Stimulant of choice

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Stimulant of choice

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 08, 2017 1:10 pm

So what do you pack for stimulants meth, cocaine, adderall, caffeine are my choices. But only one is legal so that's wha we are talking about.

I recently gave up pop (soda), energy drinks (coffee too but I don't like coffee), and for the most part alcohol. I replaced it all with just plain ol water. I noticed my that I was still dragging after a couple weeks and decided to reintroduce caffeine, but how? I looked around and saw all these things that have caffeine also have a lot of sugar or I just plain don't like the taste. So I hopped on Amazon and found caffeine capsule (I think they got rid of the straight powder they used to sell).

Each capsule has 200mg of caffeine. While I have no problem taking a pill, I wanted it to be dissolved in water. These allow me to add caffeine to just water and I can add one to my 32oz water bottle and have a small dose over a period of time. This worked wonders! I wasn't as sluggish in the morning, I got that brain activity moving and the day will be alright.

Well I was thinking about this and thought, if we were bugging out and needed a pick me up, these are small enough keep a few in a medic pouch or pill bottle. It's smaller than coffee grounds, or instant coffee. A lot lighter than packing redbulls or 5hr energy.

Plus if you were bugging in, you could keep a small stash of them (pack of 300 cost me $7.50 or so) for very little money and a much smaller than trying to hoard tins of coffee.

Anyone else keep a stock of your stimulant of choice?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Re: Stimulant of choice

Post by LowKey » Mon May 08, 2017 1:58 pm

I keep my normal stock of coffee just to ensure I don't run out on any given day, but given the quantities I drink there is really no way I could even attempt to carry even 7 days worth of my normal consumption in a BOB.

While you mentioned you don't like all the added sugar you found in many caffeine supplements, if you like chocolate you may like something I ran across recently. Scho-ka-kola. It's a brand of German chocolate that comes in a small tin, the recipe essentially unchanged since the 1920's. It has a bit of a coffee flavor underneath the taste of dark chocolate, and it has much higher levels of caffeine than normal chocolates. At one point it was issued to German troops in combat to give them fast energy and keep them alert. Might not be a bad thing to toss a tin or two into a BOB.

Now if you wanted my opinion on what stimulant I would want to carry, assuming I had the proper RX after being medically examined , I'd say Dexedrine. Not as a morning pick me up, but used in an emergency when you needed to keep functioning far past the point where fatigue would have otherwise rendered you unable to function.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon May 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Halfapint wrote:So what do you pack for stimulants meth, cocaine, adderall, caffeine are my choices. But only one is legal so that's wha we are talking about.

I recently gave up pop (soda), energy drinks (coffee too but I don't like coffee), and for the most part alcohol. I replaced it all with just plain ol water. I noticed my that I was still dragging after a couple weeks and decided to reintroduce caffeine, but how? I looked around and saw all these things that have caffeine also have a lot of sugar or I just plain don't like the taste. So I hopped on Amazon and found caffeine capsule (I think they got rid of the straight powder they used to sell).

Each capsule has 200mg of caffeine. While I have no problem taking a pill, I wanted it to be dissolved in water. These allow me to add caffeine to just water and I can add one to my 32oz water bottle and have a small dose over a period of time. This worked wonders! I wasn't as sluggish in the morning, I got that brain activity moving and the day will be alright.

Well I was thinking about this and thought, if we were bugging out and needed a pick me up, these are small enough keep a few in a medic pouch or pill bottle. It's smaller than coffee grounds, or instant coffee. A lot lighter than packing redbulls or 5hr energy.

Plus if you were bugging in, you could keep a small stash of them (pack of 300 cost me $7.50 or so) for very little money and a much smaller than trying to hoard tins of coffee.

We stockpile coffee as part of our preps, but not for use.

It is one of 3 substances that can be legally and easily obtained that a majority of adults are addicted to. All 3 substances also have a long shelf life if stored properly. The other 2 would be liquor and tobacco.

But coffee is very cheap.

We store it specifically as a bartering item. I'm not above manipulating someone's addiction to get resources in a PAW.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

grennels

Post by grennels » Mon May 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Halfapint wrote:So what do you pack for stimulants meth, cocaine, adderall, caffeine are my choices. But only one is legal so that's wha we are talking about.

It is one of 3 substances that can be legally and easily obtained that a majority of adults are addicted to. All 3 substances also have a long shelf life if stored properly. The other 2 would be liquor and tobacco.

We store it specifically as a bartering item. I'm not above manipulating someone's addiction to get resources in a PAW.

Additionally liquor and tobacco can be produced locally. Coffee can not.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon May 08, 2017 6:00 pm

grennels wrote:

Additionally liquor and tobacco can be produced locally. Coffee can not.
True, true!

So can other things that are totally illegal now but could be produced and used for useful and also not so useful things in a PAW.

I hope I'm not going too far- but with Half leading off with Meth and Cocaine, I think I'm alright. :awesome:

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:17 pm

Stimulant you say?
Just take a big whiff of hand sanitizer, it worked in medic school :crazy:

I must admit that I actually like my daily dose of poison known as Mtn Dew, I'll be building a fort out of it after we finish moving into our house, I've never smoked or drank so it's the one poison I get to enjoy. But I need to look into those caffeine pills and the German chocolate.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Mon May 08, 2017 6:18 pm

I keep a stock of Instant Espresso. I know, instant Espresso is blasphemy, but the flavor and caffeine level are higher than regular instant coffee so you don't need to carry as much for the same kick.

That being said, for me it's usually more important as an appetite suppressant than a stimulant.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon May 08, 2017 6:23 pm

I have some Rx stuff because of some Rx issues. But I"m weaning myself away from that and will likely move away from stimulants towards managing things in different ways.

On the other hand, I love coffee. I have a tough time when I can't have coffee. My BOB has instant coffee and I have a 32 cup container to keep me on my feet for a bit. That way I can gradually reduce my intake to reduce the effect of caffeine withdrawal.

I also figure in some PAW I'd be able to offer some coffee to people who approach the camp, or whose camp I wish to approach. I believe in the power of food and beverages to foster good will between peoples.

Also cool is the caffinated gum. I really love that stuff but I don't have any stocks right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Energy-G ... B0017O19Q2
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon May 08, 2017 6:36 pm

I've been wondering this question too.

Strike Force is a fairly portable energy drink replacement, but so far the packaging has not been sturdy enough.

I found a powdered electrolyte/energy drink at a trade show once as well (gatoraid/crystal light ish) that I liked, but I can't seem to find the name of it.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Mon May 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Postum (instant coffee) or Tazo Awake(augmented breakfast tea). English or Irish Breakfast teas tend to have the most kick, and strongest taste, of the naturally occurring teas.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon May 08, 2017 7:40 pm

I'll typically grab a single cup of coffee in the AM just to get everything moving. Added stimulants during the day if I need it is usually some type of cola. However that being said, a number of years ago when I was working swing shift, I would take the 'old' mini-thins. 15mg ephedrine. The good stuff, not the new synthetic stuff. Wired you like crazy. Unfortunately the drop at the end was sharp as well... I still have a bottle or 2 from then I keep for LOooonnng drives, etc... Have it in my GHB...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:41 pm

while I'm at home: freshly ground coffee

when I'm in the field: bagged ground coffee (turkish coffee style)

when I'm walking and can't have coffee: find a lovely "cool" mountain stream and wash my face in the fresh water (no soap of course!)
*WARNING* My actions are for tropical conditions, your results may vary!
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Water, on the rocks. (shaken not stirred ). :lol:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon May 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Caffeine though all stimulants ultimately makes me weaker. I think caffeine makes it harder to regulate body temperature in the cold or at least it feels that way. Won't even start on what booze and smokes do.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon May 08, 2017 10:39 pm

SCBrian wrote:...the 'old' mini-thins. 15mg ephedrine. The good stuff, not the new synthetic stuff. Wired you like crazy. Unfortunately the drop at the end was sharp as well... I still have a bottle or 2 from then I keep for LOooonnng drives, etc... Have it in my GHB...
I'm jealous. :lol:
I wish those were still available. Not only wired you up, but seemed to do a great job of opening up your lungs if you'd been dealing with any bronchial issues, and also seemed to knock out a lot of allergy symptoms (itching, rashes, swelling).
Sadly it can be used to manufacture something else by people with a basic knowledge of chemistry so it's not available anymore.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Found it, Heka Energy:

http://hekaenergy.com/

Don't mind the awful website, it tastes better then most powdered drinks I've tried.

Tea is my go-do on a daily basis, and is very portable. my favorite form was tea pearls. Just throw a few in a cup, drink around them and huck the leaves. No tea bag to pack out and no diffuser/strainer needed.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Allanah

Post by Allanah » Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 pm

I have a prescription for phentermine which keeps me wired and focused all day and makes me forget that food is a thing that exists.

As far as ephedrine goes, you can still find it OTC in Primatene tablets for asthma which are available in Florida. Not sure about other states. They are a combo drug with guaifenesin (12.5mg/200mg), though.

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Tue May 09, 2017 6:08 am

Close_enough wrote:Postum (instant coffee)
Unless they changed the formula, you won't get much of a kick from Postum. It contains no caffeine at all, just toasted grains and molasses.

I'm a two pot of coffee a day man myself. SHTF, I may be looking up Hiroshima_Morphine to do some bartering.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue May 09, 2017 6:24 am

For a quick boost, caffeine is probably the most used. I have always kept some in my 1st Aid kit, travel kit and glove compartment for those times when I need to be alert. With everyone texting or talking while driving these days, it's not healthy to be fighting fatigue. Caffeine gives a push though, and can cause shakiness and irritability. If you want to stay alert without that push there is Provigil, which does not stimulate much but instead just makes you forget about sleeping.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue May 09, 2017 9:47 am

Coffee, Coffee, coffee, and coffee. I have it available in all forms and everywhere, bags, car, home, work etc.

If I'm drained after depleting my adrenaline reserves with all that coffee, 5 hour energy for anything requiring several hours focus time. Keep that stuff everywhere.

I also pack bakers chocolate as it is 'sturdy' and travels well. Provides nice boost of morale and energy.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue May 09, 2017 1:06 pm

cv66er wrote:
Close_enough wrote:Postum (instant coffee)
Unless they changed the formula, you won't get much of a kick from Postum. It contains no caffeine at all, just toasted grains and molasses.

I'm a two pot of coffee a day man myself. SHTF, I may be looking up Hiroshima_Morphine to do some bartering.
Nuts. I'll have to find a new dry stimulant.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Tue May 09, 2017 11:01 pm

Coffee. Irish Breakfast tea. Caffeinated mints (I like Penguin). In a pinch, weather permitting, I could dig up and toast, grind, and brew some dandelion roots.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed May 10, 2017 5:10 am

Towanda wrote:Coffee. Irish Breakfast tea. Caffeinated mints (I like Penguin). In a pinch, weather permitting, I could dig up and toast, grind, and brew some dandelion roots.
Dandelion Roots? Wow- I didn't know they had caffeine. Thanks!

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 am

Towanda wrote:Coffee. Irish Breakfast tea. Caffeinated mints (I like Penguin). In a pinch, weather permitting, I could dig up and toast, grind, and brew some dandelion roots.
Dandelion Roots? Wow- I didn't know they had caffeine. Thanks!
They don't. Like Postum, they're a caffeine free coffee substitute. Does Yaupon Holly grow in your area? That does contain caffeine.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”