my bob (picture heavy)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SharkChild

my bob (picture heavy)

Post by SharkChild » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:41 pm

Here is my bob.
here is my bag GoLite Pinnacle Pack:
http://golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5252&s=1

The rain cover:

Water filter:
MSR Miniworks EX Water Filter
nalgene wide mouth bottle
camel bottle
MSR 4 liter Dromlite Bag ( will be ordering soon)

sleeping stuff:
Golite Hex 3 with nest (nest is on it's way)
Tarp
clickme

ranger roll
Thermarest pad( Will be ordering it on Friday) tomorrow

Flashlight and batteries:
8 aa batteries
4AA e2 batteries
pelican case with cr123a batteries
Surefire SC3
surefire E2E
fenix L2t

Knife:
1 sypderco delica (not shown)
1 leatherman kick multitiool
fixed blade
detacable blade knife

Fire:
2 boxes of wind and water proof matches
1 bic lighter
2 crackhead lighters

tolitress:
toothpaste
tooth brush
artificial tears
biodegradable campsoap
1double roll of toliet paper
and duct tape

550paracord about 96 feet:

A Rite in the rain notbook (given to me by [/b]L1Z4RD)
along with a mre. (Thanks)

Cloths and food I will post next week hopefully.
And my FAK too.
Tell me what you think.
Last edited by SharkChild on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
nfa wrote:must...keep...my...fucking...mouth...shut...
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:50 pm

I think needs more PICS!

wondering why you put duct tape under toiletries... :shock:

And on to serious stuff. Seems like you have a lot of flashlights and knives. Although I can't really talk, but if you end up with too much weight I'd ditch a flashlight or two. Also, get a head lamp.

What do you mean by detachable blade knife? like a utility knife? If so, I'd say ditch it in favor of a sharpener.

I'd also get a firesteel or the like, as another form of fire. Lighters and matches run out and break and stuff, and sometimes it happens in your pack without you even knowing until you go to start a fire.

Might want to get a couple more Nalgenes or the like, water = good.

I know from your other posts that where you are and the camping you do so far that the ranger roll will work fine, but I'd put a good sleeping bag on one of those 'to eventually buy' lists.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:53 pm

squirrley wrote:I think needs more PICS!

wondering why you put duct tape under toiletries... :shock:

And on to serious stuff. Seems like you have a lot of flashlights and knives. Although I can't really talk, but if you end up with too much weight I'd ditch a flashlight or two. Also, get a head lamp.

What do you mean by detachable blade knife? like a utility knife? If so, I'd say ditch it in favor of a sharpener.

I'd also get a firesteel or the like, as another form of fire. Lighters and matches run out and break and stuff, and sometimes it happens in your pack without you even knowing until you go to start a fire.

Might want to get a couple more Nalgenes or the like, water = good.

I know from your other posts that where you are and the camping you do so far that the ranger roll will work fine, but I'd put a good sleeping bag on one of those 'to eventually buy' lists.
pics are on the way.
I am still working on my stuff.
I want to get a snugpak it is in the near future. The head lamp is a good idea. Any good ones that you recommend?

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:55 pm

YAY pics!

Ok, I see what you mean by detachable blade knife, and my vote is still ditch it, the fixed and the delica should be more than enough.

Edit: Does that fixed blade have a fully serrated blade? Also, does your Delica? cause if so, I'd say you want at least one 'real' AKA not on leatherman knife that has a straight blade.
Last edited by Squirrley on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:57 pm

I did not know where to put the duct tape at.

I lost some of my other pics but I will try to put some more up. I just need to get my shit together.

I am looking at somekind of flint steel or swedish fire starter.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:03 pm

sharkchild wrote: I am looking at somekind of flint steel or swedish fire starter.
I have a swedish firesteel, and I love it. braindead easy to work. That, plus a film canister full of vaseliney cotton balls is the bomb.

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:07 pm

squirrley wrote:
sharkchild wrote: I am looking at somekind of flint steel or swedish fire starter.
I have a swedish firesteel, and I love it. braindead easy to work. That, plus a film canister full of vaseliney cotton balls is the bomb.
How much vasoline do I put on a cotton ball?

edit:Added two more pics. I am going to get another nalgene bottle.
I need to get another blade that is straight edge.
Mine are all serrated edge.

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:06 am

nice set up.
the best way to vasoline cotton balls is to heat 1 1/2 in. of water in a pan.
set the tub of vasoline in the hot water untill the vasoline becomes liquid.
then use chop sticks or twiszers to soak the cotton balls.
set them on some foil to cool.
when cool store in a flim canister or fold them up in foil squares( when you need fire you just cut an "X" into the square and pull out a little cotton and lite up).
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:11 am

sharkchild wrote:
squirrley wrote:
How much vasoline do I put on a cotton ball?

edit:Added two more pics. I am going to get another nalgene bottle.
I need to get another blade that is straight edge.
Mine are all serrated edge.
I just toss some cotton balls in a bowl and mix in the Vaseline. Messy but fast and easy. They are done when the cotton balls stick together and look like saturated. To ignite I just pull one apart and toss a spark or flame on it.

Never used the hot water trick but maybe next time I will give it a try.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

L1Z4RD

Post by L1Z4RD » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:22 am

Nice pics. If I were you, I would toss up a picture heavy warning on your Thread title.

Cant wait to see your stuff. I should be off Saturday if you wanna come by. Just gimme a call.
ImageImage

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.
Xbox Live Gamertag: XxL1Z4RDxX
Regular Guy wrote:Lizard looks like he can bend steel by looking at it.

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:16 am

mega-hertz wrote:nice set up.
the best way to vasoline cotton balls is to heat 1 1/2 in. of water in a pan.
set the tub of vasoline in the hot water untill the vasoline becomes liquid.
then use chop sticks or twiszers to soak the cotton balls.
set them on some foil to cool.
when cool store in a flim canister or fold them up in foil squares( when you need fire you just cut an "X" into the square and pull out a little cotton and lite up).
Another way is to just nuke the vaseline for 10 seconds and do it that way. I don't have a microwave, so I coat a piece of foil, lay the cotton balls on it, then fold the foil over and seal it, then pop it in the oven for a few minutes, then just pop the unopened foil into my bag. Just don't actually cook the cotton balls... :lol: The objective is just to heat the vaseline.

I keep my duct tape in my "utility/tools" bag, where I keep flashlight, headlamp, multitool, extra knife, lighters, compass, sewing kit, etc. Just an idea if you're trying out different ways of organizing.

GoLite, Thermarest, great. And if you're happy with the sportsman's blanket as a tarp, and the ranger roll as a bed, more power to ya. I like to err on the side of comfort and carry a tent (under 3 lbs.) and a sleeping bag (3 lbs.). After a long day, this is one of my few luxuries. Plus a good shelter and bag can literally save your life.

Great on lights and batteries and water filter and water carrying.

More TP. A comb. Signal/hygiene mirror. Nail clippers.

Looks great so far!

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:47 am

Downsize your toothpaste and replace the gained volume with something useful.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:22 am

Gunny wrote:Downsize your toothpaste and replace the gained volume with something useful.
Like vaseline-y cotton balls!

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:47 pm

Like the otterbox but a big waste of volume. Loss the foam and just put electricians tape to the terminal ends, tape the bundle together if you dont want them bouncing around to much in there. This should give you at least 2/3rds of the inside volume of the otterbox for other things that you want to stay dry. Just a thought.

Miles

Fennrisulfr

Post by Fennrisulfr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:49 pm

For a headlamp, I recommend Petzl and Black Diamond. I use a Petzl Myolite 3 (a big upgrade over the Myolite which only had the main Xenon bulb). It has a big halogen for long distance and a smaller set of LED lights for use in closer proximity. The LEDs are great for working around the camp at night. It has completely replaced flashlights in my life. I use it for everything from backpacking to working under the sink or in the attic.

A friend of mine uses a Black Diamond Icon which I really like. It uses LEDs for both of its lights (main head lamp and small light) which is nice because it's all white light instead of yellowy light of my halogen.

Bottom line: You can't got wrong with most Petzl or Black Diamond models. Check out http://www.backcountry.com/store/group/ ... lamps.html and read some reviews. They have a good selection with great prices.
I Survived Zombie Con 2007!
ZS Fleet #0065

"Medical authorities in Cumberland have concluded that in all cases, the killers are eating the flesh of the people they kill."

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:25 am

Just got a mre and a rite in the Rain binder from L1Z4RD (Thanks). Pictures included on top.

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:58 pm

Well, today I got my bob today. It is a golite pinnacle bag, also with it I bought a mountainsmith rain cover, and a Light Trek unbrella.

Will take more pics when I get back from school.

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:21 pm

Here is a side shot:

And here is a backshot:

Will get better pics when I get back from school.
In the second picture I have to use a mirror so that I can see the screen on the camera. :D

I will wait till my brothe can take a picture.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:03 pm

Ha, the fish decal on the mirror in the last photo looks like a new hat!
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Umbrella

Post by Umbrella » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:11 pm

milesdzyn wrote:Like the otterbox but a big waste of volume. Loss the foam and just put electricians tape to the terminal ends, tape the bundle together if you dont want them bouncing around to much in there. This should give you at least 2/3rds of the inside volume of the otterbox for other things that you want to stay dry. Just a thought.

Miles
If you want a container for your batteries there are a few smaller options.

County Comm Battery Holder
http://www.countycomm.com/CBH.htm

TAD Gear Batuca Battery Case
http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/g ... y_case.htm
--Umbrella Corporation--
International Biological Solutions

fixitman

Post by fixitman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:29 pm

8 aa batteries
4AA e2 batteries
pelican case with cr123a batteries
Surefire SC3
surefire E2E
fenix L2t

Too many lights if you ask me. I would try and stick with just one battery type, preferably AA. This way you can get a radio and other gear that uses the same batteries. lose the plastic battery case, too much space and to reduce weight a bit. I just keep my batteries in a small ziplock bag.
The fenix L2T is nice, but if you have the $$$, upgrade to the version 2.0, its MUCH brighter and batteries last longer. Or go with a L2Dce Premium(more modes, even brighter still).

My headlight is a Garrity that takes 3AA batteries. Center spot is a Luxeon, with 3 smaller LEDs for area lighting, and 2 red LEDs for night vision. $18 at walmart. It is a bit heavy, but works well, and is water resistant.
I cant remember who makes it, but there is now a 1AA powered headlight available that has multiple modes, looks pretty nice. I cant remember if I saw it at walmart or a camping supply store. I think I will get one.

Also, too many knives. You really only need 1 general purpose knife with a 3 1/2 to 5" blade, a multitool, and shelter/fire building tool. Shelter/fire builder tool can be a good large blade knife, a saw, or a hatchet. My current is a hatchet, and I tend to prefer the hatchet for overall utility. A saw is safer, but pretty much a one trick pony. A large blade knife is nice, but one that is big and tough enough for chopping duty tends to be heavy and very expensive. The fiskars/gerber hatchets are getting good reviews these days.

You need a small radio too. Walmart has a little am/fm that takes AA batteries, and costs $5. There are also small radios that do TV sound, weather radio, and shortwave.

-Compass
-Maps
-Fishing line. I have some spiderwire brand that is not much thicker than regular thread, but is 65 pound test. Great for repairs, laying out a security perimiter (add some bells or other noise makers), using as twine, etc. I keep my fishing line, wire, and duct tape wrapped around an old used up store gift card. I cut notches to wrap the line and wire. Makes a small, neat, lightweight package.
-Other fishing gear, if applicable to your area.
-thin Stainless steel wire, for traps, etc.
-Super glue, great stuff for repairs, can be used for some first aid situations. Wrapping a broken object with the fishing line, then putting some superglue on it makes for a very strong repair. I prefer the Gel kind. Make sure to protect it somehow, cause a broke tube in your gear SUCKS.
-a shovel of some kind, for making latrine, fire pit, etc. I just carry a $1 plastic gardening trowel from walmart, Its small, and very light. I will probably upgrade to a glock or similar someday.
-stove of some kind. I currently just use a large can with breathing holes top and bottom for using sticks as fuel, works but its not great. I also keep an esbit stove in my car. Soda can alcahol stoves are very nice, or you can get the surplus alcohol stoves. And of course there are a huge variety of other stoves.
-mess kit

Thats it for now, gotta go get some actual stuff done today....
screwdrivers, wrenches, and pliers, Oh my!

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:58 pm

Nice bag! Nice fish helmet!

Good call on the spyderwire, fixitman. Its so small/light theres no reason to not have some. I need to go get some now.

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:19 pm

I know I have a good amount of batteries but I only have 2 flashlights.

Mess kit and stoves are on my list. I am trying to buy at least an item a week.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:20 pm

sharkchild wrote:I am trying to buy at least an item a week.
I tried that for awhile. I'm now broke. But I've got a jetboil, an MSR water filter, a nice REI pack (or two), a kick ass flashlight, more knives than I can shake a stick at, a spool of pchord, and and and

Return to “Bug Out Gear”