Good deal on 1/4 merino wool socks?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Good deal on 1/4 merino wool socks?

Post by moab » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Looking for some more wool socks. Merino wool, 1/4, normal to thick and in size xl 12-13.

I bought a bunch of better Goodhew wool socks a few years ago. But they are all to small by about one size. Been looking at darn tough. But concerned about thickness. The ones ive got are pretty thick.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

eugene

Re: Good deal on 1/4 merino wool socks?

Post by eugene » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Wigwam seem to have discontinued their mid weight and only has light weight now.
I recently found these https://smile.amazon.com/s?me=A2JB1TK7Y ... PDKIKX0DER
they seem pretty good.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:50 pm

eugene wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:07 pm
Wigwam seem to have discontinued their mid weight and only has light weight now.
they seem pretty good.
$5 cheaper on their website. Thanks for this. Just bought 4 pair.

https://www.echogorge.com/
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:30 pm

I bought three pair of the summer weight Darn Tough boot socks from rangerjoes.com about three years ago that are AR 670-1 compliant. I think that they cost $22 per pair back then. They are not too thick for me and I love them. I wish I had two more pair but I have a hard time justifying $50 for socks at this point. I say if in doubt get Darn Tough.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:29 pm

eugene wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:07 pm
they seem pretty good.
I bought several pair off your link. Im very happy with the larger size i got. These are perfect for most weather conditions. But the Goodhews are thicker and warmer. I dont remember what thickness they were. But i cant find a super thick 1/4 sock anyway.

I also bought Merrell cheapest 1/4 mid thick sock. Same rating as the ones you link. But they are warmer. If i had to buy again I'd probably try to find a thicker 1/4 or just go with the Goodhews again. Im sure darntough has some nice ones. But i just cant see spending that much money on socks. For spring, summer, fall the merrels are probably the best deal.

eugene

Post by eugene » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:45 pm

Yeah, the like I posted are a mid weight, not a thick/heavy weight. Wigman still has the light thin weight last I looked.

For cold weather I'd want longer than 1/4 length anyway.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:21 am

eugene wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:45 pm
Yeah, the like I posted are a mid weight, not a thick/heavy weight. Wigman still has the light thin weight last I looked.

For cold weather I'd want longer than 1/4 length anyway.
Your right. Id want heavy weight longer socks too.

Some of these 1/4s say mid weight. But are very different. The merrels are the thinnest and the warmest in mid. Which is weird. I actually think my goodhews are heavy. But to small. I should always order a size up. Cause i have a high arches. The echogorge are some place in the middle. Great socks. I just think the merrels are a tiny bit better for the money.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”