Fall camp & hike

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Fall camp & hike

Post by Boondock » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:46 pm

I wanted to share the highlights from this past weekend's camping and hiking trip to my usual stomping grounds in the Kettle Moraine forest in southern Wisconsin.

My fall hooch and gear: Embark 2p tent, RidgeRest/Big Agnes UL pad combo, Western Mountaineering UL 20 bag with poncho liner. Kit packed in the GoLite Jam 50 and an HPG Tarahumara day hike pack.

Italian sausage and eggs. I kept warm by feeding myself a lot of hearty chow.

I've had these for a few years and I like them a lot. Loki is a company that makes running gear. These fleece gloves are super lightweight and good for keeping hands warm while on the move.

The weather was fantastic and I wanted to stretch my legs. A lot of day hikers, backpackers and hunters were out and about on the IAT.

Climbed to a scenic overlook for a rest and a brew up. Tis the season for wearing the blaze orange beanie that's always in my day hike pack.

I also packed a GoLite down vest and was glad I did. It was rather windy and cold on the high ground.

Nighttime temps dipped into the low 30s. Needed a ton of wood to keep the fire raging back at camp.

I've started a packing pair of COSTCO Kirkland-brand merino wool light hikers in my bag. Not great for long distance hiking. But they're cheap and keep my feet warm at night or in the morning before the fire gets going.

Even the P38 can opener got some use this trip. An excellent, multi-use item.

Did I mention that I'm a fan of hearty breakfast chow? Nothing beats cast iron cooking in the field.

I had a great weekend and was thankful to get outdoors. I hope you enjoyed the trip report. Thanks for letting me drop in and share.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Re: Fall camp & hike

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Yes. Another fan of cast iron cooking.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks for posting the pics - looks like great fun all around.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:30 pm

Looks like an awesome outing. Thanks for sharing!!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Return to “Bug Out Gear”