Keychain survival gear.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Keychain survival gear.

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:36 pm

The gear you have on hand in an emergency is far better than the stuff left at home. There are several good threads on Every Day Carry items. I hope this has not been talked about already as a standalone topic. From experience some of my EDC things don’t make it on my person all the time despite my best attempts. One thing I am never without is my keys. So as part of my layered approach to preparedness I have gear attached to the keychain. I have the following preparedness items on my set of keys.

1. Fire steel.
2. LED light
3. Very small Swiss army knife
4. Bottle opener. Not a true survival item but sometimes sure feels that way. :D

Having too much junk on the keys is a pain. Over the years items got added and removed due to bulk and weight concerns. In the end I settled with these 4. Just wondering what others put on their key chains for preparedness or just plain convenience.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Flea
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Flea » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:39 pm

I keep one of those photon lights, a small swiss army knife and a small flint rod on my keychain. I always have my Benchmade Griptillian on me...it's part of my routine grab wallet, cellphone and knife...

mpi

Post by mpi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:41 pm

i have a light [victorinox] a swiss key tool and a steel whistle/pill capsule combo.
Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association -
http://www.pafoa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:13 pm

All I've got on my keychain is a handcuff key.

Hrm.

mpi

Post by mpi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:40 pm

i never tell where my cuff keys are.
Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association -
http://www.pafoa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

AltimGXE

Post by AltimGXE » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:24 am

I have some braided paracord with a monkey's fist knot on the end. Good emergency cord, and it is easier to pull the keys out of my pocket.

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:31 am

For me it's a Photon II microlight, Leatherman Squirt, pair of Uncle Bills Silver Grippers, pair of folding scissors and last but not least...keys :wink:

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:16 am

I have a Photon Freedom (in yellow, for when I drop it).
I have had a knife/Micra off and on over the years, but my keys generally get too huge that way. I also have a carabiner that I often end up using to temporarily join/secure something...

Politenessman

Post by Politenessman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:47 am

A whole bunch of keys, and a couple of those store rewards cards.
Bottle opener
inova led light
mini sharpie (probably the most useful thing I have ever carried)
British by birth, American by choice.
Bespoke shooting accessories Retro Tactical - Get Yours here!

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:03 am

+1 for bottle opener!

I have a "Bev-Key" round bottle opener on a pear-shaped 'beaner with 10 keys and my car remote. Wowzers!

If I could get away with not having so many keys I would, but that's not going to be an option anytime soon. I'd rather be carrying the more useful stuff listed above.

And don't you guys with the photon lights worry about them activating in your pocket and killing the battery? I have one, and I think I'd be concerned.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 am

Murph wrote:And don't you guys with the photon lights worry about them activating in your pocket and killing the battery? I have one, and I think I'd be concerned.
It sucks when that happens. Mine is a Freedom. I leave it in Demo mode so that it is just a squeeze light. When I need it to stay on, I hold it for about 10 seconds, and then the switch works as on/off. I put it back in Demo when I'm done. It's a pain, but better than having a dead light that needs $8 of batteries. Some people will put it in the bracket holder backwards, to keep the button from being pressed in a pocket...

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 am

airballrad wrote:
Murph wrote:And don't you guys with the photon lights worry about them activating in your pocket and killing the battery? I have one, and I think I'd be concerned.
It sucks when that happens. Mine is a Freedom. I leave it in Demo mode so that it is just a squeeze light. When I need it to stay on, I hold it for about 10 seconds, and then the switch works as on/off. I put it back in Demo when I'm done. It's a pain, but better than having a dead light that needs $8 of batteries. Some people will put it in the bracket holder backwards, to keep the button from being pressed in a pocket...
Shoot I think I ditched my packaging... I know mine has a push and a switch, but I don't know if it has a demo mode. I'll have to check. I know it didn't come with a holster.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:22 pm

Ah. Switch means Photon II.

Put some duct tape on it to keep the switch from moving. You can still press to activate it, or remove the tape to switch it on.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:13 pm

Ooops, I have a Inova microlight

http://www.inovalight.com/micro.html

The switch is tough to flip, but I could see accidently hitting the push button and draining the battery. Far as I can tell there is no way to turn it off.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:30 pm

keys
atwood tool
usb drive
led light
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Nilsson

Post by Nilsson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Victorinox SD
Fenix P1
Sinnet
Bottleopener
Keys
And two other things that I dont know the English word for.

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:27 pm

I just screw the Photon light open and put some plastic with a pull tab between the batteries. Prevents the light from going on, yet easy to remove with the pull-tab.

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:33 pm

Keys
Supermarket loyalty card
Mini SAK
Generic microlight (with flat batteries - must fix that)

As/when I find a small firesteel at a sensible price I'll probably add one.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:21 pm

do i spy with my little eye a prybaby?

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Keychain- LM Micra, Photon II (white), metal whistle (tube type), fob made from about 10' of paracord

unkeychain- Victorinox Nomad, Gerber Infinity, boy scout firesteel, small pill vial with immodium, excedrin, two aspirin and cotton balls.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm

I keep the important stuff with my dogtags, it's very low profile and convenient. I'm less likely to loose them, and they aren't going to make a funny buldge in my pocket.

I only have a Gerber Ridge neck knife and Inova LED light (the newest ones have a digital switch; demo/squeeze only mode, and click-to-select Full/Half/Strobe/Off). That's supplemented by my EDC and PSK.
My Pocket Survival Kit Comments appreciated!
Image Technician Class - KD0GHY
M1A SOCOM, .45, PIE!

Toad704D
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ugh. I do the movies for Zcon every year. It changes so often.

Post by Toad704D » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm

That is one kickass paracord keychain!

Keys for stuff
Bottle opener
Real climbing Carabiner (Very useful sometimes.)
One of these:
http://www.swisstechtools.com/productde ... wuKh%2br8A

Wish it was one of these:
http://www.swisstechtools.com/productde ... V%2f%2feEA

And I'd like to go on record saying that I also carry a Leatherman Surge, even though that's not what this thread is about.
ZSC-001 Chapter Secretary
ZCon Entertainment coordinator
ZCon On-Site security
I survived Zombie Con 2007, and 2008
I survived Wintergheddon 2009
I survived Zombie Con 2009, I won the pistol match too! 8)
I survived Zombie Con '10,'11,'12,'13 (I'm kind of a badass.)

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Woods Walker...OMG...20 replies and no ones asked why you don't have a P-38/P-51 on that key chain. :shock:

Here's a quick project: Get a P-38 or P-51 (I like the larger P-51 for this). Take a triangular file and score the back edge of the P-38 to create a section of teeth about an inch long. Now you can replace the striker/scraper that came with your Fire Steel.

Miles

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:51 pm

My fire steel never came with a striker. I was thinking maybe the little SAK would work. One of these days I will cut a small section of Hacksaw blade and make a striker that I know will work. But then I worry that it might damage my pockets. Don't know.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”