Where to get a flashlight repaired?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Where to get a flashlight repaired?

Post by moab » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:59 pm

I sent my Fenix E21 in to Fenix for repair. And there was apparently a tiny spot of battery corrosion. Which voided the lifetime warranty. Where else can I send it in to be fixed?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Re: Where to get a flashlight repaired?

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:30 pm

I'd maybe start with asking that question on their Facebook page. See if you can escalate in a more public place.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:45 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:30 pm
I'd maybe start with asking that question on their Facebook page. See if you can escalate in a more public place.
Was it the battery that came with the light?

moab

Post by moab » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:57 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:45 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Was it the battery that came with the light?
No. It's a very old flashlight. But I have two of them. And want to use them as backups for my family. I think it's just the bulb. But no clear way to get it out. And that's a huge assumption on my part. I know nothing about fixing modern flashlights. Just wondering if there is a flashlight repair place anywhere?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
I sent a msg to two of them. Can't tell which Fenix group is the real group.

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Name brand batteries? (That may have a warranty to replace the light?)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sh ... procedures
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:49 pm

wolf_from_wv wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm
Name brand batteries? (That may have a warranty to replace the light?)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sh ... procedures
Who knows?! The corrosion stain is so small it's barely there. And I've used all sorts of bats. Duracell and rechargeable Tenergy mostly. They could have fixed it. Kind of shitty on their part. No corrosion on anything that functions. It was on the inside of the battery tube. Maybe half a mm thick and about the size of a matchhead around.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 pm

I would publicly ask about the warranty. Basically, get out in public whether they will back their warranty or not.

And I would consider polishing off the corrosion stain.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:44 am

moab wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:59 pm
I sent my Fenix E21 in to Fenix for repair. And there was apparently a tiny spot of battery corrosion. Which voided the lifetime warranty. Where else can I send it in to be fixed?
Does that mean they won't fix it even if they have to charge you? Its either free under warranty or a chargeable repair usually. Unless the fee they want to repair is equal to the price of a new light. Or they can't get parts because of country of origin.

http://www.fenixlight.com/Service.aspx

This warranty is for lights purchased 2015 or later. You'd need to see the earlier warranty if your light was purchased before that. It may be that an earlier iteration of the warranty doesn't exclude 'battery leakage'.
Limited lifetime warranty: For lights past the free repair warranty period, we provide lifetime repairs but will charge for parts. The distributor will notify customer the cost of the part before repair.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

moab

Post by moab » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:13 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:44 am
moab wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:59 pm
Does that mean they won't fix it even if they have to charge you? Its either free under warranty or a chargeable repair usually. Unless the fee they want to repair is equal to the price of a new light. Or they can't get parts because of country of origin.

http://www.fenixlight.com/Service.aspx

This warranty is for lights purchased 2015 or later. You'd need to see the earlier warranty if your light was purchased before that. It may be that an earlier iteration of the warranty doesn't exclude 'battery leakage'.
Limited lifetime warranty: For lights past the free repair warranty period, we provide lifetime repairs but will charge for parts. The distributor will notify customer the cost of the part before repair.
That's what I was hoping. That they would just charge me. But all I got was a sticker saying it couldn't be repaired. I emailed them last night about paying to have it repaired.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:21 pm

I think the flashlight repair folks went to the same place as TV & VCR repair places. The labor to fix the device is more costly than new alternatives. Not trying to be a downer but that is the world today.

+1 on asking on Facebook and by email to fix it.

That said if it is a backup light and they will not fix it for free. You may just want to keep it to harvest parts for the other light.

I would note that for $17 you can buy minimag pros which are more than adequate for backups to give away to family members.
I hate to throw away expensive but old flash lights. That said at some point it makes more sense to buy a new light for $25 than spend $25 to fix an old one.

Good luck let us know what happens.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:29 am

Side note on batteries that I picked up getting watching "Project Farm" on YouTube....

Duracells have a reputation for leaking, and used to be my go-to.

But now I do Energizer or Rayovac exclusively.

And I run away from off branded batteries coz I've had so many leak in TV remotes and gadgets as that's all my parent's purchased when I was a youngin'
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:55 am

raptor wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:21 pm
I think the flashlight repair folks went to the same place as TV & VCR repair places. The labor to fix the device is more costly than new alternatives. Not trying to be a downer but that is the world today.

+1 on asking on Facebook and by email to fix it.

That said if it is a backup light and they will not fix it for free. You may just want to keep it to harvest parts for the other light.

I would note that for $17 you can buy minimag pros which are more adequate for backups to give away to family members.
I hate to throw away expensive but old flash lights. That said at some point it makes more sense to buy a new light for $25 than spend $25 to fix an old one.

Good luck let us know what happens.
I was going to guess something along this line as well...With the world's economy of scale dedicated to building newer and improved versions of things at a lower price point that yesterday ("harder, better, faster, stronger..."), oftentimes buying a completely new item that is objectively superior to the old one may actually cost less and result in less hassle on your end. That is not to say that on principle that you shouldn't try to fix it still - I abhor waste and inefficiency. "Reverse logistics" (new vocab word for me) is a rapidly scaling field as well, but it clearly hasn't had the kind of attention and scaling that regular logistics has had.

If it is truly non-functional now, then "you can't make it worse" by having a poke at it yourself. Even if it ends up with some "apprentice marks" for your efforts, and whether you ultimately succeed or fail, at least you'll learn something from the exercise. Then post it to this thread when you've fixed it: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=123392. :D
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:37 pm

I found my second Fenix E21 that works. I swapped tail caps and the broken one worked. So I took the bad tail cap apart. And found this. I can't seem to get it back together. After a light cleaning to get the corrosion out. I assume I need a new tail cap button (center in the pic)? Or a whole new tail cap with all parts?

And what's the trick to getting the left hand part to screw back into the right hand part? I've been using a set of needle nose pliers. (LEatherman 300) But it's not working. Clockwise or counterclockwise.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:52 pm

You might check with the folks on either Candlepowerforums or Budgetlightforums. There are lots of people there who mod flashlights and would probably be able to give you some expert advice on how to disassemble/fix/reassemble your light.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:54 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:37 pm
I found my second Fenix E21 that works. I swapped tail caps and the broken one worked. So I took the bad tail cap apart. And found this. I can't seem to get it back together. After a light cleaning to get the corrosion out. I assume I need a new tail cap button (center in the pic)? Or a whole new tail cap with all parts?

And what's the trick to getting the left hand part to screw back into the right hand part? I've been using a set of needle nose pliers. (LEatherman 300) But it's not working. Clockwise or counterclockwise.

From the threads I see it's a right hand thread, so clockwise to get it in. The trick is to go counterclockwise until you feel a slight click and then go back clockwise. that should get the thread started but you might have to try a few times. They do make special sockets for these that have two nubs on them and go flush against the whole face, making it much easier to thread in, but the cost for one is prohibitive.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

moab

Post by moab » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:27 am

EBuff75 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:52 pm
You might check with the folks on either Candlepowerforums or Budgetlightforums. There are lots of people there who mod flashlights and would probably be able to give you some expert advice on how to disassemble/fix/reassemble your light.
That was gonna be the next step.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:48 am

moab wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:37 pm

I use a forceps. Your's seems easy since its only an inch or so down. I have a coleman 3 color light that has that same type of screw in retaining washer, but it holds the light bezel on, and i have to reach all the way thru the tube to tighten it. about 3-4 inches in.

Lifetime gamer watch at:

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:24 am

Here's a cheap 1" diameter tailcap, $5 with coupon on amazon right now. It says it fits Surefire so should fit 1" lights. Don't know what the shipping or lead time would be. I have no experience with this tailcap. It's probably NOT a momentary on button.

https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Switc ... 37&sr=8-13

But you can usually find aftermarket tailcaps if you look, that will fit most brand name lights if you just want to go that route.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

moab

Post by moab » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:16 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:24 am
Here's a cheap 1" diameter tailcap, $5 with coupon on amazon right now. It says it fits Surefire so should fit 1" lights. Don't know what the shipping or lead time would be. I have no experience with this tailcap. It's probably NOT a momentary on button.

https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Switc ... 37&sr=8-13

But you can usually find aftermarket tailcaps if you look, that will fit most brand name lights if you just want to go that route.
Thank you MAc. That works.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:43 pm

There are a lot of modders in r/flashlight and they're a pretty friendly bunch. They can probably help you out or point you in the right direction.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:55 pm

Towanda wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:43 pm
There are a lot of modders in r/flashlight and they're a pretty friendly bunch. They can probably help you out or point you in the right direction.
Thank you. Totally forgot about reddit.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”