Lightweight USGI Goretex at TAG. $29.88 jackets.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Lightweight USGI Goretex at TAG. $29.88 jackets.

Post by moab » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:27 pm

Price dropped to $29.88!

I posted this to the deals thread. But wanted to post it here too. Just to discuss these. See if others have used these. And point out the fact that they NOT the traditional heavy weight ECWCS that is hard to pack and heavy. They were developed for special forces according to comments below. Because they wanted a lighter weight version. This is a great entry level Goretex for $35!

If you've ever wanted a USGI "lighter weight" Goretex jacket. And not the heavy weight ECWCS stuff that is heavy and does not stuff well. Or just need a great hard shell at a killer price. Here's a pretty great deal. TAG is a good place. I have no connection to them. (See below for a better endorsement. These were apparently made for special forces who wanted a lighter weight version of the overly heavy ECWCS jacket.)

$35 for a USGI jacket reversible woodland/desert. Shipping is like $7. These are lighter weight goretex jackets. Perfect for hiking and backpacking. Stuff fairly small. (They have the heavier weight but only in limited sizes.) These are a great hard shell at an unbeatable price. I bought one for my son. It's not like the typical ECWCS jacket - big and bulky. These are thinner and lighter weight but rugged. And sizes up to 2xl long.

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com ... ckets.html

Traditional ECWCS heavy weight pants' are $40:

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com ... ckets.html

Some comments from a more knowledgeable person than I on another forum:

"These are a phenomenal deal. It's rare that they can be found retail. Damn near impossible to find in previous years. TAG must have lucked into a shipment of New Old Stock.

I used the Adventure Tech plain woodland version (non-reversible; pants & jacket set) for years. They were issue in my unit. Significantly lighter, more comfortable to wear, quieter, less stiff, and way more packable than standard ECWS Goretex. Each jacket & pant stashes into its own pocket. I still use a woodland/desert jacket I've had for years. If you are on the cusp between sizes, order the next size up."

"As long as you get them large enough in size to allow for layering. They are not as good at blocking hard wind as the heavier ECWS Goretex, but they are so much more comfortable to wear, less bulky, and lighter to carry. I've worn them skiing.

They were originally designed to meet SOF requirements, because we bitched about regular issue ECWS Goretex being too heavy (and bulky to pack away). This stuff you can fit inside of a butt pack, a thigh cargo pocket, or an assault pack.

Think of them as light windbreaker breathable rain wear. Like a soft shell in terms of comfort, but much better for actual hard rain. ECWS Goretex fabric is stiff and hangs off of you. This stuff is more like a lightweight nylon runners jacket. It drapes across your torso & limbs. I never used my Army issue Goretex in the field while I was issued the Adventure Tech stuff. Nobody else on my teams used the heavier stuff either. Kept us just as dry for half the weight and half the stowed pack volume."

Last edited by moab on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Lightweight USGI Goretex at TAG. $35 jackets.

Post by Boondock » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:36 pm

That's a heckuva deal. Thanks for posting.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:04 am

I got two sets of ECWS but looking at this jacket because it's more UL. Wondering about the sizes though. Noticed the Woodland/desert has XX long and the Desert tri color/funky night vision green stuff has XX reg and long. I like to layer thin jackets like this and fit into an XL however odds are going larger might be better. But do I really want XX-long as opposed to XX-R?

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:06 am

Woods Walker wrote:I got two sets of ECWS but looking at this jacket because it's more UL. Wondering about the sizes though. Noticed the Woodland/desert has XX long and the Desert tri color/funky night vision green stuff has XX reg and long. I like to layer thin jackets like this and fit into an XL however odds are going larger might be better. But do I really want XX-long as opposed to XX-R?
Do you ever use down as your insulation? LOL! I mean maybe a big down jacket under would fill things out? ;)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:20 am

Back in the day those jackets were about $90. add some poly pro and a field jacket liner and you were good to about 0F (with hat and gloves).
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:01 am

moab wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:I got two sets of ECWS but looking at this jacket because it's more UL. Wondering about the sizes though. Noticed the Woodland/desert has XX long and the Desert tri color/funky night vision green stuff has XX reg and long. I like to layer thin jackets like this and fit into an XL however odds are going larger might be better. But do I really want XX-long as opposed to XX-R?
Do you ever use down as your insulation? LOL! I mean maybe a big down jacket under would fill things out? ;)
That's true just wondering the difference between the long and regular.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:21 am

Woods Walker wrote:
moab wrote:
You don't look like a long to me in your video. But then again you could get the anorak effect by getting a long. Unless the sleeves are long too. That would suck. Either way I think it's gonna be big on you. So I would just plan on using it when its cold and you have a lot of insulation on under it. Or just keep it as a backup in your car kit or something. It wouldn't matter if it fit in an emergency.

I didn't even read their return policy. Seems like I've returned things before.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:52 pm

You would have to be at least 1.9M to benefit from a long. The jackets are designed to go down over your front pants pockets (this way they overlap with the pants if worn).
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Stercutus wrote:You would have to be at least 1.9M to benefit from a long. The jackets are designed to go down over your front pants pockets (this way they overlap with the pants if worn).
I don't think these are as long as traditional ECWCS jackets. At least not the one I bought my son. More like commercial waist cut jackets. Now my two Truspec ECWCS jackets are like parkas. Those do run longer.

These are just really great for trail hiking. Lightweight. Goretex. Stuffable. I really wish they had 3xl. I'd pop for another one.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:35 pm

I'd have to go dig mine out of the basement to double check. Hmm, pass today.
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Stercutus wrote:I'd have to go dig mine out of the basement to double check. Hmm, pass today.
To be honest it's like inbetween. Not quite parka. Not quite waist coat. Meaning like WWII waistcoat = really high. I don't think the 2xl would hurt him. But if it's already way to big on him the reg length may be plenty. If their return policy is what I think it is I'd just buy both and return the one that didn't fit. Or you could easily get your money's worth out of it on ebay if not more. These were sought after back in the day. And have not been around for awhile. The other ones to look for are the desert camo on one side and "night grid" on the other. Night gird is like dark green with light green square grid pattern. I have no idea what it's for. Must be to fool night vision or something. They are very similar. Maybe even a bit more robust. But nothing like the ECWCS bulk and weight wise.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:38 pm

moab wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:
moab wrote:
You don't look like a long to me in your video. But then again you could get the anorak effect by getting a long. Unless the sleeves are long too. That would suck. Either way I think it's gonna be big on you. So I would just plan on using it when its cold and you have a lot of insulation on under it. Or just keep it as a backup in your car kit or something. It wouldn't matter if it fit in an emergency.

I didn't even read their return policy. Seems like I've returned things before.
6'1 221.5 lbs.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:45 pm

[/quote]

6'1 221.5 lbs.[/quote]

If what you normally get in a jacket is large or XL. I'd get the 2xl reg. And just plan to wearing it with insulation. Or just wearing it a little baggy. It has draw strings IIRC. And either cuff velcro or elastic. My worry about the long would be sleeve length.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:08 pm

moab wrote:
6'1 221.5 lbs.[/quote]

If what you normally get in a jacket is large or XL. I'd get the 2xl reg. And just plan to wearing it with insulation. Or just wearing it a little baggy. It has draw strings IIRC. And either cuff velcro or elastic. My worry about the long would be sleeve length.[/quote]

I went with the 2XL Long because wanted the woodland and that's the only size larger than XL in that color. Actually I am looking to drop 10 lbs so it might get baggier but with outer shells too big allows more options than too small.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Stercutus wrote:You would have to be at least 1.9M to benefit from a long. The jackets are designed to go down over your front pants pockets (this way they overlap with the pants if worn).
Real men NEVER wear pants.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:20 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Ya. There called Assless Chaps, Stercutus. ;)

moab

Post by moab » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:26 pm

WW. Looks like the 2xl was a good choice. This just posted over on SB:

"Mine just came today. I ordered the XXLL. It fits me about as well as my XLR M65 field jacket (loose enough to fit a heavy fleece or hoodie along with the stock liner). I'm definitely glad I got the XXL instead of the XL."

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:01 pm

moab wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
All chaps are assless.

Otherwise they'd be pants.
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:10 pm

moab wrote:WW. Looks like the 2xl was a good choice. This just posted over on SB:

"Mine just came today. I ordered the XXLL. It fits me about as well as my XLR M65 field jacket (loose enough to fit a heavy fleece or hoodie along with the stock liner). I'm definitely glad I got the XXL instead of the XL."
I will let you know how the XXLL is once it comes in.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:13 pm

hotlead wrote:
moab wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
All chaps are assless.

Otherwise they'd be pants.
Lmao! I stand corrected. :)

moab

Post by moab » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:08 pm

Price dropped to $29.88!

HeldTheAncient

Re: Lightweight USGI Goretex at TAG. $29.88 jackets.

Post by HeldTheAncient » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:32 pm

Just ordered one. I love my parka jacket but it's a little too bulky for my taste. Can't wait to test this one out!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:35 pm

Still waiting for mine and now it's cheaper. LOL!

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:17 pm

I ordered an XXLL to go over my XL Tall Carhartt C26 jacket. It arrived today. It fits fine over my jacket and will also work with just a sweater or a hoodie. It looks well constructed and I should get a chance to test it in tomorrow's rain.

Thanks for the heads up on a great deal!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Return to “Bug Out Gear”