Small Otter Dry Box; Uses?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Small Otter Dry Box; Uses?

Post by CommonHighrise » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:48 am

My local outfitters is unloading a bunch of the 3"x5" Otter boxes in various colors (yellow, blue, clear, black) for $8 ea. Im trying to figure out what I could use one for practically, other than a bulky, overkilled BOAT.

If you havent seen these, theyre polycarbonate cases, extermemly strong and crush-proof, with a solid clasp, hinge, and O-ring seal. Hence, they can (and do) get tossed into white water rapids, and keep the contents dry and afloat. These means theyll stand up to mediocre threats like rain/snow/puddles.

Any ideas?
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:49 am

I keep my digital camera in a Pelican box, which is very similar. It really works good for that.

Also, I keep my NAA mini revolver in it as well.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:55 am

cell phone
fire-starting kit
"can't lose/get wet documents" (or copies)
naa mini revolver case

if you can pick up one of two of these for me, and bring them to NNY08WCT, I'll repay you in cash with some of my homemade blueberry-brandy as a added enticement...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:28 am

nfa, I would come up there just for the home made blackberry brandy!

You use your for a NAA case as well, I see. I also use it for my cell when I go hunting/camping, etc.

We shall not sleep..."

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Post by CommonHighrise » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:31 am

I was thinking of using it for a cell and last-ditch firestarting kit. Id have to find some open cell foam to maybe pad it a bit.
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:35 am

Upholstery shops have that type of foam for little $.

I have a slightly larger Plano made box that is similar to the Pelican and Otter brands. I keep my wallet, $, pocket knife, flashlight and batteries in it when I am tent camping. Saves moisture from getting into that stuff and ruining it.

We shall not sleep..."

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:00 pm

I have a small pelican brand box, that I bought to put my cellphone and wallet and the like inside while on a boat.

I haven't found a really good use for it besides that, because its so big and bulky and all my backpacks and the like are small. Plus I don't have anything that needs to be that ruggedly protected, I can get by with ziploc baggies for my stuff.

A FAK, tinder box, document/electronics carrier are all good ideas, the kind of things you really want to keep DRY dry and not crushed.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

throwback

Post by throwback » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:08 pm

That's also what you store narcotics in in the field. makes them crush proof, and makes for ease of accountability. Also useful for any other drugs that come in glass or weak containers.
Disclaimer: *Throwbacks opinions are just his opinions. They are based on the best facts he has to hand, and sometimes in spite of them. It is possible for two intelligent people to disagree, and sometimes both of them are right.*

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:12 pm

My local Walmart is selling a type of case like this. It's for $5.00 I believe, 100% waterproof and it seems really sturdy. I might have to go pick up one more for the wife though so she could keep her firestarting pieces in it.
ImageImage

Biff

Re: Small Otter Dry Box; Uses?

Post by Biff » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Last edited by Biff on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tilt

Post by tilt » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:55 pm

I think I have that exact same box, I use it for .22LR ammo. It holds three boxes exactly, keeping it weather resistant and protected from stuff falling on it and possibly causing discharge. It fits conveniently in the glove box of my truck or under the seat, even in the tackle box...

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:06 am

I have a similar case by Pelican. I'm working on a bare bones survival kit for the lifejacket (fire starters, water purification). The case will barely fit in the lifejacket pocket. I have a small waterproof IFAK for the other pocket.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:33 am

southalabama wrote:I have a similar case by Pelican. I'm working on a bare bones survival kit for the lifejacket (fire starters, water purification). The case will barely fit in the lifejacket pocket. I have a small waterproof IFAK for the other pocket.
I'm working on something like that for my BOB - I want to have an "essentials" kit that can be quickly detached from the main bag, in case I had to ditch my bag and travel light...

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:55 am

southalabama wrote:I have a similar case by Pelican. I'm working on a bare bones survival kit for the lifejacket (fire starters, water purification). The case will barely fit in the lifejacket pocket. I have a small waterproof IFAK for the other pocket.
What sort of water sport(s) do you do?
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:03 pm

I've got the see-through Pelican version of that case. I keep all of my IFAK meds in it as everything else in my FAK doesn't need much waterproofing.

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Regarding what water activities........we dark water snorkel and dive for these.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Very cool. You could kill a man with all those.

I was gonna say, I hate having bulky stuff on my PFD, and sometimes it can be dangerous, like sailing a small dinghy, having shit get caught up and tangled with lines n shit.

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm really conscious of getting hung up under water, so anything on my person will be inside a lifejacket pocket or really strapped down. No loose laynards hanging around my neck. The whistle is clipped on the lifejacket.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:28 pm

Good good. You know whats up =P

ant69
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Post by ant69 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:33 pm

I saw somwe similar cases at joes that were around $5.00 ea and had survival gear or FAK inside they also some Nalgene type water bottles with little survival kits inside great for a desk drawer or glove box provided you don't typically have a EDC GHB or BOB or as a quick inexpensive addition. Ant

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:45 pm

I use a couple of those for my BoB FAK.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:58 pm

Otter boxes are great for firestarting kits, Gunny uses them for that.

However, Brady and myself use them for bugout humidors. They're fucking great for keeping a pipe and tobacco or some cigars at the right humidity, since they seal up.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Return to “Bug Out Gear”