Erik's Bob For The Poor - Pic heavy

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Well, yeah I know what the daisy chain is on the pack, but I dont understand how you'd carry a giant sleeping bag with it.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

smiffy

Post by smiffy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:48 pm

crypto wrote:Well, yeah I know what the daisy chain is on the pack, but I dont understand how you'd carry a giant sleeping bag with it.
I may have meandered into talking about the general case.

Many walkers rucksacks I now see have a pair of hefty daisy chains or ladder loops running parallel up the rear face. I daresay this is to strap their bedroll vertically and avoid becoming a key-stuck-in-a-lock like mpi.

The pack in this thread is perhaps a poor example for this as there are
only a few loops and the bed-bag is large compared to the rest of the ensemble.

Unless the dry-bag is too slick, I'd nonetheless still say that using the bottom-loops, side compression straps and possibly the grab handle, this chap may have better luck with the bedding stowed vertical-behind instead of perpendicular-below.
Last edited by smiffy on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpi

Post by mpi » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:13 pm

it actually wasn't the fartsack that caught me up, it was a machete grip sticking out of a rolled poncho so that i could draw it quickly. after that episode i put the sheath vertically between an add on pouch and the pack body. this allowed a draw very similar to the way you drew a Springfield or garand bayonet. directly over the shoulder. it really wasn't ever much of an issue as a machete makes a very poor weapon all things considered.
Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association -
http://www.pafoa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Post by CommonHighrise » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:34 pm

+1 on a compression sack for the sleeping bag. If its a +30 style bag, which it sounds like it is, this will reduce its size considerably, and make it easier to strap in another position.

However...I warn against storing a sleeping bag in the compressed state for long terms (month or two). It will compress the insulation down to little more than a fleece blanket. Nothing worse than bedding down at night in a winter bugout to find your sleeping bag has the insulating properties of a T shirt.

Also, epic fail on not having a sleeping pad. $15 at WallyWorld will set you up right. I know youre a manly man, and welcome a root digging into your kidneys as you sleep, but its also an insulation thing.
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:59 pm

All great ideas! Thanks!

mpi

Post by mpi » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:22 pm

my coldweather bags have a tab to use to hang them in a closet, this mode of storage keeps them from losing loft and developing thin spots.

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:33 pm

I liked the set up. I would tuck in a cheap radio though. I don't think I could take a pack as heavy as that on for any length of time.

I LOVE the red walls! It looks clean, but elegant. Good taste!
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:12 pm

herbalpagan wrote:I liked the set up. I would tuck in a cheap radio though. I don't think I could take a pack as heavy as that on for any length of time.

I LOVE the red walls! It looks clean, but elegant. Good taste!
HA! Do you see that, CC? Good taste!

-Erik

KotaLu
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Evil Dead Trilogy, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (both), Re-Animator, Shaun of the Dead, Mortuary, Fido, 28 Days Later, I Sell the Dead (kind of a zombie flick, sort of), Undead or Alive, Fast Zombies with Guns, I Am Legend, ... Zombieland and so many more

Post by KotaLu » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:16 pm

Erik... LOL :twisted:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

RIP HK33k

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:42 pm

CommonHighrise wrote: However...I warn against storing a sleeping bag in the compressed state for long terms (month or two). It will compress the insulation down to little more than a fleece blanket. Nothing worse than bedding down at night in a winter bugout to find your sleeping bag has the insulating properties of a T shirt.
When you have to bug out, I sure hope you have time to go get your sleeping bag, roll it up, jam it into a stuff sack, then compress it, and strap it onto your bugout bag.

This is why my bugout sleeping bag is synthetic and not down. Because it WILL stay ready to go all the time.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:01 pm

Bungee cords! They are the answer! Maybe. Just depends on how creative you are with straps and buckles.

You could take off the side compression bags, and use the compression straps backwards - ie, criss-crossed across the back of the pack, instead of over the sides.

Those compression straps on the sides are good anchors if you want to put your sleeping bag compression sack across the middle. Try a bungee or two criss-crossed through the daisy chain to hold down the center. The tighter, the smaller, the more compressed, the better because you get to save some space, not have a freakzoid sleeping bag on your pack, and keep your balance/center of gravity. Compress the hell out of that bad boy!

You might want to try putting your tent across the top, to free up the bottom space. Or stuff the tent in the pack/compression sack with the sleeping bag, and put the poles in your compression sacks you've already got there.

And then you can use your axe loops for an axe.

BTW - your red for your living room? Perfect. The color scheme works really well. Eye catching and even nice and soothing, with the red, white, and brown/tan.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:22 pm

Erik.

Yea get a compression sack for that bag. Will reduce its volume a great deal and seems to shape the bag better for storage under the pack. Stuff the bag into the compression or your stuff sack as repeated rolling will cause the bag to develop dead zones in the insulation.
crypto wrote:
CommonHighrise wrote: However...I warn against storing a sleeping bag in the compressed state for long terms (month or two). It will compress the insulation down to little more than a fleece blanket. Nothing worse than bedding down at night in a winter bugout to find your sleeping bag has the insulating properties of a T shirt.
When you have to bug out, I sure hope you have time to go get your sleeping bag, roll it up, jam it into a stuff sack, then compress it, and strap it onto your bugout bag.

This is why my bugout sleeping bag is synthetic and not down. Because it WILL stay ready to go all the time.
crypto.

If anyone thinks the AK vs AR threads always result in a flame out you should see some of the down vs synthetic threads on backpacker forms. Oh man…It is like insulting someone's mother. :roll:

In general down retains its loft longer, warmer, lighter, and compress better than synthetics. You can keep a down bag compressed much longer. But if a down bag gets wet you are f@cked. I use synthetics for the 72-hour BOB but a down for the INCH bag as it will last longer.

edit.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:37 pm

I had always heard that down bags needed to be kept unrolled far more than synthetics, thats not true?

And wait, I'm supposed to just cram my sleeping bag into its compression sack instead of rolling it up? for real?

Man I'm having a real come-to-jesus moment here.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

mpi

Post by mpi » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:44 pm

you didn't know that? allot of military guys got the neatly roll it up and tie it thing. took me years to get over it.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:57 pm

crypto wrote:I had always heard that down bags needed to be kept unrolled far more than synthetics, thats not true?

And wait, I'm supposed to just cram my sleeping bag into its compression sack instead of rolling it up? for real?

Man I'm having a real come-to-jesus moment here.
Rolled or stuffed down bags will outlast synthetics hands down. Yes crypto you should cram the bag into the compression sack. The fibers will migrate if rolled over and over again resulting in dead zones. I know it sounds counter intuitive that stuffing is better than rolling.

Here is a maker of synthetic bags that claims his bags can be stored compressed.

http://www.wiggys.com/

I don't know if this is true. I hear his bags are good just too heavy for my liking. Also the owner is a not all that friendly. The guy hates me with a passion. Had to order a poncho liner from him using another address. I may order a wiggy bag in the future but can't use my name etc. The guy really hates my guts. Long story......
Last edited by Woods Walker on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:18 pm

crypto wrote: Man I'm having a real come-to-jesus moment here.

**cough**

:wink: :lol:

just funnin' with ya
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:24 pm

man you kill me. :LOL:

I've got a -15 bag I'll be testing out this weekend. it's a lot bigger than that.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

CommonHighrise

Post by CommonHighrise » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:54 pm

crypto wrote:

Can I rock and roll within seconds? No. I plan on having 15 minutes minimum to grab my gear and bug out the door. Yeah, I might not actually have 15 minutes warning. This is why I include the backup of having one of those small fleece sleeping bags crammed into my BOB. Cant get my fullsize bag, at least Ill have something. If I can get my bag, then its an extra layer to insulate me, or another person.
ImageImage

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:14 pm

CommonHighrise wrote:
This is why I include the backup of having one of those small fleece sleeping bags crammed into my BOB. Cant get my fullsize bag, at least Ill have something. If I can get my [added]fullsize[/added] bag, then its an extra layer to insulate me, or another person.
A+ Good Idea. In a compression sack from hell the extra space to be sacrificed in the BOB would not be too much at all...

I'm so stealing that idea.
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Indiana

Post by Indiana » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:22 pm

TGC double size polar fleece blankets from Best and Less $10.

Thank me later

chitown2k

Post by chitown2k » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:05 am

herbalpagan wrote: I would tuck in a cheap radio though.
Ditto, or a small am/fm headset; aside from that you did a very good job on a limited budget Erik.

I think many of us take the kitchen sink approach, because there is always some gear that you may theoretically need, but the cost to carry everything you have vs. taking just enough to get by for 3 days is the real balance that most people struggle with (I know I do).

You can spend immense amounts of money (and I love to gear whore), but it can get excessive. Plus, Theoretically, if it's your Bob it's supposed to be packed and ready to go at all times vs. it being composed of some of the gear that you use when you camp/hike/travel etc. To have a bag of high dollar gear sitting there, not being used (just ready for bugging), you have to be made of money.

Once again, nice job.
My Bob

One you lock the target,
Two you bait the line,
Three you slowly spread the net,
And four you catch the man!

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:53 am

Erik Room is awesome, I am actually wanting to redo my living room with almost the same color red. and going back to wood floors, Wouldnt happen to know what company/color/style the floor is would ya?

And the BOB is awesome, not to far off from my el cheapo right now

Erik

Post by Erik » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:11 am

Milkboot wrote:Erik Room is awesome, I am actually wanting to redo my living room with almost the same color red. and going back to wood floors, Wouldnt happen to know what company/color/style the floor is would ya?

And the BOB is awesome, not to far off from my el cheapo right now
Company? HA! Style? Har har har! *laugh* *wheeze* My house is a tiny shack built for poor factory workers in 1915 by drunken, unskilled laborers! The original floor was tongue and groove. Some years later, they put some kind of actual hardwood floor on top of that. Then in the 1950s, when *that* floor got too nasty (I'm told they had livestock in my little 1/3 acre yard at one point and they'd bring some of the babies in when it was too cold), they put the current floor on top of that. The floors in my house are now almost half a foot thick. The floor was so trashed by the time I moved in that I paid someone to completely sand down the floors and refinish them. They said the current layer was white oak. They are currently covered in protectant, but not stained. That is all I can tell you.

Here is a shot of the living room and floors.

Here's a shot of the previously beautiful floors in the wardrobe and bedroom before they were largely destroyed by pets.

-Erik

CommonHighrise

Post by CommonHighrise » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:56 am

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:
CommonHighrise wrote:
This is why I include the backup of having one of those small fleece sleeping bags crammed into my BOB. Cant get my fullsize bag, at least Ill have something. If I can get my [added]fullsize[/added] bag, then its an extra layer to insulate me, or another person.
A+ Good Idea. In a compression sack from hell the extra space to be sacrificed in the BOB would not be too much at all...

I'm so stealing that idea.
-
Making a Compression Sack of Doom for a fleece:

Grab a cheapie waterproof nylon stuff sack from WalMart, and two lengths of their compression straps, all in sporting goods.

Stuff fleece bag/blankets into sack, and compress down by hand. Should be a small basketball/football size.

Wrap one compression strap around it, and then the other, going on an alternate axis. Cinch down, alternating straps, til its about baseball size. Tuck in the loose straps. Dont cut them, as it makes it very hard to cinch the bag back down when youre breaking camp.

Not only will it work as a backup for not grabbing your fullsize bag, if your planning a 3-day bugout in fair weather, you wont even need to grab the bag.
ImageImage

Return to “Bug Out Gear”