Woods Walker in Memorium

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Canadian Guy

Woods Walker in Memorium

Post by Canadian Guy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:52 pm

Long time ZS member and Moderator "Woods Walker" Kevin Renkavinsky passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on January 8th, 2020. He was reported to have been out hiking (as always!) and had returned to a family members house where he collapsed and died from what is believed to be a cardiac event.

Forum member Andy in NH created this tribute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2l4ljG6XB0

From the Connecticut Post on Jan. 13, 2020:
Kevin J. Renkavinsky, age 50 of Trumbull, passed away suddenly, Wednesday, January 8, 2020 in St Vincent's Medical Center. Kevin was born in Bridgeport, devoted son of Mildred Renkavinsky and the late Louis Renkavinsky III and was a lifelong area resident. He is a graduate of Masuk High School and received his bachelor's degree in Business Administration from Sacred Heart University. Kevin was a self employed videographer and a member of the Masonic Lodge Corinthians No 104. Also known as "MegaWoodswalker" by his many devoted youtube channel followers. Kevin was a passionate outdoor enthusiast. He was skilled in deep woods survival camping and backcountry trekking. He had an extreme love for nature. Above all Kevin's first love was his family and friends. Survivors, in addition to his mother include his sister Wendy L. Renkavinsky, beloved nephew Brayden L. Renkavinsky, uncle Richard Renkavinsky, uncle John Nevelus, aunt Betty Nevelus and a cousin Aron Renkavinsky. Friends may call Wednesday at 9:30 a.m., in the Redgate - Hennessy Funeral Home, Main Street and Gorham Place, Trumbull. A Masonic Ritual will be conducted at 10:00 a.m., Words of Remembrance will be offered at 10:30 a.m., and a Prayer Service at 11:00 a.m. Interment will follow in St John's Cemetery, Monroe. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the American Heart Association, 5 Brookside Drive, Wallingford, CT 06492. To send online condolences please visit www.redgatehennessy.com
Last edited by Canadian Guy on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Woods Walker in memorium

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 pm

Ah, fuck. Seriously?

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:04 pm

Wow.

Woods was one of the nicest guys here. He was always so friendly and willing to share his knowledge.

RIP Woods. May you hike on forever.
Man is a beast of prey

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Oh man....

Rest in Peace buddy....

It's odd to think how much he affected so many of us "strangers" on this internet. I'll never forget him even though I never met him.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 pm

Wow. I'm stunned and saddened. One of the greats on this forum. He will be missed, and he will be remembered.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:29 pm

His posts are mainstays. We need to keep them (& the pics) in perpetuity.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:32 am

His posts will be preserved as best as we are able. The pictures might be difficult to do since they aren't hosted here but the text will be saved and plans are currently in the works to try and gather all that we can into a special section of the forums that will likely be named the "MegaWoodWalker Memorial Library".

Some of this though requires access above my pay grade so messages have been sent to the admins requesting assistance.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 am

Woods Walker's vast amount of thoughtful, useful, and accurate information that he regularly posted is one of the reasons I kept coming back to this site as a guest early on. I finally told my wife last week about the "sacred bacon". Of course, she loved the tag. We should all prepare some in memory as we are able.

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:49 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:32 am
His posts will be preserved as best as we are able. The pictures might be difficult to do since they aren't hosted here but the text will be saved and plans are currently in the works to try and gather all that we can into a special section of the forums that will likely be named the "MegaWoodWalker Memorial Library".

Some of this though requires access above my pay grade so messages have been sent to the admins requesting assistance.
Glad to know something is trying to be done to keep his memory and exhaustive knowledge around. He'll definitely be missed, which is probably the best any of us can ask for in the end.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:11 am

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:54 am

He seemed like one of those guys that's going to be around forever. I'm in shock this morning. I corresponded with him several times and was always impressed by his generosity yet humility when it came to sharing his knowledge and providing his perspectives. RIP, brother.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:49 am

I am at a loss for words here. This is a tremendous loss for us all. To the extent possible we will keep his posts and try and set up something as a memorial to honor his memory.

He will be missed.

I will keep WW/MWW and his family in my prayers.

"The woods are lovely dark and deep....but I have promises to keep...and miles to go before I sleep..."

Rest in Peace Woods. You are home.

A link to his obituary:
https://www.redgatehennessy.com/tribute ... enkavinsky

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 am

"Benedicto: May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells, past temples and castles and poets towers into a dark primeval forest where tigers belch and monkeys howl, through miasmal and mysterious swamps and down into a desert of red rock, blue mesas, domes and pinnacles and grottos of endless stone, and down again into a deep vast ancient unknown chasm where bars of sunlight blaze on profiled cliffs, where deer walk across the white sand beaches, where storms come and go as lightning clangs upon the high crags, where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you -- beyond that next turning of the canyon walls." ~ Cactus Ed

Very sorry to learn of his passing. He was one of the best things about the ZS forum.
Mostly not here anymore.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:34 am

He was the best of us and will be sorely missed. Happy trails, friend.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:25 pm

Wow, just popped in on a whim, haven't been around in nearly a year. Very sad news.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Re: Woods Walker in Memorium

Post by FlashDaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:29 pm

He was so inspiring to me personally. I tried a lot of different skills because he showed me how. I will miss his happy demeanor and easy explanations of how to survive.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Only 50 years young, and such a storied soul. Life is short.
WoodsWalker's videos, reviews and experiences were also a big part of the draw for me. The night hikes, snowy trails and yes, bacon (you could almost smell it cooking) or something tea...
Sad day, to hear he's passed. Blaze a trail for those of us still on the planet, friend.
Tony D

Andy in NH

Post by Andy in NH » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:25 pm

We are diminished.
Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.

I live vicariously through my own memories.

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:53 pm

I know posts can be saved as PDF's. But I don't know how to do it.

It is amazing how much a complete stranger can affect your life so much. He will be missed.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

dpayette

Post by dpayette » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 pm

Very sorry to hear this, I have enjoyed his photos and skills while off the beaten path. My prayers to his family and plenty of new trails for him to show us later.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:12 am

He was definitely one of the "strawberries" of life.

Prost!
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

echo83

Post by echo83 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:28 pm

I'm at a loss for words. This man was a treasure, and his contributions here are immeasurable. Rest in peace.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 pm

As much as we might think of Woods walker as our own. He was a member of several forums where he was equally revered. Hopefully before he passes the next bend in the trail he looks back and see's how much he was valued .
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:52 am

An exemplary member of our community, I am shocked and saddened by his loss.

My thoughts are with his family, I hope they are comforted by his great impact for good on the world.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Return to “Bug Out Gear”