Which of these 2 bags would you pick?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mechphisto

Which of these 2 bags would you pick?

Post by Mechphisto » Thu May 09, 2019 6:38 pm

So I've narrowed down my bag to these two within my price range. What would you pick and why?
If you have any actual experience with either, I'd love to hear!

NOOLA 40L Military Tactical Army Backpack 3 Day Pack Molle Bug Out Bag Backpack Rucksack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KY7YBSX/?c ... 37YAPXBAAS

Samurai Tactical Wakizashi Tactical Backpack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VJZWNH/?c ... AONF696EQV

Thanks for any feedback!

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Re: Which of these 2 bags would you pick?

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu May 09, 2019 9:24 pm

I would strongly recommend neither.

They both use very cheap sub-par materials that will likely fail in short order. The off-brand zippers are usually the first thing to go, but the fabric coatings tend to crack and fail quickly as well leaving poor seam integrity. The cheap buckles are also a vulnerability but will usually outlast the aforementioned issues.

Beyond this neither pack offers much real functionality over a classic book bag, I would highly suggest putting the same budget toward a thrift store or a used sporting goods store, where you can very easily find a used pack for the same price that retailed for 3-4X the price and has YKK zippers, ITW or Duraflex buckles, and PU coated nylon fabric. Even with a few years under its belt a quality used pack is almost certain to outlast those amazon tactical packs.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 09, 2019 10:11 pm

The first has tiny little straps that with any Weight will hurt.
The second had garbage suspension and a terrible design.

I spent some money on an “assault pack” and it was money not worth spent. In all honesty a “cheap” backpack from any outdoor store is going to be immensely better. I think REI has some bags that are maybe $20 more and have actual good qualities.

I don’t want to be rude or demeaning but if those are your price range then do what you can to save and get something twice as much and get something 1000x’s better.

I bought the assault pack when I was a single bread earner for a 2 person family living in down town Seattle. It was the worst mistake I made in early prepping. I had other bags but I wanted something black and “tacticool” now RIT dye and everything is black!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Thu May 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Well, this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for! It's not rude at all, it's constructive feedback from experience and I appreciate it!

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:16 pm
Well, this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for! It's not rude at all, it's constructive feedback from experience and I appreciate it!
I’d that’s the budget you have and you can’t afford to get better even with the small shoulder straps I think the first would be best.

But if the money is this is what I have this second and I want something, wait.

And glad I didn’t come off as an asshole. I just made the mistake before and tried hiking with 2 nights worth of gear. My shoulders paid for it. Hammock, sleeping bag, food and water were all I carried.

Good luck!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

moab

Post by moab » Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 pm

My advice is wait a month or two and save your money.

Save up for the 5.11 RUSH 12, 24 or 72. Depending on what size your looking for. Those are the bags - the bags you picked out - are based on. The ones you picked out are total shitty copies. You can't go cheap with a backpack. (Unless your willing to rock an ALICE pack. But those are about $50. You might as well save another $30 and get the best. IMHO) Also use camelcamelcamel to get an idea of how much your paying on amazon. The RUSH 12 in black is $80 - originally I think it was $139. But it's been around for a while. But I've seen it cheaper in solid colors. Down in the $50 range. I have the RUSH 12 and it's THE BEST backpack I've ever owned. For a medium sized day pack. Everything about it is engineered to serve your needs. I don't think there is a fault in it. And it's really a pack meant to take into combat or LE situations. They are built to last a lifetime. So look at the price that way. And as always buy once, cry once. You could spend a lot more than $50-$100 on a day pack. But in the say $75 range 5.11 has it nailed. You won't need anymore pack than this.

I used to always use cheaper backpack. But after owning this for a couple years. I get it. It just works. Everything about it is logical. I never find myself digging thru pockets looking for something. It's designed by some pretty smart people that know how people use backpacks. And the quality is bombproof.

Currently it's $80 in a cursory search online. You might dig and find an even better price.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... BOMQ2SsIFg

Here are the specs from 5.11. I don't know what the "Rush Tier Rifle Sleeve" is. But I want one now. lol. It also comes in 24hr and 72hr sizes. Priced accordingly. But if you ever want to upgrade to the larger sizes it's not that much more:

https://www.511tactical.com/rush-12-backpack.html

RUSH12™ BACKPACK 24L DETAILS
The RUSH12™ is a high-performance tactical pack suitable for active duty, hunting and recreation, or grab-and-go. Compatible with 5.11®'s TIER system and the Rush Tier Rifle Sleeve, the pack features unmatched storage capability, a wrap-around MOLLE and SlickStick-compatible web platform, adjustable shoulder and sternum straps, a 60-oz. hydration pocket, and durable, water-resistant construction. It's a back pack built to be ready for anything.

DIMENSIONS
Main Compartment - 18" x 11" x 6.5"
Front pocket - 12” x 9” x 1.75”
Hydration pocket -17” x 11”
Total Capacity - 1476 cubic inch / 24 liter total
Weight - 2.6 lbs

FEATURES DETAILS
16 individual compartments
Roomy main storage area
Hydration pocket
Water-resistant 1050D nylon (MultiCam®: 1000D nylon)
Wrap-around MOLLE/5.11 SlickStick® web platform
Internal multi-slot admin compartment
Zippered fleece-lined eyewear pocket
Hook and loop nametape and flag patches
Adjustable height sternum strap
Two external compression straps
Contoured yoke shoulder strap system
Self-repairing YKK® zippers
Glove-friendly pull tabs
Imported

Notice how similar it looks to the ones you picked out?

Here's the rifle attachment. In case you'd ever be interested in it. Great way to carry your rifle or an extra say 10/22 for small game. I wouldn't try anything heavier than a lightweight AR or 10/22.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri May 17, 2019 7:24 pm

As everyone else has mentioned, crappy bags. Furthermore, did you notice that one bag was almost half the size of the other?

First figure out what you want/need to carry.

Then look for the bag to carry it to a) get you home for 25 miles or thru hike the Pacific Coast Trail.

A couple other options are as follows:

Outdoor Products found at Walmart. Decent and a simple life time guarantee. Seam fails, fabric rips, just mail it in and they mail back a new one. That simple.

The outlets of various online retailers REI, Sunny Sports, Outdoor Vitals (my favorite), Steep & Cheap, Sierra Trading Post.

Craigslist and E-bay.

The big lesson I'd share it do research. Asking here is a great start. But read customer reviews, magazine/web reviews and talk to others.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat May 18, 2019 10:35 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Outdoor Products found at Walmart. Decent and a simple life time guarantee. Seam fails, fabric rips, just mail it in and they mail back a new one. That simple.

That has not been my experience, twice. I have a very petite 11yo daughter. for two years in a row she has managed to destroy her Outdoor Products backpack with her schoolbooks and homework. She can't physically care much so it really shouldn't strain the pack. The return process involves sending them the pack the cost of which which is equal to or greater than what I originally paid.Once they receive it, then I get credit towards items on their website that don't match what I originally purchased and cost significantly more.

ETA: OP, I have a large ALICE with frame, shoulder straps and kidney belt that might fit your need if you want to PM me.
Last edited by yossarian on Sun May 19, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 pm

yossarian wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:35 pm
ETA: OP, I have a large ALICE with frame, shoulder straps and kidney belt that
And let's take that to Bartertown or PM, please.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun May 19, 2019 12:12 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 pm
yossarian wrote:
ETA: OP, I have a large ALICE with frame, shoulder straps and kidney belt that I'd part with
Post edited to omit price, as per your previous guidelines, and apologies offered.
" So, brave knights,

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 19, 2019 12:20 am

yossarian wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:12 am
NT2C wrote:
yossarian wrote:
ETA: OP, I have a large ALICE with frame, shoulder straps and kidney belt that I'd part with
Post edited to omit price, as per your previous guidelines, and apologies offered.
Thank you.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

yossarian

Post by yossarian » Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:20 am
yossarian wrote:
NT2C wrote:
yossarian wrote:
Thank you.
No problem, certainly don't want to break any arbitrary rules.
" So, brave knights,

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun May 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Really, when I did it they sent back a backpack that was 5L bigger than the original.
yossarian wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:24 pm

That has not been my experience, twice. I have a very petite 11yo daughter. for two years in a row she has managed to destroy her Outdoor Products backpack with her schoolbooks and homework. She can't physically care much so it really shouldn't strain the pack. The return process involves sending them the pack the cost of which which is equal to or greater than what I originally paid.Once they receive it, then I get credit towards items on their website that don't match what I originally purchased and cost significantly more.

ETA: OP, I have a large ALICE with frame, shoulder straps and kidney belt that might fit your need if you want to PM me.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 19, 2019 9:54 pm

yossarian wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:20 am
yossarian wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Thank you.
No problem, certainly don't want to break any arbitrary rules.
I don't make 'em, I just enforce them. If you'd like to discuss it further you're welcome to take it up in PM with me or any other moderator.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”