Does backpacking gear color truly offend others?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KnifeStyle

Re: Does backpacking gear color truly offend others?

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:52 pm

So...I can't take selfies with the passing livestock?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:31 pm

modustollens wrote:
ROCK6 wrote: Yep, you read that right. The reasoning is less about human safety and not spooking the pack animals...I'm not saying I agree, but stepping to the down-hill side makes you smaller and less apt to spook the pack animals.
ROCK6
An odd bit of reasoning there on their part. Is there any evidence at all that standing on the uphill side spooks the animals? Or did they have pack stock whisperer on their LNT team?

Anyway, that's one suggestion I won't be following.

MT
I honestly don't know. I've never worked with pack animals and I've moved off trail (don't even remember the circumstance of the trail or it being up or down hill) a couple times...but I can't say they solid data to support this reasoning. I would love to hear from some actual horse and pack-animal owners. Evidence should have some background for support and I'll check some LNT channels to see where it was derived and what data actually supports it.

I do agree, if it's a steep drop to one side, I'm not risking my life to avoid spooking a few llamas.

ROCK6

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:33 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:So...I can't take selfies with the passing livestock?
Not if you have an ugly mug and spook them! :mrgreen:

Of course, if you're adhering to the LNT principal of standing "down hill", you may be taking your selfie with the livestock's genitalia :lol:

ROCK6

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:19 pm

Just a WAG, but it may have to do with many ambush predators leaping down onto the animals. Mountain lions and whatnot don't tend to pounce on their prey from downhill.
Now I'm not saying that makes the LNT doctrine correct. The pack animals are domesticated, and I'm pretty sure they know what humans are. Avoid making loud noises or sudden movements and they'll probably be okay even if you're uphill. If you have a sugar cube, apple, or carrot in your pocket they may even mug/molest you for it.

What I'm saying here; someone may have extrapolated the idea that seeing as predators would try to jump the pack animals from the high ground it might be a good idea not to have hikers where they might be mistaken as predators by the pack animals.

Me? I'll stand on the uphill side where I'm less likely to be knocked downhill by a fat assed pack mule. :awesome:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:53 pm

I don't begrudge anyone the color of their choice, and yes, there are bright colors in nature, but aside from autumn foliage, something that is cardinal red isn't much bigger than a cardinal.

Having seen meadows full of all colors of tents at Boy Scout Camporees, seeing a woodland clearing full of blaze orange, Tonka truck yellow and purple tents, it does detract from the overall experience, but it is a small price to get boys out in the woods and learning about the great outdoors. So while I would rather not have it, I can live with it.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:03 pm

LowKey wrote: Avoid making loud noises or sudden movements and they'll probably be okay even if you're uphill.
Just to clarify, dont jump up and down hollering "BUGGA BUGGA BUGGA", it wont end well. Talk in a normal voice, etc. I watched a horse almost toss it's rider when it came around a trail and saw us. We were eating lunch at the time, so somewhat quiet and muffled. The sudden appearance of us on the trail spooked the horse. Apparently we resembled horse eating trolls. :awesome: We had to talk to the horses for a bit before they calmed down and realized we were people. The guide suggested to just carry on conversations in a normal voice if we're in an area with animals, it gives the livestock warning that they are about to see a group of horse eating trolls people, I meant people...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:40 am

Am I bad in hoping I don't see anyone at all (regardless of colors) when I'm hiking in the wilds?
Boldly going nowhere

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:09 pm

Zimmy wrote:Am I bad in hoping I don't see anyone at all (regardless of colors) when I'm hiking in the wilds?
I wouldn't say so. I personally prefer to go out into as remote areas as possible to camp. A big reason for that is to get away from other people, or at the least the casual campers who tend to try and bring as much city with them as they can. Since the majority of people these days stay in well traveled areas, it usually works out pretty well for me.

Though anyone who has the preference for not wanting to see others, should remember the other side of that, that others might not want to see you. So being curtious to others wishing to experience nature without seeing other humans like you would like them to do for you is a good plan.
Last edited by ineffableone on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:55 pm

:lol: I hike naked to ensure that I don't offend anyone :lol:

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:09 pm

dunamis wrote::lol: I hike naked to ensure that I don't offend anyone :lol:
I'm offended.
So is nature :rofl:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:48 pm

LowKey wrote:
dunamis wrote::lol: I hike naked to ensure that I don't offend anyone :lol:
I'm offended.
I have actually seen quite a few naked hikers on trails out here in the PNW. It is common enough to not surprise me anymore.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Sig_Lover

Post by Sig_Lover » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:22 am

In this time of PC don't worry about what others think life is to short. Get colors that make your most float. Then feed on there criticism and have fun with it don't let your testosterone get in the way

Rich

Sig_Lover

Post by Sig_Lover » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 am

LowKey wrote:
dunamis wrote:[emoji38] I hike naked to ensure that I don't offend anyone [emoji38]
I'm offended.
My cows don't mind me being naked but the bull looks at me sideways LOL

Rich

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:29 am

I've met people who actually encountered naked hikers on remote parts of the AT. Alas they were all guys proud of thierhiking sticks.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Campdavid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Campdavid » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:21 pm

You will offend just by showing up these days. Who cares man? Not me. If you like it, go with it. If the other guy does not, tough cracker crumbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 pm

I prefer the subdued colors. Thats just me. I like the blending, more than sticking out. But, its always been that way for me. I really dont care what others carry, wear, whatever. I have seen people with ultra tacticool packs, that weigh 8 lbs empty, on trails, with all kinds of doodads hanging off the packs. So be it. I have also seen ultralight hikers with little more than a pack the size of a plastic grocery bag. So be it. Personal choice is just that.

I picked up a used 800 fill down bag, for this winter, to throw in my jeep and to use as a "just in case" bag on day hikes. Its red and pink. I got it for $40. Its a Marmot. If it comes to me needing that bag, I couldnt care less about the color.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:I've met people who actually encountered naked hikers on remote parts of the AT. Alas they were all guys proud of thierhiking sticks.
Man, go into the Sierras on the summer solstice, you'll see all the... mountains... you'd ever want to balance out the hiking sticks.

It's a thing. That's hike naked day...

Return to “Bug Out Gear”