Erik's Bob For The Poor - Pic heavy

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:24 am

Compression will kill any bag...down or synthetic ...over time

Loft is what keeps you warm and squeezing it down to nothing and leaving it like that WILL have an effect

The nice thing about a good down bag is that it takes about a minute to push it into a compression sack and a minute to squeeze it down (NPI)

There is less fighting than with a synthetic bag

Other than packing it just before you walk out the door, you may be well advised to going with a cheaper bag and accepting that you will need to replace it sooner

Another option would be to put your bag in an oversize compression sack so it has some room to loft and then just cinch it down when you have to run away. This would be sort of a compromise
"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:38 am

Obiwan wrote: Another option would be to put your bag in an oversize compression sack so it has some room to loft and then just cinch it down when you have to run away. This would be sort of a compromise
I forget which BOB thread it was, I think that crazy guy in the kilt, where he keeps his bag loose, not in a stuff sack, but in a Kifaru Pod that clips onto his pack. You can get the pods in different sizes, and they're pretty big, like the nice big cotton laundry bag style sack your sleeping bag comes in from the store.

Of course, that only works with a Kifaru pack and pod, but I think its the best you're ever going to be able to do. You could jury rig up your own system like this, using a really really oversized compression sack, or maybe even bigger and compress it with lashing or a little net or mesh or something.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Nagant

Nice Setup!

Post by Nagant » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:16 pm

It's great to see when someone can throw together a BOB without having to spend a grand on every item. Good job! I'm a bit jealous that you found a $15 Blackhawk pack in a surplus store. My local store mainly stocks older gear from the 1940s to 1970s, and much of the newer gear is made in China and would only last for a day in the field.

Have you looked at the Inova X1 flashlight? I used to use a mini mag light for EDC and field use, but I fell in love with the X1 last year. It is a single AA light that fits in the palm of your hand, and lasts 10 hours on a single battery. For its size, it puts out a good amount of light. It won't light up the night like a Surfire, but it is a good general purpose light. I put mine in my back pocket everyday and I forget it's there. The X1 is also very durable and waterproof, even though its listed as being water resistant. My light has been dropped on concrete, kicked, sat on, and survived a few trips through the washer and dryer -- and it still works. It retails for $20 at Target.

I noticed you have an Uncle Mikes belt holster...I used to use those until it ripped off my belt! With just a quick push onto the holster, the stitching which holds the rubber/plastic belt slide on ripped. But now I usually carry IWB with a Desantis Tuck-This. It's a tuckable holster with a spare mag holder I use for my Glock 19 and though it is not great, it has worked well enough for me over the past two years. It runs about $30 in my local shops.

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see a water purification device, other than being able to boil water. Water filters are great for being able to purify on the run. My filter is a Katadyn Hiker that cost $60-$70 with replacement filters being $30. It's small chunck of money but it is worth it.

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:49 pm

Still a awesome color scheme :P Gonna have to see what some White oak will cost. just feel to hippy-ish to put down bamboo floors, even tho they look pretty bad ass

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:47 pm

Dude, you rock.

I'll post with more, but I just wanted to sing your praises about bringing those bag attachments to my attention. I own a Blackhawk Hydrostorm bag, and it can take those attachments. Sweet!

Also nice paint scheme.

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

ironraven

Re: Erik's Bob For The Poor - Pic heavy

Post by ironraven » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:09 am

Not much for me to poke at. I can't comment on the decor- I have no style, and literally do have lawn furniture indoors.
for about $200
Skipping the cost of the pack, for a BOB sans weapons this a great price. Just goes to show it can be done well.
Tiny jar of honey.
Great item, but I'd triple bag it, and I'd like to put it in a hard container. If it opens up somehow, you're going to have a bitch of time getting it cleaned and descented, and if it breaks you've got glass shards loose in your gear to.
1 - Vacuum-sealed pair of old jeans (already owned)
Not optimal, but you already knew that.
1 - Mini Mag (already owned)
The Nite-Eze LED conversion raises these up several notches- six bucks at my Walmart.
2 - Lighters (already owned)
Zipties under the plungers, so they aren't as likely to vent. Or are they child proof?
1 - 1L Nalgene bottle
Not a Nalgene- I had one of these knockoffs die on me after being left in the car over night this weekend. The real Nalgene next to it had just as much ice and survived. Pricey for someone who made a $200 dollar BOB, but worth it. And they let you carry cup easily.

The only other suggestions I'd make are more socks, more batteries, and add a current sniffer and gas wrench if LNG is widely used in your area.

I'm not normally a fan of BHI, but you got a great price for the ruck. How do you find the side pouches ride? Bouncy, or are they stable?
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:19 am

Thanks, great suggestions! The side bags can be cranked down very tightly. They do not move one single bit when on the pack.

-Erik

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:31 pm

Two things that I think you should consider adding that will not add much in the way of weight or cost would be a small fixed blade knife and a folding saw.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:57 pm

Looking good, except lose the machete. It's just a seven-dollar oversized butterknife. I put mine through some serious torture testing and It couldn't even cut 1'' saplings. Plus, it's too bendy to be used as an impromptu shovel. I really think it's just a waste of space and weight.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Nexy

Post by Nexy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:31 am

squirrley wrote:I think that crazy guy in the kilt, where he keeps his bag loose
From what I understand, that's traditional when wearing a kilt.

Damn you Erik, that rucksack cost about £7.50, the Dominos Pizza I ate last night was half price and still cost more than that.

Looks like a good bag, but I'd join the chorus of changing your lights, I'd go for something LED based, they're vastly more efficient and more impact resistant. I finally managed to kill my first one, and it took some doing. :( www.dealextreme.com has some bargin lights. Grab some ten packs of the (unfocused) LED keyring lights, they're dirt cheap, take up negliable space or weight but are so godamn useful. They're also INVINCIBLE. I've put one through a 40C cotton wash and then a high tumble dry, it still works to this day. Attach them to everything, I keep one on every set of keys, I give them to colleagues etc. At 45p each, they're disposible.
ZSC:010- UK Chapter

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:42 pm

I didn't have any small zip ties,but I had some long bread ties. 2 loops around and twist the knot under the plunger works just as goo. Its reusable and you don't have to worry about cutting a finger in the dark.

Erik, where did you find the fresnel lens. Someone once said they can be found at the dollar store and Wal-mart. I've had no luck at either.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:33 pm

Everyone says the Mag Light sucks. Sounds like I may in the market for a Surefire or something.

Jeep, I got the Fresnel lens on Ebay for like $1.99 plus shipping.

-Erik

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Post by CommonHighrise » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:42 pm

Dont listen to them Erik! MiniMags ftw!

Or, yanno, you could spend that same amount you did on your entire rig all over again for a pair of SureFires, and again for enough 123's to last the same amount as lithium AAs in a MiniMag. Just depends on what you need a light for. Need to blind low-flying aircraft pilots, or just see the trail all night. Your call.
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:56 pm

CommonHighrise wrote:Dont listen to them Erik! MiniMags ftw!

Or, yanno, you could spend that same amount you did on your entire rig all over again for a pair of SureFires, and again for enough 123's to last the same amount as lithium AAs in a MiniMag. Just depends on what you need a light for. Need to blind low-flying aircraft pilots, or just see the trail all night. Your call.
Well, it's true that I've spent the last twenty-some years hiking and camping with a regular flashlight and it's always been more than enough. I've always been able to see the trail, pitch my tent, find my way, etc. with a regular flashlight. Why make my flashlight more expensive than half my BOB put together?

CommonHighrise speaks sensibly. And cheaply.

-Erik

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:16 pm

Erik is that nalgene made from lexan? I've never seen one like that before.

If its not, go spend 8 bucks and get a real lexan one. You can do a lot more with the real McCoy.

Famine

Post by Famine » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:38 pm

I second Gunny there.

Get yourself one of the 12 dollar Garrity lights. They're worth it.

Kevin
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

The Ron

Post by The Ron » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Erik,

First off, real men don't have white walls. :)

Theoretical question for you (and by extension, us). If you were bugging out and realized that you HAD to drop 10 pounds of gear to make it where you were going, what would you drop??
Kathy in FL wrote:Makes me want to have a screaming hissy fit ... and boys, that is not a pretty sight.

"Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light." 1 John

CommonHighrise

Post by CommonHighrise » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:49 pm

Famine wrote:I second Gunny there.

Get yourself one of the 12 dollar Garrity lights. They're worth it.

Kevin
I think Im gonna have to pit that Garrity against a base model MiniMag in some trials at ZS Labs...

After the many reviews others have given of it, and looking one over at my WallyWorld, I cant say its a bad little piece. Since youre all budget/weight minded n stuff, also snag a pair of those LifeLights they sell in camping at WalMart. Cant replace the batts, but with 100hrs of runtime each, and about $3/ea, theyre more than adequate for a 3-4 day BOB.
ImageImage

Erik

Post by Erik » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:09 pm

The Ron wrote:Erik,

First off, real men don't have white walls. :)

Theoretical question for you (and by extension, us). If you were bugging out and realized that you HAD to drop 10 pounds of gear to make it where you were going, what would you drop??
An interesting question. Things I'd drop:

1) Machete
2) Binoculars
3) A couple of bags of fire gel
4) Tarp
5) Mess kit
6) Mini fire log
7) Honey
8 ) The water and MREs would drop their own weight
9) A portion of the huge first aid kit, including:
a) QuickClot
b) One kerlix
c) Tourniquet
d) Half the bandaids and wipes
e) Scissors
10) If the weather report was nice, the tent

That may not be ten pounds, but it would take some size and weight off.

-Erik

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Once again, I must stress how much you should lose the machete. Have you actually tested it yet?
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

CommonHighrise

Post by CommonHighrise » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:18 pm

Rush2112 wrote:Once again, I must stress how much you should lose the machete. Have you actually tested it yet?
Or at least switch it out for a hatchet, since youre planning a woodlands bugout.

Hatchets have all types of win over machetes.
ImageImage

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:45 pm

For a 3 day pack the MiniMag should be fine (I see you have extra bulbs) just in case you didn't know there is a spare bulb in the rear cap inside or under the spring. Only reason to upgrade to LED would be for the extended battery life and 1 watt would be the max to get decent battery use, 3 watters really burn through batteries fast.

Miles

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:25 pm

CommonHighrise wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Once again, I must stress how much you should lose the machete. Have you actually tested it yet?
Or at least switch it out for a hatchet, since youre planning a woodlands bugout.

Hatchets have all types of win over machetes.
Most other machetes are all types of win over that machete. It really doesn't cut jack. But then again, what do you expect for $6.85?
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!

Famine

Post by Famine » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:49 am

Rush2112 wrote:
CommonHighrise wrote:
Rush2112 wrote: But then again, what do you expect for $6.85?
Fries with my burger.

Kevin

Return to “Bug Out Gear”