Quarter length liner socks?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Quarter length liner socks?

Post by moab » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Looking for super lightweight quarter length liner socks. Any suggestions? Must be synthetic or thin merino wool. Nylon is fine. Just want to avoid blisters and something for summer weight.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

raider502

Re: Quarter length liner socks?

Post by raider502 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:38 pm

I just use the REI merino wool lt hikers with no liners and have never had any blister issues. My understanding of how the merino wool works is that it pulls the moisture away from your feet helping to keep them dry. Think I read that on the smart wool website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:53 am

I wear wool and liners all the time. Great for absorbing moisture and reducing friction.

I bought some bamboo dress socks a while back, and those have been really great. And they are quarter length. They were at Sportsman's Guide, so I don't know if they are still available there, but bamboo dress socks are an option.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:09 pm

What kind of footgear are you planning to wear?

moab

Post by moab » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Boondock wrote:What kind of footgear are you planning to wear?
Merrel Moab Mids. I have quarter length wool socks that work fine. I just wanted to try some liners to see how they worked. For when it's colder and another sock wouldn't make my feet sweat to much. I do have an ingrown toenail that is habitual. I doubt it helps that much. But just thought I would try a pair. Maybe even try just a liner sock by itself in the summertime.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:03 pm

moab wrote:Merrel Moab Mids.
Ah. I'd go with what raider502 suggested and try the REI brand light hiking socks. I also wear them in the summer with a pair of Vasque low hikers and I'm comfy. I never wear liner socks, ever, but that's a personal preference.

raider502

Post by raider502 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:55 pm

I wear Merrell Moab Mids with quarter length socks almost daily. I love them in the winter and they are not hot in the summer. I wore liners with my boot socks when I was in the Army (light infantry) but can't say they made much difference. I would have loved to have merino wool socks back then. REI also sells an expedition weight version of their merino wool socks and I bought a pair to throw in my pack for winter camping and those things will roast your feet in the middle of a January ice storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Bug Out Gear”