Questions about the water in your BOB...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gorebucket

Questions about the water in your BOB...

Post by Gorebucket » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:56 am

Well, I filled up my bottles sometime last month and figured while I was poking through my BOB I'd go ahead and freshen up the water. I'm not really sure how often it needs to be replaced, but it's not something you can do too often. That made me wonder how often everyone else does this and do they take any other special precautions with their water? So...

- How often do you replace the water in your BOB?

- Do you filter the water you keep in your BOB?

- Do you chemically treat the water you keep in your BOB?

I run mine through a faucet mount Pur filter and that's it. Haven't had my BOB long enough to establish a routine, but the water I put in last month was clear and didn't kill me when I drank it so... :roll:

tilt

Post by tilt » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:24 am

We use bottled water at the house and it gets rotated everytime we go for a hike and drink it, then put more in when we get home.

I have a few Nalgene bottles, but I don't keep them filled. I just keep them clean and on the standby. If I really need water in those, it means that there is no more bottled water in the house or either truck (about 10 days worth of drinking water pooled together).

In fact, the one Nalgene bottle in my emergency gear has a pair of sunglasses stuffed inside a fleece pouch and then put in the bottle to protect it from getting crushed...

Realistically, you'll probably be trying to carry about 24 hours of water before trying to purify (if on foot). Just carry 24 hours of bottled water (which is sealed at the factory) and rotate it every month or so.
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

shenkhu

Post by shenkhu » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:27 am

my bottles are ready to fill with a gallon of water right next to my BOB, i carry around 3 liters in 2 canteens for now, but will probably upgrade this spring
in the begining, there were man and wolfes, not quite enemies, not quite friends.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:40 pm

I keep enough bottled water to fill all of my canteens and jugs and then some. I keep the canteens, bladders and jugs clean, empty and dry.
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Same as Dak
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:39 pm

As others have said, I keep the canteens/bottles empty with bottled water nearby to fill them. Plus empty water bottles will be at a a good thing to have in the PAW. I rotate the bottles out once a year.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Dak Kovar wrote:I keep enough bottled water to fill all of my canteens and jugs and then some. I keep the canteens, bladders and jugs clean, empty and dry.
DK
Same, though I also keep a case of bottled water in my vehicle at all times just in case.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Me too. I keep a flat and a half of water in the Jeep, and drink it when I get thirsty. When I get below one case I put another flat in. That way I always have rotated water.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Doop123

Post by Doop123 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:58 pm

same as crypto.
"No one man can defeat an army, but one thousand have a chance."

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:29 pm

I just keep my Nalgenes filled with filtered tap water. Or just tap water. I have 2 in my GHB, one in by go bag, one in my manpurse, and another one at the head of my bed or on my desk. I usually have my GHB with me, and I always have my murse with me, and I'm always drinking water out of them. So I go through a bottle or two a day, and I (sometimes) wash out the empties, fill them back up with water, and put them at the bottom of the stack again. (Go bag -> GHB -> Murse -> bedside) The bedside one is usually half full or so and goes in and out of rotation.

Stay hydrated! its good for you! Soda is bad for you, don't drink it at every meal! Even when you have a beverage besides water, drink a little bit of water anyways with it. Keeps you hydrated. Especially if you're drinking something like caffeine or alcohol, that contributes to dehydration.

I also keep a flat of 1/2 L bottles in my trunk, cause taking Nalgenes out on the boat is a sure way to lose it.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:39 am

Pretty much the same as DAK. My naglene bottles and bladders are clean/dry/sealed and I have 8 to 12 half liter water bottles I rotate through. Also have water tabs and gatorade mixes in my vehicle carried GHB which I ought to get around to posting at some point.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Loquinho
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead 2004, Zombieland

Post by Loquinho » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:04 am

So most of you don't keep water ready to go in your bag?

I'd always worked under the assumption that the BOB was something which you could grab and evacuate within seconds. Especially if you're part of a larger evacuation, sometimes it's a "only 1 bag, only what you can carry", etc. deal. If the water meant for your BOB is kept beside it with the thought that you'll fill all your canteens, nalgenes, reservoirs, etc. when you have to leave, wouldn't that add a good bit of time to your evacuation?
"[Girl], don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
- Malcom Reynolds

Tactical Badger

Post by Tactical Badger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 am

Well...I don't know about everyone else. But, I'm working under the assumption that I will either have the 60 seconds to fill water bottles before I bug out on foot, or if I'm bugging out by vehicle, I'll grab a couple of the 6 gallon jugs I have already filled.

Absolute worst case is I have to literally run out of my house without grabbing water. I live in Ohio though, there's water laying around everywhere. I always have the means to make clean water in my BOB and EDC.

I'm sure if I lived in a more arid enviroment, I'd do things differently though. I do keep a couple of bottles of water in my vehicle. But, my plan is to make water instead of carry large quantities of it.
"When I pictured the end of the world, I knew there would be a lot of screaming and yelling. Only I thought it would be in terror, not celebration."

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:26 am

Loquinho wrote:So most of you don't keep water ready to go in your bag?

I'd always worked under the assumption that the BOB was something which you could grab and evacuate within seconds. Especially if you're part of a larger evacuation, sometimes it's a "only 1 bag, only what you can carry", etc. deal. If the water meant for your BOB is kept beside it with the thought that you'll fill all your canteens, nalgenes, reservoirs, etc. when you have to leave, wouldn't that add a good bit of time to your evacuation?
Me and Mine will not be caught up in part of an evacuation. That's what preparedness is about.

And I count on awareness to make sure I have more than a few seconds. I would not take long to dump the water from the store bought bottles in to the more durable ones. I'm trying to get home, not bug out, but the same rules apply.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Tactical Badger

Post by Tactical Badger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:31 am

What Phil said. The first thing I would do in an SHTF situation is fill water bottles. I can't think of too many scenarios where I'm Bugging Out at a dead sprint.

And yeah, I'm a Bug-Inner. My goal would be to either GET home or STAY home. Anything short of a fire in my home is going to cause me to go in to Shelter-In-Place mode. Where I have all the water I'll ever need. :wink:
"When I pictured the end of the world, I knew there would be a lot of screaming and yelling. Only I thought it would be in terror, not celebration."

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:55 am

Do you also keep your sleeping bag in a compression sack in your pack, to make it ready to go? Congradulations, you just ruined one of, if not the most expensive piece of gear. Get ready to freeze to death. If you happen to have a sleeping bag that can stay compressed, for the love of god, tell us where you got it.

A ready-to-go bag is nifty, but in my opinion a fallacy, in regards to a full BOB. Especially when you're always at different points of working on it, and having it partially unpacked and all.

I do have water ready to go, cause I do live in a bit more arid environment, and do just about all of my camping in the desert, which makes me a bit more water conscious. But I usually EDC my bag, so its easy to keep it rotated. If I had a more traditional, longer term BOB, I wouldn't keep water in it, because I wouldn't be carrying and using it every day. Having water bottles full of funky water that pose a heath risk is worse than having empty water bottles. Not only do you have to dump out all your water and get new stuff, you now have dirty water bottles and possibly diarrhea. Congratulations.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:32 am

I rotate cases of bottle water both in my car and place.

I have empty Nalgenes and Camelbacks at the ready.

But as mentioned I should toss a couple bottles in the BOB for -really- fast exits.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

SlayerRio

Post by SlayerRio » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:40 am

- I usually replace the water in my B-O-B every three months.

- I filter it through a PUR water filter and keep water-fitration tab things in the B-O-B.

- No but I would keep the bottles after they were emptied and use the aformentioned tabs to filter any replacement water if I was on the go. Otherwise, no.
-The dumb people envy the smart people, the smart envy the geniouses, and the geniouses envy the dumb people.

- Warning: Trespassers on my yard better be on good terms with Jesus.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:05 pm

A couple of bottles of Poland Spring or similar, and the means to purify more...

I generally keep some bottled water in my car, and run through it pretty regularly...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

canuck

Post by canuck » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:38 pm

I fill the camelbak and nalgenes with water when I need it for a hike.

Other than that, microbes do start to go crazy reproducing over time to create funky 70s water.
If you're not using your head, forget about survival.
czechnology wrote:Wait a minute... someone wrote a book about how to survive zombie attacks?? WE SHOULD START A FORUM ONLINE ABOUT THAT!
tireiron wrote:I would eat my own brain.

lerch

Post by lerch » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:50 pm

This is actually a good question, especially for someone new to BOB. I have plenty of bottled water on hand and a couple clean, dry Naglene bottles I just added. Always just had canteens until I read Gunny's BOB sticky.

Which reminds me what kind of metal can/pot are best to carry for boiling water?
The 1st Amendment is a promise. The 2nd Amendment is the guarantee...
farblue:
Often when I go to WW I like to try and get very unique item combinations to get together to take to the register. My favorite so far, last winter I bought a dead-blow hammer, box of condoms, ski mask, and roll of duct tape.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Loquinho wrote:So most of you don't keep water ready to go in your bag?

I keep bottled water in my BOB, for exactly that reason. I don't rotate them, at least not often: that's the point of using bottled water, for me.

I also have a Nalgene, which I keep empty and dry, except when I'm using it on hikes and such. If I had time, I'd fill it from the tap. If not, I've got the bottled water. I have an eyedropper of bleach, and some potable aqua tablets, to purify water I find after my bottled water runs out.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Same as others, as far as bottled water and empty nalgenes, specifically for my BOB. However, I have a 1/2 gallon Gatorade bottle that I keep in my truck, just in case. When filling it, I placed about 5 or 6 drops of bleach in it to keep it purified.
Like I said, this is for "just in case", as in if I am without any other water. Things would have to be pretty dire for this to be the case, however, I choose to always have a back-up, for my back-up plans. :D
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:44 pm

lerch wrote: Which reminds me what kind of metal can/pot are best to carry for boiling water?
For boiling water, it doesn't matter. Something that is water-tight. A lid is nice.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25889

Return to “Bug Out Gear”