Wood and water.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Wood and water.

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Last night was cold. Maybe 19. Always feels colder early season. Got the wood and water working like a dog till the last minute. The storm is here. What resources do you prep just before a storm. Naturally assuming a tree branch doesn’t kill me there will be pics and video.

flybynight

Re: Wood and water.

Post by flybynight » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Mostly I'm already fairly prepared for storms. For winter storms might bring more wood up to the house. For spring /summer storms batten down the hatches. Get vehicles under cover away from damaging hail. The only storms I go full tilt is impending ice storms. Fully fuel all vehicles, fill all gas cans. Usually will go get an extra truck load of fire wood. ready the generator, fill the bath tub. Make sure camp stove and propane bbq have fuel. Make sure ample easy to make meals in supply. Check or replenish drinking water. Ready water containers to refill bathtub. Check wood cutting equipment. I hate ice storms . it's the storm that keeps on giving ( a hard time )
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Ice pellets for maybe 8 hours. Will turn to snow soon then snow all day and night tomorrow. Should have enough wood. Might need more water tomorrow. Not sure.

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Crazy night. Ice pellets raining down hard. Felt like little BBS when taking a piss. Don’t ask. 😂 Got more water. Sawed up a dead standing witch hazel. Tree and shrub ID powers do help. Says it will snow till 9am but it seems like light. Have not seen the sun for some time.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Mega:

Where are you?

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Another night. Show is falling.

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:33 pm

I am on the AT.

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Snow picking up. Drinking cup of soup. Burning witch hazel and sycamore,

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:56 am

I'm rather glad to hear you are still alive and kicking! Thanks for the updates!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:55 pm

MegaWoodsWalker wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:33 pm
I am on the AT.
Southbound or just a few days hiking?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Just a 4 day camp to weather a storm. I am back. Going to update with pics and video. Also into the 100 dollar hot tent.

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Enough wood for days of bad weather.

Enough water.

The bad weather and $100 hot tent I will be posting about that soon.

Going to do an trip post as have not done a proper one in some time.

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:57 am

In situations like that, especially in a hot tent, I like dedicated fire starters. I used to make it a point of pride to get my stove going with found materials, but sometimes I’d wind up taking over an hour to even get something going. Nowadays I subscribe to the P for plenty methodology and think the extra ‘weight’ and bulk of fire starters is not only negligible (not sure how I let fire starter weight even come into consideration back in the day :crazy: ) but really getting it going right away lets me focus on ensuring the next days activities are starting off dry.
High Explosive, Dual Purpose.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:17 pm

Great pics, please have a safe trip
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:40 pm

RGR SNAPLINK wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:57 am
In situations like that, especially in a hot tent, I like dedicated fire starters. I used to make it a point of pride to get my stove going with found materials, but sometimes I’d wind up taking over an hour to even get something going. Nowadays I subscribe to the P for plenty methodology and think the extra ‘weight’ and bulk of fire starters is not only negligible (not sure how I let fire starter weight even come into consideration back in the day :crazy: ) but really getting it going right away lets me focus on ensuring the next days activities are starting off dry.
I use a bunch of dedicated firestarters for a hot tent. Here is my hot tent firekit. Bottom line is what you said. I can just push through wet conditions or use less processing/natural materials to get it going. I show some examples of this during field use in the video.

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:33 pm

A few weeks ago did a multi day hot tent outing. Bad weather was expected. My shelter system runs on wood, water and power. As I boil (though have backup tabs) wood and water are interchangeable. Before the multi day storm hit I got my ducks in a row. Though was able to get a bit of wood during short breaks in the weather it's easier before. I will let the pictures and video do the talking.

Owl.

I am not the only critter in these woods looking for wood.

Budget hot tent. Will post thread soon.

Wood stacked

No storm yet but it's starting.

Water.

A bit more wood.

Ice pellets and hard snow.

Anti spark system. Somehow I got a burn hole anyways. No bog deal. Fix took 3 minutes.

Bummer...

Fixed.

All ice pellets.

Another day and stormy weather still on.

Inside of tipi. I packed a Gortex bivy just incase as this was the second outing with the budget tipi. The bivy was nice to keep condensation off the bag.

When it starts to slush I use the GoPro or Iphone 11. My primary camera is either a Sony Alpha or AX-53. Neither is weather sealed.

Late lunch

Heavier snow.

MH eggs with cut up pepperoni.

Next day foraged chaga.

Got most of it.

breaking camp.

Long winded but viralish video. :clap: :awesome: :roll:

moab

Post by moab » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:17 pm

First off what pack is that? Looks awesome. A multicam rucksack?

Second, why didn't you choose a more sheltered spot? afraid of trees falling or branches? You look a little out in the open there.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:42 am

This appears to be MegaWoodsWalker's (mostly known as Wooswalker) last ZS forum post so I think it would be appropriate to post the terrible news that WoodsWalker had passed away January 8th, 2020 suddenly from what is believed to be a heart attack (TBC). He was reported to have been out hiking as always and had returned to a family members house where he collapsed and died. This is a terrible loss of a great man and I will post any further news as it becomes known.

Canadian Guy

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 am

WTF

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 am

This is terrible news and a immeasurable loss to this forum. No one member has contributed more prepping advice and lore on surviving in the wild.

ETA WoodsWalker's you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyiVQq ... bxknOQ5Ung

Andy in NH

Post by Andy in NH » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:39 pm

We are diminished.
RIP buddy.
Kevin J. Renkavinsky, age 50 of Trumbull, passed away suddenly, Wednesday, January 8, 2020 in St Vincent's Medical Center. Kevin was born in Bridgeport, devoted son of Mildred Renkavinsky and the late Louis Renkavinsky III and was a lifelong area resident. He is a graduate of Masuk High School and received his bachelor's degree in Business Administration from Sacred Heart University. Kevin was a self employed videographer and a member of the Masonic Lodge Corinthians No 104. Also known as "MegaWoodswalker" by his many devoted youtube channel followers. Kevin was a passionate outdoor enthusiast. He was skilled in deep woods survival camping and backcountry trekking. He had an extreme love for nature. Above all Kevin's first love was his family and friends. Survivors, in addition to his mother include his sister Wendy L. Renkavinsky, beloved nephew Brayden L. Renkavinsky, uncle Richard Renkavinsky, uncle John Nevelus, aunt Betty Nevelus and a cousin Aron Renkavinsky. Friends may call Wednesday at 9:30 a.m., in the Redgate - Hennessy Funeral Home, Main Street and Gorham Place, Trumbull. A Masonic Ritual will be conducted at 10:00 a.m., Words of Remembrance will be offered at 10:30 a.m., and a Prayer Service at 11:00 a.m. Interment will follow in St John's Cemetery, Monroe. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the American Heart Association, 5 Brookside Drive, Wallingford, CT 06492. To send online condolences please visit www.redgatehennessy.com
Link to memorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2l4ljG ... =emb_title.
Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.

I live vicariously through my own memories.

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:43 am

OMG! I'm so sad.

This is cool that you announced this on this thread. But I think it deserves it's own thread. Especially for those that won't open this thread up.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:28 pm

The Woods Walker memorial thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=123773

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:16 pm

Bump :!:

Return to “Bug Out Gear”