Panel kits for 30/50cal ammo cans

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

taipan821

Panel kits for 30/50cal ammo cans

Post by taipan821 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:57 pm

Hello all

I have a project sitting on my desk and I was thinking, this would be a great opportunity to use some ammo cans and make it durable and portable.

The only issue is I am in no way skilled enough to build a panel for them, I was wondering if something exists commercially, or if anyone could give me a hand/advice.

Projects include
- Power pack
- HF radio
- amplifier
- tuner
- other things when I get bored again
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

Psycosis

Re: Panel kits for 30/50cal ammo cans

Post by Psycosis » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:51 pm

Are you talking about mounting that stuff inside the ammo cans?

If so do you want to operate the electronics without having to open up the cans?

Dimensions?

Your post is pretty vague, maybe more details on what exactly you're looking to do would help more.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:29 am

Yes, Ideally I would like to maintain the ammo can integrity, waterproof and airtight properties, but the open the lid and have a panel which contains the user interface, then keep the workings out of site.

Similar to the panel kits you see for pelican cases.

Psycosis

Post by Psycosis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:10 am

Okay I think I know what you're going for. Again the lack of dimensions is making this hard but it looks like most of the items you listed will be 1 per ammo can, maybe 2 tops for smaller items. I don't think you'll have much luck on premade panels, what you're talking about is panels for specific cases for specific electronics.

IF you want to mount the electronics upright and open up the can to adjustment buttons/dials that would be far easier and more realistic way to get what you want.

Cheap down and dirty way, get thick upholstery foam for cushions/couch seats and cut out corner or side pieces for shock/impact resistance. Similar to padded gun cases but you'll need the gaps top/bottom/sides for air flow to cool electronics. Run your connectors to the top and secure them to the side of equipment, zip ties maybe.

The integrity of the ammo cans is maintained and most you'll need is a utility knife and maybe a few zip ties.

Places like Joann Fabrics sell the foam.

https://www.joann.com/soft-support-foam ... t=73&sz=72

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:17 am

InstaMorph? Make a flat sheet of the stuff with a rolling pin, then use the ammo can (lid open) like a cookie cutter to get the right sized panel? Trim and sand, then drill holes for the controls.

I have a bag but never tried using it, there's some tricks and tips in the review comments.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:24 am

https://www.qsradio.com/phone/shop-now.html

It sounds to me like you might want a "hammo can." But I think the electronics are exposed. I think there are similar products with fully enclosed facads (sp?) to plug electronics into.

Here is the other one I was thinking of. I think they are more up your alley.

https://www.portableuniversalpower.com/
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 am

CrossCut wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:17 am
InstaMorph? Make a flat sheet of the stuff with a rolling pin, then use the ammo can (lid open) like a cookie cutter to get the right sized panel? Trim and sand, then drill holes for the controls.

I have a bag but never tried using it, there's some tricks and tips in the review comments.
With such a low melting temp it might be problematic using and transporting anything made with it in the summertime. Summer sun can easily raise the interior of a vehicle to that 150 degree temp. Heck the electronics he's considering these cases for can get pretty close to that temp, which will likely cause sagging and other issues.

My suggestion would be thin plywood sheets from a hobby shop supported by dowels glued inside the can corners. Use a good epoxy such as PC-7 or JB Weld and they'll never come out. Drill into the end deep enough to accommodate wood screws without splitting and you have a nice, solidly mounted panel that can be easily worked with to mount controls, etc. If cooling vents are needed they can be easily cut in and screened, or made with drilled holes.

Alternatively, cut two panels and connect them with the dowels and now you have a unit that will just slip right into an ammo can and can easily be removed when needed. Mount the guts of the electronics to the bottom panel and the controls, etc. to the top one. If you want to get fancy, a thin sheet of steel or aluminum can be glued to the top panel to give a metal surface for paint, powder coating or etching. If he wants to get really, really fancy laser engraving is a possibility.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:58 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 am
CrossCut wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:17 am

With such a low melting temp it might be problematic using and transporting anything made with it in the summertime. Summer sun can easily raise the interior of a vehicle to that 150 degree temp. Heck the electronics he's considering these cases for can get pretty close to that temp, which will likely cause sagging and other issues.

My suggestion would be thin plywood sheets from a hobby shop supported by dowels glued inside the can corners. Use a good epoxy such as PC-7 or JB Weld and they'll never come out. Drill into the end deep enough to accommodate wood screws without splitting and you have a nice, solidly mounted panel that can be easily worked with to mount controls, etc. If cooling vents are needed they can be easily cut in and screened, or made with drilled holes.

Alternatively, cut two panels and connect them with the dowels and now you have a unit that will just slip right into an ammo can and can easily be removed when needed. Mount the guts of the electronics to the bottom panel and the controls, etc. to the top one. If you want to get fancy, a thin sheet of steel or aluminum can be glued to the top panel to give a metal surface for paint, powder coating or etching. If he wants to get really, really fancy laser engraving is a possibility.
I've been wanting to make something and I've been too cheap to buy the stuff from the links I posted. This is an excellent post which will fit my needs and budget!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:15 pm

These are all good ideas

1. The instamorph stuff, might not be good as a finished product, but to use it as a template for a more suitable material would work.

2. I am extremely jealous of the products offered by hardened power systems, especiy the juicebox, if only they offered a different inverter, I'll be emailing them about that.

3. The slide out module idea is a good one, and it will be the idea I will most likely pursue, it allows me to set everything up, but doesn't require fixing to the ammo box.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”