Stimulant of choice

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Re: Stimulant of choice

Post by Sun Yeti » Wed May 10, 2017 12:23 pm

I (very occasionally) make use of 'genius brand' extended release caffeine capsules. It seems to moderate the caffeine release in the same way as drinking a sip of strong tea every minute or two over the course of several hours, but of course it's much more portable in the form of a tiny pill.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed May 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Personally I keep instant coffee, phenylaphrine, and loratadine in my essentials bag in my cooler or pack. The latter are OTC decongestants that will keep me up all night long if taken as prescribed. At home I keep the above as well as caffeine tabs.

Coffee Thins, a caffeinated chocolate, are also delightful.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed May 10, 2017 1:06 pm

cv66er wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Towanda wrote:Coffee. Irish Breakfast tea. Caffeinated mints (I like Penguin). In a pinch, weather permitting, I could dig up and toast, grind, and brew some dandelion roots.
Dandelion Roots? Wow- I didn't know they had caffeine. Thanks!
They don't. Like Postum, they're a caffeine free coffee substitute. Does Yaupon Holly grow in your area? That does contain caffeine.

Not naturally.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Wed May 10, 2017 7:34 pm

cv66er wrote:
Towanda wrote:Coffee. Irish Breakfast tea. Caffeinated mints (I like Penguin). In a pinch, weather permitting, I could dig up and toast, grind, and brew some dandelion roots.
Dandelion Roots? Wow- I didn't know they had caffeine. Thanks!
They don't. Like Postum, they're a caffeine free coffee substitute. Does Yaupon Holly grow in your area? That does contain caffeine.

Not naturally.
Some other hollys contain caffeine, but do your research. Many also contain other, less deairable substances; emetics, laxatives, toxins, etc. Yaupon Holly was thought to be an emetic. That's where it gets it's name, Ilex Vomitoria. It may be in stron enough doses.

2now

Post by 2now » Sat May 13, 2017 12:15 pm

I try to put caffeine pills in all my FAKs in addition to other OTC meds. The limiting factor is usually weight or dollars, for me. Caffeine pills give lots of value per ounce or per dollar. They are also hard to make in a field expedient way.

I often have been drinking too much coffee at work. I have felt the "spike in my forehead" feeling from stopping caffeine cold turkey. That really impacts you ability to do anything!

So I try to have enough to detox, if I think that is necessary, or to help keep me or someone else awake. I can easily see a bug out situation that would make more time behind the wheel or time spent on watch that I wanted to be time spent sleeping, worth planning for.
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 13, 2017 4:22 pm

I have noticed that people on meth don't care about anything or anyone and yet are solid unkillable survivors. Meth is illegal of course but there are a lot of feeder drugs like prescription amphetamine Schedule IV diet pills that are essentially meth (-).

So in a PAW situation if you had a legal prescription for meth diet pills these would be ideal. You would not care that the world was FUBAR, all you would want is more diet pills. Your biological cravings for sleep, food, personal hygiene, human companionship would all be greatly reduced or disappear. You would remain in a hyperactive state and maybe even be hyper attentive.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sat May 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Stercutus wrote:I have noticed that people on meth don't care about anything or anyone and yet are solid unkillable survivors. Meth is illegal of course but there are a lot of feeder drugs like prescription amphetamine Schedule IV diet pills that are essentially meth (-).

So in a PAW situation if you had a legal prescription for meth diet pills these would be ideal. You would not care that the world was FUBAR, all you would want is more diet pills. Your biological cravings for sleep, food, personal hygiene, human companionship would all be greatly reduced or disappear. You would remain in a hyperactive state and maybe even be hyper attentive.
Maybe so, but I don't think it would be the stimulant of choice for anyone not already addicted to meth. Far too hefty a price on the backside.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

moab

Post by moab » Sun May 14, 2017 1:14 am

My tea of choice is Trader Joes Black Mango Tea. It's so good. And just the right amount of caffeine. I get awake but not jittery.

I used to use a French Press. And man I could get high off coffee! But it uses a lot of coffee grounds. So it's kind a out of the question.

Narcotic stimulants would be nice. What is that fighter pilots use? Speed? But the consequences are just to great. Lawwise and body and mind wise. Although I do have old prescription meds for pain. That I keep in my INCH bag and my BOB. If your talking value. I think this is the sweet spot between weight and worth. Certainly worth more than their weight in gold. I think carrying gold is so ridiculous. I just don't see people putting faith into anything other than what they can use. And right now. Commodities will be sex, food, ammo, weapons, water, medical supplies including meds and just about anything you could use to stay alive. Clothing? Shelter? The list goes on. But I just don't see people going "Oh ya pretty rock. Let me give you something that could have kept me warm tonight!". Ya know? lol. And something completely almost not related - I wonder how important a tiny digital scale would be worth in a PAW?

I've never tried caffeine tablets. What are those like?

I'd like to try some other instant coffees like the G7. If anyone comes across any new ones. I'd love to hear about them. would love to compare. I think someone did post one. I'll have to check that out.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun May 14, 2017 1:27 am

moab wrote:I've never tried caffeine tablets. What are those like?
I've taken a few over the years. Most of them come in the form of a tablet to be swallowed whole. The ones I just purchased are a capsule with powder in it. I like this form because it's easy to put in a liquid and drink over time. I've never felt the "crash" they say you get from energy drinks, soda, or caffeine but I like to spread it out overtime and not just take a huge hit at once
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

none1

Post by none1 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:23 pm

ECA = Ephedra, Caffeine, Aspirin, they work together to give a stimulant impact that also lasts longer. Ephedra is still perfectly legal in most states, check for Bronkaid at most any drugstore. Nodoze and such caffeine pills are also available at most drugstores. BC powder is a convenient form of aspirin+caffeine. I've usually got ECA + benadryl or zyrtec in a bag, in case of allergy issues, but, works if you need a stimulant too. ECA can also dehydrate you pretty good, so need to up the water intake.
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun May 14, 2017 8:33 pm

none1 wrote:ECA = Ephedra, Caffeine, Aspirin, they work together to give a stimulant impact that also lasts longer. Ephedra is still perfectly legal in most states, check for Bronkaid at most any drugstore. Nodoze and such caffeine pills are also available at most drugstores. BC powder is a convenient form of aspirin+caffeine. I've usually got ECA + benadryl or zyrtec in a bag, in case of allergy issues, but, works if you need a stimulant too. ECA can also dehydrate you pretty good, so need to up the water intake.
Ephedra works ok, but it's nothing like the old mini-thins used to be :/ . A few of us would use the EAC stack before workouts, gave a hell of a boost. Also raised heart rate a good bit, along with metabolic rate and temperature. I think the term was "Thermogenic" or something like that. It was what the first few forms of "Stacker" and the other truck driver stimulants were made of.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 14, 2017 8:40 pm

That stuff gave me PVC's.

Green tea and certain coffee blends do as well. Strangely I can drink three Monsters a day and not a blip.
You go over and under
I go through

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sun May 14, 2017 9:09 pm

Unfortunately, I hate coffee. I can't stand the bitterness and see no point in turning it into what is essentially a milkshake to force it down like some people do. So, it is mainly caffeinated sodas (not really viable in a PAW or even really for bugging out), tea, and caffeine pills when I really need to a pick me up (like back when I was doing all-nighters in grad school). The pills worked great for me, but I really didn't feel like it was a good idea to start making them part of my daily routine.

That being said, Towanda, I am interested in those caffeinated mints. Looks like the Penguin brand has 3 mints equaling the caffeine of a 12 oz soda? How well do they work compared to other sources of caffeine and do they seem to make you shaky?
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun May 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Stercutus wrote:That stuff gave me PVC's.

Green tea and certain coffee blends do as well. Strangely I can drink three Monsters a day and not a blip.
I never had that reaction, though I know a few who did. The last time I used it ~2k3ish? We were working 6x12s at the plant (For freaking 6 months) and most of us made the decision that we'd rather be wired than sleepy around equipment that could kill. Even the resident "I'm not taking anything, blah, blah, blah" was pounding Mt Dew and caffeine pills at the end. One thing that I did notice is that after about 2 weeks my body would adjust to it, and I wouldn't get the kick anymore. A few upped their dosages, to counter that, I went the other route and would stop taking it for a few days. After a few days off, I could take them again for the energy. Never got used to the crash from it, but could plan for it. The handful of times I've popped a 5hr energy, I was grateful for the buffers and easy up and down...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sun May 14, 2017 10:44 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Stercutus wrote:That stuff gave me PVC's.

I never had that reaction, though I know a few who did. The last time I used it ~2k3ish? We were working 6x12s at the plant (For freaking 6 months) and most of us made the decision that we'd rather be wired than sleepy around equipment that could kill. Even the resident "I'm not taking anything, blah, blah, blah" was pounding Mt Dew and caffeine pills at the end. One thing that I did notice is that after about 2 weeks my body would adjust to it, and I wouldn't get the kick anymore. A few upped their dosages, to counter that, I went the other route and would stop taking it for a few days. After a few days off, I could take them again for the energy. Never got used to the crash from it, but could plan for it. The handful of times I've popped a 5hr energy, I was grateful for the buffers and easy up and down...
I drink a vast amount of coffee everyday and have done so for more than a few decades so I don't really get a boost from caffeine.
I mean I drink my coffee black, I drink it hot, I drink it when it's gotten cold in the mug, I drink it when I'm outside and it's over 100F out, and I'll drink it 20 minutes before bed without any problems falling asleep. My co-workers have suggested a caffeine lick along the lines of the salt licks for livestock. I think it's safe to say my tolerance for this particularly drug is very high.
So no "pick me up effect" for me, it's more like I slowly wind to a stop without it.

If I need a stimulant to stay awake I'll need something else.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 am

Ellywick wrote:That being said, Towanda, I am interested in those caffeinated mints. Looks like the Penguin brand has 3 mints equaling the caffeine of a 12 oz soda? How well do they work compared to other sources of caffeine and do they seem to make you shaky?
I've never experienced any shakiness and they work pretty well for me. YMMV.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 15, 2017 4:22 am

There is also Pocket Coffee if you like that kind of thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrero-1418-Poc ... et+coffees

They are popular in parts of Europe.
You go over and under
I go through

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon May 15, 2017 9:24 am

" My co-workers have suggested a caffeine lick along the lines of the salt licks for livestock"

Pretty funny. By any change, are you former Navy?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 am

TacAir wrote:" My co-workers have suggested a caffeine lick along the lines of the salt licks for livestock"

Pretty funny. By any change, are you former Navy?
:lol:
Army Tanker, 19K, aka DAT/CDAT :lol: :lol:

Just curious, what made you think Navy?

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Mon May 15, 2017 3:26 pm

I keep Primatene tabs and BC powders in my GHB for an ECA stack. I also have a small bottle of Nescafe Clasico instant coffee in there because even bad coffee is such a soul healer. :crazy:

I mix Cafe du Monde and Chock Full of Nuts 50/50 and run it through the old perculator on weekends. Weekdays its whichever is ready at the Quiktrip in the morning.
Boldly going nowhere

springer

Post by springer » Tue May 16, 2017 5:57 am

My preference is caffeinated crystal light. It's widely available at most grocery stores. It has the same caffeine content as coffee. You can drink a lot of it fast and it doesn't give me heartburn like coffee does. It speeds up my breakfast on the trail, I don't fire up the stove in the morning anymore. Drink a quart of it with a granola bar and I am good to go.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Tue May 16, 2017 6:22 am

And this pops up in the news...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 16, 2017 6:27 am

Zimmy wrote:I keep Primatene tabs and BC powders in my GHB for an ECA stack. I also have a small bottle of Nescafe Clasico instant coffee in there because even bad coffee is such a soul healer. :crazy:

I mix Cafe du Monde and Chock Full of Nuts 50/50 and run it through the old perculator on weekends. Weekdays its whichever is ready at the Quiktrip in the morning.
The medical pros tell me BC powder is a tool of Satan.
You go over and under
I go through

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Tue May 16, 2017 7:02 am

Stercutus wrote:
Zimmy wrote:I keep Primatene tabs and BC powders in my GHB for an ECA stack. I also have a small bottle of Nescafe Clasico instant coffee in there because even bad coffee is such a soul healer. :crazy:

The medical pros tell me BC powder is a tool of Satan.
Probably from the same level of Hell as MSG and artificial sweeteners.
Boldly going nowhere

Return to “Bug Out Gear”