Keychain Flashlights

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Keychain Flashlights

Post by 00dlez » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:15 pm

After running a few different searches, I think this is a worthy topic to introduce... Many other posts either focus on a specific product, are buried in larger pack/EDC discussions, or are just EDC/Small (but not necessarily keychain specific) lights. That said, no need to re-create the wheel so if there are useful and relevant posts or topics, please link them.

Onto the thread.

I'm in the market for a small light to put specifically on my keychain. Personally, the features I am most looking for are:
- Easy attachment to a keychain (duh)
- Some sort of belt or pocket clip
- Low and High (100 lumen+) mode (at a minimum - other modes are nice and appreciated, but not needed.)
- Ability to stay on (ie. not a button light I have to click/hold)

2nd tier features I'd like
- At least 100 hours battery life on low
- Ability to stand upright as a candle
- AAA Battery : Not at all a requirement, but I'm attempting to standardize my more serious lights on AAA so an investment in recharging setup pays off. If this can be standardized too, great.

Price point I'm circling right now is the $10-30 range, preference closer to $15, though. It's a keychain light.

I was starting to like THIS LIGHT, from a company unknown to me called SeresRoad, but several of the reviews note they were given free/discounted product for review and there is no note on battery life...

What are your thoughts or favorites?
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Stercutus

Re: Keychain Flashlights

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:09 pm

I have a keychain light i got in 2004. It's on the original battery and still works fine. I got it free from the Salty Dog Restaurant in Baltimore.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 pm

There's not much in the single AAA market that'll meet your requirements. The ThruNite Ti3 EDC is the only one I know of that I would trust. There are probably other offerings from iTp and Olight as well. I've never heard of the SeresRoad brand before.

geoffreys7

Post by geoffreys7 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:33 pm

I carry this and I'm very happy with it, about $15 on Amazon;
Maglite Solitaire LED 1-Cell AAA Flashlight Black
https://www.amazon.com/Maglite-Solitair ... glight+aaa

B9ev
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by B9ev » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:46 pm

Surefire Titan. Mine works great and is AAA.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:39 pm

I've carried a Fenix EO1 for about three years on my keychain. Recently I was out of the country on business and our hotel lost power. The little light came in handy and I ended up giving it to a young mother who was stuck with three scared little kids in the dark (I had a larger Fenix LD-22 that I carried as well, that runs on AA batteries, that I left with a colleague of mine at the hotel when I headed for the airport the following day). A lot of people who were using their cell phone lights to navigate the hallways remarked on the light and wished they had something similar. Lesson learned....

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/flashlig ... batteries/

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 am

The factory LED Minimag Solitaire has been my go to for months, even relegating my former EDC 272 lumen 2xAA Minimag Pro+ to my backpack. 37 lumens, single AAA, $15 on Amazon, Maglite lifetime warranty. Hard to go wrong.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:14 am

Check out the Pelican 1910 Gen 2:
https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-ProGear- ... 00BR314NG/

I have a Gen 1 that was single mode only that I really like. The Gen 2 has High / Low modes.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:24 am

Murph wrote:Check out the Pelican 1910 Gen 2:
https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-ProGear- ... 00BR314NG/

I have a Gen 1 that was single mode only that I really like. The Gen 2 has High / Low modes.
Not too shabby...
Reviews online says you can't, but 2-sentence amazon reviewers tend towards the idiot side of the spectrum, so I thought I'd ask again - can the belt clip be reversed?

Looks like if you remove the battery cap, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from flipping that ring piece around. Obviously it wouldn't be as solid of a clip since it has less light-body to tension against, but it I was just trying to clip it to a ball cap to do something hands free, it could do okay for a minute.

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:03 pm

00dlez wrote:Looks like if you remove the battery cap, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from flipping that ring piece around. Obviously it wouldn't be as solid of a clip since it has less light-body to tension against, but it I was just trying to clip it to a ball cap to do something hands free, it could do okay for a minute.
I know for a fact the head doesn't unscrew, but you should be able to flip the clip in place, or take it off completely. I'll try to remember to check it tonight.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:06 pm

Check out the offerings from Thrunite. I carry the Thrunite Ti3 as a backup light. I have it on a stretchy keychain and it stays attached to the strap on my Maxpedition Noatak gearslinger. The stretchy keychain lets me use the light without removing it. It's an awesome light. It has 3 brightness settings (plus strobe) including a super low mode.

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-ti3-ed ... 30-lumens/

Here is a pic of it attached to my pack.

Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:54 pm

I've been carrying an Olight i3s on my keychain for a few months now. Plenty bright for a little AAA light (80 lumens on high). It uses a twisty interface and thus far I haven't had it come on in my pocket. The brightness level order is Medium (20L) > High (80L) > Moonlight (0.5L) > Strobe, with it going back to the Medium mode if you leave it off more than a couple of seconds.

Didn't bother with the pocket clilp, since I put it on my keychain, but it's reversible so that you can put it on a hat brim. The cheap, no-name branded AAA that it came with is still running after a few months, but I haven't used the light a lot, so that's sort of to be expected. I have some NiMH rechargeables to use once it's done.

I will say that the keychain loop that it comes with is garbage - just a sort of "split ring" triangle that only lasted a few days before it failed. Fortunately the light came off in my pocket, so it didn't get lost. I had a spare 1/4 inch split ring that I used to replace it and that's been fine. My recommendation would be that if you're going to use it on a keychain, replace their keychain loop right away with a real split ring so that you don't end up losing the light.

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:59 pm

I've been pretty happy with my Fenix LD15, but it looks like they don't make it anymore.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:05 am

Its possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. A little bit of O-ring got pinched and tore when I was flipping it back.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:25 pm

EBuff75 wrote:I will say that the keychain loop that it comes with is garbage - just a sort of "split ring" triangle that only lasted a few days before it failed. Fortunately the light came off in my pocket, so it didn't get lost. I had a spare 1/4 inch split ring that I used to replace it and that's been fine. My recommendation would be that if you're going to use it on a keychain, replace their keychain loop right away with a real split ring so that you don't end up losing the light.
I have had that same problem with other lights. They seem to come with crap keyrings. So replacing the ring with a higher quality one is a good idea. But I guess to keep a light cheap you have to cut corners somewhere.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.

Acronyms

My photography and art

moab

Post by moab » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:06 am

Purple_Mutant wrote:Check out the offerings from Thrunite. I carry the Thrunite Ti3 as a backup light. I have it on a stretchy keychain and it stays attached to the strap on my Maxpedition Noatak gearslinger. The stretchy keychain lets me use the light without removing it. It's an awesome light. It has 3 brightness settings (plus strobe) including a super low mode.

That just may be the winner. Look at those specs!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:03 am

Purple_Mutant wrote:Check out the offerings from Thrunite. I carry the Thrunite Ti3 as a backup light. I have it on a stretchy keychain and it stays attached to the strap on my Maxpedition Noatak gearslinger. The stretchy keychain lets me use the light without removing it. It's an awesome light. It has 3 brightness settings (plus strobe) including a super low mode.

Winner winner, well lit chicken dinner :)

Checks all of the criteria (surprisingly, I figured I'd have to fudge on at least one or two) and is well reviewed. Digging through the amazon reviews, it looks like they decently honor a 2 year replacement policy... If a $20 light serves me well for 2 years, I'd probably buy a new one anyway.

Thanks to all for the feedback, and keep them coming! You never know who else is reading.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:15 pm

00dlez wrote: Winner winner, well lit chicken dinner :)

Checks all of the criteria (surprisingly, I figured I'd have to fudge on at least one or two) and is well reviewed. Digging through the amazon reviews, it looks like they decently honor a 2 year replacement policy... If a $20 light serves me well for 2 years, I'd probably buy a new one anyway.

Thanks to all for the feedback, and keep them coming! You never know who else is reading.
Once you pick one up and test it. Let us know what you think.

Acronyms

My photography and art

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Purple_Mutant wrote:

I plan to - it arrives tomorrow with a pile of other goodies. Will probably post a review in early September after I've carried it for a while and a MBO I'm going to do over labor day weekend.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:29 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:I've carried a Fenix EO1 for about three years on my keychain. Recently I was out of the country on business and our hotel lost power. The little light came in handy and I ended up giving it to a young mother who was stuck with three scared little kids in the dark (I had a larger Fenix LD-22 that I carried as well, that runs on AA batteries, that I left with a colleague of mine at the hotel when I headed for the airport the following day). A lot of people who were using their cell phone lights to navigate the hallways remarked on the light and wished they had something similar. Lesson learned....

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/flashlig ... batteries/
I rely on the same type of little/big setup. I have keychain sized items for EDC, and heavy items for when I am expecting to need something bigger.
EDC: Fenix E05 / LM Micra or Squirt PS4 / ACR WW-3 or generic cylinder whistle
ODC (occasional daily carry): Mini Maglite LED conversion / V-nox Deluxe Tinker or Milwaukee fastback knife / Lifeboat or Storm Whistle.

EDIT: As far as split rings go, I use the ones intended for fishing instead of the key ring ones. Much less bulky and IMHO better quality

turbo6

Post by turbo6 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:43 pm

I'd say Fenix LD02.

100 lumens max I believe. 1x AAA power, tail switch, clip and 3 modes.

Or if your willing to do 1x AA the Fenix E12 is a bit brighter but the trade off is no clip. There is a hole in the tail to attach a lanyard or affix it on keys.

It's kind of tough niche because companies usually market their lights specifically for keys or as tiny pocket lights with clips, but not always a hole to loop keys through.

Although Nitecore is releasing a new light called the "Tip" which is a 300+ lumen usb powered light. It's like a small remote control size, I believe it has a belt clip and a rear clip to hook keys on. Might be worth a look, it think it's being released soon.
Last edited by turbo6 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:30 pm

00dlez wrote:
Purple_Mutant wrote:

I plan to - it arrives tomorrow with a pile of other goodies. Will probably post a review in early September after I've carried it for a while and a MBO I'm going to do over labor day weekend.
Give us your initial impression. Then you can do a full review down the line.

Acronyms

My photography and art

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:11 pm

I made a new thread for that specific light to keep this one open for more general discussion/recommendations.

Check it out here

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:06 pm

My daily EDC Keychain flashlights are aFenix EO1 or EO5 ( with lithium AAA batt.s) and a Yellow Photon Freedom micro. I carry the Photon mounted switch in, on its neckholder, with its lanyard X wrapped around it. Both lights are on my keychain. It is a lightweight set-up, with good enough lumens and long life from both.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”