Autumn hammock camping on the AT.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Autumn hammock camping on the AT.

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Did a two day outing with a friend who has extra time on his hands. Divorce will do that for yea I guess. LOL. In any case used some nice gear, covered some miles and enjoyed good but seasonably chilly weather. Planned on doing around 13 miles in two days though we could have done it in one but then what would there be to do on the second day?

Osprey packs.

It's a GO!

Mid to late Autumn color. Believe it or not there is still some green out there not counting the evergreens. Other trees have dropped their leaves all together. This was right before a big windy rain storm so probably more leaves have drifted to earth.

Da White blaze.

Partridgeberries. Bland but edible.

Silver hill is an interesting stop. Camped here a few times and may return with the tipi during winter.

Cutting some cheese (literally) using a Mora 2/0.

First night's camp.

My gear organization system. I always return anything taken out into the proper sack after use. If not odds are sooner or later kit will and does vanish. I like my stuff sacks UL and highly visible if possible.

My friend's Downmat 7. He tossed it inside his hennessy hammock with good results.

My EMS Thaw 40 down bag was a bit marginal for the lows which on the first night hit the upper 20's.

It's all about the water.

The pump filter started to leak on the first day and didn't function on the second. I used my Sawyer Mini Squeeze the next day which worked just fine. Yup it was slower but working is no small thing. Changed out some O-rings after the trip and the filter is now working but didn't when we needed it.

Backpacker's Pantry. It was ok.

Zombie apocalypse freeze dried beef macaroni rations in a plastic bag. My friend purchased months worth of those larger cans of freeze dried foods for the apocalypse but it wasn't zombies, gamma ray burst or meteors which got him. It was the ex wife so now he is eating the stuff.

The Core 4 stove.

The morning camp. I like to air out my clothes and bag even if it didn't rain before breaking camp weather and time permits.

The Core 4 stove is so UL and it works well.

On the move the next day.

This was just before the rain so the river was very low. It must have been like shooting fish in a barrel for this eagle by the river.

Next night goofing around in camp with da one match fire.

The second night was much of the same so let's wrap this up. All packed up and ready to go.

Video of the outing for those with time to blow.

Gear focus. My trail lights:

This isn't a review of these lights rather just a description of my trail light for the warmer months. The primary attribute which ties the system together is the same battery type. 2XAA which are also used by my camera, Guide 10 and GPS. If one device runs out of batteries I will always have backups even if the extra set is used. Also I picked options that balanced performance with UL requirements.The kit contains the following lights and gear.

1. Fenix HL30 headlamp.
2. Foursevens 2XAA mini flashlight.
3. Nitecore headband. Turn flashlight into extra headlamp.
4. DIY lantern diffuser.
5. 2 AAA TO AA Converters.
6. Eagle Creek Silnylon gear sack.

I think all kit taking the same battery configuration has pros in BOBs and other preps as well. Here is a short video for those who dislike reading.

Thanks for watching.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

WhoShotJR

Re: Autumn hammock camping on the AT.

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:05 am

Nice trip report.

I was just looking at under quilts for my Hennessey tonight. I have a Downmat 7 also, I guess I could give that a try instead. Though it seems like with the angles, and getting in and out of the hammock it would be difficult and uncomfortable. Worth a shot.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:34 am

Woods Walker wrote:Partridgeberries. Bland but edible.

DAMNIT! I have been looking to buy these, but I can't seem to find any online. Partridgeberries are the same as Teaberries, correct? I need about a pound to make some mead so I ordered some seeds and I'm going to grow my own :)

Oh, btw, I really miss fall foliage :( Beautiful pics!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:35 am

That looked great, man! I approve of little sausages on the stove. Thanks for sharing.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:49 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:Partridgeberries. Bland but edible.

DAMNIT! I have been looking to buy these, but I can't seem to find any online. Partridgeberries are the same as Teaberries, correct? I need about a pound to make some mead so I ordered some seeds and I'm going to grow my own :)

Oh, btw, I really miss fall foliage :( Beautiful pics!
Not sure but odds are partridgeberries are in your area. They seem to like growing under softwoods near brooks, streams and rivers but not all the time.
WhoShotJR wrote:Nice trip report.

I was just looking at under quilts for my Hennessey tonight. I have a Downmat 7 also, I guess I could give that a try instead. Though it seems like with the angles, and getting in and out of the hammock it would be difficult and uncomfortable. Worth a shot.
I found mine to be comfortable when used during the winter. Maybe it will workout for you as well.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Boondock wrote:That looked great, man! I approve of little sausages on the stove. Thanks for sharing.
LOL! Pork products for the win!

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:10 pm

This is a great time of year to be out: air is fresh, no bugs, not too cold, not too hot, colour everywhere. One can hike or labour without sweating like a pig.

But, winter is coming! (It is already -5C here where I am, and it has ben for the last week).

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:10 am

Woods Walker wrote: Not sure but odds are partridgeberries are in your area. They seem to like growing under softwoods near brooks, streams and rivers but not all the time.
Unfortunately no. I talked with OmegaMan and he says the low country of SC does not have them. I'm guessing the freeze/thaw cycle required for seed germination is the cause.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Great trip report WW! The only issue with the fall down here is that it can get pretty wet. We're planning something for the week of Thanksgiving and hoping it's not too cold or too wet. Glad to see some taking advantage of the cooler weather...may favorite time of year to get out.

ROCK6

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:52 pm

Looks awesome. I guess I am going to post my trip now. Though, i hate the sound of my voice, so replaced it with some light music.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:31 am

NamelessStain wrote:
Woods Walker wrote: Not sure but odds are partridgeberries are in your area. They seem to like growing under softwoods near brooks, streams and rivers but not all the time.
Unfortunately no. I talked with OmegaMan and he says the low country of SC does not have them. I'm guessing the freeze/thaw cycle required for seed germination is the cause.
Just ordered some seeds to grow my own. Many sites say to put them in a bag with peat and water for 4-10 weeks in the fridge to prep them for planting. I guess we'll see what happens in a few months. :)

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Great trip report, countryside looks beautiful with those fall colours going on.
Is that the carabiner/descending ring set-up I see on your HH?

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Canadian Guy wrote:Great trip report, countryside looks beautiful with those fall colours going on.
Is that the carabiner/descending ring set-up I see on your HH?
Yup. Working very well. Definitely worth the extra bit of weight. This one one of the areas I was going to do for that summer outing but I think we had a better section.

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:58 am

Just watched the video in full and caught the part about the leaking Exped mattress,....Lol. Last week I bought a new Exped Downmat 9 LW due to my old one leaking at the valves and the tubes coming apart internally! I had pulled out the receipt for my old one to see if it was still within the 5 year warranty but I had bought it in Nov 2007 :( I'm going to contact Exped to see what they can do, if they can repair it at a low cost then I'll have two :) That old one did get a lot of use and I had no problems with getting a new one especially since they fixed the valve issues and other quality problems, definitely need that schnozzel pumpbag as the built in pump is not fun.

Surprised you lit up the Core 4 stove after the run in with the trail monitors last summer :wink:

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:51 am

Canadian Guy wrote:Just watched the video in full and caught the part about the leaking Exped mattress,....Lol. Last week I bought a new Exped Downmat 9 LW due to my old one leaking at the valves and the tubes coming apart internally! I had pulled out the receipt for my old one to see if it was still within the 5 year warranty but I had bought it in Nov 2007 :( I'm going to contact Exped to see what they can do, if they can repair it at a low cost then I'll have two :) That old one did get a lot of use and I had no problems with getting a new one especially since they fixed the valve issues and other quality problems, definitely need that schnozzel pumpbag as the built in pump is not fun.

Surprised you lit up the Core 4 stove after the run in with the trail monitors last summer :wink:
I think they were favorable to me because those old valves were defective aka known problem. Tell them it has been leaking for years. Yea the hobo stove needs to be "throttled back". I wonder if she knew her boyfriend was smoking weed in the trail ranger's walled tent at Sages...... LOL!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”