Shiner's B.O.B. (Updated 8-28-2008) Pics!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

suntzu

Re: Shiner's B.O.B. (Updated 8-28-2008) Pics!

Post by suntzu » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:37 pm

My two cents on the walkie talkies. I have used a set of chargeable motorola walkabouts on a three day trip. We kept them shut off until we knew we would be separated. My experience is the walkabouts tend to die fairly quickly, and then your screwed unless you have WW's solar charger. So I went ahead and bought the battery powered and kept extra batteries, one set each. It was a trade off in weight, but worked the whole weekend. I was angry when I had to carry that dead radio all over the Smokies.

Shiner86

Post by Shiner86 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:05 am

That's not a bad idea, Sun. We probably should spring for some battery powered ones.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:04 am

Nice kit Shiner. Gatoraid Propel water has a twist top lid that fits perfect on the 1 ltr. soda bottles like your Kroger water bottles. I keep an extra stashed here and there. I have been using the same top all summer so they last, work well and don't leak.

DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:21 am

I tried to ask in IRC the other night. Do you have any pictures / links to your tent?

My 7' x 7' dome is just too bulky to carry.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

OhioMe

Post by OhioMe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:32 am

One more opinion on your .380CC. I owned one and recently sold it in the name of ammo compatibility. It was a good gun and I had few complaints about it. I carried it for 9 months hammer down, safety off in a pocket holster without incident and felt perfectly safe.

One suggestion about the Bersa as a Bug-out gun; if that second magazine is not a Bersa factory mag, ditch it. With Bersa's, especially the 380CC, the after market mags are beyond crap and unreliable. It its is factory mag, I'd trust it, but all after market mags for that gun I've read about are not something I'd trust my life to. Yes, I realize how expensive the factory mags are compared to the knock-offs. :(
German Serial Killer Who Hacks Heads Off Rabbits Uses Google Earth to Find Victims
DavePAL84 wrote:If you guys bring an old t-shirt or two each it would also be beneficial (maybe something you don't mind being perforated with bullets and then thrown out?)
BeerandGuns wrote:.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

Shiner86

Post by Shiner86 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:56 am

OhioMe wrote:One suggestion about the Bersa as a Bug-out gun; if that second magazine is not a Bersa factory mag, ditch it. With Bersa's, especially the 380CC, the after market mags are beyond crap and unreliable. It its is factory mag, I'd trust it, but all after market mags for that gun I've read about are not something I'd trust my life to. Yes, I realize how expensive the factory mags are compared to the knock-offs. :(
Yeah, that's what I've been told. Factory mags seem to run between $30 and $40, but they're worth it. That's what both of these are. I plan on buying 2 more so I can leave them in my BOB at all times and not take them out when I go to the range. I've already made peace with the fact that it's going to be moderately expensive. :)

Shiner86

Post by Shiner86 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:02 pm

Murph wrote:I tried to ask in IRC the other night. Do you have any pictures / links to your tent?

My 7' x 7' dome is just too bulky to carry.
This is the tent I have: http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Scout-B ... 377&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently, it's $27 online. I found it brand new in a surplus store for $12, but it was the only one they had.

TFB has a similar tent that was made by Texsport. His was also marked down to $12. Online, it's $20.
http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-01904-Wi ... 574&sr=1-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:54 pm

Plastic sanitation trowels are easy to break. I'd suggest either a U-Dig-It folding trowel or a Sea to Summit iPood! collapsible trowel.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:39 pm

Oh yea, here you go. My source for the blued mags is here.

Always go factory. Try to NOT get the seven round mags, go for the flat bottomed 8rd CC mags. They work the best. I tried the 7rd mags, they work OK, but I wouldn't trust my life to them.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Shiner86

Post by Shiner86 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:12 pm

elricfate wrote:Oh yea, here you go. My source for the blued mags is here.
Thank you! I priced them at Black Wing Shooting Center and they were almost $50.

WILLIE
BANNED

Post by WILLIE » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:31 pm

How about replacing your blanket with a down bag. It would take up the same or less space, weigh less, and keep u warm at night. Nothing sucks more then shivering through a night outdoors except doing it more then once.

Shiner86

Post by Shiner86 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:53 pm

WILLIE wrote:How about replacing your blanket with a down bag. It would take up the same or less space, weigh less, and keep u warm at night. Nothing sucks more then shivering through a night outdoors except doing it more then once.
I actually picked up a fleece sleeping bag yesterday that I think I'll replace my blanket with. I like that I can actually curl up inside it instead of trying to wrap it around me. Pics later.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:23 pm

I understand this to be Bersa's official site for factory parts. I got my spare mag here, and it works as well as the original nickel one. Both of them like to be cleaned every use or else I get some failures to feed toward the end of the mag.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:23 pm

BlueSky wrote:I understand this to be Bersa's official site for factory parts. I got my spare mag here, and it works as well as the original nickel one. Both of them like to be cleaned every use or else I get some failures to feed toward the end of the mag.

You're correct. That is their official website. They usually have them on backorder for the CC version due to demand. However the site I linked has OEM (read: Authentic Bersa) mags.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Shiner86

Post by Shiner86 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:25 am

Poncho. While obviously another means to keep myself dry, it could also double as camo if/when I find myself traipsing through the woods.

EMT pouch. Just a better way to house my small trauma kit.

Fleece Sleeping Bag. Hoping it will trap body heat better than a simple blanket.

dbruce

Post by dbruce » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:43 pm

Shiner,

I saw that you are looking for a flat canteen, how about this one?

http://www.topbrassmilitary.com/shop/fi ... nteen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.

dbruce

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:05 pm

Shiner86 wrote: Fleece Sleeping Bag. Hoping it will trap body heat better than a simple blanket.
May want to look at putting that in a waterproof cover of some sort. Fleece can take a while to dry out and if you get caught in an unexpected downpour, it can leave your bedding nice and damp.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

Return to “Bug Out Gear”