New Army camo pattern. (Spoiler Alert! - It's multicam.)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

New Army camo pattern. (Spoiler Alert! - It's multicam.)

Post by moab » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:48 pm

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Re: New Army camo pattern. (Spoiler Alert! - It's multicam.)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:04 am

So basically BDU multi-cam lol. Love it. I enlisted in the crappy ACU/UCP pattern era. Nice to see a change.
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:54 pm

I think it's actually a new variation of the multicam called "scorpion". You can tell because the vertical elements have been eliminated. If you compare multicam and scorpion side by side they will look very much the same me except the vertical elements found in the multicam will not appear in scorpion.

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:49 am

dunamis wrote:I think it's actually a new variation of the multicam called "scorpion". You can tell because the vertical elements have been eliminated. If you compare multicam and scorpion side by side they will look very much the same me except the vertical elements found in the multicam will not appear in scorpion.
The actual pattern resembles BDU IMHO.
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm not really sure if the vertical elements being removed actually have any real beneficial qualities or if it was some sort of a manufacturing issue which required the pattern to be changed so as not to impose on patents or copyrights owned of the MC pattern. I've found the multicam is excellent and have had difficulty finding things where I left them concealed in it because it is so effective.
Last edited by dunamis on Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:58 pm

BadLands_Shooter wrote:
dunamis wrote:I think it's actually a new variation of the multicam called "scorpion". You can tell because the vertical elements have been eliminated. If you compare multicam and scorpion side by side they will look very much the same me except the vertical elements found in the multicam will not appear in scorpion.
I'm not suggesting it doesn't resemble whatever pattern you're identifying with it, but there has been talk about this for quite some time now and so even though the Army is calling it OCP, in all plausibility it is actually a variant of the multicam pattern called Scorpion.

http://blog.uspatriottactical.com/scorp ... -multicam/

http://www.hyperstealth.com/scorpion/

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014 ... ticam.html

moab

Post by moab » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:29 pm

dunamis wrote:
BadLands_Shooter wrote:
I'm not suggesting it doesn't resemble whatever pattern you're identifying with it, but there has been talk about this for quite some time now and so even though the Army is calling it OCP, in all plausibility it is actually a variant of the multicam pattern called Scorpion.

"BDU" simply means battle dress uniform. Which I think is the general name for uniforms since maybe the 80's. I don't think it refers to any one pattern.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:19 pm

moab wrote:
dunamis wrote:
BadLands_Shooter wrote:

Just FYI-
"BDU" simply means battle dress uniform. Which I think is the general name for uniforms since maybe the 80's. I don't think it refers to any one pattern.
BDU would describe the "cut" of a uniform, not the camouflage pattern.
The US Army field uniforms in the 80's for example were BDUs in woodland camouflage. Then there were DCUs, essentially BDUs with some minor alterations in cut/material produced in the "chocolate chip" desert camouflage pattern.

TL;DR- Don't confuse the terminology for the cut of the uniform with the terminology for the camouflage pattern in which it may be produced. :)
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:28 am

I think they look great, would love for all the services to get such a uniform. Instead we get blue berry camo in the Navy :/

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:58 am

Das Sheep wrote:I think they look great, would love for all the services to get such a uniform. Instead we get blue berry camo in the Navy :/
Yup, because what you need on board ship is a camo pattern that makes it harder for them to find you if you fall overboard. :awesome:
Last edited by LowKey on Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:53 am

My understanding is that scorpion was developed by Crye for the Army during the trials in which UCP digital was chosen. After this Crye developed Multicam and marketed it commercially. After UCP flopped the Army switched to genuine Multicam for use in Afghan. Now the Army is going forward using the original Scorpion pattern because they still own the rights from the initial trials and don't have to pay Crye to use their commercial versiom of MC.

This may or may not be true, but it's what I read and seems plausible.

Personally I think MC is better than Scorpion.

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:59 am

Das Sheep wrote:I think they look great, would love for all the services to get such a uniform. Instead we get blue berry camo in the Navy :/
Both patterns of Marpat are effective and still going strong.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:28 am

For the ones who don't get camo, they still get the blue jumpsuits, right? According to a Chief I met aboard the USS Iwo, the idea is to hide the grime, slime, and grit, same reason a lot of motor pools use woodland MARPAT all year round for the grease monkeys. Wouldn't really make sense to issue y'all desert or woodland-y patterns, as you'd be an easier target above decks.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:40 pm

moab wrote: "BDU" simply means battle dress uniform. Which I think is the general name for uniforms since maybe the 80's. I don't think it refers to any one pattern.
Just to add to the list of uniform jargon..... in the USCG they are called ODU or Operational Dress Uniform

best regards,

Jim
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Return to “Bug Out Gear”