My Alcohol stove with windscreen

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

111t

Re: My Alcohol stove with windscreen

Post by 111t » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
Slugg wrote:hey im gona make one but i have a few questions. do you put cotton inside? also, how do u put it out, just blow it out? or is it better to let it burn out.
No need for cotton. It does not blow out all that easy. I just let it run down.
The first one of these stoves that i made called for perlite inside to act as a wicking agent... like Woods Walker said, I'm not sure this is necessary. The stove worked fine though. Perlite is a lightweight, porus volcanic stone used with potted plants. It's sold in the form of tiny pebble sized bits. You could find it in the garden center at any good big box store.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:58 pm

I don't use any wick substance in my stoves. I also just blow them out, cause I don't have my fuel needs measured out (ex 10ccs of alcohol to boil one drinks worth of water or w/e), so I pour a lot in. Like sometimes around twice as much. So I blow it out and let the stove sit for ≈5 min and then try to pour the fuel back in my bottle. Usually doesn't work so hot, but oh well.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Woods Walker
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:56 pm

111t wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:
Slugg wrote:hey im gona make one but i have a few questions. do you put cotton inside? also, how do u put it out, just blow it out? or is it better to let it burn out.
No need for cotton. It does not blow out all that easy. I just let it run down.
The first one of these stoves that i made called for perlite inside to act as a wicking agent... like Woods Walker said, I'm not sure this is necessary. The stove worked fine though. Perlite is a lightweight, porus volcanic stone used with potted plants. It's sold in the form of tiny pebble sized bits. You could find it in the garden center at any good big box store.
Perlite seems to be used more in pressurized stoves. I have used it in the past when making these types but moved over to the double walled stove as they are self priming. With the penny type stoves I needed to make a little dish for the fuel to preheat the stove or dump a little extra on the stove itself. Not a big deal however.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:50 pm

White fuel? Like white gas? Like Coleman fuel? If so... glad you managed to stay out of the burn unit :shock:
aa1pr wrote:I made another one of these stoves but to specs. This time I used a thumb tack for my flame holes/ports. When I tried the white fuel and the jets caught hold I had flames almost two feet high, So please avoid white fuel unless you enlarge the holes like I did on my first attempt ( I used small brads). I am not sure what I did wrong but on the first unit I used brads for the port holes and had a 1/4 hole in the top center for filling purposes and after the flames caught I covered up with a quarter. This time my filler holes consisted of just six tack holes. maybe this increased the internal pressure? Guess playing around could have cost me. I will have to try the heet when I get the chance to find some locally. For now I am done with the white fuel!
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:34 am

Festus Hagen wrote:White fuel? Like white gas? Like Coleman fuel? If so... glad you managed to stay out of the burn unit :shock:
aa1pr wrote:I made another one of these stoves but to specs. This time I used a thumb tack for my flame holes/ports. When I tried the white fuel and the jets caught hold I had flames almost two feet high, So please avoid white fuel unless you enlarge the holes like I did on my first attempt ( I used small brads). I am not sure what I did wrong but on the first unit I used brads for the port holes and had a 1/4 hole in the top center for filling purposes and after the flames caught I covered up with a quarter. This time my filler holes consisted of just six tack holes. maybe this increased the internal pressure? Guess playing around could have cost me. I will have to try the heet when I get the chance to find some locally. For now I am done with the white fuel!
I know but it was all I had at the time and I wanted to experiment!
I know now that I possibly could have been the next Darwin candidate?

Bedsit Bob

Post by Bedsit Bob » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:40 am

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here, and would like to comment.

Personally, I make my stoves from Vimto cans, which have a different (tapered) shape to the inner top rim.

This enables me to use the top of the can for the burner unit, which allows me to lower the jets, and do away with the pot stand.

To borrow a phrase from Blue Peter, here's one I made earlier. :D

It weighs 16g - 0.55 oz, and fits perfectly inside a round 100ml Clip Lock container (total weight of stove and container 48g - 1.7 oz) for damage free carrying in my day sack.

As for fuel, I use Bio-Ethanol fuel (sold for use in Bio-Ethanol fireplaces), which is much cheaper (£5 for 2 litres at B&Q, compared to £15-92 for Methylated Spirits), and cleaner burning.
Most people get AIDS from sex; but President Clinton got sex from aides.

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:22 am

Thread necro achievement- unlocked!

I experimented with a bunch of alcohol stove designs (only a small fraction of what is out there, but a bunch!)

I settled on two, well... three.

The "Cat Can" stove is so incredibly easy to make, light, and use, there really isn't much excuse for using anything else. http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-mak ... hol-stove/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One "problem" with it, if you like to use a Heiney pot it is not very stable on a Cat Can. So I still use my Klasslite stove.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lQc3L8n ... Qc3L8n5kqY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; While incredibly light, it is still a whisker heavier than a Cat Can and way, way slower to boil but that's the price I pay to carry the Heiney pot.

Before the Cat Can, I was a really big fan of the Bud "Cottle" stove, a knock-off of the White Box stove. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... bNPq8u9KSM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite by accident, I found the Cat Can nests perfectly over the White Box knockoff. This gives me two very good burners in a very small, convenient package. So, I keep the Cottle stove around for those times when I still want to use alkie stoves but might want two burners, all in a compact package.

Here's most of my starting lineup (not sure where my Klasslite has gotten to...

And here's the nested Bud Bottle stove/Cat Can stove
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

111t

Post by 111t » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Nice. It's the smallest two burner setup I've ever seen.
All the best!
-Paul

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Festus Hagen wrote:I experimented with a bunch of alcohol stove designs (only a small fraction of what is out there, but a bunch!)

- The "Cat Can" stove is so incredibly easy to make, light, and use, there really isn't much excuse for using anything else.
- the Bud "Cottle" stove, a knock-off of the White Box stove.
- Klasslite has gotten to...
Completely agree. I played around with the penny stoves, the fancy multi wall stoves, etc and have ended up very happily with the the CatStove (I made the traditional FF one and a larger one made out of a container for oxygen sensors that's 2x the capacity at the same height - works best with my kettle), and something close to the "Cottle", which is basically a Venom stove.

NXP

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:56 pm

I think this is just what I need. Thanks!!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Woods Walker
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:48 am

northernxposure wrote:
Festus Hagen wrote:I experimented with a bunch of alcohol stove designs (only a small fraction of what is out there, but a bunch!)

- The "Cat Can" stove is so incredibly easy to make, light, and use, there really isn't much excuse for using anything else.
- the Bud "Cottle" stove, a knock-off of the White Box stove.
- Klasslite has gotten to...
Completely agree. I played around with the penny stoves, the fancy multi wall stoves, etc and have ended up very happily with the the CatStove (I made the traditional FF one and a larger one made out of a container for oxygen sensors that's 2x the capacity at the same height - works best with my kettle), and something close to the "Cottle", which is basically a Venom stove.

NXP
I prefer the multi walled aka "fancy" type stove but nothing wrong with the cat.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Bedsit Bob

Post by Bedsit Bob » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Woods Walker wrote:I prefer the multi walled aka "fancy" type stove
Me too.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

I've never even tried a CatStove - I've seen them, read about them, watched a friend fry eggs with his and a small teflon skillet... but never made and used one myself. Might as well, I have a small stock of the cans.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:28 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:I've never even tried a CatStove - I've seen them, read about them, watched a friend fry eggs with his and a small teflon skillet... but never made and used one myself. Might as well, I have a small stock of the cans.
Same here. I plan on making one tonight. My cat approves. He usually gets dry food and really enjoyed the Fancy Feast treat.

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:53 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:I've never even tried a CatStove - I've seen them, read about them, watched a friend fry eggs with his and a small teflon skillet... but never made and used one myself. Might as well, I have a small stock of the cans.
Do it. While I feel there is no truly "best stove" (different horses for different courses), the Fancy Feast has the following going for it:

1. It would take me longer to find my hole punch than to make the stove. I'm not too organized, but I'm saying it's an easy project :)
2. No moving/joined parts.
3. Lightest weight of any stove I have tried. Even the Klasslight is significantly more weight.
4. No pot stand required or even wanted.
5. Easy to light, quick priming (wastes little fuel)
6. Total construction cost, even if you have to buy a flexible ruler, sharpie, can of cat food, and hole punch, should be $5 or less. I had to buy a hole punch which cost about $2 and a can of cat food which was around $.59.
7. Make two of them, and even if you need more burn time than one FF stove can manage, you can simply fill and light the second stove as the first one starts showing signs of going out and transfer your pot, back and forth between stoves ad nauseum if need be.
8. I don't know that it's the fastest or most efficient alcohol stove to boil 2 cups of water with, but it IS fast and efficient. I think the "jet" effect of the relatively higher "pressure" stoves is overblown (just IMO).
9. If you want to use it in winter, just find some fiberglass string and wrap/tie it around the base of the stove as a wick. Spill a little fuel on the wick when fueling up and it will light right up even well below zero.

Don't get me wrong, double-wall stoves like the White Box and it's knockoffs, and other designs are hella cool. I've always admired Tinny's Bios and Atomic designs over at Minibulldesign.com. If I'd just lose a few pounds I could probably stand on my White Box knockoff, if I tried that with my Fancy Feast I'd have a flat useless piece of metal. That is still my go-to stove for car camping when I'm looking to use an alcohol stove, or canoe/kayak camping, and it works great in winter. Some of these stoves will burn a lot longer and/or have simmer rings which are handy if you're doing more than boiling water for cocoa or Mtn House. Still, the Fancy Feast stove is genius in it's simplicity and effectiveness. I know "I prefer" and "Me too" are pretty hard data points to argue with :rofl: but definitely give the Fancy Feast a try.

Bedsit Bob

Post by Bedsit Bob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Just remember not to light the stove in the boat, because you can't have your kayak and heat it. :lol:

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:28 am

First attempt at making the SuperCat was a fail. The hole punch caused a tear in the wall of the can. I'll try again using a drill and a little more caution. Here, kitty, kitty, got another Fancy Feast for ya. :D

111t

Post by 111t » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:36 am

Have any of you guys switched to carbon felt as a windscreen?
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

Return to “Bug Out Gear”