Sewing Kit Question

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Squirrley

Sewing Kit Question

Post by Squirrley » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:36 pm

So, I decided to get off my lazy ass and make a small sewing kit for my BOB. I got an old debit card that I've carefully cut divots in the edges to wrap thread around. How the hell do I tie off the thread? Well not tie off with a knot, but keep it from unraveling? I tried cutting some little slices in the edge with a knife, like on a normal spool of thread, but I can only get a V shaped slit thats too obtuse to catch the thread.

EDIT: I actually found an x-acto blade a couple minutes after I posted this, and that made a fine enough cut to work. I figured I'd leave this up for other people to read, and to add comments about small BOB sewing kits.

Another question, how are other people storing needles?

I've found that the best way to start wrapping thread is to hold onto an end, make a couple wraps, and then fold the tail over perpendicular, in a numeral 4 shape, and wrap on top of it to lock it in place.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:12 pm

I would put the needles into an empty super glue container. That would insure that they would stay unbent and the hard plastic of the container would prevent them from piercing into your other gear.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:44 pm

I save the containers automatic pencil lead and erasers come in. They work fine. If you don't have anything like that, make a tube with a drinking straw and a bit of tape and/or a heat crimp. Put the whole thing in a small case, like an Altoids tin, and label it.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Psyko5616
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead,

Post by Psyko5616 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:46 pm

I was running into a similar issue with trying to keep my fishing line from unraveling, I ended up using a thick rubber band, seems to work pretty well.

Shorty0969

Post by Shorty0969 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:05 pm

ironraven wrote:I save the containers automatic pencil lead and erasers come in. They work fine. If you don't have anything like that, make a tube with a drinking straw and a bit of tape and/or a heat crimp. Put the whole thing in a small case, like an Altoids tin, and label it.
If you're going to keep it in an Altoids tin anyway, you can just cut a small piece of sponge and stick the needles into it, kind of like a mini pin cushion. That would keep the needles from floating free and sticking you.

Or, you could cut a strip of velcro, lay it out and place the needles on it with just a bit of the eye end sticking out and the place the other part of the velcro over it.
BethDeath wrote:p.s. fuck p.i.e.
doc66 wrote:I Love You. I even heart you.

TBear0574

Post by TBear0574 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:52 pm

I bought a pack of needles at walmart, came in a round plastic holder and has different size needles in it, and for the thread i just put 2 spool in a zip lock bag. They realy dont take up much space.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:22 am

In light of this thread (sic) I think this is a good addition to an INCH or longterm hiking/camping setup (or maybe an 80lb plus BOB :wink: )...
http://www.kitbag.com.au/prod60.htm
http://www.kitbag.com.au/prod75.htm
Like it says on the linkage...
If you have ever been out field and one of the buttons has flown of your uniform ! or the
one part of your vital webbing you dont need to get torn has.......
The 30yard roll of tough thread could be put to other uses also.

Combined with or included in this...
http://www.kitbag.com.au/prod831.htm

I'd store the needles in a cork, rubber or foam as described in some above posts. Also add a cheap micromagnifying glass from a cheap eyeglass repair kit to aid in threading those pesky leedleneedles.

Trade out the duplicated spools of cotton (Is colour coordination really gonna matter after a hurricane flattens your house? Will shamblers focus their attentions on you because of thier innate sense of fashion criticsm?) for something else - like trace wire, haybaling twine or sailmaker's stuff that you could use for shelter details, eyelets repair etc with the Reamer w Sewing Eyelet tool on most Multitools/SAKs/Sailor's Friends...
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:34 am

I have two of those sewing awls. I find them indespensible for DIY projects. I've found that they use practically anything as thread. I've also stiched stuff using fishing line in place of the thread just by winding the line around an empty spool. The handle of the awl makes a great place to cache needles and the small wrench to tighten the needles.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Biff

Post by Biff » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:43 am

Last edited by Biff on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:00 pm

I use spiderwire fishing line for all sewing. A piece of notecard or a matchbook/box works well for holding needles.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:02 pm

I started a thread a few months ago on my homemade sewing kit. Check it out!
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:35 pm

DrGonzo, I completely forgot about your thread!

Also, I have a palm and a sewing awl, but they stay in my whipping kit. I just wanted a small thing to throw in my BOB, since I don't feel like carting around a gaint(in comparison) and heavy bag for Just In Case purposes. I like the altoids tin idea, I think I'll do that. That way I can have some small pieces of fabric for patches in there, too.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:14 pm

If you are going to sew with spiderwire, bring a candle or a bit of beeswax- running it over the wax makes it a lot less likely to kink up.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”