Erik's B.O.A.T.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Re: Erik's B.O.A.T.

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:25 pm

get rid of the mag glass and put in a fire steel. replace the rubber bands with ranger bands. also i'm pretty sure some company out there makes a signal mirror that would fit in that kit. do yourself a favor and make a lanyard/necklace with some edc basic survival items on it. i have a paracord necklace with a small folding knife, lmf firesteel and striker, small flashlight, cheapo freebie compass someone gave me, and a whistle on it that i put on every morning when i get dressed. it's a little bulky but you get used to it. also don't braid it. you want it to break or come untied in case you get it hung up on something. this would go a long way toward increasing your basic edc survival capabilites. with my little necklace i have fire, signaling, navigation, and light covered. and i didn't take the guts out of the paracord so i've got some extra string also. i also wear two paracord bracelets at all times so i've got a little extra cord there too. :mrgreen:

blueblue

Post by blueblue » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Fresnel lense...I've used one of the old fashioned glass watch lenses once to see if it worked...it worked. Not as good as a magnifying glass in terms of flame start. I used paper for practicing...you can see the brown dot better. I had to persist a bit.

Veritas...thanks for the headsup...hadn't tried it in low light.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:45 pm

While walking in the auto parts at Walmart, I saw a "cut to fit" mirror sheet. Then I thought, "cut to fit" a BOAT lid? Why polish??
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:18 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade, bltjr1951, but John McCann in his book, Build the Perfect Survival Kit, beat you to the mirror-sheet in the BOAT idea. But good idea none-the-less, right? God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.

-fenris-
"How quickly a man takes on the qualities of darkness. Men who live by night; the soldier, the thief, the traveller by night, the vagabond... theirs is a different way of thinking, and they do not fear the dark nor what may come upon them by night because they themselves are of the night, a part of it." ~louis lamour

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:28 pm

i know you can't call it a BOAT, but i use small plano stowaway boxes, 5"x3"x1". still small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, but more room than a tin.
add a condom (for water), 10x10 of tin foil (for cooking), a razor blade (for skinning and fileting), water tabs, cotton balls, and whatever you can stuff in the extra space.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Fenris wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade, bltjr1951, but John McCann in his book, Build the Perfect Survival Kit, beat you to the mirror-sheet in the BOAT idea. But good idea none-the-less, right? God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Gee, I'm sorry if you thought I was in a parade. I've never read that book and I imagine he's mentioned everything that all the other people have posted too. Could you check that out for us?? So, God-speed on you too. I was getting tired of all the chocolate posts. lolz

BTW, the OP is talking about a BOAT. Not a necklace, soapdish, bait box, DCON container, etc.
But fenris didn't catch those posts, so I won't harp on it. Just so he doesn't pick on me only.
Last edited by bltjr1951 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:31 am

why not just get a signal mirror? they will fit in an altoids tin with no problem and won't break or otherwise tear up.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:48 am

1stcavmp77 wrote:why not just get a signal mirror? they will fit in an altoids tin with no problem and won't break or otherwise tear up.
How thick is the signal mirror compared to a mirror sheet??
There's just so much room in a BOAT.
But, just ask fenris if John McCann mentioned it first. lolz
-fenris-

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:04 pm

not sure on the thickness of the signal mirror, but i do know it's not much. and it's probably a lot brighter than a piece of mirror tape plus some of them come with instructions on how to use them. i still think Erik would be well served with a good edc bag and then there's a lot more he can carry as far as things to help him out on a daily basis as well as being able to carry emergency supplies.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 am

1stcavmp77 wrote:i still think Erik would be well served with a good edc bag and then there's a lot more he can carry as far as things to help him out on a daily basis as well as being able to carry emergency supplies.
Well yeah, he could carry a suitcase full of stuff too. But, I don't think you have the idea of the BOAT down pat. It's the last ditch item when you've lost all of your other EDC, PSK, FAK, pack, car, etc. ie: all you've got is your pants with a BOAT in a pocket.
-fenris-

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:51 pm

i'm not even sure what to say to that. to me it just makes sense that if you want to carry stuff to help you in an emergency situation then you would do a lot better if you at least had some stuff on a lanyard around your neck like i posted already. i mean how could you lose all your stuff? i could see if maybe if was all confiscated then yeah sure, it's feasable. but i would think if somebody is confiscating your edc stuff then surely they will check your pockets too. and if you lose your pants for some reason then there goes your boat too. at least if it's around your neck your not gonna drop it or lose it unless you're just being completely careless. :roll:

Bonecrusher Doc

Post by Bonecrusher Doc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:34 am

Wow, I kinda underestimated the humble Altoid tin survival kit until I read this thread. I think everybody's going to have their own preferences, depending on if they anticipate using the kit for 1) a few hours when their car/boat breaks down 2) a few days while awaiting rescue in the wilderness, or 3) the beginnings of a Robinson Crusoe-type epic survival experience.

Personally I carry a multitool so I would ditch the knife, can opener, and the saw. I also wear a compass on my watch strap and I have a small LED light on my keychain so I wouldn't need those in the Altoids tin either, except for redundancy's sake.
I've never tried using a firesteel because I thought I'd need prepared tinder, but combined with the metal pencil sharpener it might be just the thing for a backup to a lighter.
I would definitely have a signal mirror high in the priority list.
I suspect an emergency blanket will not fit but I'll have to take a look.
Nonlubricated condoms for water and a couple of purification tabs of some type.
Possibly more important than firemaking materials for me, since I don't spend much time in total wilderness environments, would be medicine. I would say an NSAID, some acetaminophen, an antihistamine and an anti-diarrheal.
I also agree with the guy who said bring enough quarters to buy a drink from a vending machine!

Now I just need to go buy some Altoids.
Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonecrusher Doc wrote: I'd say this has at least a little justification as a mental exercise.
JamesCannon wrote:Yes, well there's the right way and wrong way to exercise, and the wrong way can lead to injury and/or damage. :P

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:22 pm

i have three altoids tins ranger banded onto my camillus marine fighter that hold a small fishing kit, matches and dryer and a lighter, and a small fak with bandaids, some med tape and a gauze pad.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:07 pm

1stcavmp77 wrote:i mean how could you lose all your stuff? at least if it's around your neck your not gonna drop it or lose it unless you're just being completely careless. :roll:
Here's PCP's answer from the other BOAT thread:
"Fine. Your driving in a truck you borrowed, and it catches on fire. you break out the glass and must leave bob. Truck explodes, falls off cliff, gets desolved by radioactive acid, and gets molested by Michel Jackson similtaniouly. No bob. Only gear in pockets. Happy? Plus i use what's in mine."

As you fell down cliff, your necklace snagged on a tree root and tore off. Read the other BOAT thread. Or you could go find the necklace thread and get your rocks off there.
-fenris-

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:42 am

What does it say about your product when the tin your product comes in is more popular than your product?
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:43 pm

just seems rediculous to count only the things you can fit into an altoids tin. that's not much to have when your life is on the line. plus it's so easy to make a lanyard you can put around your neck and carry things that are actually worth having in an emergency. i guess the idea of having only one boat is a stupid concept to me when it's so easy to carry more than will fit into one. :roll:

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:21 pm

1stcavmp77 wrote:just seems rediculous to count only the things you can fit into an altoids tin. that's not much to have when your life is on the line. plus it's so easy to make a lanyard you can put around your neck and carry things that are actually worth having in an emergency. i guess the idea of having only one boat is a stupid concept to me when it's so easy to carry more than will fit into one. :roll:
Like someone else said, unless you have your BoB shoved up your own arse with a guide wire hanging out there is always the possibility that you could be without it when you need it. The BOAT concept is just a very minor thing you can literally put anywhere, like a suit pocket at a meeting, or in the back of your shorts for a day at the beach (shoved in a ziplock).

It may not be 'enough' but it is 'something'... many people have stepped away from their campsite to take a leak, or away from their broke down car only to find themselves lost and walking in circles.

Id rather have a B.O.A.T. in my pocket to survive on, than just my shoelaces if I didn't make one.

BOAT = Get me to my GHB/BoB
GHB = Get me to my BIL/BoB
BoB = Get me to my BOL
INCH = God help us all, I'm makin' waffles!

Ill post my own BOAT soon, I cant figure out what to put in this small area the size of a AA battery inside... once I figure that part out I will post my own.

In short, don't be hatin'
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 pm

not trying to hate. just saying that i think carrying only a boat is willingly going less prepared than you have to. i doubt many people would notice if you were wearing a "survival necklace" under your normal clothes or even a suit. all i did was put a whistle, small flashlight, firesteel and striker, small folding knife, and a small freebie compass somebody gave me on a piece of paracord to hang around my neck it's not like it's noticeable and i've got more on that than could be carried in a boat. add it to your edw and you have added a lot to your minimal survival gear. i even carried it my carryon through an airport recently minus the knife of course. and i've got several of the basics covered. signalling, navigation, fire, light, and a small blade with this very simple to make setup. and i've got it all stuffed into a three inch length of bicycle inner tube except for the flashlight.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:08 pm

1stcavmp77 wrote:not trying to hate. just saying that i think carrying only a boat is willingly going less prepared than you have to. i doubt many people would notice if you were wearing a "survival necklace" under your normal clothes or even a suit. all i did was put a whistle, small flashlight, firesteel and striker, small folding knife, and a small freebie compass somebody gave me on a piece of paracord to hang around my neck it's not like it's noticeable and i've got more on that than could be carried in a boat. add it to your edw and you have added a lot to your minimal survival gear. i even carried it my carryon through an airport recently minus the knife of course. and i've got several of the basics covered. signalling, navigation, fire, light, and a small blade with this very simple to make setup. and i've got it all stuffed into a three inch length of bicycle inner tube except for the flashlight.
none of your posts make any sense. who said anything about carrying ONLY a boat? we all here have bob's, edc's, ghb's and use them accordingly.
the point is to spread load your gear. carry a bob on your back, a boat in your shirt pocket, edc crap in your pants pockets. there's no way you can hang more gear on a necklace than can be fit in a boat, simple because many items cannot be hung on anything. we spread load in case we must ditch to live. say your bugging out and must cross a fast moving river (maybe high due to rain) and you loose your footing, then your choice is ditch your bob or let it drag you under? and i find your necklace flawed. there's a reason dogtags are on a crappy little chain. i don't want a weighted piece of 550 cord wrapped around my neck. a survival key fob is a better choice, but nothing without a "break link" goes around my throat. and it's not because i worry about catching it on something, it's the same reason i keep a regulation haircut even now that i'm out. i don't plan on giving the other guy a handhold. and i don't see your logic. how is a piece of bike tube with only half the gear more prepared than a boat?

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:46 pm

mmeh. ok. i guess i see your point. but, didn't the op say something about not carrying anything else? just a boat? :roll: i can see the merits of a back up boat in which case it would be a buboat. lol. sometimes i crack me up. :lol: i still think he would be better off with a signal mirror and a firesteel instead of a fresnal(spelling?) lense. i guess that's why i carry three altoids tins on my bush knife. i refuse to be less prepared than i absolutley have to be.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:03 pm

1stcavmp,

Uh yeah, it's really easy to be prepared when you have all your kit at your disposal. when you don't have it that's what really tests you. And it's pretty obvious that no one save you, is advocating ONLY having a BOAT. But this thread is about the BOAT specifically.

Ideally one has a tiered approach to kit. BOAT and essentials in your pockets. These never leave your person. And this is the thread for examining BOAT contents.
Then belt order (probably has it's own thread out there) which gives you a little more latitude in your resources, and only comes off your body when necessary. Your belt order should be able to sustain your for a full 72 hours. Good folks (me for example ;) ) can live off of their belt order for weeks. Disposable if necessary.
Finally your bergen (plenty of threads on the contents of one's bergen). Luxuries and snivel kit. Disposable.

Nobody sleeps with his bergen on. Few of us sleep with our belt order on. But a BOAT (we used to make them out of soap tins) should never leave your body unless in use. So even if you have to leap up from a sound sleep and flee for your life from a Stobor, you always have that on you.

Possibly you know a very great deal and if so, your contributions are very welcome. But I've been following several threads where you have contributed and that is not what you portray. I suggest post less, read more, learn lots more and understand and follow the forum rules.

Welcome to ZS, don't fuck it up.
ImageImage

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:14 pm

i wasn't advocating having only a boat. never said anything like that. i'm all for having a buboat (back up boat). i guess i misunderstood the part about having only a boat.

Explorer

Post by Explorer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:59 pm

Post Removed by Author
Last edited by Explorer on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:20 am

I have put scalpel blades in all my little kits like this. They are packaged in foil sleeves, so there is no rust issue, and if you actually had to cut skin, they would be sterile out of the package. They won't make a spear, but they could gut a fish or rodent (probably couldn't skin with it though).

I just got a new tin, I need to repost my new and improved BOAT. Start getting excited.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Return to “Bug Out Gear”