On you at all times BOB? What do you keep on you?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mechphisto

On you at all times BOB? What do you keep on you?

Post by Mechphisto » Fri May 10, 2019 10:55 am

I live in a city where cars get broken into all the time, so I can't keep a bag in my car. I have to rely on what I carry on me anytime I leave the house. I have a ThinkGeek Bag of Holding I take everywhere, and I always carry with me my multitool, lighter, flashlight, and one of those metal cards with a bunch of "tools" punched out of it. But I'm thinking of maybe adding a tiny first aid kit and water purification tablets. After all, a bad earthquake is supposed to hit here any time....

What do you carry or recommend for a personal, on you all the time, "kit" or bag that's not cumbersome or overkill?

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: On you at all times BOB? What do you keep on you?

Post by Halfapint » Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 am

What you're thinking of is EDC (Every Day Carry). I used to work at a major airport and I carried a "TSA" approved EDC BOB. this was something I could carry through TSA that had everything I needed to get me home or even a bad winter storm where I couldn't get out for a couple days. I had 2 1.5l water bottles, 2 mylar blankets, double walled alcohol stove, 3.4oz bottle of denatured alcohol, 1 change of clothes, couple bags of jerky, some ramen, 2 battery packs, cables for everything, all zippers had those small LED flashlights, cheap AA flashlight, some other stuff I cant think of.

Now I work in an office building and keep everything in my truck. We have high property crime around here as well, but I've never had my truck messed with because dark tint, and I keep nothing visible. everything is in the compartment under my rear seat, and in the hidey hole under the middle seat in the front. I have everything I need to live out of my truck for a few days now. I too prep for earthquakes, that's the major thing we face up here. I have everything I need to walk to my house, grab my real BOB/INCH and head to the property.

The only thing that worries me are the lahars from Mt Rainier blowing. Because I live on one side of the valley, and the property is on the other side if the valley is hit I wont be able to make it over there as easily. But in that case I think I would have bigger issues so we'll see what happens for that.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

wpick

Post by wpick » Fri May 10, 2019 1:28 pm

This is an Operations bag I use this every day, when I need frequently needed item close at hand as well as needing to conceal carry a handgun. I can use it with my Get-Me-Home bag, or my 72 Hr. Pack

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/12/26/the-canteen-kit/

USMC Pack/Black pack 3 L Platypus bladder E- Pouch *
Personal First Aid Kit * Wet Wipes Two 55 Gal. Drum liners
Compass w/mirror 4 Millennium bars Water bottle kit *
Zip lock bags Poncho Fixed Blade knife
Pistol Extra magazines
Money (One $50 bill, one $20 bill, two $10 bill, one $5 bill, five $1 bills.)

E-Pouch *
Head lamp Bushcraft Fire kit * 200’ Cordage
Repair kit * Casualty blanket Extra batteries
12 water purification tablets 1 roll of 1” Gorilla tape Sharpening hone

Bushcraft Fire kit
Altoids “Arctic” tin Mini Bic lighter Relight candle
6 Tinder Quicks 1 Wet Fire

Repair kit *
Canvas Sail needle 2 Safety pins Eyeglass repair kit

Personal First Aid Kit *
4 Band-Aids Two 4x4 Gauze 4” Ace wrap
Moleskin 5’ of 1/2” tape 2 Alcohol wipes
Plastic comb 1 Maxipad Triangular Bandage
Butterflys 2 Benzoin of tincture amps. 6 Antihistamine
4 Imodium tablets Roll of Alieve tablets Throat lozengers
Anitbiotic cream 5’ of 1/2” tape 1 Maxipad

Water bottle kit *
40 oz. Klean Kanteen Nesting cup Alunimum foil (for lid)
Scrub pad Spork

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri May 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:55 am
I live in a city where cars get broken into all the time, so I can't keep a bag in my car.
Well, that sucks. I used to live in some pretty low rent parts of the East Coast Portland and I had the same problem. I quickly learned to never lock my car. Because nothing I dared leave in it was anywhere near as expensive as replacing a smashed window. Any possibility of stashing some emergency supplies underneath the spare tire or in some other suitably clever hiding spot?
Mechphisto wrote:
I have a ThinkGeek Bag of Holding I take everywhere,
I had to look that up. That's actually a cool looking bag, and definitely has that grey man look so you don't stand out in an urban environment. I do like that huge velcro field. It would be perfect for my 'Han Shot First' morale patch. In your opinion does it seem like a fairly well constructed bag?
Mechphisto wrote:
I always carry with me my multitool, lighter, flashlight, and one of those metal cards with a bunch of "tools" punched out of it. But I'm thinking of maybe adding a tiny first aid kit and water purification tablets. After all, a bad earthquake is supposed to hit here any time....
That's a pretty good start, with the exception of the metal tool card. Just my humble opinion, but I think most of those are garbage. I'd sooner carry a credit card sized Fresnel lens or maybe a signal mirror. A small first aid kit (IFAK) and water purification tablets are excellent ideas. Make sure you have at least a folding/collapsible water bottle on you, even if it you carry it around empty. An N95 filter mask, some lightweight work gloves and maybe some goggles would make sense in your urban environment. Air quality and dust could definitely be an issue in the city if the big one hits. Other ideas off the top of my head would be a small power bank (preferably one with a flashlight function) and some extra cash.

My daily EDC is a folding knife and a key chain that has a Leatherman mini multitool, pea lighter and Nitecore Tube rechargeable flashlight on it. It's not a fair comparison to your situation however as I live and work in more secure areas, so I have fairly extensive get home bags that I can safely leave in my car and motorcycle.

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Fri May 10, 2019 3:31 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:21 pm
Any possibility of stashing some emergency supplies underneath the spare tire or in some other suitably clever hiding spot?
Heh, unfortunately, I drive a Fiat 500 :) As much as I would LOVE a jimmy, considering 99% of my time is spent in a city with ridiculously narrow roads and parallel parking everywhere, I consider my Fiat a survival gear :D
majorhavoc wrote:
Mechphisto wrote:
I have a ThinkGeek Bag of Holding I take everywhere,
In your opinion does it seem like a fairly well constructed bag?
Actually, yeah, it's not bad! YKK zippers and thick material. I've had it for some years now and there's not a thing wrong with it. It IS a little smaller than I'd like, though, fair warning.
majorhavoc wrote:
That's a pretty good start, with the exception of the metal tool card. Just my humble opinion, but I think most of those are garbage.
Heh normally I agree with you, but I got it from Cory Doctorow when he came by on a WALKAWAY book signing, so I have to keep it around. :D But yeah, my Gerber multitool is my first go-to :)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri May 10, 2019 3:57 pm

ON ME at all times ( separate from GHB) Pistol, Reload, Folding knife ( that opens one hand ),multi-tool with belt clip, Flashlight, Wallet (with cards and cash). Inside wallet is one of those metal card tool things. House keys ( with small multi tool clipped to it, car keys ( with smaller muti tool clipped to it). Phone, work keys and nail clippers ( so I look spiffy during the apocalypse )
The pistol actually is not usually on me at work because my building has superior security. So remains in the truck . If we are going someplace after work , I put it on before I leave the parking lot. If going straight home, then I normally wait till I get home to put it on.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 10, 2019 4:30 pm

You really have all that on you at all times FBN? Even when home relaxing on a quiet Saturday morning sipping that first cup of coffee?

I just finished my second cup (didn't get to sleep until 0900 this morning due to breakthrough pain) and here's what's in the pockets of my sweats (minus the used snot bandanna you folks don't need to see):

It likely wouldn't be enough to get me to a different location at any distance, but I can't walk that far anyway so it's a moot point. It's enough to cover my immediate needs in the event of a home invasion, rabid animal attack when I get the mail, loss of electric power at night, etc.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri May 10, 2019 4:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:30 pm
You really have all that on you at all times FBN? Even when home relaxing on a quiet Saturday morning sipping that first cup of coffee?

I just finished my second cup (didn't get to sleep until 0900 this morning due to breakthrough pain) and here's what's in the pockets of my sweats (minus the used snot bandanna you folks don't need to see):

It likely wouldn't be enough to get me to a different location at any distance, but I can't walk that far anyway so it's a moot point. It's enough to cover my immediate needs in the event of a home invasion, rabid animal attack when I get the mail, loss of electric power at night, etc.
yea, I have a strong stiff ( tight) belt :awesome:

John Titor was right

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri May 10, 2019 7:19 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:31 pm
Cory Doctorow
Ha! Boingboing.net is one of my favorite websites!

moab

Post by moab » Sat May 11, 2019 12:56 am

NT2C wrote:

Why two flashlights? Just curious. Seems a bit like overkill. ;)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat May 11, 2019 7:56 am

AHHH first cup of coffee on a Saturday morning. Got all my EDC, nice easy chair. So relaxing :awesome:

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 11, 2019 8:41 am

moab wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:56 am
NT2C wrote:

Two is one; one is none. :mrgreen:

Because of my arthritis, if I trip and fall it's almost impossible for me to stand back up again on my own. Consequently, I need to be very careful not to trip and fall, so I carry a flashlight and a backup so I can see where I'm walking if the power goes out or just around the house at night without turning the lights on. With four cats and cat toys scattered everywhere, there's always something to trip over. The two flashlights also have different purposes. The one all the way on the left has a very dim setting that's great for when my wife is sleeping in her chair in the living room (she has back and hip issues too and sometimes needs to sleep semi-reclining) but has a lousy beam "throw", making it useless for seeing what's out in the yard that has the cats spooked, which is where the second light excells. It has a very bright, focused beam with a long throw (about 200' range) that is great for spotting things at a distance.

That first light also comes with a neat little silicone cap that acts as a diffuser and gives off enough light to fill a room, or just enough to read a book, depending on the brightness setting.

It also glows in the dark. Link to it on Amazon, because I know someone will be curious.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Sat May 11, 2019 1:18 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:41 am
moab wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Because of my arthritis, if I trip and fall it's almost impossible for me to stand back up again on my own. Consequently, I need to be very careful not to trip and fall, so I carry a flashlight and a backup so I can see where I'm walking if the power goes out or just around the house at night without turning the lights on. With four cats and cat toys scattered everywhere, there's always something to trip over. The two flashlights also have different purposes. The one all the way on the left has a very dim setting that's great for when my wife is sleeping in her chair in the living room (she has back and hip issues too and sometimes needs to sleep semi-reclining) but has a lousy beam "throw", making it useless for seeing what's out in the yard that has the cats spooked, which is where the second light excells. It has a very bright, focused beam with a long throw (about 200' range) that is great for spotting things at a distance.

That first light also comes with a neat little silicone cap that acts as a diffuser and gives off enough light to fill a room, or just enough to read a book, depending on the brightness setting.

It also glows in the dark. Link to it on Amazon, because I know someone will be curious.
That's a strong beard game sir. Much admiration. :) I have a good size goatee. But you sir are at the top of your game.

I too have a wife. That sleeps very lightly. MAybe I should get a diffuser. Good idea. :)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat May 11, 2019 1:33 pm

moab wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:18 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:41 am
moab wrote:
NT2C wrote:

That's a strong beard game sir. Much admiration. :) I have a good size goatee. But you sir are at the top of your game.

I too have a wife. That sleeps very lightly. MAybe I should get a diffuser. Good idea. :)
Become a ZS mod and you too will look like this. ( Of course on the plus side you'll never have to buy boots again). Notice the exhausted state. The rapidly greying hair.The sad tired eyes as he is forced to decide on and endless stream of RSB posts. Given the context of this thread, one would be led to believe that he is demonstrating the flashlight mentioned in his post. But in actuality , it is the Thumb of DOOM poised to irretrievably send yet another post to the ever malignant graveyard thread. Odin never had so heavy a task. DELETE AWAY DARK KNIGHT OF THE ZOMBIE BOARDS.

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 11, 2019 4:15 pm

I think we have sidetracked this thread enough. Image

Apologies to the OP.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 11, 2019 4:21 pm

moab wrote:

It means I don't need a razor in my BOB. :mrgreen:

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat May 11, 2019 6:21 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:21 pm
moab wrote:
It means I don't need a razor in my BOB. :mrgreen:
Beards are a utility item. Reduce the need for sunscreen in the summer, and insulation in the winter.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 11, 2019 7:40 pm

ON ME at all times ( separate from GHB) Pistol, Reload, Folding knife ( that opens one hand ),multi-tool with belt clip, Flashlight, Wallet (with cards and cash). Inside wallet is one of those metal card tool things. House keys ( with small multi tool clipped to it, car keys ( with smaller multi tool clipped to it). Phone, work key.
Pretty much. Although after two years of no use I boxed up the $1 tool card thingee. I also don't often carry a reload unless I am going to place where a shooting is more likely; like say a school or where I might encounter criminals such as at Walmart. Although I avoid Walmart as much as I can.

My work key is my phone so that is one less thing. Also all the popo gear for work when working. I take all that off for breakfast but it is rare a firearm is not within easy reach in our house. I normally work Friday night so I'm headed to bed on Saturday morning most times. We are very isolated out here and our driveway is about 1000 feet long. If I am not expecting anyone this automatically raises my alert level when I hear someone (package delivery, meter reader, lost souls) come down it. In our county lately there have been a lot of ATV thefts so anyone coming down the driveway gets a lot of scrutiny from the security cameras and personal contact if they get out of the vehicle. BTW, if you have an ATV, storing it outside with the key in it is dumb.

I got one of these the other day, put it on my key chain and really like it.
https://www.amazon.com/NEBO-Mini-Rechar ... B07GWZX82Y

In fact other than my work flashlight it has displaced my other lights as my most used light. I wish it came as a weapon light. With all the features, small size and recharge capability it would be perfect for a smaller gun rail or an ultra lightweight powerful light.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:40 pm
I got one of these the other day, put it on my key chain and really like it.
https://www.amazon.com/NEBO-Mini-Rechar ... B07GWZX82Y

In fact other than my work flashlight it has displaced my other lights as my most used light. I wish it came as a weapon light. With all the features, small size and recharge capability it would be perfect for a smaller gun rail or an ultra lightweight powerful light.
NEBO does make some awesome flashlights. I've several of theirs and I'm always impressed with what they come out with next. I've been considering getting the NEBO REBEL but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Maybe I'll get it and tell the wife it was my anniversary gift a little early... :awesome:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat May 11, 2019 10:19 pm

If you are preparing for an earthquake , I would include heavy work gloves, head lamp,( extra batteries) the N-95 masks. (get multiple as they fit inside each other ) Although they won't fit into a small pack, you are really going to need some construction type work boots. There will be lots of broken stuff. Oh yea get a water filter, cause drinkable tap water will be one of the first things to disappear. Radio would be nice too. Hard hat would probably come in handy too,

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Just noticed I had a pretty large credit on my Amazon account (due to their 5% back store card) and used part of it to get the NEBO REBEL. I may review it later.

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Mon May 13, 2019 9:01 am

That's the problem with the ultra-bright tactical flashlights... The are great for lighting up the area, but put out too much light for close-up reading.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 am

Mechphisto wrote:
I live in a city where cars get broken into all the time, so I can't keep a bag in my car. I have to rely on what I carry on me anytime I leave the house. I have a ThinkGeek Bag of Holding I take everywhere, and I always carry with me my multitool, lighter, flashlight, and one of those metal cards with a bunch of "tools" punched out of it. But I'm thinking of maybe adding a tiny first aid kit and water purification tablets. After all, a bad earthquake is supposed to hit here any time....

What do you carry or recommend for a personal, on you all the time, "kit" or bag that's not cumbersome or overkill?
You make an excellent point about urban crime.

I carry a 'messenger' style bag that was made to carry a laptop.

I carry:
25 ft orange para cord - this for making a "carry handle" for boxes and suck. And because it's paracord, has a million other uses.
A 35mm film can with $25 in coin (24 $1, 4x quarters) and a$20 & a $5.
a pair of lock blade knives
1 ea 750mL SS water bottle
a AM/FM/WB radio (a small SONY)
Small Maglight converted to LEDs
Small FAK
2 x mylar blankets (space blankets) at the insistence of my DW

- and my lunch w/750mL thermos flask.

I dress for the weather - always. In my pocket is a SAK, always. Since I work just 3.5 miles from home, I plan on a 1 hour+ walk home in other than winter. Double that in the winter.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Mon May 13, 2019 11:37 am

Band-aids, splinter out, and CPR face shield from my wallet. Carabiner multitool from my keyring. I work from my home in a rural area and don't always carry the S&W 638, but it's kept in a hidden location near the door so I can grab it easily on the way out when it seems appropriate to do so.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”