Inexpensive ruck options

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Inexpensive ruck options

Post by jaowens76 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm

I have a little one on the way and can not justify a gr1,Kifaru, or eberlstock. I try and get at least one ruck march in a week. What are some of the better low cost options out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonnyRonin

Re: Inexpensive ruck options

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:07 pm

USMC ILBE is about the best bang for the buck right now. $50 or less will get you a complete pack if you shop around. a few mods are required to make it work well but they are cheap and easy.

what are you using currently?

how tall are you?

what kind of capacity are you looking for?
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Check out Outdoor Products. Value priced because they are sold in KMart and Walmart. Best part, a life-time no questions asked guarantee. I mailed in the broke one and they send me a new one.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:34 am

RonnyRonin wrote:USMC ILBE is about the best bang for the buck right now. $50 or less will get you a complete pack if you shop around. a few mods are required to make it work well but they are cheap and easy.

what are you using currently?

how tall are you?

what kind of capacity are you looking for?
I currently use a camelback something or other I snagged off of woot a couple of years back iirc it is a 24l pack. It works fine but the bottom of the ribs my lower back oddly, even when the straps are tightened. Granted I have a 20#kb in there so the ride may be of entirely due to that.
5' 8"
Roughly 30l capacity would be ideal. Would definitely prefer a sternum strap as well.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 am

Well the ALICE is officially about 34 liters. It needs sternum straps, but those can be made quickly and cheaply. If using the frame I find it can support up to 45-50 lbs fairly comfortably. I have often done ~5 miles at 45 lbs. I recently did 7.5 miles at 30 lbs and could have upped it to 40 lbs pretty comfortably. I have done some modifications to the ALICE (simple and cheap, just use a sleeping pad, duct tape, and paracord). My body also seems made for the ALICE. There are many complaints out there from people who do not have bodies the ALICE was designed to fit.

The ALICE does not need the frame to work, and with out the frame would ride more similarly to what you are using.

The ILBE will be around 70-73 liters, and with the assault pack would be around 95 liters. With some quick mods suggested by RonnyRonin my ILBE rides MUCH more comfortably than it did in it's stock Marine Corps configuration. At 50-55 lbs it is fairly comfortable for 5 miles. I"m learning to push those weights higher and further.

The MOLLE II assault pack seems to be popular and is 38 liters, but I don't have any experience with them.

I prefer framed packs with waist belts. I now prefer not to let all the weight hang from my shoulders if I can. I have been advised the body receives less damage if weight is put on the hips rather than the shoulders. This advice seems to be spot on.

I have had to learn pack design from the ground up. I did not grow up with this stuff, and so there has been a learning curve for me with both the ALICE and the ILBE. I can share any mods I have done. Everything has been simple and cheap.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 am

Stick with a known brand, and if you value your spine, make sure the pack has a weight-bearing hip-belt. Campmor has great deals, and these are decent brands:

https://www.campmor.com/c/gregory-z65-i ... backpack-1
https://www.campmor.com/c/jansport-klamath-55-backpack
https://www.campmor.com/c/osprey-volt-7 ... ack---mens

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:17 pm

Decide what gear you need first, then gear that you really, seriously think would be a good idea to have, then get a pack around that. A lot of people get a pack first, & it doesn't always work well that way.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm

How much do you want to spend? Does military surplus bother you? I'd say ALICE medium or ILBE. Both are around 50 bucks shipped. Maybe a little cheaper on the alice.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:12 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Decide what gear you need first, then gear that you really, seriously think would be a good idea to have, then get a pack around that. A lot of people get a pack first, & it doesn't always work well that way.
I have a 50l hiking pack already, looking for something smaller, super durable for use during weekly ruck's and a go ruck challenge or two.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:14 pm

moab wrote:How much do you want to spend? Does military surplus bother you? I'd say ALICE medium or ILBE. Both are around 50 bucks shipped. Maybe a little cheaper on the alice.

Moab I will look into both. I humped an Alice for 8 years and know it's strengths and weaknesses. School me on the ILBE?

moab

Post by moab » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:30 pm

jaowens76 wrote:
moab wrote:How much do you want to spend? Does military surplus bother you? I'd say ALICE medium or ILBE. Both are around 50 bucks shipped. Maybe a little cheaper on the alice.

Moab I will look into both. I humped an Alice for 8 years and know it's strengths and weaknesses. School me on the ILBE?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improved_ ... _Equipment

https://www.amazon.com/USMC-Digital-MAR ... B007JEEG8W

First link is info. Second link is a pic. Ignore that outlandish price. Check ebay for the best prices or google surplus stores.

Basically it's the first modern commercial style pack produced and used by the military. USMC to be exact. It's a bit on the heavy side. But can be trimmed down. But for $50 or so. It's a great deal. You can spend $150 (on sale) on a bit lighter commercial pack. But it won't be as rugged. It also comes with the usual assault pack (extra), radio pouch and other add ons you can buy. Make sure you get one with a top lid and all parts. Some are sold sans the top lid.

Theres a great thread on trimming the weight of one in the bugout gear section.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:22 pm

none1

Post by none1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

I recommend the used ILBE, its an arcteryx design (beefy version of the Bora?). It has plenty of space, is very durable, excellent modern suspension. And its very heavy. High denier fabric = heavier and more durable. Big enough for a week, really big for just a 72 hour BOB.

This one is on sale right now, 48L good suspension $120.
https://www.rei.com/b/rei-co-op/c/hikin ... cks&page=2

Also shop around for kelty redwing ... it doesnt have a great suspension, but its fair, takes a beating, usually $100, woot had them yesterday for $65. I see these on airplanes a lot.

I'm not as big a fan of Alice for just a ruck ... the belt is not designed to be a weight bearing belt on your hips. Alice is meant to be more on your shoulders, and, is meant to be used with the LBE military belt and suspenders, so you would carry much of your gear weight on the belt, and the alice belt would be up higher than the belt. That said, I do use the belt + alice set up for weekend trips sometimes. I don't think they compare to the ILBE, but, on a budget, I've recommended $40 alice over $100 ILBE to beginners in the past.
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:31 am

Hey everyone, quick question. What would be some real elite, top-of-the-line rucks? Just curious.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:02 am

MPMalloy wrote:Hey everyone, quick question. What would be some real elite, top-of-the-line rucks? Just curious.
Depends on if you are looking for "transfers weight to the hips" or "hangs from the shoulders."

For something that only hangs from the shoulders, the SpecOps T.H.E. pack seems to come very highly recommended. I have not used it personally, but it seems well liked all over the internet.

For something that transfers weight to the hips, I'd look at the Mystery Ranch NICE frame and suspension system. You get the frame and suspension and add whatever pack you like that can fit it. I have not personally used the NICE frame/suspension, but again, it has an incredible reputation.

I"ve been hearing good things about the FILBE pack and suspension. I think the MR NICE frame/suspension is supposed to be better, but the FILBE is supposed to be very good. You can pull the FILBE pack off and add other packs to the frame.

So those are my thoughts and responses to your question. Basically worth about $.02

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:05 am

MPMalloy wrote:Hey everyone, quick question. What would be some real elite, top-of-the-line rucks? Just curious.

Mystery Ranch and Kifaru shared the title of TOP tier in the hunting and tactical space for quite some time, very little dissent there.

Stone Glacier, EXO mountain gear, Seek Outside and Kuiu have been added to the list on the hunting side of things, which focuses on heavy load hauling and typically shuns the heavy parasitic modularity of tactical packs (including Kuiu is a tiny bit of a stretch, they lag behind in my estimation).

In the recreation space Dana Designs and vintage osprey bags ('90s vectors in particular) are held in high regard, I would say even higher then the typically solid gregorys, jansports, keltys and whatnot.
Arcteryx has held an odd position as continuing the heritage of Dana Designs in a way, with heavy tough packs, but they aren't for everyone.

In the tactical space Hill People Gear is right up there and has taken the wilderness rambler torch that kifaru has given up, and some of the arcteryx LEAF packs have gained a vocal fanbase.

There can be only one best of course, and that title goes with very few reservations to McHale packs.

In the realm of frameless/beltless packs there isn't much to discuss, it is more about what pocketing and colors you like. Short of the ones disqualified for being just plain terrible, and a few exceptional examples, they should be considered a commodity item with very little nuance to consider. In this space the HPG Umlindi is one of the exceptional examples, and would be at the top of my list for mid-sized shoulder carry packs.

woodsghost wrote:
I"ve been hearing good things about the FILBE pack and suspension. I think the MR NICE frame/suspension is supposed to be better, but the FILBE is supposed to be very good. You can pull the FILBE pack off and add other packs to the frame.
Have you used a MOLLE II frame? then you've used a FILBE. Except the FILBE is shorter and has less virtue as a freighter frame. The individual features of the FILBE are quite good, but by most measures fails miserably as a whole.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks Ronny! I have not used a MOLLE frame, but I have used the 1606AC frame with some generation of MOLLE straps and belt. It seems OK. Does the FILBE use the 1606 series frame?

Return to “Bug Out Gear”