Erik's B.O.A.T.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Re: Erik's B.O.A.T.

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:03 pm

well i still think a signal mirror and a firesteel are better than a fresnal lense and other shiny stuff that could tear up or break.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:36 pm

1stcavmp77 wrote:well i still think a signal mirror and a firesteel are better than a fresnal lense and other shiny stuff that could tear up or break.
We know. The fresnel lens is not the same as a signal mirror anyway. And signal mirrors are not indestructible, they would certainly fall into the category of "shiny stuff that could tear up or break."

Please step away from your computer and go outside for a while. You may learn to do less talking.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Veritas wrote:
1stcavmp77 wrote:well i still think a signal mirror and a firesteel are better than a fresnal lense and other shiny stuff that could tear up or break.
We know. The fresnel lens is not the same as a signal mirror anyway. And signal mirrors are not indestructible, they would certainly fall into the category of "shiny stuff that could tear up or break."

Please step away from your computer and go outside for a while. You may learn to do less talking.
i never said a fresnel lense was the same thing as a signal mirror. if you were paying attention you'd know that. i'm saying that a firesteel would be better than a fresnel lense or a magnifying glass. they work 24/7 sunny or cloudy, day or night. and with the mirror tape that has been advocated on this thread i'd be worried about it tearing. while a signal mirror is far from indestructable i would think it is much sturdier than a piece of mirror tape that is after all just a piece of tape.

cssims

Post by cssims » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:18 am

A little food for thought on the venerable Altoids Tin.

When I first started reading up on using the Altoids Tin, it sounded great. Then I found out there are 2 problems with it.

1: it rusts
2: it leaks (Either at the hinges, you can see the holes, or tin edge.)

Take one of the extra tins you have and put some water in it. Close it and leave it sitting for a few days. (Outside preferably.) You'll see that in short order it will rust a good bit.

While I like the idea of the tin as a backup I think you're better off putting the contents in an Omniseal type pouch. (The plastic pouches that a lot of the AMK kits come in and you can buy them seperately.)

I know that the tin could be used to boil water in an emergency, but when it begins to rust it is no longer useful. Sure you could clean out the rust with sand, but is it really worth the effort? Guess it really depends on the situation.

Also yes you should have a fresnel lens. It's not just for starting fires. You can use it to read fine print, dig a thorn or stinger out, or many other uses. I think I have around 5 or 6 spread out amongst my multiple IFAKS and mini survival kits.

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:00 pm

another cool thing about altoids tins is they fit in gi compass/first aid pouches great. you could make your self a bat belt with enough tins and pouches. :P

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:21 pm

about the things i carry on my "survival necklace" they could also be put on a carabiner on your belt if ya don't like the necklace thing.

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:31 pm

i have since my last post in this thread put all my stuff i had on a neck lanyard on a cheap "not for climbing" 'biner. hangs really well on a belt loop or belt and i can put more stuff in a buboat now.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:56 pm

cssims wrote:A little food for thought on the venerable Altoids Tin.
Most BOATs are wrapped in duct tape or have been taped with 88 to keep it dry.
It's your last ditch item, you don't use it for EDC stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Explorer

Post by Explorer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Post Removed by Author
Last edited by Explorer on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

cssims

Post by cssims » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:18 am

bltjr1951 wrote:
cssims wrote:A little food for thought on the venerable Altoids Tin.
Most BOATs are wrapped in duct tape or have been taped with 88 to keep it dry.
It's your last ditch item, you don't use it for EDC stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It may be a last ditch item, but in my opinion one would be better off putting it something that you can get into quickly and one handed if need be. If it's wrapped in duct tape and one of your hands has been injured severely you aren't going to be getting into the B.O.A.T. quickly or easily.

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:28 am

I got too bored reading all the responses but here is my suggestion. Sorry if it has already been covered. The needle. Just one? Needles break pretty often. I would have at the least two, just in case you have a dud one and it breaks on your fist stitch.
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:47 am

Dirge, I know a lot of people don’t like the wire saws, but I have used them without any real problems (we used them for taking sheep’s horns off). The biggest problem with them is if you kink the wire, they just snap. I know a lot of people like to use paracord as a handle, but I have always preferred using a sapling to make a bow saw. Like all things there are going to be tradeoffs.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:37 am

cssims wrote:It may be a last ditch item, but in my opinion one would be better off putting it something that you can get into quickly and one handed if need be. If it's wrapped in duct tape and one of your hands has been injured severely you aren't going to be getting into the B.O.A.T. quickly or easily.
Oh please, IF frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass when they jumped.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:35 pm

pay attention to the end section of this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5lR_4eM ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my thoughts exactly.

Austinius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Lucid Dreams aren't movies.

Post by Austinius » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:26 pm

The altoids survival tin a big thing in the new wave of survivalists. I've spent a great deal of time improving mine and finding something that has made my day, night, and a few weird situations, a lot easier.

If you plan on using a wire saw, go with the round altoids tin. Splurge on a few twisty ties to make holding it in place easier. 550 cord is cool and all, but I keep mine on a lanyard for my keys. Important note for those of you who're trying to make these, The rectangular altoids tin is not water proof unless you cover the edges with tape or something. My friend went to puerto rico with his, and after an expedition through swampy territory found all the metal components were rusted out.

The tin includes:
-Wire Saw
-A packet of salt (salt is vital to one's survival)
-2 Water Purification tablets (good for one liter each)
-5 yards of floss (yes that round looking thing to the right of the purification tablets is all floss. Can be used for anything from sewing to lashing)
-a P-38 can opener (the survivalist prepares for anything and everything possible, including finding a can of tuna in the woods)
-2 straight razor blades
-A fishing kit (contains 2 small snap swivels and 2 medium snap swivels, 2 small hooks, two medium hooks, 2 clothes pins, 1 small weight and a very small glow stick)
-6 feet of stainless steel utility wire
-a 50' spool of 10.5 lb nylon test line that can double as thread and fishing line
-a condom wrapped in 4 twisty ties (to take up less space and combine with the sandwich baggie for a solar still)
-3' of duct tape
-A spark-lite fire starter (I swapped it in for 4 strike anywhere matches that were in my old kit. This is a godsend)
-1 metal/wood saw
-1 wood saw
-2 sandwich baggies
-2 pieces of tinder quik
-a button compass
-a trick relighting birthday candle (I highly recommend one)
-a small piece of tinder fungus (hey I had the tinder fungus and I had some room, why not?)
-20 feet of high strength (20 lb test) sewing thread, and then your basic hotel free sewing kit
-2 immodium pills
-2 aleve pills
-2 sets of 3' of brass wire
-2 small fishing weights
-a large heavy dude needle
-a small piece of flint (took it off the bottom of my extra orange matchbox)
-7 butterfly closures
-1 packet of neosporin
-5 strike anywhere matches
-a striker
-and cotton to fill all the tiny nooks and crannys that were left

I coated the bottom of the Tin in hot glue from a glue gun, which can be melted back down into an adhesive if needed.

Let me know if your interested in seeing the wallet or keys. I'd be happy to post pictures of them.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:42 pm

1stcavmp77 wrote:pay attention to the end section of this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5lR_4eM ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my thoughts exactly.
Holy crap. My life is changed.

Dude, go away. I like this idea. Other people in this thread like this idea. You don't, we know. Get over it. Wait, I guess I didn't need to put this on here, I can ignore this joker right?

Let me just put this out there for anyone else coming into these threads:
-No, they are not water proof.
-No, this is not a replacement for a BOB/GHB/etc.
-Yes, there are better options.
-Why do we do it? I do so for entertainment and for the several times I have used my BOAT on hikes. There is no reason why we can't discuss this while other parts of this site are discussing the best way to construct a zombie barricade. 1stcavmpjackass, do you go over to those threads and constantly point out that zombies don't exist?

Austinius:
I like it. I like the round tin also. I switched my razor blades to scalpel blades because they come in foil packaging. The advantage of the razor blades you have is the rounded metal on the back that lets you hold onto it and cut better.

I also like that you included floss, I have some floss in mine but I have not used it yet.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Veritas wrote:
1stcavmp77 wrote:pay attention to the end section of this vid.

my thoughts exactly.
Holy crap. My life is changed.

Dude, go away. I like this idea. Other people in this thread like this idea. You don't, we know. Get over it. Wait, I guess I didn't need to put this on here, I can ignore this joker right?

Let me just put this out there for anyone else coming into these threads:
-No, they are not water proof.
-No, this is not a replacement for a BOB/GHB/etc.
-Yes, there are better options.
-Why do we do it? I do so for entertainment and for the several times I have used my BOAT on hikes. There is no reason why we can't discuss this while other parts of this site are discussing the best way to construct a zombie barricade. 1stcavmpjackass, do you go over to those threads and constantly point out that zombies don't exist?

Austinius:
I like it. I like the round tin also. I switched my razor blades to scalpel blades because they come in foil packaging. The advantage of the razor blades you have is the rounded metal on the back that lets you hold onto it and cut better.

I also like that you included floss, I have some floss in mine but I have not used it yet.
alright "smartguy" did you even watch the vid? i guess probably not. i'm not saying the boat idea is all bad just that it's so easy to supplement it with a bunch of little stuff that could add redundancy and things that are actually useful that can be carried on a carabiner on your belt. also why the insistance on carrying only one "boat"? was my post that these fit great in a compass/first aid pouch completely missed? why not get several of these pouches and carry multiple "boats"? instead of dental floss why not carry a hundred feet of paracord? then you've got seven hundred feet of thread that is stronger than floss. not trying to completely discount the bob idea just saying that planning on trying to survive with just one "boat" is utterly rediculous. at least carry more than one and put some things that will actually help you survive in them. i really can't think of a realistic scenario that would cause you to lose your entire kit and be down to just one "boat". to me if you think you might possibly be in that type of scenario then you should carry several "boats" on a belt and some things on a carabiner on your belt.

watch these vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ISSZKc ... annel_page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAdaOOud ... annel_page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teWko9n1 ... annel_page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simple ideas that make the whole "boat" concept irrelevant.

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Could be a conflict of ideas here, the reason that “survival tins” became popular in the UK is because they could be carried in a smock pocket. These tins were the only thing we could carry on the survival exercise (early 80). One of my mates in the COP platoon carried two tins on a cord under his shirt.

Ok I know if things had got “strained” with the soviets back in the 80’s they would never have taken people of my rank prisoner, but the idea was if you had been captured and webbing removed you could E&E on the contents of your tin.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:00 pm

ok that makes sense. i guess if you were captured for some reason and they took all your stuff you could hide a tin on your body somewhere i guess. but for normal everyday applications i just don't see any reason to put yourself in a scenario where all you have is a "boat".

Austinius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Lucid Dreams aren't movies.

Post by Austinius » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:48 pm

1stcavmp77 wrote:ok that makes sense. i guess if you were captured for some reason and they took all your stuff you could hide a tin on your body somewhere i guess. but for normal everyday applications i just don't see any reason to put yourself in a scenario where all you have is a "boat".
When the time comes to use a Survival Tin, you'd have to be an idiot to have forced yourself into that situation. It's easy to take the tins everywhere and if you ever end up needing it, it'll probably be because something you didn't plan for happened.

You carry the tin around, because you'd look like a loon if you were constantly carrying your BOB.

Red Cell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by Red Cell » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:10 am

Tins are great for those purpose specific items.

grease wood shavings/Steel wool
Soap
Small game traps
Medications/vitamins
Cigars
Contact lens kit
Fishing kit
Fire kit
Notepad/pencil/mini glow stick
Mini tool kit
Aqua kit - Purification tabs, Oven bag, Bandana,
Wallet Items - Cash/coins/Tags/ID
Shave kit - Straight razor, Soap, Mirror
Photos
You can waterproof them with gaffers tape.
END THE FED

IAmWillIAm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Resident Evil(s)
The Evil Dead

In no way contributes to this thread

Post by IAmWillIAm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:20 am

bltjr1951 wrote:
1stcavmp77 wrote: "Fine. Your driving in a truck you borrowed, and it catches on fire. you break out the glass and must leave bob. Truck explodes, falls off cliff, gets desolved by radioactive acid, and gets molested by zombie Michel Jackson similtaniouly. No bob. Only gear in pockets. Happy? Plus i use what's in mine."
Fixed that for you.
I know, completely off topic, but it made me giggle.
P.A.C.E- Primary Alternate Contingency Emergency
Always Be Prepared.
LowKey wrote:" Add to the definition of assault weapon to include additional weapons (A.6157/Titone);"

All of them. Even the dreaded assault flintlock used by "assault troops" during the war. The Revolutionary War....

bltjr1951

Re: In no way contributes to this thread

Post by bltjr1951 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:52 am

IAmWillIAm wrote:
bltjr1951 wrote:
1stcavmp77 wrote: "Fine. Your driving in a truck you borrowed, and it catches on fire. you break out the glass and must leave bob. Truck explodes, falls off cliff, gets desolved by radioactive acid, and gets molested by zombie Michel Jackson similtaniouly. No bob. Only gear in pockets. Happy? Plus i use what's in mine."
Fixed that for you.
I know, completely off topic, but it made me giggle.
Actually, it was a quote from PCP on another thread about mini PSKs.

1stcavmp77 is a BOAT/mini PSK unbeliever, but he can't stay away from posting here.
-fenris-

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:19 pm

sorry but the whole "i'm gonna survive on only what's in my 'boat' because i don't want to carry anything else at all" idea is ludicrous to me. it's chimp simple to carry a small knife, small compass, whistle, firesteel and a small flashlight on a carabiner on your belt (these are things that don't fit easily in an altoids tin) and that way you can carry the other small stuff in a tin (like tinder, an actual signal mirror, maybe even a couple bandaids or whatever type of self stuff you want). or just as simple to carry multiple tins in compass pouches on your belt. how long are you going to be able to survive on the things in one altoids tin? :roll: common sense tells me that the single "boat" concept is seriously flawed. there's no reason to me to think that if you lost your belt that the stuff in your pockets is still gonna be there because if you lose your belt that is holding your pants up then your pants are probably gonna fall off too.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”