On you at all times BOB? What do you keep on you?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Adamski

Re: On you at all times BOB? What do you keep on you?

Post by Adamski » Mon May 13, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm a fan of having a dirt cheap EDC knife so I don't have to worry about losing/dulling it. Not that I wouldn't love a nice one, just that I can't think of a time I ever thought "darn, if only this were a benchmade."

Like Mechphisto said, I don't like to keep anything too valuable in my car (including a gun) because I don't like parking my car in strange places and then having to worry about it. But i's a perfect place for semi-essential stuff that you can grab any time or leave in the car without worries. To me, that's a duffle or backpack with some basic medical, tools, pry bar, maglight etc. Pry or halligan bar is pretty cool for if you ever need to gain access through a door in a bind. Just wedge it between the stile and jamb and crank away.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon May 13, 2019 6:40 pm

Adamski wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:43 pm
I'm a fan of having a dirt cheap EDC knife so I don't have to worry about losing/dulling it. Not that I wouldn't love a nice one, just that I can't think of a time I ever thought "darn, if only this were a benchmade."

Like Mechphisto said, I don't like to keep anything too valuable in my car (including a gun) because I don't like parking my car in strange places and then having to worry about it. But i's a perfect place for semi-essential stuff that you can grab any time or leave in the car without worries. To me, that's a duffle or backpack with some basic medical, tools, pry bar, maglight etc. Pry or halligan bar is pretty cool for if you ever need to gain access through a door in a bind. Just wedge it between the stile and jamb and crank away.
Dirt cheap EDC Knives, Know that catagory well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.fasttech.com/product/510550 ... el-folding current edc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0141 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-5 ... /203981004 wifes favorite edc

I bought a half dozen of these at Walmart for $3.50 each but can't find on thier website anymore
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 17, 2019 12:48 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Just noticed I had a pretty large credit on my Amazon account (due to their 5% back store card) and used part of it to get the NEBO REBEL. I may review it later.
About that NEBO Rebel... I posted this review on Amazon yesterday:

I really want to like this light because it has some good features but, for me, the negatives outweigh the positives and I'll probably gift this to a friend at some point. There are three major strikes it has against it for me but first, let me outline the good points.

Pros:

1) Excellent brightness, especially in "turbo" mode but also in "high".
2) Compact size - small enough and light enough that wearing it with the included (reflectorized) headband is mostly comfortable.
3) Magnetic recharging makes it simple to recharge.

And then we get to the cons, of which there are simply too many, including three major strikes that I'll list first.

Cons:

Strike 1) The cord on the magnetic charging base is too short (~ one foot) and non-replaceable. It's also made of a slippery, flat, rubbery material that's difficult to straighten out or twist. Since it's got a USB A on one end that's directional, being able to twist the cord to allow the USB plug to connect with a USB port that might be upside down or sideways becomes an exercise in futility. Unless the USB port you plug it into happens to face the right way, be prepared to just give up getting it to stand and just lie it on its side to charge.

Strike 2) Non-replaceable battery. The light uses what at first appears to be a standard 700mAh 16340 battery that should be user replaceable (because if you just used the light on high for its 2-hour runtime you probably still need light and don't have two hours to spare while it recharges) but which has a proprietary base on it to connect with the tailcap for recharging. Wrapped around the battery is a bright yellow sticker warning that it is not user replaceable and that damage to the light can happen if you try.

Strike 3) Exposed battery connections on the tailcap. While the center post connection on the tailcap is recessed far enough that dropping this light in your pants pocket full of change is probably quite safe, dropping it into a pocket with your keyring may not be. That center post isn't recessed all that far and the tip of a key could probably easily press against it, while the rest of the keys and keyring easily contact the other terminal. Having a high current electrical discharge on metal objects in your pants pocket is not fun.

Other lesser strikes:

1) No instructions. While the box itself has some pictures to show connecting the light to the charger and the different modes, there are no printed instructions in the package (or downloadable) telling you how to get into modes like turbo (long press) and strobe (double press).

2) Slippery housing! Except for a little knurling on the tailcap, the rest of the light is smooth and hard to hold onto with dry hands or gloves. The head, especially, with its weird flare, seems designed to slip out of your fingers.

3) Low isn't low enough. While the low setting (60lm) on this is probably great for extending battery life and lighting your way through an underground cavern, it isn't low enough to use without disturbing someone sleeping in the same room/tent when you need to get up in the middle of the night. A setting below low that was just 10 or 20 lumens would be helpful.

4) The box shows two ways of attaching the light to the headband, vertically and horizontally. To attach it vertically they expect you to use the clip to attach the light to the silicone/rubberized piece on the headband that you would slip the light into for horizontal use. All well and good until you wear it for more than a minute or two and discover the sharp metal tip on the clip cutting a bloody hole in your forehead. Don't try this at home kids, or in the field either.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri May 17, 2019 7:41 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:48 am
About that NEBO Rebel...
Excellent discussion of the pros and cons of this light, so thank you. So good in fact, I'd urge you to repost in a separate review thread. More people would see it and benefit from your insights.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 17, 2019 8:28 am

That is why I like the key chain light, none of the negatives and all of the positives. Uses a USB mini charging port. Includes instructions, goes all the way down to a faint Red LED light although I am not sure if the battery is user replaceable.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 am

NT2C wrote:
NT2C wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Just noticed I had a pretty large credit on my Amazon account (due to their 5% back store card) and used part of it to get the NEBO REBEL. I may review it later.
About that NEBO Rebel... I posted this review on Amazon yesterday:

I really want to like this light because it has some good features but, for me, the negatives outweigh the positives and I'll probably gift this to a friend at some point. There are three major strikes it has against it for me but first, let me outline the good points.

Pros:

1) Excellent brightness, especially in "turbo" mode but also in "high".
2) Compact size - small enough and light enough that wearing it with the included (reflectorized) headband is mostly comfortable.
3) Magnetic recharging makes it simple to recharge.

And then we get to the cons, of which there are simply too many, including three major strikes that I'll list first.

Cons:

Strike 1) The cord on the magnetic charging base is too short (~ one foot) and non-replaceable. It's also made of a slippery, flat, rubbery material that's difficult to straighten out or twist. Since it's got a USB A on one end that's directional, being able to twist the cord to allow the USB plug to connect with a USB port that might be upside down or sideways becomes an exercise in futility. Unless the USB port you plug it into happens to face the right way, be prepared to just give up getting it to stand and just lie it on its side to charge.

Strike 2) Non-replaceable battery. The light uses what at first appears to be a standard 700mAh 16340 battery that should be user replaceable (because if you just used the light on high for its 2-hour runtime you probably still need light and don't have two hours to spare while it recharges) but which has a proprietary base on it to connect with the tailcap for recharging. Wrapped around the battery is a bright yellow sticker warning that it is not user replaceable and that damage to the light can happen if you try.

Strike 3) Exposed battery connections on the tailcap. While the center post connection on the tailcap is recessed far enough that dropping this light in your pants pocket full of change is probably quite safe, dropping it into a pocket with your keyring may not be. That center post isn't recessed all that far and the tip of a key could probably easily press against it, while the rest of the keys and keyring easily contact the other terminal. Having a high current electrical discharge on metal objects in your pants pocket is not fun.

Other lesser strikes:

1) No instructions. While the box itself has some pictures to show connecting the light to the charger and the different modes, there are no printed instructions in the package (or downloadable) telling you how to get into modes like turbo (long press) and strobe (double press).

2) Slippery housing! Except for a little knurling on the tailcap, the rest of the light is smooth and hard to hold onto with dry hands or gloves. The head, especially, with its weird flare, seems designed to slip out of your fingers.

3) Low isn't low enough. While the low setting (60lm) on this is probably great for extending battery life and lighting your way through an underground cavern, it isn't low enough to use without disturbing someone sleeping in the same room/tent when you need to get up in the middle of the night. A setting below low that was just 10 or 20 lumens would be helpful.

4) The box shows two ways of attaching the light to the headband, vertically and horizontally. To attach it vertically they expect you to use the clip to attach the light to the silicone/rubberized piece on the headband that you would slip the light into for horizontal use. All well and good until you wear it for more than a minute or two and discover the sharp metal tip on the clip cutting a bloody hole in your forehead. Don't try this at home kids, or in the field either.
Did you try operating the light with a 16340 battery? I normally charge my batteries with a separate charging station . So the tail cap charger would be relegated to emergency away from home back up use. If the light operates with just a standard 16340. That would be my edc battery
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 17, 2019 12:11 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 am
Did you try operating the light with a 16340 battery? I normally charge my batteries with a separate charging station . So the tail cap charger would be relegated to emergency away from home back up use. If the light operates with just a standard 16340. That would be my edc battery
No, given the way the contacts were arranged and the warning on the battery I was hesitant to try. It probably would work, and I have plenty of them that I could try in it but my biggest concern is that, even if it did work, if I forgot what battery I had in it and hooked up the charger it would short the charger (and possibly the charger power source) causing damage. And once out of the light there's no way to charge the specialized battery.

Pics:

ETA other end of battery:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 17, 2019 12:41 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:41 am
NT2C wrote:
About that NEBO Rebel...
Excellent discussion of the pros and cons of this light, so thank you. So good in fact, I'd urge you to repost in a separate review thread. More people would see it and benefit from your insights.
As requested... and more. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=122904&p=2722136#p2722136

Return to “Bug Out Gear”