RTIC/YETI Stainless Steel cup.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

RTIC/YETI Stainless Steel cup.

Post by moab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:25 pm

I just picked up an RTIC 30 oz SS cup $17 (although I got it on sale for $12). It competes with the YETI version which sells for around $40. Their supposed to keep ice frozen for up to 24 hours. And coffee hot for 6 hours. Just wondering if anyone else uses either? I prefer the size. I use plastic cups in 30 oz currently.

I think RTIC is giving YETI a run for it's money. YETI is a very famous maker of high end coolers for the outdoors. RTIC makes the same things but for far less.

https://www.amazon.com/RTIC-RTIC30-30-o ... ZPE0NDE0Q8

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RonnyRonin

Re: RTIC/YETI Stainless Steel cup.

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:11 pm

I prefer insulated widemouth bottles as they will do everything an insulated cup will do but with a more secure lid option.

I prefer not to give RTIC my business because they are competing on price alone, just selling someone else's designs for less. Companies like Pelican and Orion are giving Yeti a run for their money by improving and innovating rather then just undercutting. I'm always torn, because I'm a tightwad, and Yeti is probably operating on wider margins then they need to, but they also basically CREATED a new market segment that others can just swoop into with little risk or investment.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:26 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:I prefer insulated widemouth bottles as they will do everything an insulated cup will do but with a more secure lid option.

I prefer not to give RTIC my business because they are competing on price alone, just selling someone else's designs for less. Companies like Pelican and Orion are giving Yeti a run for their money by improving and innovating rather then just undercutting. I'm always torn, because I'm a tightwad, and Yeti is probably operating on wider margins then they need to, but they also basically CREATED a new market segment that others can just swoop into with little risk or investment.
I hear you about pricing etc. But I'm a tightwad too. And believe in competition. If they can make them for less I'm all over it. to cheap to get to political about it. But again, I hear what your saying.

I'm not that into a secure top at home or work. Which is what I bought this for. Not for hiking or anything. to much of a hassle unscrewing caps etc. etc. I prefer a simple cup or glass. I tried hard to rock a Nalgene at home. But that cap just killed it for me. I drink a lot of liquids during the day though. Mostly water. But a lot of it.

It will be interesting to see how long this thing will keep my ice frozen for.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:11 pm

If you are curious they work as intended. I can fill a Yeti (or Corsksickle) and eight hours of sitting in a hot car later it will still be almost all ice. I don't drink coffee but the wife says her coffee stays hot as long as she cares to drink it.

There a few of the cups of the cheaper kind that don't work as well, although they still work to a degree.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Wife has a Yeti, I have an Ozark Trail, both keep ice forever. No quantifiable difference in the 2. Couldn't tell you about keeping warm because it's summer here and I get my caffeine carbonated this time of year.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:44 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:I'm always torn, because I'm a tightwad, and Yeti is probably operating on wider margins then they need to, but they also basically CREATED a new market segment that others can just swoop into with little risk or investment.
Might want to look at Grizzly cooler/cup products. They are made near where I grew up.

Full disclosure, a friend was a sales rep, and my dad carries their line.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:41 pm

woodsghost wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:I'm always torn, because I'm a tightwad, and Yeti is probably operating on wider margins then they need to, but they also basically CREATED a new market segment that others can just swoop into with little risk or investment.
Might want to look at Grizzly cooler/cup products. They are made near where I grew up.

Full disclosure, a friend was a sales rep, and my dad carries their line.
Pelican or Orion gets my business. Both offer substantively different products with tangible pros/cons compared to Yeti. Pelican wins on reputation/warranty, Orion wins on design. I don't mean anything by it, but grizzly is actually one of my lest favorite designs. The closure system is one of the few I dislike more then the yeti.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Barr
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Holy Trilogy of Dawn, Night and Day, Land of the Dead, Survival of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Fido, Shaun of the Dead, hell all of them really

Post by Barr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enBQ_v3NSwM

Only cause I forget how to do the video thing.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Fuck it I'm Zombie Squad. I got this shit

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:10 am

RonnyRonin wrote:I prefer insulated widemouth bottles as they will do everything an insulated cup will do but with a more secure lid option.

This is unfair on RTIC in my opinion - Yeti obviously couldn't patent their design effectively and so imitators will appear they can sell it cheaper with a margin that gives people jobs. People will still buy Yetis and there are RTICs available, it's one of the great things about free markets - you can usually find an identical product without the brand packaging and media hype for a lot less money. Look at "Beats by Dre" headphones, completely average headphones that sell for a lot of money because idiots like to buy branding.

RTIC are also a direct to consumer business, Yeti in part is expensive because yes they have their products in REI.
Man is a beast of prey

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:16 am

I can vouch for Yeti being a wonderful product. I have their mammoth 32 oz and it's incredible.

I also got the knock-off, produced by Ozark Trail at Walmart for $10. While the ice retention isn't as good as Yeti, about 12 hours of ice and 5-6 for coffee, still pretty amazing considering.
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:21 pm

the_alias wrote: This is unfair on RTIC in my opinion...
In my view a free market works best when innovation is rewarded at a higher rate then imitation. Imitation is often lauded as "giving more options" in a free market, but when it is overly rewarded it becomes more advantageous to just rip off other peoples ideas then create something new. Where would we be is Yeti just decided to make another coleman knock-off rather then create a new category? If the whole market pursues the lowest cost option it is always a race to the bottom. Patents don't mean much, they are difficult and expensive to enforce. Yeti did actually sue RTIC, but I haven't been able to find the results. The other cooler companies (Grizzly/pelican/orion/cabelas/walmart/Canyon/?) are certainly imitators but they at least made subtle changes, added or removed features, and stand on their own somewhat, RTIC positions and actively markets itself as being a carbon copy of Yeti, which is at the very least sleazy and at most blatant and malicious infringement.

Part of a free market is making appeals to other consumers to spend their money(vote) where (I feel) it will benefit the market as a whole the most. Performance and costs are only a part of the equation, a companies values should also be weighed. I'm all for free markets, so I think it is the market's job to punish RTIC, not a patent attorney. "free markets" are often talked about as if everyone in the discussion is a detached observer rather then an active participant, but as a very small participant I have very little sway so I will passionately lobby others to make similar purchases so as to steer the market in the direction I want. Those that disagree with me will lobby for their chosen brands so as to push the market the way they prefer.

TL;DR: You can drive a blimp through the gap between "permissible" and "laudable" and while we individually decide whether to reward laudable behavior or not I will encourage it whenever possible.

AK, Glock, Pie.

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:00 pm

I have the RTIC version as well. I just got done using it for a week and a half in Moab, UT, oddly enough. It was great being able to have a cold soda all day on the trail along with 14,000 gallons of water. I was really impressed at how cold it kept them out in the direct sunlight and heat.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

moab

Post by moab » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:01 am

Political discussion aside. I just got this RTIC mug last night. Put very little ice in it with my drink at about 8pm last night. Still frozen ice at 8am this morning. Impressed to say the least. :)

voyaginator

Post by voyaginator » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Really like the Klean Kanteen
http://bit.ly/2bIPTOH
Stainless and double-wall vaccuum insulated, so pretty solid :clap:

moab

Post by moab » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:49 pm

Anyone have the YETI version of this cup? Mine leaks at the seal if you so much as swirl the liquid around with the lid on. Not badly. Just like when the liquid runs over the seal line or bottom of the cap. Also how long does your's keep ice solid? If I filled it with ice and then a liquid and let it sit. It would easily keep the ice at like 65-75% overnight. Been using it to much to test any longer. I might get the upgraded cap with the slide closer thing on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:46 am

As noted earlier my Yeti keeps ice, ice for 8 hours. There were a few drops of water and that was it. Mine does not leak. I'd get a new lid if it did.
You go over and under
I go through

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:48 pm

Adding to the stainless mug love-in, I've had one of these (or something much like it) for 10+ years and it's still going strong:
https://www.lifeventure.com/products/co ... hermal-mug

It's 12oz, fits in the pocket of my rain jacket (or the waterbottle pocket of my day pack), and keeps my second (or third) mug of tea or coffee warm between brew stops when I'm on a hike.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:32 pm

I have noticed that the 20oz Yetis are fat. Not hard for me to hold but the wife put a grip on hers to handle it more easily. Some of the new cup come with a flat front and back making them easier to handle.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Bug Out Gear”