Woods Walker’s entry in the Mini Bob contest. 56k warning

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Woods Walker’s entry in the Mini Bob contest. 56k warning

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 pm

Woods Walker’s entry in the Mini Bob contest.

Here is a list of my contents and weights. The mini BOB came in at exactly 5 lbs 8 oz. I used a postal digital scale. This scale will sometimes round up a tenth but it very very accurate. Here is a photo of the mini BOB.

The main bag is a home made Go-bag. Sil nylon body and gym bag strap. 3.4 oz

I included a red stuff sack so my critical gear will be easy to find after the bag is taken out of the mini BOB. 0.7 oz. This makes the bag more water proof for critical gear and a small bag is always good for forage and water storage etc.

A. Medical kit. It is a mini BOB but I still wanted a semi good medical kit.

First Aid total 5.4oz

1. 6 Qtips
2. 1 ½ x2.5 yards tape
3. 3 3x3 sterile gauze pads
4. 5 Wound Closures Strips
5. 6 1’x3 Adhesive strips
6. 2 knuckle bandage
7. 6 Ibuprofen
8. 2 Antihistamine
9. 2 Antibiotic Ointment
10. 1 Povidone-iodine Ointment
11. 2 Sting Relief pads
12. 9. Antiseptic Towelettes
13. Ticture of Benzoin
14. 1 Splinter Grabber
15. 2 Safety pins
16. 1 eye pad
17. 1 2x2 Gauze pad
18. 1 small Butterfly wound closures/one large
19. 1 2x4 Adhesive bandage
20. 1 5x9 Abdominal pad
21. 1 medicated Chapstick
22. 10 assorted Adhesive bandages
23. ½ oz Four paws VBS antiseptic Quick Blood Stopper
24. Imodium AD 6 tablets

B. Light. The Aurora will give about 100 hours of usable light per set of batteries. I have two sets. The Web site says the light works 160 hours on low but I don’t know what they call usable light. In reality it is 100 hours.

1. Princeton Aurora Headlight including batteries. 2.8 oz
2. Small key LED light. 0.2 oz
3. Extra three AAA batteries. 1.2 oz

C. knives

1. Swiss army knife. This is one of their smaller models but it has all the stuff I use and none of the worthless junk than is never used by anyone. 2.1 oz
2. Gerber 600 larger Folder 4 oz

D. Fishing Gear.

1. Drop line system. It has 30 yards of 6 lb test and 15 feet of near unbreakable Kevlar Line. The Kevlar line is for snagging fish and it makes some good snares. A drop line works by tossing the line out and winding it back to reel in. If I find a can or bottle during the hypothetical bug out I will make a toss line system aka BOB canteen fishing system. Total for drop line and tackle box is 1.5 oz

2 . Pill box Tackle kit. I like using small pill boxes to hold small gear like fishing hooks etc. They are made to be resistant to opening if dropped and sliding on flat surfaces. I have some small sinkers, a silver lure and assorted sized hooks including a treble hook for snagging and sizes down to #14. Why such a small hook? Most streams or small ponds have tinny dace or minnows. Being lower on the food chain their numbers are much greater than bass or trout. The only way to catch such tinny fish is with a fish trap or very small hook. It takes a good number for a meal but their numbers tend to be great

E. Sanitation needs. Total 4.6oz

1. Travel sized tooth brush
2. Travel sized shampoo
3. Travel sized dental floss
4. 2 packets of MRE T.P
5. 2 MRE hand wipes
6. Travel sized toothpaste

F. Bug protection.

1. 100% Deet replant small pack size. 1.2 oz
2. Cheap camo face net. Anyone that thinks these cheap face nets will provide any protection on their own against Mosquitoes when asleep is dead wrong. But spraying the face net with Deet makes it very effective. In fact it is far more effective than spraying the Deet directly on your face as it remains on the bug netting longer and you don’t have that crap in your eyes. 0.7 oz

I am going to post a photo of the next 4 items. No real point in making separate photos of items most people have seen.

G. Repair items

1. Mini roll of duct tape. 1.2 oz

H. Cordage.

1. 50 feet camo cord. I got this more for the holder that makes a good drop line. But the cord is ok. I guess anyone could include the fishing line and Kevlar Line in the cordage list too. 1.9 oz

I. Navigation. I don’t really need any maps etc but a small compass is always useful. So I packed a small compass/thermometer combo 0.5 oz

J. Signaling. I am not a big fan of signaling after all I want nothing to do with anyone if I bug out. But just on the off and more likely chance I am just plain old lost and need help I included a plastic signaling mirror. 0.6 oz. My headlight can flash for a night visual signal. I don’t care much for audio type signals. Maybe in a larger BOB but I was on the thin line for weight.

K. Shelter System/Rain gear combo. Here is what I have come up with. You don’t get to see a heated poncho tarp every day. Shelter is 1 lb 3.3 oz for Poncho, Bivy, 4 Ti stakes and Thermal Blanket.

1. A Golite Poncho tarp in sage green. Looks like a good natural color that will not stand out. 11.3 oz with stuff sack. I took 4 Ti tent stakes with my home made covers to protect the rest of my gear from the sharp ends. Just use fish tank air tubing. 1.6 oz
2. DWR Bivy/Bag liner. I can fill it up with grass etc for a sleeping pad and not worry so much about getting damp. Or if I could make a grass bed and fill the bivy with leaves or grass to make a blanket. If the bugs are heavy I can crawl into the bivy and put my Deet covered face net on. I have had to do this in Maine. It worked but there must have been a million mosquitoes so they kept me up anyways with the buzzing however I would have been sucked dry. No joke. 4.4 oz with stuff sack. Emergency thermal blanket. 1.9 oz.

L. Stove system.

Stove assembled:

1. Freezing to death is what scares me. I like to have a fire even in rain or snow without getting wet. Yea this is a mini BOB and could be only used until I reach the main BOB but I am not going to any f@cking convention center in a bug out and have no plains on dying of exposure if lost so I wanted a warmer shelter. The stove is made out of Ti foil and the pipe is made out of Stainless Foil. Everything is held together by Stainless wire. The heat output is totally insane. The stove body is about 12 inches long by 8 wide. I have an inline spark screen and a Ti damper. Total weight for Stove, 4-foot pipe, Wire rings, Ti Damper and spark arrestor is only 1 lb 10.7 oz plus the stove has an extra sil stuff sack that could be used for something else.

How does it all come together? I set up the Poncho as an A frame with the long length as the A frame’s width. This way I could lower the A frame to the ground and have room to sit up if the outside temp is very cold. I would need to sleep at an angle but could still stretch. In the photos I raised the A frame up some as the weather is warm. If there was lots of snow I would kick snow around the side and pile snow and brush to block one end. The stove would then be fired up. During cold nights a stove under a tarp will take the chill out of the air and dry a person off even in snow or rain. All I need do is tie the poncho’s head section closed to fully water proof the shelter.

Some may question a wood stove with a 10 oz fire box. Does it hold fire or am I just pulling your leg?

Fire shooting out of the pipe is cool but hard to photo.

M. Fire starters.

1. 3 packs of MRE matches. 0.3 oz
2. Bic lighter sealed 0.8 oz
3. 25 cotton balls soaked in Vaseline w/ zip lock bag. 3.5 oz
4. Small Magnesium fire block with flint and striker. I am really more interested in the flint and sparker to ignite the cotton balls when the lighter fails.

N. Water purification and storage.

1. Frontier Emergency Water Filter system. Will filter up to 20 gallons 0.8 oz. Just in case I need to drink and run.
2. Potable Aqua Tabs. Not the best tasting tabs and I didn’t have the room for the neutralizer tabs but heck better than nothing and I could always used charcoal to sweeten the water. 1.2 oz
3. Platypus Water 80 oz water bag. 1.2 oz

O. Cook pot.

1. Ti bowl 1.8 oz. It is large and works well for about everything.
2. MRE Spoon. Why not for only 0.2 oz

Some things I may have forgotten about as I tried to keep it all organized as I took the photos etc. Other things I just didn’t add like food. I know what some people may think but the reality is that no one has ever starved to death in a few days but lots of people have died of exposure in a shorter time than even that. What could I pack in a 5 and ½ lb BOB? Lunch? That is not going to make a tinny bit of difference. However in cold weather having the stove will help me save more calories than its weight in food. Not saying food is no good to pack but for this mini BOB I think the gear is more valuable. I carry my wallet and cell phone 100% of the time as the cell phone is my only phone and the law makes me carry ID when driving. I have about 50 bucks in emergency cash. Anyone can use any idea I have to beat me. Here is one Item that I didn’t add to the BOB but there is a VERY good chance it will make its way into the thing after the contest. My NAA 5 shot .22 mag revolver. It is only 6.2 oz and the ammo is about 9 rounds to the oz give or take one. The gun may look like a joke but nothing funny about a CCI .22WMR HP Maxi Mag + V doing over 1000 fps at a range of 8 feet.

I may edit this if I find grammar or spelling issue or discover Items that are inside my mini BOB but somehow got overlooked. Any changes will be explained if major aka missing items.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:02 am

Your mini BOB kicks my main BOB's ass. :oops: Thats a really cool set up and I'm amazed by how much you managed to squeeze into the weight. That stove is damn cool too. Wonder if I can build one...
Do you have a problem with water running along the underside of the rope you use for the A-frame basha in the rain though? If you tie two little bits of paracord on each side and let the loose end dangle it should wick the water away and let it drop outside your shelter instead of on you.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:13 pm

Nice work! I am going to use the pill box for my hooks now. Good Idea. All your gear is well thought out. I will have to look at it some more to see what other ideas I can steal. :wink:
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:46 pm

I really like that stove. Can we get more info on that, please?

Vindex

Post by Vindex » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm wondering how small that golite poncho tarp packs up.

Post by 66606 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Thats going to be a tough one to beat, and that stove...wow... where did you get it ?

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:15 pm

I like the pistol. You are right, that little thing is bad ass at 8ft. While I have not tried the vasaline on cotton ball I have used candle wax on them. Worked great for me. Besides, I hate it when my chap stick melts into my gear. I always have a few tubes floating around. The wind in the NV mountains can be brutal.

I could ask "Why don't you have..." but you answered that when you said, "My main BOB". All in all I really like it. Do you have a link to where we could get one of those trick stoves?
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:23 pm

Cymro wrote:I really like that stove. Can we get more info on that, please?

+1
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:38 pm

And the Winner is....

Plans on that stove would be much appreciated.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:42 pm

Brash.

I use that trick all the time to keep water running down my ropes. Good advice for anyone reading this MB.

Cymro/66606/KaceCoyote.

The stove is a prototype of a model that is being sold by Ti Goat. He sent it to me for free to test it. I like the stove and it roles down to nothing but for my main BOB I use another stove. It works well and rolls up tinny. I will do a run down on the stove next week. I felt the need for it even with a mini BOB as I wanted to cover winter cold and Ice storms etc if I Had to sleep out of a day or so getting to my main BOB or some other shelter if my truck breaks down or trapped in lake effect snow on my trips to upstate NY

Dak Kovar.

Try the cotton ball w/ Vaseline trick. Works good chapped lips too. Just pull the ball apart and use a spark or lighter. Burns for about 5 minutes and is resistant to water.

Edit.

The Golite poncho/tarp packs down small. It is the larger black thing in the photo of the shelter pre setup. The DWR Bivy is in the green stuff sack right next to it. The Ti tent stakes are 6 inches long for scale.

IrideLLAMAS

Post by IrideLLAMAS » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:11 am

WW

Have you ever posted your main BOB with photos? I did a quick search and didn't see it. Now that is the pack that I would love to see.
A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45

My Survival Pack

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:42 am

Wow, that stove setup is killer!

Very nice WW!
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:08 am

IrideLLAMAS

I am re doing the pack to work with my new EMR. I will do a report when done. I am looking over gunny's Med kit and other things from this MB to make my stuff even better.

klenzer.

I was looking for a place to sleep until I get to the main BOB or some kinda reasonable safe location and that does not include any f@cking convention centers short of FEMA cots. The stoves are better than a normal fire as I can burn it and stay dry in most weather. Plus they all use no more than a 5-gallon bucket of wood a night so I don't need to spend all night looking for wood if I get snowed in. I guess it would not be needed in Florida etc but here in New England I get some nasty weather. Darn freezing rain is worse than 20 below. Been out in both and the freezing rain is far more dangerous. Something people that run between their car and work/home would not suspect.

Glockmeister

Post by Glockmeister » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:19 pm

Wow Woods,...Your mini bag is,...well,...AWESOME! :!: :!:
Glockmeister

Molon Labe!

misanthropist

Post by misanthropist » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:09 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Darn freezing rain is worse than 20 below. Been out in both and the freezing rain is far more dangerous. Something people that run between their car and work/home would not suspect.
Very true...we got freezing rain regularly when I lived in Montreal and it was really, really nasty. Cold, dry weather is a breeze! You just need more insulating layers. Freezing rain is awful...soaks in and then freezes everything. Vital to stay dry, makes fire difficult...miserable. But winter camping in any very low temperature can be pretty comfortable.
DocGKR wrote:.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

BHP

Post by BHP » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:54 pm

Woods Walker, I don't want to drag you of on a tangent but I was wondering if you pack sprouting seeds with your gear. I understand your position that no one here will starve to death in just a few days and I agree but only a few ounces of seeds can be made into a few pounds of food in just 2-4 days. Some people will tend to panic when under stress and food is a big comfort item for many, this comfort can allow many to think more rationally and can lead to more logic driven activity.

Outstanding work by the way, I love your thinking and I am interested in the stove. I look forward to hearing about your main BOB.

IrideLLAMAS

Post by IrideLLAMAS » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:12 pm

I am no gardener, but what grows from seed to harvestable food in 2-4 days. Maybe wheat grass or something weird that I am not thinking about. Let me know.

My Survival Pack

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:23 pm

IrideLLAMAS

Bean sprouts?

misanthropist

The ice storm is a killer. I enjoy the way it makes Gortex into a frozen wet mess. Or maybe the way it turns branches/trees into deadfall. The stove really helps me dry out and the heat melts the ice off my shelters. I tend to hunker down until it is over. With out any gear I suspect that most people would parish in a night. Getting lost or forced to Bug out into that mess would be bad news.

BHP.

"Some people will tend to panic when under stress and food is a big comfort item for many"

With this mini BOB I am looking to move fast and find real shelter or my main BOB. I don't have time to grow any food. On the issue of panic I have been under some real bad stress before in the cold. Didn't panic then but you never know. I found that the best way to deal with stress is to set out doing small tasks with an over all goal of staying alive. One problem at a time. Don't worry about the whole scary situation or it will overwhelm you. Just do one task then move on to the next. This way your mind is occupied with the matter at hand and there is no time for panic. Fire tends to have a claiming effect on humans so start a fire at night even if you don’t need the heat. Not everyone is going to be lost in the woods but I bet most cars would be abandoned on the shut down Highway and in the case of Katrina lots of people got forced out of their homes and had to sleep out in the elements for weeks as the towns got closed off. The one item the Red Cross asked for over and over again was camping gear.

BHP

Post by BHP » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:03 am

Like I said, I didn't want to distract from the thread you had started I was just thinking of a way to provide a good bit of food with very little weight. I figured, from reading some of your stuff here, that you had enough experience to be focused (if not comfortable) during times of stress but most people would need some comfort items and food is high on the list.

IrideLLAMAS, sprouting seeds can be consumed in as little as 2 days and can be kept (unrefridgerated) for a few days past that. I used to grow them in my rucksack to supplement the MREs we were issued. With 2-3 nalgene bottles I could always have a crop ready for eating. Sprouts are very nutritious and usually have about 4x the vitamins and nutrients of the mature plants. Just by soaking and rinsing daily you can create high quality food. It is good stuff and I have often eaten sprouts in the field. I know the health benifits should have me eating them more often but I only grow them every week or so while at home.

I have about a half pound of mixed sprouting seeds and 2 larger nalgene bottles in my BOB for this reason.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:27 pm

BHP.

I will give it a try. I know that bean sprouts grow fast but I didn't know that fast. Looks like I learned something new. :D

spartan

Post by spartan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:59 pm

I have used a flint striker with vasaline covered cotton balls on several occasions. The trick to using them is to tear them open to expose the dry cotton on the inside. You want to catch your sparks in there and then it will go up nicely.

A triple sized cotton ball with a good slathering of vaseline will burn for 4-5 minutes.

Edit:

And I also have to say the mini-bob is very very nice. And I agree with the others, the stove is amazing. Any ideas what the street price for this would be? And could we do a group buy?
Official ZSC-002 Brass Magnet

IrideLLAMAS

Post by IrideLLAMAS » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:13 am

I have more questions on bean sprouts but I don't want to steal the thread so I started it under Eats & Drinks.

My Survival Pack

Return to “Bug Out Gear”