CR123 Batteries

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

CR123 Batteries

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:58 pm

I need CR 123 batteries.

I would like anyone to recommend a reliable source that they have used that provides batteries that:

Are:
- Fully charged
- Inexpensive
- Delivered
- Available in bulk

Are Not:
- Fake
- Low amperage
- Used

Places I have tried unsuccessfully to have delivered to me good batteries:

- Walmart (sent me an open package with used batteries)
- Lowes (Really expensive)
- Various Amazon vendors (Mostly either fake or really low amps)
- Galls (sent me used batteries with no package)
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: CR123 Batteries

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 pm

I usually order CR123s from Surefire. Always had good luck with Orbtronic 18650 batteries, too.

https://www.orbtronic.com

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 pm

Not Surefire on Amazon? Those are all fake.
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Check out battery junction . I’ve gotten my rechargeable cr123’s there and they are a good quality.
They have non chargable ones too.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:58 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:56 pm
Prime Day deal

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-123-Li ... +batteries
Those are fake.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:05 pm

How do you know? Amazon sources from a few different dealers.

edit: Nevermind. I just read the reviews. :ohdear:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm telling you there is some kind of plot out there on these batteries.

They are small, expensive and easy to fake until you get them. I walked in to Walmart the other day and tried to buy them off the shelf. The clerk said they had 90 something in stock and there were zero on the shelf.They had all been stolen. That is when I ordered them from Walmart and got the used batteries. I went to Lowes and they had them under lock and key in a special cabinet. Batteries worked great but cost $5/ea.
You go over and under
I go through

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Battery Junction and Battery station are two reputable sellers I have used.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 pm

]I have some flashlights that will use cr123 s but they are designed for and . I've switched mostly over to 18650' s . The cr 123''s were just too expensive for everyday use.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 pm

This is a timely topic. I use the Energizer brand cr-123 due to all the counterfeiting of the batteries. They are damned expensive especially since these days AA lights can put out similar or better lumens.

I bought mine from Amazon but as noted fakes abound.

I have only a few lights and layers that use these, so I am tempted to simply scrap the lights and limit them to the lasers.

Does anyone have a better suggestion. Do the rechargeable ones hold a long term charge? The use I have in mind leaves them sitting around for a year+ and they need to work when I pick them up.

BTW Arlo cameras use two of these batteries and the use of Arlo cameras are now common.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm

The use I have in mind involves three weapon flashlights and three scopes on an annual basis for a total of nine batteries a year. All must work when I want them to work.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:05 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 pm
This is a timely topic. I use the Energizer brand cr-123 due to all the counterfeiting of the batteries. They are damned expensive especially since these days AA lights can put out similar or better lumens.

I bought mine from Amazon but as noted fakes abound.

I have only a few lights and layers that use these, so I am tempted to simply scrap the lights and limit them to the lasers.

Does anyone have a better suggestion. Do the rechargeable ones hold a long term charge? The use I have in mind leaves them sitting around for a year+ and they need to work when I pick them up.

BTW Arlo cameras use two of these batteries and the use of Arlo cameras are now common.
Yes, the rechargeables hold a charge very well. Just for shits & giggles, I pulled 4 out of my battery drawer just now that had to have been sitting in there for two years without a recharge and all 4 were at better than 80% charge. They've been sitting in there for so long because the only light I have left that uses them is an old Surefire 6P with an 800lm LED insert that's one of the three flashlights I keep near the bed (the only one with a red filter on it). Everything else I have these days uses 18650, AA, or AAA.

(These are 2,200mAh 16340 batteries I'm using in place of CR123 batteries)

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:54 pm

So what brand of cr 123 rechargeables work for everyone? I use eneloop for AA rechargeables for my game cameras. These seem to work ok but they see a lot of use and not much standby.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 pm

I bought my rechargabkes from battery junction. They are light blue/green. They work great, don’t last as long as the non rechargeables, but they do well enough. I have have kept a pair in my weapon light for the last 3 years. I only just had to recharge them.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:43 am

I've used only Surefire batteries from the Surefire rep and since I run mostly Surefire lights this seems best.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:53 am

I recently bought 18650 rechargeable Li-ion batteries and charger from amazon at a reasonable price. They came already fully charged [surprise to me]. But I haven't had them long enough to say they are great. 18650 replaces two cr123 in series.

I went to the rechargeable to avoid all that was mentioned above, and can recharge them using a solar charger in a pinch. In the past I have not had great success with rechargeable brand name AA and AAA, but for that price I thought I'd take a chance.

I'm not recommending, but this is what I bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HS ... UTF8&psc=1
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:21 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:53 am
18650 replaces two cr123 in series.
Not exactly. CR123 batteries are 3 volts (3.7v for some rechargeables) and 18650s are 3.7 volts. Two CR123 batteries in series are 6v (7.4 for rechargeables). In the case of most LED lights the voltage drop won't matter because there's a voltage regulator built into the LED module that's able to handle a pretty wide voltage range and still emit full brightness. In the case of incandescent lights though, they're going to be dim as hell because they're getting half the voltage they were looking for. If you replace regular non-rechargeable CR123 batteries with rechargeables in that same light the extra 1.4 volts will make it super bright but burn the bulb out quickly. And there are some (older) LED lights that don't have the voltage regulator built in, and they will have problems similar to what an incandescent will.

For the majority of newer lights that take two CR123 batteries, a single 18650 will work fine though, as will a pair of 16340.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Some great info here. Thanks.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:21 am
MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:53 am
18650 replaces two cr123 in series.
Not exactly. CR123 batteries are 3 volts (3.7v for some rechargeables) and 18650s are 3.7 volts. Two CR123 batteries in series are 6v (7.4 for rechargeables). In the case of most LED lights the voltage drop won't matter because there's a voltage regulator built into the LED module that's able to handle a pretty wide voltage range and still emit full brightness. In the case of incandescent lights though, they're going to be dim as hell because they're getting half the voltage they were looking for. If you replace regular non-rechargeable CR123 batteries with rechargeables in that same light the extra 1.4 volts will make it super bright but burn the bulb out quickly. And there are some (older) LED lights that don't have the voltage regulator built in, and they will have problems similar to what an incandescent will.

For the majority of newer lights that take two CR123 batteries, a single 18650 will work fine though, as will a pair of 16340.
yeah I left a bunch of alternates out, thinking only of myself and what my situation is. thanks. [The only incandescent lights I have now are a medium sized MagLite w/ C batteries IIRC, a MagSol AAA, and 3) of those gigantic plastic POS's that use the block 6.0 volt batteries.]

RE LED voltage examples :
  • I have 3 solarforce lights I built using P60 drop in LED lamps. Two use exactly the same 480 Lumen LED lamp heads with a voltage spec of 3.0 to 18.0 volts . The third uses a P60 but has a 450+ lumen lamp head with a 3.6 -12.0 volt range.

Now after what you mentioned, I'm interested to see if there is a visual difference in the output depending on the voltage between the 2 identical lamps using CR123 and 18650. currently both are using the 18650 and the 450+L is using 2) CR123's. And if the regulator takes them all down to the minimum volts or what.

And last night I measured the voltage on the rechargeable Li-ion 18650's, I received fully charged a few months ago but have never used, and it was 4.0 volts. Alternately my other Li-Po and Li-ion rechargables, used in other equipment, always charge past what their label says. 7.4 usually charges to 8.3v.
Experiment time.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Measured voltage on batteries is usually done under a slight load (I forget exactly how much) so just sticking a VM on them will usually return a higher voltage reading than what's on the label.

For probably more information than you'll ever need the greatest source in my known universe for battery info is: Battery University

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:41 pm

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:50 pm

KJ, That's a great link, bookmarked for the section on repairing laptop batteries, and reviving Nimh and Li-ion batteries.

I don't know though, that might be for testing capacity, this seems relevant from that link. the Voltage method, no load or charge or discharge http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _of_charge

I have some testers with battery settings. So if a load is required its internal on those. I'll have to compare readings from one of those to one that just has a DC setting and see if there is a difference. The one I used last night only has multiple DC volt selections. I selected 20 volts, its a digital meter. I've never calibrated them though because I don't have a calibrated voltage generator so they may be off.

My HT has an internal volt meter and it reads 8.3 volts on a freshly charged 7.4v battery, which must have a load on it 'cause the HT is turned on to get the reading.

You do have to be careful not to run the testing circuit thru your body [fingers], that will effect it too. LOL
Lifetime gamer watch at:

rooks

Post by rooks » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Are you in the US? In the case of Surefire batteries, why not simply order direct from them?

https://www.surefire.com/batteries.html

If you also search for authorized dealers, you might find one local to you that you can go to and maybe save a couple dollars.
~ Russ

Return to “Bug Out Gear”