Solar Panel Question - Goal Zero or Brunton?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Solar Panel Question - Goal Zero or Brunton?

Post by 74 or more » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:16 pm

I'm looking to get a larger solar panel. I've been using a Solio Classic (original) forever. I'm trying to decide between the Goal Zero Nomad 20 and the Brunton Explorer 20. The Goal Zero seems a bit more user friendly.

What do you guys think? Is one better than the other or are they pretty much the same?

Brunton Explorer 20
http://www.brunton.com/products/explorer-10

Goal Zero Nomad 20
http://www.goalzero.com/p/179/nomad-20-solar-panel
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

moab

Re: Solar Panel Question - Goal Zero or Brunton?

Post by moab » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:54 pm

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Thanks for that. I haven't been on here in a while and my search skills aren't what they used to be. I agree that the Instapark is a better bang for your buck but I think I like the Goal Zero and Brunton a little more which is why I'm curious as to people opinions (if any) between the two. I also like the charging options on the Goal Zero a little more than the Instapark.
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:45 pm

74 or more wrote:Thanks for that. I haven't been on here in a while and my search skills aren't what they used to be. I agree that the Instapark is a better bang for your buck but I think I like the Goal Zero and Brunton a little more which is why I'm curious as to people opinions (if any) between the two. I also like the charging options on the Goal Zero a little more than the Instapark.
Not sure I mentioned it in that thread. But I purchased the Instapark and the Goal Zero Battery charger. Gives you the best of both worlds.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:38 pm

I have a Goal Zero Guide 10/Nomad 7 set and like it, but I got it on deep sale. It's great kit, but ultimately you're paying for the name. If you can find it on deep discount somewhere, go for it; if not, there are a lot of other perfectly good options (like the Instapak moab linked).

No idea about Brunton.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:46 pm

moab wrote:
Not sure I mentioned it in that thread. But I purchased the Instapark and the Goal Zero Battery charger. Gives you the best of both worlds.
I did something similar: I got this 14W "off brand" panel (http://smile.amazon.com/ReStore-Portabl ... ar+charger) and the Goal Zero Guide 10 battery charger. I will say that the Goal Zero seems exceedingly well made.

FYI: I got the ReStore over the myriad other 14-ish watt, generally well reviewed panels simply because it happened to be on sale. You can't argue with the sheer mass of positive reviews for the Instapark.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:23 am

Also the new Goal0 panels are chainable. I've said that somewhere before.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:30 am

I use AllPowers. They seem just as well made and much less expensive.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:20 am

I ended up getting the Goal Zero Nomad 13 and the Flip 20 battery pack. I originally wanted the Nomad 20 but decided that it was a little pricey right now for just the panel. The Nomad 13 and Flip 20 worked out to the same price but I got a more complete set up.

As I originally posted, I was really just looking between the GZ and Brunton and I ultimately went with GZ due to it's size. I feel like it would be easier to strap to the outside of a pack as opposed to the Brunton. Also getting info about the Brunton gear was a little difficult. You really have to dig on their site or just call them if you have questions.

I'm happy with what I got. But that being said....I'm still really looking at the Brunton gear. And after reading a little more up on the Instapark it's kind of appealing too. Maybe I'll pick one up at some point to dedicate to a car kit/GHB.
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

loise238

Post by loise238 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:20 am

74 or more wrote:Thanks for that. I haven't been on here in a while and my search skills aren't what they used to be solar panel cleaning. I agree that the Instapark is a better bang for your buck but I think I like the Goal Zero and Brunton a little more which is why I'm curious as to people opinions (if any) between the two. I also like the charging options on the Goal Zero a little more than the Instapark.
Hello,

Can you suggest me some tips for solar panel cleaning??
Thanks in advance.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:12 am

The old saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” applies – in most residential installation scenarios, cleaning solar panels just isn’t worth the bother – or the potential danger if accessing your rooftop. Unless dirt is clearly visible or performance is noticeably impacted; simply let nature do the job for you

Sometimes in Spring I will hose panels off in early morning when pollen accumulates.
Other then that---no problems in 8 years

Return to “Bug Out Gear”