Erik's B.O.A.T.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Erik's B.O.A.T.

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:27 pm

I found a magnifying sheet in the stationary dept. of a local dollar store. I was able to cut the stuff down to the size of a credit card (probably enough for 10 card sized pieces) and now have one in my B.O.A.T, B.O.B., F.A.K., and just about any other abbreviation we use here. Just a suggestion.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Nice little knife that i keep in my B.O.A.T. Might save you some space then the knife i saw in your's Erik.

Instructions on how to make your own
What got me started before I found Zombie Squad -have to give credit to what started me off
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

When you can't run you crawl, and when you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you. - Firefly

Explorer

Post by Explorer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Post Removed by Author
Last edited by Explorer on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MyDogMike

Post by MyDogMike » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:35 am

Lots of good suggestions here. I'll have to take some pics of my own BOAT but most of it's contents have either been shown or discussed here. One thing I do have that may not be of as much importance to others is a small survival manual (at least that's what I'm calling it) like the one I keep at the bottom my BOAT. It's communication-based as it contains the most basic info I would need to quickly reference in an emergency. Just a small list of phone numbers of family/friends/emergency services, a copy of international morse code (for the boyscout in all of us), and personal info (like my contact lense prescription, blood type, allergies), also would come in handy if I'm injured and can't communicate. Plus, I have a sh*tty memory so that's the main reason why I chose to include it.

Let me stress that all this can be found elsewhere on my person, but I kinda got the impression that we're talking worse case scenario here.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Dirge wrote:You know that BOAT stands for: Bug Out Altoids Tin, right? Cause I don't think that knife will fit in a BOAT...
Dude, that "knife" is a piece of hacksaw blade. Look at the site.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:49 pm

BullOnParade wrote:I found a magnifying sheet in the stationary dept. of a local dollar store. I was able to cut the stuff down to the size of a credit card (probably enough for 10 card sized pieces) and now have one in my B.O.A.T, B.O.B., F.A.K., and just about any other abbreviation we use here. Just a suggestion.
Whoa dude, did you check with fenris before you posted??
Fenris wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade, bltjr1951, but John McCann in his book, Build the Perfect Survival Kit, beat you to the mirror-sheet in the BOAT idea. But good idea none-the-less, right? God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Dirge wrote:
Some Guy wrote:Nice little knife that i keep in my B.O.A.T. Might save you some space then the knife i saw in your's Erik.

You know that BOAT stands for: Bug Out Altoids Tin, right? Cause I don't think that knife will fit in a BOAT...
Maybe this will give a better view of how big the knife really is
What got me started before I found Zombie Squad -have to give credit to what started me off
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

When you can't run you crawl, and when you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you. - Firefly

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Some Guy wrote:Nice little knife that i keep in my B.O.A.T. Might save you some space then the knife i saw in your's Erik.

you know that's actually a great idea, and i'm going to make some at the shop tomorrow. BUT, did you have to re-temper it? how does it hold and edge?

tilt

Post by tilt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:03 pm

AgentBlack wrote:

you know that's actually a great idea, and i'm going to make some at the shop tomorrow. BUT, did you have to re-temper it? how does it hold and edge?
The most common practice is to go slow with the grinder and keep the blade cool so as to not lose the temper, then as soon as possible, work the blade by hand to put the edge on. With a hacksaw blade as the base, if one were to heat it up and lose the temper, it would almost be cheaper to throw that piece of blade out and start over than it would to re-temper and heat treat the blade again.
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

bltjr1951

Re:

Post by bltjr1951 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Blood_Moon wrote:I would say ditch the p-38. I had one that didn't even make it through one can of pears before wearing down and bending, but maybe I just got a crappy one. :roll:
I just now noticed your little jest?
WWII, Korean and Vietnam vets still use theirs. And just because you got a crappy one, none are good??
I'm still using mine from the 70s.
-fenris-

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:07 am

I think thats a matter of which one you can get. I have some new production 38's. They are not very swell, not totally trash by any measure...but you can definitely the mojo is fading by the fourth or fifth can.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Rainman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, 28 Days Later

Post by Rainman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 pm

tagged for future reference

lunchboxTBC
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by lunchboxTBC » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Hm, I like this idea... I have some questions/comments from the first page though,

How about cutting a square hole in the lid and Gorilla gluing a signal mirror to the outside of it, shiny side in... That gives you a mirror, and a tiny bit more room inside.

The only time I had a wire saw not break was when I used it under water, maybe they just get hot and brittle faster than their useful life. The hacksaw knife thing on this page seems like a better solution if you dont want to pack a multitool.

REI has waterproof windproof matches with extra strike strips, maybe glue the strip to the inside of the tin and pack 10 of those matches.

I like the re-lighting candle idea

I like the para cord around the outside, and the bands over that, but why not drop the whole tin into a quart sized ziplock freezer bag? You could even wrap it up and stick a few more rubber bands around it.

With all the rodents in the central valley where I live, i think a small roll of picture hanging wife for snares might be a good idea...

I am going to have to whip one of these up... thanks for the 3 or 4 pages of ideas guys!
Someone asked me about my bug out bag last week, "You have all this STUFF in your truck, do you want the world to end?"
I said, "That's like saying someone who carries a spare tire around WANTS to get a flat or someone that carries around jumper cables WANTS a dead battery.
He didn't get it.

bltjr1951

Re:

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:48 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Get some reflective/chrome/foil tape and stick it to the inside of your lid. A little mirror comes in handy for checking how bad the laceration on your forehead is and signaling and so on. Takes up a wee-bit of room (thickness of material being used).
I'm sorry I didn't notice this before I mentioned my idea about mirror from auto section.
But I wonder why Mr fenris didn't jump all over Mr ninja-elbow for his great idea???

I'm trying to find any "your stuff sucks" post I made, per Mr Veritas.
Does Mr Veritas tell people to ignore fenris cause he says people's ideas suck??
-fenris-

Veritas

Re: Re:

Post by Veritas » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:35 pm

bltjr1951 wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:Get some reflective/chrome/foil tape and stick it to the inside of your lid. A little mirror comes in handy for checking how bad the laceration on your forehead is and signaling and so on. Takes up a wee-bit of room (thickness of material being used).
I'm sorry I didn't notice this before I mentioned my idea about mirror from auto section.
But I wonder why Mr fenris didn't jump all over Mr ninja-elbow for his great idea???

I'm trying to find any "your stuff sucks" post I made, per Mr Veritas.
Does Mr Veritas tell people to ignore fenris cause he says people's ideas suck??
Man, I am pissing off everybody lately.

I take it back, I don't want to start some terrible thread war..I am already doing that with the artist formerly known as DTOM. Sorry bro.

Besides, fenris' comment made me laugh. No offense.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

argyre

Post by argyre » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:20 am

Lunchbox,
As someone else who also has "all this stuff in your(my) truck!" - I find that if anyone questions this, point out that you go camping and exploring out in the desert, far from roads and towns, and have needed all that stuff at one point of another.

(Even if you don't...)
Mag Pouch Kit Contest Entry - French Press based: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0#p1275085
NEF/H&R Survivor Handi-Rifle survival kit: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=72375

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Re:

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Indiana wrote:I'd keep the magnifying glass because it is a fire making method that will never run out, but maybe change for a small plastic fresnel lens. Mine is about as thick as two sheets of paper, so it takes almost no room. It's credit card sized and actually lives in my wallet.
It will run out at night. That's when you need fire the most (as posted previously)
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:36 pm

1stcavmp77 wrote:pay attention to the end section of this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5lR_4eM ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my thoughts exactly.
Damn it! That vid just burst my bubble! I definitely subscribed to that youtube channel. But... I am making my BOAT anyway.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Return to “Bug Out Gear”