CipherNameRaven's spantanious AT Solo trip

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

CipherNameRaven's spantanious AT Solo trip

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:37 pm

This was kind of a spontaneous trip. I shot this video with my phone camera. Since, I do not really like the sound of my own voice, I replaced it with subtitles and some light music by Neil Young. I don't specifically like Neil Young, but it seemed to fit. Enjoy, let me know what you think.

I did not take too many photos to document the trip, but whatever I shot for various reasons, I will post as well.

The trip was literally planned 2 days before I headed out, and 'planned' is way too big of the word. Let's say 'decided' is the better word. I did not really know where I was going, and I just decided to head toward AT about 3.5 hours away from my home. I found an abandoned road, parked my car in the woods, and prayed it will still be there when I return.

I did not really know where the trail was, but Google Maps on my phones showed me that it was about there. But, since I did not really know its actual location, I just decided to head for this mountain top. GPS told me it was about 7 miles as the bird flies. I never met anyone the entire times I was there. These are pretty remote sites.

Some crazy looking root systems of these huge trees that have fallen during the storms.

First time I am tent camping in years. This is a great tent I got in surplus store for a good price: USMC 2 Men Combat Tent.

Full Fly

It camouflages so well that I actually lost it briefly when I went to gather wood.

I foraged some mushrooms. There were so much for the picking, but I left most of them be. Just took enough for one meal.

Mixed them with some vegies I brought with me, and the potato I baked in the coals. It made for a great meal.

Oh, just a pic of my mug.

These guys were everywhere. And their sounds just filled the woods.

Sorry, these are all the photos I took. I know - not much. :crazy: But, watch the video. Enjoy the coyote sounds.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Re: CipherNameRaven's spantanious AT Solo trip

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Great post. Even in really good times, a man ought to plan a couple solo trips a year. Just to be still sometimes allow me to return to center.
It looks like you caught the leaves at just the right time too. I would have put some of those tree mice on the skillet had I been there, but then I specifically like Neil Young.
Good job.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:41 pm

The thought crossed my mind. But, since it was not a survival situation, and I had plenty of food, I decided against traps.
They were the only ones that provided me with some entertainment. I had one eating bannock out of my hand, but the video came out dark and grainy.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:55 pm

I hunt them. It's kind of a family and fall tradition. Taste's like chicken. It's not survival for me either truly, but I understood what you meant. They are entertaining, and nosey.
Usually, on public lands, about the time you really wish there was someone around to talk to there will appear some group and then someone pulls out a boom box.
Henry David Thoreau

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Nice one. Alcohol stove?

My last time out I was just about over run by marmots. The thought was to nab one but had plenty of chow and they were entertaining so they all got a pass from me.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:49 pm

Good job. Looks like you had fun.

I still want one of those tents. Maybe once my $30 amazon trail tent gives up the ghost, or my little brother finds one for me.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:08 pm

That brings back some memories. I have not been on a solo camping trip since 1992.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:44 pm

This is my favorite alcohol stove. I made and tested several different ones, starting from penny stove to 93cent cat food can stoves. I like penny stoves for being small and indestructible, but it requires a stand. Cat food once are awesome for being cheap, simple, and very effective. But, they are very fragile. "Venom" one is small, indestructible and serves as its own stand.

Tent. I wanted this tent for a while, but I could not find one for less than 160. This time I walked in into my local Army Navy store and found one for a little over $100. Quality is superb. I am very happy. I still love my hammock.

I am a social animal, but I prefer to go solo. I am yet to find someone to enjoy going camping with, except my wife. But, for the past several years she is stock with kids at home.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

moab

Post by moab » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:25 pm

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:This is my favorite alcohol stove. I made and tested several different ones, starting from penny stove to 93cent cat food can stoves. I like penny stoves for being small and indestructible, but it requires a stand. Cat food once are awesome for being cheap, simple, and very effective. But, they are very fragile. "Venom" one is small, indestructible and serves as its own stand.

Tent. I wanted this tent for a while, but I could not find one for less than 160. This time I walked in into my local Army Navy store and found one for a little over $100. Quality is superb. I am very happy. I still love my hammock.

I am a social animal, but I prefer to go solo. I am yet to find someone to enjoy going camping with, except my wife. But, for the past several years she is stock with kids at home.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.
Thanks to your wife for letting you and taking care of the kids. Nice video. Sad F'ing music though man! LMAO!!! I'm an old man. Made me tear up almost. Hadn't heard those songs for years. Beautiful trip.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:13 am

Well done though I would dislike packing my USMC two man over the AT.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:34 am

The way to manhandle the 2-man for the longer term or longer distance is to only set it up when you must move indoors and then it becomes a 4-man so the answer to weight distribution is answered here as well.

Great tent's when you have a mule though, and C-N-R has a nice one.

-off topic momentarily-

^ I think the solo, bugout and outdoor contests bring out the best in some people. I may have to get involved. Can anyone host? Do prizes have to be grandiose?
Henry David Thoreau

CK14

Post by CK14 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks for posting, makes me want to take a hike, a long one. There are so many amazing places to escape around where I live I should be taking advantage more often. Thanks for you inspiration, its way too cold an snowy now but come late spring I'm going to do a solo overnight (solo means me and the dog :) ).
Pee when you can, eat when you can.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:59 am

Asymetryczna wrote:The way to manhandle the 2-man for the longer term or longer distance is to only set it up when you must move indoors and then it becomes a 4-man so the answer to weight distribution is answered here as well.

-off topic momentarily-

^ I think the solo, bugout and outdoor contests bring out the best in some people. I may have to get involved. Can anyone host? Do prizes have to be grandiose?
Just the fly can be pitched and for this time of year it's rather nice. I once considered using the USMC tent's fly and a UL bivy sack for my winter shelter system.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:00 am

CK14 wrote:Thanks for posting, makes me want to take a hike, a long one. There are so many amazing places to escape around where I live I should be taking advantage more often. Thanks for you inspiration, its way too cold an snowy now but come late spring I'm going to do a solo overnight (solo means me and the dog :) ).
But cold and snowy is fun.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:The way to manhandle the 2-man for the longer term or longer distance is to only set it up when you must move indoors and then it becomes a 4-man so the answer to weight distribution is answered here as well.

-off topic momentarily-

Just the fly can be pitched and for this time of year it's rather nice. I once considered using the USMC tent's fly and a UL bivy sack for my winter shelter system.
What made you decide not to? Weight?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:05 pm

Awesome, thanks for posting.

Great time of year to camp.
WWSD?

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:06 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Well done though I would dislike packing my USMC two man over the AT.
I agree 100%.

So what happened was... Weekend before this trip was suppose to be a camping trip with 3 other buddies of mine to a private 500 acre woods, with guns, gear, etc. We were suppose to camp, run drills, and go on patrols. Fun guy stuff! :clap: We planned it for couple of months. Unfortunately, that weekend we got hit with a tornado and heavy rains, so the trip was canceled. I was so bummed out, :( that next weekend I just packed up and went. I have not posted here for a while, but if you remember, I am primarily hammock or fly shelter camper. However, since I bought this awesome tent for the planned trip that did not happen, I was still set on testing it out. Otherwise, I would never take it on such a hike. It is not a very heavy tent, but heavy enough to make the hike less enjoyable.

It is a great 2 men tent. It has enough space for 2 people plus some gear, and a small vestibule. So, if you are hiking with two people, it would be nice to distribute it among both hikers. Then this would be OK.

I am not sure if I ever hit the AT. I have never been there before. I started driving towards AT, and according to the GPS and Google Maps, I was right in that area. I ditched the car on the abandoned road (possibly, a fire road). There were tree branches, and undisturbed leaves all over that road, so I knew it was not well traveled. I decided not to waste time looking for a marked parking, and just ditched my car there. I doubt designated parking was anywhere around there anyway. I hit a trail, but I am not sure if it was an official AT trail. Trail turned into more of a path than a trail, so I decided to get off and set my own destination. It turned into an exploring adventure.

Otherwise, this was what I had planned: guns and camping

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Very pretty area. Great chow, too. Looked like a good outing. Thanks for sharing.

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 am

Great trip report and nice choice of music!

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks, everyone.

By the way, I gotta say - Mora knives are best camping knives. I abandoned all my semi-expensive ones for these great beaters. |

I need to practice starting fires with natural kindling. I tried it. But after 10 minutes, I gave up and reached for the vseline cotton balls.

Also, I screwed up my bannock by adding too much water. Dough became too thin and I lost half of it in the fire.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Return to “Bug Out Gear”