Cost-efficient alternative to Eagle Rhodesian Vest?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Leonidas

Cost-efficient alternative to Eagle Rhodesian Vest?

Post by Leonidas » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:42 am

I very much like the Eagle Rhodesian. Molle attachments, open back, no permanently attached pouches, plate carrying, etc. Here are a few pictures of the item in question:

I'd just up and buy one, except that I'm poor, and a $160 vest is hard to justify. I know that there are 1001 good generic gear makers out there, so I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a generic version of the Rhodesian. I'd also be interested in a similarly patterned vest, or good reasoning as to why I'd want something different. Thanks,

Dan
The great bulk of my wealthy and educated friends regard me as a dangerous crank.
--Theodore Roosevelt

axisofignorance

Post by axisofignorance » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:54 am

Well check out the eagle chest rig from skd. You arent going to beat $59
http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAct ... ProdID=633

It doesnt have plate carrying capabilities, but if $160 is out of your price range you arent going to be buying plates.

If you must have that exact layout then blackhawk makes the same rig but for 100 bucks.

Slaying zombies isnt a cheap hobby.

waterborne

Post by waterborne » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:42 pm

If you don't feel your life is worth a 160$ then I'm sure someone in China or hong kong makes a knock off vest just like that one, Good gear is expensive for a reason.
Heart beats, air goes in and out, and O2 is good.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:22 pm

Though I do not own anything from them, I heard Tactical Tailor makes some good stuff. Browse this:
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp ... ategory=16
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Leonidas

Post by Leonidas » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:12 am

I should have thought of Tactical Tailor right off the bat. Great stuff, and they have just what I'm looking for (and they're local--about a ten minute drive for me). Thanks, Ninja-elbow.
If you don't feel your life is worth a 160$ then I'm sure someone in China or hong kong makes a knock off vest just like that one, Good gear is expensive for a reason.
Aww, it just wouldn't be a gear thread without a gear snob. Thank you, waterborne, for bringing us all such joy. Of course, I can get an incredibly high-quality American-made product at Tac Tailor for less than half the Eagle one, but then it just won't say Eagle on the tag, will it?

Dan
The great bulk of my wealthy and educated friends regard me as a dangerous crank.
--Theodore Roosevelt

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:45 pm

but then it just won't say Eagle on the tag, will it?
I wouldn't say that the tag is the only difference. Eagle is more expensive for several reasons, but for your purposes, I don't think it'd make a difference. If I was gonna buy one piece of gear to do three deployments with, it'd be Eagle. That's not to say TT doesn't make good gear; they do. And for your purposes, it'll more than fit the bill. Its just not accurate to say that Eagle and TT are equivalent on an absolute scale; they're not...but for other-than-going-to-war uses, the difference won't be very apparent to anyone but a serious geardo.

I gotta stick up for Geardoism; if I don't, there are only a whole bunch of other people here who will! :lol: :lol:
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:02 pm

Leonidas wrote:I should have thought of Tactical Tailor right off the bat. Great stuff, and they have just what I'm looking for (and they're local--about a ten minute drive for me). Thanks, Ninja-elbow.
Oh wow, I didn't know they were local to you - which means they are 3 hours local to me.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Gunfighter1

Post by Gunfighter1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:43 pm

I agree with Eagel being top of the line. Ive been using my CIRAS for almost 2 years now and its still in great shape. But if you want a cheaper knock off check out this site http://www.1337tactical.com they have knock off gear for a decent price. Dont think id trust my life to it but some people i know use there gear nad like it.
"If some asshole starts to think hes Charles Bronson break his nose with the butt of your gun"
Mr. White

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:05 pm

A blackhawk strike vest is almost exactly the same, and for around $100.

I use one and love it.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Leonidas

Post by Leonidas » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:38 am

Just to clarify, I'm not knocking Eagle--I'm more than aware that they make top-of-the-line equipment. They also make top-of-the-price-tag equipment. The cheap, generally Chinese, made for airsoft products are not acceptable for any real usage, because the stitching and cheap nylon fall apart far too soon. Mall Ninjas love them for their thirty dollar price tag, and pretty much use them as wall hangers. Guys like Tac Tailor, Blackhawk (also local--it's great living near Fort Lewis), and some other, smaller U.S.-based gear makers offer a lower price than Eagle, and great gear that you can really beat the hell out of.

Dan
--Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Bug Out Gear”