$300+ gloves?!! Seriously?!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: $300+ gloves?!! Seriously?!

Post by teotwaki » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:55 pm

This picture was taken at at 20,320 feet and all that clothing I am wearing is ridiculous based solely on price, right?
In keeping with the intent of this thread here is how I will save money by purchasing more reasonably priced clothing.

Throw away my North Face down jacket ($650) and replace with a nice Columbia Men's Wood Creek Down Jacket ($90)

Throw away my North Face glove system with down mitts, WindStopper inner gloves and Powerstretch fleece liners ($250~$300) and replace with some Walmart Blackhawk ECW2 Winter Ops Gloves ($46)

Toss those plastic climbing boots ($450) with insulated overboots ($160) and replace with Walmart Ranger Flintlock III Zippered Winter Boot ($52)

Dump those Marmot down pants ($550)) and replace with Columbia Arctic Trip Omni-Tech Snowboard Pants ($90)

So already I have saved $1830 by getting rid of those ridiculously marked-up jacket, pants, gloves and boots by switching to more reasonably priced items from Walmart. Right? If I survive the -40 and lower temperatures I can hire four of the best hookers from Odaboat, Iowa to care for me after the doctors are finished amputating my frostbitten nose, ears, fingers, toes and maybe limbs....

Sarcasm aside, we cannot condemn anything based only upon our perception of the value versus the price. I am a shopaholic and hate to pay full price for anything. However, I am not going to risk life nor limb based on avoiding purchase of any item based solely on the asking price. Do I need these things for snowboardig at Vail? Nope. Mountain climbing demands the best you can get for your money.

Buy the equipment appropriate for the need. Pay the price if you can afford it. If not then switch activities.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

B9ev
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by B9ev » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:22 pm

^great example. I bet that was a fun experience.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:35 am

teotwaki wrote:Image

This picture was taken at at 20,320 feet and all that clothing I am wearing is ridiculous based solely on price, right?
In keeping with the intent of this thread here is how I will save money by purchasing more reasonably priced clothing.

Throw away my North Face down jacket ($650) and replace with a nice Columbia Men's Wood Creek Down Jacket ($90)

Throw away my North Face glove system with down mitts, WindStopper inner gloves and Powerstretch fleece liners ($250~$300) and replace with some Walmart Blackhawk ECW2 Winter Ops Gloves ($46)

Toss those plastic climbing boots ($450) with insulated overboots ($160) and replace with Walmart Ranger Flintlock III Zippered Winter Boot ($52)

Dump those Marmot down pants ($550)) and replace with Columbia Arctic Trip Omni-Tech Snowboard Pants ($90)

So already I have saved $1830 by getting rid of those ridiculously marked-up jacket, pants, gloves and boots by switching to more reasonably priced items from Walmart. Right? If I survive the -40 and lower temperatures I can hire four of the best hookers from Odaboat, Iowa to care for me after the doctors are finished amputating my frostbitten nose, ears, fingers, toes and maybe limbs....

Sarcasm aside, we cannot condemn anything based only upon our perception of the value versus the price. I am a shopaholic and hate to pay full price for anything. However, I am not going to risk life nor limb based on avoiding purchase of any item based solely on the asking price. Do I need these things for snowboardig at Vail? Nope. Mountain climbing demands the best you can get for your money.

Buy the equipment appropriate for the need. Pay the price if you can afford it. If not then switch activities.
OK. Now someones making sense. Thank you, Teotwaki. If these in fact are the gloves you need to climb Everest or some other smaller but similar peak. I understand the price. That's not a sport that intrigues me that much. But to each their own. I could see where that could become expensive.

But I still think you can find a pair of goat leather lined electric gloves for cheaper than $355. (joking) Have no idea where to find goat leather lined electric gloves.

Are they really using electric gloves on Everest or any other serious mountain? Just curious. Seems like a pretty fragile system for that sort of venture.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:01 am

moab wrote: OK. Now someones making sense. Thank you, Teotwaki. If these in fact are the gloves you need to climb Everest or some other smaller but similar peak. I understand the price. That's not a sport that intrigues me that much. But to each their own. I could see where that could become expensive.

But I still think you can find a pair of goat leather lined electric gloves for cheaper than $355. (joking) Have no idea where to find goat leather lined electric gloves.

Are they really using electric gloves on Everest or any other serious mountain? Just curious. Seems like a pretty fragile system for that sort of venture.
I do understand exactly where you are coming from. I did show the full list price but I can assure you that I used every angle to get discounted prices for my clothing.

Yes, there really are serious expedition grade gloves. Outdoor research shows some here

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/blog/ge ... ted-gloves

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research ... B00L2TDTAQ

Battery technology has improved a lot and is enabling the heated gloves and jackets to be a bit more practical. To me the big headache is recharging them, especially in cloudy weather. I think there are also heated vests

On my climbs I use Hothands toe and glove warmer heatpacks. Lightweight, reliable and no batteries to recharge :mrgreen:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Return to “Bug Out Gear”