Erik's Bob For The Poor - Pic heavy

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:57 am

Famine wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
CommonHighrise wrote:
Rush2112 wrote: But then again, what do you expect for $6.85?
Fries with my burger.

Kevin
Great, now I'm hungrier. :lol:
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

congochris

Post by congochris » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:56 am

I'll third or fourth or whatever it is by now on ditching that machete. I bought one years ago for camping, and it never really got used for that. instead I used it to chop up the ginormous weeds the backyard grows when you work 12's on your feet during the summer and even with long weekends you just want to sit on your ass..

weeds, I swear to the gods, defeated that POS. granted, they're about the toughness of small saplings, but when you're cutting down the damn things and the POS plastic handle shatters, you're very very glad you're wearing gloves or fingers could have been lost. you'd be better off dismantling your lawnmower and duct taping one end for a handle, honestly. I mean, even if you lose fingers, you've probably killed the saplings first. it never stayed sharp, and hitting a precise target when the blade wobbles if you're even slightly off-track in your swing is next to impossible.

personally, I'm putting in a gerber pack axe that I bought a long time ago, and I picked up a winchester brand hand chain saw. I'll have to test that sometime to see how well/badly it works. probably this weekend. I'm probably going to have to replace the utterly cheesy nylon straps. they look absolutely break-a-licious.

and I'd also say more socks. wet feet = bad. after a long hike, nothing feels better than clean dry socks, and if you're bugging out, you might have to march every day. so at least one pair per day, is what I'm planning on putting into my cheapo Bob. building off of a $7 wally world purchased bag, so I've got a lot of the same equipment you do.. :lol: except I got a bigger canteen made by stanley. the only ones they had in stock of the style you got were pink. I'm just not manly enough to be seen with a pink canteen. :oops:

pardon the rambling... I really need to go to sleep now. :roll:

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:57 am

I'd add a fix-blade knife of your choice, and perhaps a headlamp (there may have been one, that was four pages ago).

Other than that, it looks good--and nice walls. He looks better in red.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:28 pm

:lol: :lol: Firefly, Cymro?

and I think its a really great bag so far. Its unfortunate that you can't get good socks for cheap, tho, because it looks like you've just got cotton socks in there instead of some off-brand smartwools or something, which still end up costing like $10.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:34 pm

squirrley wrote::lol: :lol: Firefly, Cymro?
I average at least one Firefly reference per 5 posts. And that's a slow week.

Are there good off-brand socks out there? I'd like to know.

Also, Erik, I might have missed it, but communications gear of some kind, even a small radio and a whistle, could be a good idea.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:49 pm

I think most synthetic/merino wool blend socks are good. I've been buying fox river socks for my past 5 or 6 pairs. They're a lot different knit pattern than smartwools, but aside from that I can hardly tell the difference, and they're $10 instead of $15. And since I wear good socks like them every day with my work boots, that seemed like a good choice. I know there's several true smartwool knockoffs, like the Columbia ones, that have almost the exact same knit pattern, except for the name on the side of the sock.

That being said, I still have a pair or two of newish smartwools that I save for hiking/camping. New-ish being that I don't wear them too much, and they're still fluffy all over unlike the ones that I wear to work, which are very thread-bare on the ball/heel area, and are starting to develop holes in the ball. I think smartwools are definitely the top of the line for socks.

and WOOOO FIREFLY! my room mates just lost my disc one for the show, it makes me a very sad panda.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:06 pm

Rush2112 wrote:Once again, I must stress how much you should lose the machete. Have you actually tested it yet?
Oh sure! I bought that machete in 1992 and have been using it ever since. It's never failed me yet! Don't you guys grind-sharpen your machetes from time to time?

-Erik

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:09 pm

Erik wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Once again, I must stress how much you should lose the machete. Have you actually tested it yet?
Oh sure! I bought that machete in 1992 and have been using it ever since. It's never failed me yet! Don't you guys grind-sharpen your machetes from time to time?

-Erik
Actually yeah, and I've never had any luck with it. Is it possible the quality has gone down since 92?
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:18 pm

Erik wrote:

-Erik
I would keep the machete. And yes, I do sharpen mine with a motorhone(8"wet 6" dry benchtop grinder). Nice set-up on the bag though.

I still don't like your gaudy, red-painted room. I think it clashes with the fireplace.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:24 pm

CLEAR CUT wrote:I still don't like your gaudy, red-painted room. I think it clashes with the fireplace.
I think the lighting is great for the wall color he chose.

Zombie Squad: We're just a little gay.

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:51 pm

I really don't care about color schemes; the thing that caught my eye was the nice library collection. Knowledge (and knowing how to use it) 8)

Miles

congochris

Post by congochris » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:09 pm

it's quite possible the quality has gone down.. I bought mine in either the late 90's or early 2000, can't recall. I will certainly never buy another one, at least not that one. looking at different one's though. the concept works, but the construction left a lot to be desired. If I get really bored I may fab up some new handles, but not likely. I'll probably just toast it on the forge and mess with it.

Big A

Post by Big A » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:46 pm

Hey guys,

I had the high honor and great pleasure to actually BE in
'The Erik's' place last weekend. It looks a lot nicer in
real life, a really nice place. Course, not having any kids
goes a long way towards that, too. :D

Check this out:

I SAW his great BOB,

I HELD the ROATS rifle,

I was IN his "Bugout room"

I SAW the 55-gallon water drum project

I FIRED the famous P89, AND the Mojo'd AK, AND the Kel-tec .380,
AND the High-Point carbine, and used the "Golf cart cup holder
stance."

Cool, huh? Ya'll are just green with envy, I can tell.

"Looking for respect wherever I can find it."

Erik's a pretty cool guy, I can see why ya'll think so highly of him.
"All I want from you is a little civility, and that
of the commonest goddamnest kind."

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:50 pm

I had the honor of hanging out with Erik one weekend for that Louisiana Camp & Shoot and he was probably one of the nicest guys I ever met if not THE nicest guy i ever met but he'll have to fight with some of the other people i met on ZS which...would make him not nice at that point but whatever. But anyway, he's a really nice guy and maybe too nice sometimes. I mean, it wasn't cold outside in LA at night but he felt the need to cuddle me and kept telling me that it was cold outside and he was keeping me warm. I duno *shrugs*. I was drunk but still....not THAT drunk...
ImageImage

TBear0574

Post by TBear0574 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:14 pm

TheFreakinBear wrote:I had the honor of hanging out with Erik one weekend for that Louisiana Camp & Shoot and he was probably one of the nicest guys I ever met if not THE nicest guy i ever met but he'll have to fight with some of the other people i met on ZS which...would make him not nice at that point but whatever. But anyway, he's a really nice guy and maybe too nice sometimes. I mean, it wasn't cold outside in LA at night but he felt the need to cuddle me and kept telling me that it was cold outside and he was keeping me warm. I duno *shrugs*. I was drunk but still....not THAT drunk...
yes you were...
SharkChild wrote: TerrorBear0574 is a hustler with handguns like Doc Simon is with cards. Shit I bet $10 on TerrorBear winning.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:55 pm

TBear0574 wrote:
TheFreakinBear wrote:I had the honor of hanging out with Erik one weekend for that Louisiana Camp & Shoot and he was probably one of the nicest guys I ever met if not THE nicest guy i ever met but he'll have to fight with some of the other people i met on ZS which...would make him not nice at that point but whatever. But anyway, he's a really nice guy and maybe too nice sometimes. I mean, it wasn't cold outside in LA at night but he felt the need to cuddle me and kept telling me that it was cold outside and he was keeping me warm. I duno *shrugs*. I was drunk but still....not THAT drunk...
yes you were...
You my friend...you're what we like to call...a bastard...
ImageImage

TBear0574

Post by TBear0574 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:57 pm

Im a Bastard FTW !!!!
SharkChild wrote: TerrorBear0574 is a hustler with handguns like Doc Simon is with cards. Shit I bet $10 on TerrorBear winning.

TheFreakinBear

Post by TheFreakinBear » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:08 am

LOL Damnit... if it wasn't for the fact you were a "bear" too...I would hate you...
ImageImage

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Post by CommonHighrise » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:14 am

Big A wrote:Erik's a pretty cool guy, I can see why ya'll think so highly of him.
He's not, and I dont. I cant respect a man who maces his junk for fun.

...but I can fear him :shock: .
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:15 am

CommonHighrise wrote:
Big A wrote:Erik's a pretty cool guy, I can see why ya'll think so highly of him.
He's not, and I dont. I cant respect a man who maces his junk for fun.

...but I can fear him :shock: .
At breakfast no less.

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:02 am

Awww, Big A and TheFreakinBear...you're going to make me blush! :oops:

CommonHighRise and Gunny, I hope you two drown in your own vomit. :D

-Erik

P.S. I keep telling you all that was my LEG that got maced! And it was an accident! I think!

TheFreakinBear

Post by TheFreakinBear » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:54 am

It's cool Erik. Besides the needless cuddling, you're a good guy. You might just want to get out more lol. jk. I don't care what Clear Cut says still, you're house is cool.
ImageImage

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 am

Erik is hardcore. On the Louisiana Camp & Shoot trip he slept outside while everyone else slept inside a tent.
He slept outside on an inflatable matress
nfa wrote:must...keep...my...fucking...mouth...shut...
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

Shiner86

Post by Shiner86 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:35 pm

I really like your BOB set-up. I had the same mess kit as you until Gunny told me it sucked and now I'm on the lookout for a better one. I'm trying to convince myself that I really do need a $30 titanium mess kit but if you didn't want to spend that much you could go to a surplus store and pick up an old army mess kit for maybe $4. It's roughly the same size as the one you have now but a good deal more durable. Let me know if you don't have any surplus stores around you and I'll pick one up for you free of charge. Just PM me your address.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”