Run for your life!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ultra1974

Run for your life!

Post by Ultra1974 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am

In the past few years, I have run a few ultra-marathons through roads and wilderness. In my training when doing long runs of 20+ miles, there's been a plethora of times I have gotten lost deep in the woods. It dawned on me that I could apply some of the things I learned to take with me possible suggestions for bug out gear here. A few things I don't typically see listed are:
1. Chicken bullion cubes: These tasty little boogers not only satiate hunger but provide essential sodium in the event that your electrolytes get off-kilter.
2. Petroleum Jelly:If you ever bug out on foot and expect to go over 20 miles in one day vaseline is a MUST. Slather a little of this stuff on your feet and you will not get blisters. The petroleum jelly prevents moisture from getting to your skin and causing blisters.
3. ANYTHING BUT COTTON!!Along with the vaseline, you want to prevent moisture. Cotton clothing loves moisture. Pack some moisture-wicking clothing. On a hot and humid summer day if you're wearing cotton and must travel many miles, you are almost guaranteed chaffing, rashes, and if you're really unlucky bloody nipples.

That's all that comes to mind that I haven't seen in here before. I may add more and in the meantime does this group have any other ultra runners that have items we should all add to our BOB?

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Re: Run for your life!

Post by Lettuce Pray » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:51 am

Ultra1974 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am
In the past few years, I have run a few ultra-marathons through roads and wilderness. In my training when doing long runs of 20+ miles, there's been a plethora of times I have gotten lost deep in the woods. It dawned on me that I could apply some of the things I learned to take with me possible suggestions for bug out gear here. A few things I don't typically see listed are:
1. Chicken bullion cubes: These tasty little boogers not only satiate hunger but provide essential sodium in the event that your electrolytes get off-kilter.
2. Petroleum Jelly:If you ever bug out on foot and expect to go over 20 miles in one day vaseline is a MUST. Slather a little of this stuff on your feet and you will not get blisters. The petroleum jelly prevents moisture from getting to your skin and causing blisters.
3. ANYTHING BUT COTTON!!Along with the vaseline, you want to prevent moisture. Cotton clothing loves moisture. Pack some moisture-wicking clothing. On a hot and humid summer day if you're wearing cotton and must travel many miles, you are almost guaranteed chaffing, rashes, and if you're really unlucky bloody nipples.

That's all that comes to mind that I haven't seen in here before. I may add more and in the meantime does this group have any other ultra runners that have items we should all add to our BOB?
+1 on the foot care. For that matter, chaffing prevention does not get mentioned much either. It can be debilitating or at least drastically slow a movement.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:16 am

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:51 am
Ultra1974 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am

+1 on the foot care. For that matter, chaffing prevention does not get mentioned much either. It can be debilitating or at least drastically slow a movement.
Oh yeah!

moab

Post by moab » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:01 pm

I use vaseline for so much. As chapstick, to light fires, etc. etc. And now feet. I had not heard of that. But I had heard of Andrew Skurka's foot balm he sells. Similar principle. He's what you would consider an ultra hiker. He traverses Alaska on foot. That type of thing.

Those bullion cubes have been mentioned. But not with an endorsement like yours. And the added electrolytes issue. Very good post.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

tom q vaxy

Post by tom q vaxy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:31 pm

the local fishermen use some kind of spray deodorant on their feet to keep them "dry". hazard of having to wear rubber boots all day I recon.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”