Cheap Gear

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Cheap Gear

Post by airballrad » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:37 pm

My first New Topic. Be gentle.

I have an addiction many here seem to share; I love gear. The more durable and practical, the better. Gadgets also have their place in my heart.

What is your best "inexpensive" gear find. Not cheap, per se, but a good piece of gear that you got at a great price? Bonus points if it is still available at that price and you share your source :-)

My best find; multitools were on Clearance at Target one weekend. I got a Gerber Multi-Plier 600 for $9.97

I grabbed a $14 Leatherman Core too, but my wife would not let me keep both. My Dad was very happy come Fathers' Day :roll:

Squirrley

Re: Cheap Gear

Post by Squirrley » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:42 pm

airballrad wrote: I grabbed a $14 Leatherman Core too, but my wife would not let me keep both. My Dad was very happy come Fathers' Day :roll:
Wow. That sucks, your wife has problems with you having two MULTITOOLS?!?

And, besides all the stuff I've gotten as gifts, I think my firesteel has got to be the coolest piece of gear for cheap.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Strangersolz

Post by Strangersolz » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:01 pm

The cheapest gear I've gotten was a SKS and an M1 carbine for about $100 from a friend before he shipped for the military.
"Now, why would you jump out a perfectly good airplane?"

"Um... because the door was open"

KillerRN

Post by KillerRN » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:05 pm

I would have to say my mini14, ranchrifle , some lady was getting a divorce and she was selling his stuff cheap so I got the rifle, 5 mags a scope and a case of ammo for $200.00 :shock: Iknow, it was a good day! :lol: kinda feel sorry for the guy ....he was later arested on drug charges.... :D

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Cheap Gear

Post by airballrad » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:11 pm

squirrley wrote: Wow. That sucks, your wife has problems with you having two MULTITOOLS?!?

And, besides all the stuff I've gotten as gifts, I think my firesteel has got to be the coolest piece of gear for cheap.
It was not having two multitools (I have the Gerber and 3 other Leatherman tools, plus a handful of mini-tools and knockoffs). It was buying two at once and keeping both. :lol:

She doesn't want me to get greedy, I guess...

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:25 pm

My British P58 webbing set for like $6.00. Pretty much defines cheap and durable. Most of it is still part of my kit.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:33 am

I got some BDU jackets for a dollar once, and some pants for three bucks. I got the jackets at an army surplus store and the pants at Goodwill. I also have to brag about my case of MREs that I got for forty bucks (another surplus store find).
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

ShakesFIST

Post by ShakesFIST » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:36 am

The factory seconds bin at Tactical Tailor frequently has my hands in it. :)

Umbrella

Post by Umbrella » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:05 am

All sorts of cool stuff from County Comm and that is thanks to this site. (saw a Widgy and had to have one)

I have a Widgy Tool, EOD Bag, Ambassador Organizer, Norton's UCS, technician screwdriver, MOLLE Light.....and I keep finding more stuff that I NEED
--Umbrella Corporation--
International Biological Solutions

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:15 am

I got a '42byf K98k, M35 helmet, and bayonet for $100 from a guy getting out of Reenacting.

The K98 was worth more than that alone, and the helmet could pay my rent.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

jmcanon92

Post by jmcanon92 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:12 pm

I found a whole mess of multitools and swiss army knives and scissors for sale cheap at the Texas air museum in San Antonio. They had a deal with a local airport. When security took them from passangers, the airport sold them to the museum for next to nothing. Some of them were pretty good deals.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:22 pm

I was given a Gore Tex jacket and Safariland 6004. I get lotsa free stuff from vendors, but I think my best score was some London Bridge Trading Co gear of various styles for $5 each. They're going to Ebay this weekend if I get around to it, where I can get prolly $60 each for 'em.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:26 pm

Haji wrote:I was given a Gore Tex jacket and Safariland 6004. I get lotsa free stuff from vendors, but I think my best score was some London Bridge Trading Co gear of various styles for $5 each. They're going to Ebay this weekend if I get around to it, where I can get prolly $60 each for 'em.
If you're willing to ship those to Japan, I bet you could get even more. Those Japanese airsofters seem to go bonkers for anything even remotely associated with NSW. :D
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:18 pm

2 mora knives delivered for $25 from:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:57 pm

Civilian Scout wrote:
Haji wrote:I was given a Gore Tex jacket and Safariland 6004. I get lotsa free stuff from vendors, but I think my best score was some London Bridge Trading Co gear of various styles for $5 each. They're going to Ebay this weekend if I get around to it, where I can get prolly $60 each for 'em.
If you're willing to ship those to Japan, I bet you could get even more. Those Japanese airsofters seem to go bonkers for anything even remotely associated with NSW. :D
That's why I bought 'em. LBT is sometimes worth more than what the retail price is there, but I don't have (any more of) the ultra desirable stuff. Still, what I have will make me money. I've gotten pretty darn good at shipping to HK, Taiwan, and Japan.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:45 pm

Big5 sporting goods is having a sale on a Smith&Wesson large frame folder for $15 bucks thats about 80%off a really solid folder.

They also have a BEEMAN .177/.22 DUAL-CALIBER AIR RIFLE for $149.00 I like the dual calibers .177@1000fps/.22@850fps looks like a decent deal.

Sale goes till 9-23-07

Miles

riply

Post by riply » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:29 pm

I got a M1 garand for free any one beet that?

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:21 pm

Just got back from BIG5 and bought 2 of these @ $29.00 each. The blade is marked "Titanium 440 steel" its 11 3/4" long with a blade length of 5 1/2" Full tang and a full 1/4" thickness, handle is made from G10 material.
Comes with a Kydex ballistic sheath and small diamond sharpener.
It's not a fancy brand but for the price a great deal and will keep your prized knife from some abuse.

They were out of the Beeman .177/.22 air rifle so I can't comment on the quality or finish.

Miles

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:42 pm

nfa wrote:2 mora knives delivered for $25 from:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

nfa
Which knives did you get and have you tested them out? I kinda like these and after seeing the ones other people have posted I think I am going to get one. I am going to spend a lot of money on knives because of this site...why does everyone have such cool stuff?
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:52 pm

I can beat a free garand. I got a free 1903A1 and a Ruger Security Six with two free speedloaders. Plus a free Mossberg 500.

waterborne

Post by waterborne » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:00 am

I got my AR-7 and my shotgun for free thats about it.
Heart beats, air goes in and out, and O2 is good.

Dr Tran

Post by Dr Tran » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:16 pm

Free 870, Marlin .22, .177 air gun, Winchester 94, Savage 30-30.
Not bad for nothing.
"People sometimes ask me how I can be so cruel and sadistic. I tell them it's because I have the
heart of a young boy, in a jar on my desk next to my paperweight."
-Stephen King

thorian

Post by thorian » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Yard saling saturday I picked up a Officers length Pea Coat for $5
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Grace

Post by Grace » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:00 pm

Once I found $5 in my laundry that I know wasn't in any pockets when it went in.

...that's about it. :(

Anyway, I like to "window shop," so to speak, and save the links to things I like. Every week or so I check them out to see if they're having a sale, or if they're on clearance or something. Also, making gear or improving the gear that you have is extremely satisfying. Or, at least, that's my experience.
I think a good gift for the President would be a chocolate revolver. And since he is so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real quick and give it to him.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”