BOB canteen fishing system.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: BOB canteen fishing system.

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 pm

bobbyh wrote:That's really cool!

I'm a little unclear how you reel it back in with a fish on the line, though :? . Do you just wrap the line back around the bottle with your hand, or is there some "trick" I'm over looking?
Yup just wrap the line back around. This can be done faster than someone might think.

DK.

Looking forward to the pics.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Paragon

Re:

Post by Paragon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:39 pm

canuck wrote:You've suddenly made the whole fishing system lightweight and feasible.
I probably missed it somewhere, but since I don't think I'd really ever enjoy drinking out of a Nalgene that had been converted over to fishing gear, it only seems natural that one could store all their extra fishing line, survival gill net, speed hooks, lures, bobbers, etc. inside the water bottle.

I have several smaller water bottles laying around that would make good candidates for this project -- thanks for the inspiration WW.

Jim

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:52 pm

bookmarked. thanks. :)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Re:

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:37 am

Paragon wrote:
canuck wrote:You've suddenly made the whole fishing system lightweight and feasible.
I probably missed it somewhere, but since I don't think I'd really ever enjoy drinking out of a Nalgene that had been converted over to fishing gear, it only seems natural that one could store all their extra fishing line, survival gill net, speed hooks, lures, bobbers, etc. inside the water bottle.

I have several smaller water bottles laying around that would make good candidates for this project -- thanks for the inspiration WW.

Jim
If you look at the photos there is a package of hooks inside the canteen. I do pack all the fishing stuff in the canteen but keep lures and free hook etc inside a little pill bottle stored inside the whole system. I don't want to drink hooks just incase I should need the bottle for extra water storage. I am with you in keeping it a fishing only setup and mostly I do. Here is a better photo of my fishing gear stored inside the Bob canteen system. For this one I used a 1 oz semi clear Nalgene to store the hooks etc.

In my E&E I use the canteen to store more than just the fishing gear. For this one I used a white pill bottle for keeping the hooks etc. Even with the smaller 14 oz Nalgenes there is room for lots of junk.

Both systems are nearly the same with the exception of lanyard and bottle color. The E&E nalgene is a shade lighter blue and has a blue top with OD paracord lanyard.

So my advice is to keep sinkers and loose hook/lures inside its own little container in the canteen but remove this when in use even if you don't intend to drink from it. Prepackaged hooks are ok but other items will rattle around during line reeling and casting. The little pill bottle keeps these under control when taken out.

Paragon

Re: Re:

Post by Paragon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:34 am

Woods Walker wrote:So my advice is to keep sinkers and loose hook/lures inside its own little container in the canteen but remove this when in use even if you don't intend to drink from it. Prepackaged hooks are ok but other items will rattle around during line reeling and casting. The little pill bottle keeps these under control when taken out.
My thoughts exactly...

I'm a little concerned that I won't be able to easily get my Survival Gill Net through the opening of a standard 1L Nalgene water bottle (or more appropriately, out of the bottle once it's in there) although perhaps I can rewrap it so it's a bit longer with a smaller outside diameter.

I also was thinking last night that once I make the decision to dedicate a Nalgene bottle to fishing use only, I somewhat loose the multi-function practicality (of using something I'm carrying already) and therefore might do better to choose an alternative "reel". Ultimately, I guess there is nothing written in stone that says just because this water bottle will end up smelling of earthworms/lake water/dead fish doesn't mean it couldn't be pressed back into service for additional water storage if necessary.

Being the gear whore that I am, I constantly need to remind myself that wilderness survival in the ZPAW isn't an extended camping trip -- I really have to get past the idea that it is supposed to be comfortable and enjoyable.

Jim

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Here are a few sunfish caught during a weekend camping trip using the BOB canteen fishing system.

This is what I did to the above fish. :D

Colockum
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Colockum » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:40 pm

I think it looks like a great update to the soda can idea! Even better is seeing people using this method who (presumably) have fishing licenses! Unfortunately in my area, the only time I have seen this system employed is by migrant workers here to pick the orchards. They can and do catch fish, but do not have a license to do so. If the game dept. shows up, the can is easily thrown away into the bushes. Glad to see a positive use of the technique!

Cheers!
-Colockum

kahoots

Post by kahoots » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 pm

http://www.hadfield.ca/Gear/spool.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another cool mini fishing idea I though people may enjoy.
Head Zombie (yelling): What do we want?!
Zombie clan: BRRRAAAAIIIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!
Head Zombie: When do we want it?!
Zombie clan: BRRRAAAAIIIIINNNNSSSSS!!!!

ConchRepublic

Post by ConchRepublic » Mon May 18, 2009 4:09 pm

I actually found a similar way to make something small and compact. I have experience catching rather large fish while deep sea fishing in the keys with a contraption called a "Cuban Reel". A Cuban Reel (or Yo-Yo) is pretty much just a spool of lined that has either a knocker rig ( a hook with an egg with that is free moving and can rest at the hook when hanging) or something which I use which is 3 feet of line between the hook and a swivel with a weight after the swivel. I decided to make something similar to this by using a small spool of line, a small egg weight, and either a fly, bare fly hook, small jig, or a snell. Usually with a Cuban Reel you need a "sleeve" on your finger (I usually use a piece of light rubber tubing) but for one that is made for pan fish you don't really need one. Here are some pictures of what I have and I can say I've caught quite a few pan fish and also caught killifish that I use for bait when I go out to the Gulf of Mexico. I did have a larger version for larger fish such as bass and saltwater game fish but last time I went to the pier to fish for mangrove snapper someone must have taken it as I was using a cast net to catch bait :x .

Sorry about blurry images but they're from my phone as my camera is currently FUBAR.

The whole kit

Size of hook and weight I used

All packaged up in a water proof bag

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:31 am

Woods Walker wrote:
Gee thanks, now I am hungry!
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:05 am

You could always use that Nalgene as float if you wanted to jug for catfish.

Sort of like a trotline in that you don't actually have to be there to rustle up some protein.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Aceman
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shock Waves, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Shawn of the Dead - oh heck - I like them all!

Post by Aceman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Inspirational thread! I have been seriously thinking about adding fishing capabilities.

The Nalgene bottle looks awesome - just need line, hooks, and shot!

In a pinch though, you can dig for worms and grubs, and use a stick for a bobber.

And of course, having a knife means the ability to make a three pronged spear!

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:33 am

Awesome thread WW. I'd missed it all this time.

Your photobucket pics are dead though. :(
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Jaxathon

Post by Jaxathon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:12 pm

I plan on doing something like this on my next kayaking trip. Though I have an Idea for a wood rod instead of using my nalgene in such a way =p.

Gotta go forage in the woods for a suitable piece of wood to work with.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:40 pm

Hmm, I glad someone bumped this thread! I missed it, and suddenly have an overcomplicated idea I shall waste money on refining... :idea:

Jaxathon

Post by Jaxathon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:06 pm

AgentBlack wrote:Hmm, I glad someone bumped this thread! I missed it, and suddenly have an overcomplicated idea I shall waste money on refining... :idea:
Well dont leave me guessing! I had an idea on a collapsable reel-less fishing system Though I am not all that good with putting my ideas into action =p

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Thu May 31, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks Woods Walker. This is a great idea. My son and I made him a little pocket fishing kit from a small tube (it's about 6" long and 1/2" in diameter) that's small enough for his hands but not big enough for much tackle inside. We added hooks, weights, a couple of leaders, monofilament and bank line and a little duct tape, but there's not enough room for a bobber or lures/flies. He wants to try using a tree branch so I added a couple of eye hooks for him but that seems overly complicated to me.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... 100536.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love this idea. Thanks!
Last edited by bacpacjac on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Thu May 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Woods walker - I'd seen this done as a kid so long ago I'd completely forgotten about it.

Think they were using little Tic-Tac candy containers. Ok just found this link for that mini gear solution
http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/how-lig ... ing-tackle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway I just went out to the trash and rescued a bottle for the new BOB fishing kit. As mentioned above storing the extra lures inside
seems like a good plan. I cut a piece of foam to act as a cork to keep the extras inside while fishing.
Thank you for this idea.
My new rig.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:06 am

Looks great now get out there and catch a fish! :)

Return to “Bug Out Gear”