Free with a bag of dog food.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Free with a bag of dog food.

Post by moab » Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 pm

There are a few things I have that are near and dear to my heart. And then there are other things that I have no emotional attachment too. But that have worked so well for so many years - they've stayed around. And some of those are the ones I admire and hope to keep for the rest of my life.

One is this stupid little Kershaw pocket knife from the 80's. My cousin worked at a feed store. And this knife came free with a bag of dog food. (Ya. That doesn't happen anymore! LOL!) He gave it to me. And I never thought much of it at the time. And it wasn't like a birthday present or anything. He just had an extra and gave me one. Well back in the 80's before China. a lot of really great steel came out of Japan. And this little knife is made of 1044 stainless from Japan. I have no idea how good or bad that steel is. But this little pocket knife with a 3" blade will cut anything. And has been with me ever since. It's not much to look at. Isn't tactical. But it has a lot going for it. And that's why I've kept it around to the point that it's always either on my desk or in my pocket.

The blade is sharp as hell. And very easy to sharpen. It's gotta really easy locking mechanism. And a rubber handle. That has never slipped out of my hand. Whether skinning an animal or gutting a fish or cutting something in my shop or just cutting open a bag of weiners. It has a nice point to stab it into things. Or pry small parts open. Or to cut a clean line. And it's just the right size to stick in your pocket.

But the rubber handle and the blade really make this an excellent knife. The rubber is like good rubber. The kind that is soft enough to grip your hands really well. But firm enough that I've beat the hell out of it and it's never had a knick in it. And it just feels solid in your hand. I've never tried to dress a deer with it. But I know you could. And it's probably the least sexy knife I've ever owned. Obviously based on the traditional Buck knife. (Which I love the fact that you can still get a buck knife for 5 bucks or less. And still get anything done with it you'd probably ever need.) But the steel and the rubber handle take the Buck knife design to a whole other level. It just cuts really really well. And feels really really well in your hand. It's ugly as hell in my humble opinion. But it just keeps coming back. Never gets thrown out. And is just so damn useful. It's my daily knife. Ya. I've got nicer CRKT and ESEE knives. But for something you don't care if it gets broken or stolen or lost. It's the best knife I've ever had. And probably the one I've used the most over the last 30 years.

So here's to those things that earn their place in your pocket. Rather than something you lusted after and paid big money for and hope will live up to the hype. This little knife has seen it all. And kept coming back for over 30 years. Which sounds so strange to me. But I've had it that long. And never cared about it. But realize that this is my go to knife about 80% of the time.

And it was free with a bag of dog food.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Re: Free with a bag of dog food.

Post by flybynight » Fri May 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Ever since you posted and I read this thread. That's knifes modern equivalent has been popping up in the sidebar ads of my browser at websites with a lot of ads. $24.99
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:13 pm
Ever since you posted and I read this thread. That's knifes modern equivalent has been popping up in the sidebar ads of my browser at websites with a lot of ads. $24.99
Really?! lol. Gotta link?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri May 17, 2019 9:35 pm

moab wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm
flybynight wrote:
I'll send it to you this weekend.. , I'm on my tablet right now and won't be home til tomorrow evening
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:35 pm
moab wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm
flybynight wrote:
I'll send it to you this weekend.. , I'm on my tablet right now and won't be home til tomorrow evening
Cool. Thanks bud. I've never looked for a replacement. But good to know they still make something similar. Probably not the same steel though. As it's been a minute since they used Japanese steel. I would assume. I'd guess everything is from China these days.

I hate most Kershaw knives. They mostly seem like crap to me. I usually run with my ESEE, Helle or at worst an Old Timer for processing meat. But this little bullshit knife made of Japanese steel is pretty boss. I don't even think about it after all these years. It just works so good. I've put a nice edge on it before with my stones. But even just pulling it thru a stupid ceramic sharpener results in a very sharp edge. So it's pretty maintenance free too. Funny how you can find a cheap stupid thing and have it be your go to for so many years. lol. Might not be the nicest knife. But it's very functional.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”