Kifaru gear pricing

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gunner22

Kifaru gear pricing

Post by Gunner22 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:13 am

Is it just me or has the pricing of Kifaru gear gone down. I remember last year the reason I went with Eberlestock instead of Kifaru was pricing. Just looked at their website and my INCH bag could use some updating especially in the shelter area. Hard to beat a shelter and stove system for that price at that weight.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Kifaru gear pricing

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:10 am

Only way to be sure would be if you had screen shots to compare pricing of specific items over time. I know in the past year they changed at least the frame line up (dropped the "bikini", introduced the "ultralight"). It's possible by adjusting suppliers and purchase quantities they were able to restructure their pricing on the hole.

Still feels like quality gear, and I'm looking forward to fielding my new frame this weekend.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:35 am

The pricing has gotten a bit trickier as they now separate the base components of packs etc. For example often the price is for the bag alone and the frame is sold separate. I don't really agree with this methodology but that said like Patrick Smith and Kifaru.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Kifaru basically made a market segment and could name their price for awhile (not saying they where charging too much), but in recent years their competition has gone from a few garage/cottage companies to several large players gobbling up market share.

In shelters they now have to contend with Seek Outside, Ti Goat, and the few little guys like Wyoming LAF and Jimmy Tarps.

In packs Stone Glacier, Exo Mountain Gear, Kuiu and Seek Outside are all splitting up the backpack hunting market, Mystery Ranch has always been a contender and now basically owns the military/tactical space, and places like HPG have taken some of the tactical/backcountry people. In many ways the HPG forum is the heir to the spirit of the old Kifaru Forums.

It hasn't been Patrick Smith's company for awhile now, Aron Snyder has been running the hunting side for the last several years and as far as I know Patrick has handed the reigns off to a family member and retired. I don't care for their newer, flashier marketing and hunting focus, but it seems to have been successful for them. I think the constantly changing pack line has been stressful for customers but the market has simply changed a lot lately and it is probably good that they are open to change, industry rumors and some careful snooping on their facebook page implies they are going to be attacking the EDC/urban market more aggressively sometime soon.

I will say the new frame does appear to be better in nearly every way to the old duplex and bikini, and their new bag line has a little something for everyone. I would recommend carefully examining the entire market now though, as nearly every brand has a lot going for it and competition has led to a lot more options (honestly Kuiu is the only pack on the list I mentioned that I wouldn't heartily recommend).

As much as people pine for the old days of Osprey Vectors and Dana Designs, we are in the Golden Age of big-load packs and won't realize it till its gone.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”