Erik's Bob For The Poor - Pic heavy

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bonanacrom

Re: Erik's Bob For The Poor - Pic heavy

Post by bonanacrom » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Am I getting the feeling someone needs attention ?
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:05 am

Calling it a "$200 BOB" has always frustrated me. I mean, not everyone can count on picking up a Blackhawk assault pack for $15 bucks, nor the many items you scavenged from the house. I just had to get that off my chest - don't get me wrong, it's a great BOB and thread. Just the price was deceiving IMO.
My Pocket Survival Kit Comments appreciated!
Image Technician Class - KD0GHY
M1A SOCOM, .45, PIE!

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:30 am

hey what about some of them mechanics gloves instead of those work gloves? They're smaller and you can leave them on for most tasks as you still have some actual feeling in your fingers.

That or Jersey gloves, they're like $.99 a pair, but not as heavy duty as what you're carrying.
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Erik, I really like the way you were able to put the extra accessory bags on the side. That gives you lots of carry options. Great set-up you have there.
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:10 am

Erik, U rock! Thank you for posting this. I have a serious gear pr0n addiction and your excellent post was a much-needed cold shower to remind me that the adequate, affordable kit that actually gets completed* is better than the future-kit full of dreamy high-speed gear.

I don't typically like deeply coloured walls but I think yours are very attractive and elegant.

*well, kits are "moving targets" and never really complete, but you kwim... :)
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Re:

Post by aa1pr » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:58 am

Erik wrote:
crypto wrote:
Ellie With An Axe wrote: Does your sleeping bag hanging down there fwap you in the butt when you're running?
This is what I was going to ask. It looks like it would get in the way of your legs pretty easy.
Nay, it's not hanging low enough to hit my legs, just my rear end a bit. Any suggestions to raise it up would be welcomed.

-Erik
Why not run a lashing strap aroung the sleeping bag up through the one of the loops below the carbiner? that would hopefully lift it a bit?

cafemonkey
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later

Post by cafemonkey » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Thanks for the bump. This is a breath of fresh air after browsing all of the $200 flashlight/$500 bag threads.

The colors are great. My wife LOVES red walls.

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu May 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Bi-yearly BUMP.

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Thu May 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Erik wrote:Bi-yearly BUMP.
Shouldn't you be working on your FAK, or at least reading the instructions that came with your Talon so that you'll know how to unfold it? :wink:

Jim

zoiders

Re:

Post by zoiders » Sun May 24, 2009 9:56 pm

smiffy wrote:
crypto wrote:
smiffy wrote: "Dasiy Chains" seem a good idea
I'm not sure how a daisy chain would be used to do this, but I'd like to fond out.
Sheddi reminded me of the term, possibly it's a Britishism. It's what i'd call the strip of webbing loops going up the rear-centerline of the pack in question.
Not a britishism at all, not one we use.

I would try and mount the bag/tent verticaly though, possibly with bungie cords or utility straps.

gillis

Post by gillis » Tue May 26, 2009 6:16 pm

hey I think I see Ender's Game on your bookshelf... cool.

dragon rouge
Favorite Zombie Movies: omega man

Post by dragon rouge » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Dont let the naysayers knock your choices. Ive got an ontario machete that was issued to me years ago while in the TSG.Ive got edged tools by the gross but for brush clearing and real world use that old beat up Ontario pretty much beats every edged device I own within its limitations. I would consider adding a carbide edged folding saw from harbour freight $15 It wont cut anything real fast but will saw through almost anything eventually.Just because you didnt spend the cost of a small car on your kit doesnt mean that it wont do the job just as well as the latest gear freik collection that seems to permeate.A lot of my techno gadgets have wound up in the What the hell do I do with it now pile.I agree with the suggestion of a .22 of some sort though.Ive got a little Ruger stainless Bearcat that I always manage to find room for either in my pack or in my kayak It and a box of cartridges weigh about the same as an extra box of rounds for my .357 and thats my 2 cents worth

ugly old guns
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead (romero version)
28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by ugly old guns » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:04 am

Galls.com has the same pack on clearance for 19.99. I just bought one. Disregar. I'm the doofus who likes to order things plainly marked discontinued. DOH!
So the zombies are just a metaphor, right, guys? Right? Come on, someone tell me it's a metaphor. I want my Mommy!

Wileama

You are insane

Post by Wileama » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:17 am

You sir are insane, off in the deep end, lost your marbles, and what ever other euphemisms you want to use. Yet I must confess to being completely envious. I thought I was crazy buying a few MRE's, and a survival kit for my zombie preparedness. How you justify buying all that yummy gear is beyond me. Seriously last envious comment: You made a hell of a deal on that BlackHawk bag. They do in fact turn out quality product, and even used that sounds like a great price.

I am curious is that Quick Clot power, or a Quick Clot bandage? If it's the powder I suggest you drop it. Ever self aid buddy care class I've taken the instructor always emphasis just how much a last resort quick clot power is. Quick Clot will stop bleeding. However it's kind of akin to pouring cement into a wound. Long term it's going to do a lot of damage. I've heard of guys having surgery years down the line to deal with some of the health impacts. Heavens help you if you get the stuff in your eye. Hemostatic bandages are apparently all the rage instead. From what I understand it's basically the same stuff, only impregnated in a bandage. That helps preventing it from traveling through you veins, and what not.

Anyway awesome gear all around, not just the BOB either. I haven't looked around here much yet, but I imagine you will be the last man on earth. That, or irony will take you first. What ever the case, my hat is off to you.

P.S.Field wipes, or even just baby wipes. Their great for everything from cleaning your guns, to substitute showers. Lightweight, and cheap they should be an easy fit in your pack.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re:

Post by Dogan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:15 pm

Erik wrote:Why, thank you! :)
My ZS shot.

-Erik
Lotsa boxes....
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

blackhawk96dr

Post by blackhawk96dr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:35 am

hey Erick are you still taking suggestions on your B.O.B.
Be prepared today as tomorrow is to late!!!

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:14 am

Sure, I always take suggestions.

tjsjr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dawn of the Dead (new edition, i know its corney)

Post by tjsjr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:18 am

blackhawk96dr wrote:hey Erick are you still taking suggestions on your B.O.B.
Holy thread necro!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:50 am

tjsjr wrote:
Holy thread necro!
However, it's a good necro. This is a good thread and there is nothing wrong with a little bump and grind, when the thread is haut.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:55 am

Regular Guy wrote:
tjsjr wrote:
Holy thread necro!
However, it's a good necro. This is a good thread and there is nothing wrong with a little bump and grind, when the thread is haut.
Agreed. Solid post and worth a bump so our new folks see it.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

ccwaters

Post by ccwaters » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:06 pm

those Blackhawk side bags, and a compression sack are on sale for $25 bucks for the three pieces right now, ARPAT, but I grabbed a set anyhow..

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/produc ... spx?id=874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DrTank09
Favorite Zombie Movies: TV Series: The Walking Dead

Movie: Zombieland (To funny if stupid)

Re: You are insane

Post by DrTank09 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:13 am

Wileama wrote:I am curious is that Quick Clot power, or a Quick Clot bandage? If it's the powder I suggest you drop it. Ever self aid buddy care class I've taken the instructor always emphasis just how much a last resort quick clot power is. Quick Clot will stop bleeding. However it's kind of akin to pouring cement into a wound. Long term it's going to do a lot of damage. I've heard of guys having surgery years down the line to deal with some of the health impacts. Heavens help you if you get the stuff in your eye. Hemostatic bandages are apparently all the rage instead. From what I understand it's basically the same stuff, only impregnated in a bandage. That helps preventing it from traveling through you veins, and what not.
This could potentially be a really useful tid-bit of info. Thanks for the heads up.
DannySkillZ wrote:hey I think I see Ender's Game on your bookshelf... cool.
Read that book for the first time in the sixth grade and read it every year since. Orson Scott Card is my favorite science fiction writer hands down.

I know that the BOB should be limited to what a person can reasonably carry without exhausting themselves, but I have idea that may actually be practical for those who live in the northern regions of the world. If one had the money, he or she could buy a deer sled and more than quadruple their carrying capacity. This particular method of carrying items would be impractical to those that live in an area with little to no snow throughout winter, but just buying a well made deer sled and having the potential to carry more supplies in a winter SHTF situation could be useful. I personally would not use this method during any other period beyond snow season, but during the snow season the work to move an extra fifty pounds being pulled behind you is minimal and in my opinion worth the effort.

Also if you get a big enough model, the sled can double as a bedding platform which will help with insulation and comfort.

Great thread by the way, I respect you quite a bit for the library you have, to many people forget the importance of a good book. I like the living room as well, although I personally would go for a wood stain as well on the trim to match the floor.

geoffreys7

Post by geoffreys7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:07 pm

A bump, and a really nice setup. I'm looking for ideas on redoing my bag and your post helped a lot!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”