Gear Buying Advice

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

alucard09

Gear Buying Advice

Post by alucard09 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 am

So basically just looking for recommended items of the following so I can avoid trial and error of buying crap. I'm looking for the following.

Quality magnesium bar/cylindrical as well as flint and steel. Would like a couple size options on this one. Bigger one for the fire kit and smaller one for altoid tin

I'd also eventually like to get a nice leather sheath with pocket to hold a altoid size tin as well as a flint/steel and a nice knife so any recommendations on a knife that is common enough to find one of these sheaths fairly easy for it and still be a good knife. (I have a lot of mora's and I love them but i'm not getting a sheath for one of those lol). Was thinking an esee or rat or something along those lines. Price range for the knife prob about 60-100 full tang, 3-5 inch blade roughly, handle material densest matter much, I'm pretty open to this. Mora does all I need it to and def within my current skill range but the nice leather sheath is just a want more or less.

I have an anker 21w solar panel and the goal zero battery back. I've been trying to move all of my flashlights and so on in the AA or AAA route so any good headlamps that run on either of those would also be appreciated. I have a couple of the petzl tikkina. A AA handheld flashlight recommendation would also be appreciated. For the headlamp I would want something with more umph then the PETZL TIKKINA and same with the handheld.

Good place to get jute twine

A small camping wood stove for boiling water but big enough to handle a small pan as well.

Oh and also any good books either kindle style or hard/soft copy just looking for some good reads survival/skill related people have read over the years and liked or thought had good advice/tips. Also camp/backpacking cooking sorta books as well.

As always thanks.

SCBrian

Re: Gear Buying Advice

Post by SCBrian » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:01 am

alucard09 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 am

Oh and also any good books either kindle style or hard/soft copy just looking for some good reads survival/skill related people have read over the years and liked or thought had good advice/tips. Also camp/backpacking cooking sorta books as well.

As always thanks.
2 threads to browse. Due to the age, you may want to browse backwards....
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=118926
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=93341
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 am

Good questions.

1) Books:
"98.6 Degrees: The art of keeping your ass alive" by Cody Lundin is the #1 resource if you only have 1. If you can have 2....
"Deep Survival: Who lives, who dies, and why" by Laurence Gonzales is fantastic and I cannot recommend it enough. But if you could have 3 books...
"Bushcraft" by Mors Kochanski. This book is so full of good info but sorta need an interpreter for parts of it. It takes a lot of practice an tinkering to get some of what he is saying.

Other books are good too, and I"m sure you will get good advice on those.

2) Firsteels:
I would look at Firesteel.com or Doan brand magnesium firestarters. Light My Fire is great too. I would probably start with the Firesteel.com or the Light My Fire, get good, and then get a Doan and see if it is your cup of tea. Or not, if you are already happy.

3) Knives:
ESEE/RAT/anything with steel in the 1075-1095 carbon steel range and a "Scandi" or the "Full Flat" grind are where it's at IMO. There are some super good Stainless Steel knives too. At this point in my life I like a blade size between 4 and 10 inches.

4) Sheath/Altoids Tin Pouch:
If you really want leather, I am not the man to listen to. I really like the synthetics because of how they handle water. BestGlide.com has fantastic pouches for Altoids tins, great tins (improvements over the original), and are a fantastic source of survival equipment. I have not found anyone better, but I have not looked in a while. I have no need to.

Your experience may differ, but my experience is leather gets wet, rots, fall apart, and can be damaged by a sharp knife repeatedly being put in/withdrawn. Depending on how the leather was tanned, it can rust a knife stored in it's sheath. I prefer hard plastics for my sheath and synthetic fabrics for most of my gear. If talking about synthetics for tarps/sleeping bags, things get hairy if doing the bushcraft thing. Fires and synthetics don't mix well and you get a lot of "hole-y" gear. Hard plastics for knife sheaths are durable, don't have much issue with fire (they are no worse than leather), don't have much issue with water, and I can sleep with a knife on my waist if the sheath is made right (if you want to do this, some examples of "good sheaths" will be furnished).

Just my opinions, and you did not ask for all of what I posted up. There are a few more books I could recommend. And practice trumps gear any day of the year. So do please get out and practice. Without practice, most of this stuff is pretty worthless.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:13 am

Did you want a full tang knife or a pocket knife? I suggest a Buck 110 ($55) for a folder that size or 102 $77) for a fixed blade. Buck has a ton of high quality knives with a forever warranty from a company that has been around forever. For sheath I would just have one made. Any leather shop or shoe repair place should be able to make a high quality one better than any you can get off the boat from China for about $30-40 that fits the knife and tin perfectly.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:36 am

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOutdoor ... w/featured

This guy does reviews/has a blog + video on everything from tents to stoves to knives.

Not affiliated with any gear line - so looks at stuff and tells you if it is crap or not...

Good luck
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

alucard09

Post by alucard09 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:05 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 am

4) Sheath/Altoids Tin Pouch:
If you really want leather, I am not the man to listen to. I really like the synthetics because of how they handle water. BestGlide.com has fantastic pouches for Altoids tins, great tins (improvements over the original), and are a fantastic source of survival equipment. I have not found anyone better, but I have not looked in a while. I have no need to.

Your experience may differ, but my experience is leather gets wet, rots, fall apart, and can be damaged by a sharp knife repeatedly being put in/withdrawn. Depending on how the leather was tanned, it can rust a knife stored in it's sheath. I prefer hard plastics for my sheath and synthetic fabrics for most of my gear. If talking about synthetics for tarps/sleeping bags, things get hairy if doing the bushcraft thing. Fires and synthetics don't mix well and you get a lot of "hole-y" gear. Hard plastics for knife sheaths are durable, don't have much issue with fire (they are no worse than leather), don't have much issue with water, and I can sleep with a knife on my waist if the sheath is made right (if you want to do this, some examples of "good sheaths" will be furnished).

Just my opinions, and you did not ask for all of what I posted up. There are a few more books I could recommend. And practice trumps gear any day of the year. So do please get out and practice. Without practice, most of this stuff is pretty worthless.
As far as the sheath I'm more talking about a knife/altoid/fire steel all in one type not separate ones. Thank you for all the other info though and sorry for any misunderstanding.

Also thanks for links for the books SCbrian

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:13 am
Did you want a full tang knife or a pocket knife? I suggest a Buck 110 ($55) for a folder that size or 102 $77) for a fixed blade. Buck has a ton of high quality knives with a forever warranty from a company that has been around forever. For sheath I would just have one made. Any leather shop or shoe repair place should be able to make a high quality one better than any you can get off the boat from China for about $30-40 that fits the knife and tin perfectly.

A full tang is what i'm looking for I already have a few pocket knifes that are decent enough but not so expensive I that I would cry if I broke them or lost them. The knife is mainly a want to go with the sheath and i'm not a 100% deadest on leather if I can find something nice that does what I want in either kydex or a synthetic

Also Thanks TacAir i'll def check out that channel

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:29 pm

If it is Kydex you can just make it yourself. It will be better and you can get what you want exactly.

The Buck 102 is a solid knife that falls right in your price range with unbeatable warranty support.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:42 pm

alucard09 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 am
So basically just looking for recommended items of the following so I can avoid trial and error of buying crap. I'm looking for the following.

Quality magnesium bar/cylindrical as well as flint and steel. Would like a couple size options on this one. Bigger one for the fire kit and smaller one for altoid tin

Just go on ebay. And pick up any length by .5 inch. I'd suggest 5x.5. They throw good sparks. Unless you want to spend a ton of money on the top of the line go to firesteel.com or firesteels.com. Don't remember which.

I'd also eventually like to get a nice leather sheath with pocket to hold a altoid size tin as well as a flint/steel and a nice knife so any recommendations on a knife that is common enough to find one of these sheaths fairly easy for it and still be a good knife. (I have a lot of mora's and I love them but i'm not getting a sheath for one of those lol). Was thinking an esee or rat or something along those lines. Price range for the knife prob about 60-100 full tang, 3-5 inch blade roughly, handle material densest matter much, I'm pretty open to this. Mora does all I need it to and def within my current skill range but the nice leather sheath is just a want more or less.

ESEE 3 or 4 from Knife Connection. Get G10 handles. Or better yet buy the "HM" version with rounded handle. And have a custom leather sheath made by this guy. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Nayscustomleather He's excellent quality and cheap. Expect to pay around $35 to $40.

I have an anker 21w solar panel and the goal zero battery back. I've been trying to move all of my flashlights and so on in the AA or AAA route so any good headlamps that run on either of those would also be appreciated. I have a couple of the petzl tikkina. A AA handheld flashlight recommendation would also be appreciated. For the headlamp I would want something with more umph then the PETZL TIKKINA and same with the handheld.

Good place to get jute twine

A small camping wood stove for boiling water but big enough to handle a small pan as well.

Again ebay. Buy the cheapest one you can find. Or make your own. Lots of plans online to make one out of cans. I'd also make a fancy feast can alcohol stove. And a container for alcohol. World class trekkers and hikers use them to heat their food. Good for hiking and backpacking. Very little weight.

Buy the SAS survival guide. https://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-Han ... 0062378074 You can also get it in a small size or as an app. Also dig around on here. I posted several gb's worth of publications and books for free. But I can't find the post. Maybe someone else can. It would fill a thumbdrive and keep you reading forever. :) I did find this. viewtopic.php?t=91557

As always thanks.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 pm

I would google "leather sheath with firesteel loop" or "plastic/kydex sheath with firesteel loop." Then I would "ranger band" or paracord a pouch or altoids tin to the sheath. Some examples below:

I use bicycle inner tubes to make my ranger bands. You cut them wider if you want less stretch. You cut them skinnier for more stretch.

I learned a lot about stoves in this thread and followed their advice with great results.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114335&hilit=stove

For jute twine I would go to Home Depot, Lows, Ace, or any local outdoor/plants/building store. Just my opinion.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

alucard09

Post by alucard09 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:50 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 pm
I would google "leather sheath with firesteel loop" or "plastic/kydex sheath with firesteel loop." Then I would "ranger band" or paracord a pouch or altoids tin to the sheath. Some examples below:

I use bicycle inner tubes to make my ranger bands. You cut them wider if you want less stretch. You cut them skinnier for more stretch.

I learned a lot about stoves in this thread and followed their advice with great results.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114335&hilit=stove

For jute twine I would go to Home Depot, Lows, Ace, or any local outdoor/plants/building store. Just my opinion.
Ya I've seen some of those and was def thinking about it esp the last one with a actual pouch. I'm leaning more towards plastic/kydex for the sheath and tin. I'll probably shoot the guy Moab linked and see if I can get an estimate for the leather but worse to worse I'll learn how to do kydex and will be a fun process. As for the knife its pretty much Esee or Rat that i've been leaning towards. Heard here and there Esee is better quality.

So update I've added plenty of books to my wish list when they are cheaper/free. Went ahead and got a few fire steels/mag bars for practice/my bags. and am reading through the different forum links people have given for books/stove/and so on. So as always thanks you guys are awesome.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:14 am

The issue is everything is useful in relation to what else you are carrying.

So if you only take Datrex bars. That effects your choice of wood stove.

If you carry shelter. That effects your knife.

And so on. So buying once sort of relies on you working out your systems first and buying around that.

Otherwise mabye focus on good clothing/protective gear and work around that.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:20 am

Now working against my own advice. The Condor Toki. Is a fun one if you want to geek out on survival gadgets.

https://youtu.be/Y8hEhpVKX-0

It comes with a nice leather sheath and a steel striker. Has a hole for a fero rod, a divot for doing friction fires, and a little pouch you can jam survival stuff in.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”