New Columbia waterproof boots...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

New Columbia waterproof boots...

Post by moab » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:21 pm

These look like a jump in tech. Im wondering how they might perform in the PNW?

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-hyper-b ... 9Om27C3zVY
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Zed Hunter

Re: New Columbia waterproof boots...

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:42 pm

I prefer Korkers snowmageddon boots.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:02 pm

I don't see anything that is really new there; they don't say how they go about waterproofing them though so likely just a traditional membrane. TPU overlays are very common in shoe uppers as is insulation. The reflective lining more common in foam lined arctic work boots (think oil field workers in north dakota) but I don't think it does a whole lot; something like 5% of body heat leaves via radiation. I think they are just using a lot of $3 marketing words to try to make it all sound like new stuff when it's more of the same.

For wet cold my new favorite shoe is the baffin boreallis; TPU outer with a foam liner that is pretty much immune to the inevitable moisture buildup, and also has its own sole so it can be used by itself as a camp shoe (I've slept in mine a few times). Since the liners are foam they dry much faster than a traditional wool liner or thinsulate trapped in a one-piece boot. More than once I've pulled the liners out soaking wet but so warm they steam on their own.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:43 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:02 pm
I don't see anything that is really new there; they don't say how they go about waterproofing them though so likely just a traditional membrane. TPU overlays are very common in shoe uppers as is insulation. The reflective lining more common in foam lined arctic work boots (think oil field workers in north dakota) but I don't think it does a whole lot; something like 5% of body heat leaves via radiation. I think they are just using a lot of $3 marketing words to try to make it all sound like new stuff when it's more of the same.

For wet cold my new favorite shoe is the baffin boreallis; TPU outer with a foam liner that is pretty much immune to the inevitable moisture buildup, and also has its own sole so it can be used by itself as a camp shoe (I've slept in mine a few times). Since the liners are foam they dry much faster than a traditional wool liner or thinsulate trapped in a one-piece boot. More than once I've pulled the liners out soaking wet but so warm they steam on their own.
Those look pretty incredible for the PNW.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:21 pm

TO: Klaus, Santa
CC: Klaus, Santa, Mrs.

SUBJECT: Xmas

Good-lookin' boots. Nice. I. Like. Them.

Merrry Christams,

MPMalloy

Return to “Bug Out Gear”