NO body armour for me

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
JToth
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:50 pm
Location: Marysville

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by JToth » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Plate carriers are bit of overkill. Soft armor up to IIIA on the other hand is not a bad option. Most vests weigh between 3-6LBS and provide protection on the vital areas up to 44MAG. I have a plate carrier from the military and would not use it unless I was expecting a real gun fight. I also have a IIIA since I work armed security and I wear it every day with no complaints. In my opinion it is better to have some armor and not need it, then need it and not have it.
From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants.

The belief that one's own view of reality is the only reality is the most dangerous of all delusions.

N01
*
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by N01 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:01 pm

I have to care to much body armor for my work and i really hate it
you can't move in it

User avatar
Boom40mm
*
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by Boom40mm » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:07 pm

N01 wrote:I have to care to much body armor for my work and i really hate it
you can't move in it
What armor are you wearing that you can't move in? I've worn the interceptor, MTV, Spartan II, FSBE and SPC and found mobility only to be an issue in the MTV (although the interceptor was not particularly comfortable, you could still move). These more modern systems are greatly improved (head and shoulders) over the gear of yesteryear. Pair any modern carrier with multicurve (a luxury many members probably didn't have) plates and a modicum of physical fitness and you should be golden on movement.

I understand you probably don't have a choice about what you wear because of work, others reading this will have more flexibility if making a private purchase.

User avatar
ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:16 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.
Location: Pig's Eye MN

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Bugging IN: Body Armor (Level III NIJ)
Bugging Out: No Body Armor (Long Sleeve Shirt)
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

clarence
* *
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by clarence » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:45 am

kinghunter wrote:Some people think they need to were body Armour and all the most tactical crap around, if thats what gets ya off then go for it. I choose not to have it because it is a lot of weight to carry around. If im bugging out then I have a good possibility to have to be moving 15+ miles a day I don't want an extra 30 pounds.
30 pounds?? My US Palm Defender (IIIA) weighs 2 pounds (edited to correct: 1.6 pounds with the front panel only, 3 pounds total with the back panel).
kinghunter wrote:Secondly, I don't know about you but were I live ill be heading for the woods were I might never encounter a single person. Its most likely not going to be huge gun battle after another with massive body counts. Its just not something that would suit my needs. Opinions?
Carry a gun into the woods? Why not protection from a gun?
Last edited by clarence on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not looting if you leave a note.

Das Sheep
* * * *
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:40 pm

LJ126 wrote:I wear IIIA soft body armor, it's not that bad. It's not nearly as heavy as you'd think (about five pounds) and if properly fitted, doesn't restrict movement a whole lot. Beats the hell out of being perforated with 9mm bullets.

It is expensive, and the idea of wearing used seems.... Gross. (Trust me, nobody wants to wear mine after a hot summer afternoon. Moist.) Maybe if you wrapped it in Saran wrap under a freshly-cleaned carrier. Don't do that, btw, bad advice.
Ironically a number of light fast 9mm loads blow right through IIIA. The all copper super fast .357 and 9mm and .40 loads just wreck soft body armor.

User avatar
kiltedninja
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by kiltedninja » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:54 am

I have an IMTV that I acquired from my last duty station, and then my plate carrier for work, but in a SHTF situation, you wouldn't see me with armor on. My carhartt, some arm protection and gloves. I have a chest rig and belt for all my ammo and stuff. I'd sacrifice the protection from small arms fire in order for more speed and mobility or the ability to carry things that are more likely to save my life like more ammo, chow and water.

I've spent four years wearing body armor and walking around deserts. I'm sure as hell not gonna wear it if I don't have to.

User avatar
AS556
* * * * *
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by AS556 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Das Sheep wrote:
LJ126 wrote:I wear IIIA soft body armor, it's not that bad. It's not nearly as heavy as you'd think (about five pounds) and if properly fitted, doesn't restrict movement a whole lot. Beats the hell out of being perforated with 9mm bullets.

It is expensive, and the idea of wearing used seems.... Gross. (Trust me, nobody wants to wear mine after a hot summer afternoon. Moist.) Maybe if you wrapped it in Saran wrap under a freshly-cleaned carrier. Don't do that, btw, bad advice.
Ironically a number of light fast 9mm loads blow right through IIIA. The all copper super fast .357 and 9mm and .40 loads just wreck soft body armor.
Can you cite your source for this please?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:24 pm

AS556 wrote:
Das Sheep wrote:
LJ126 wrote:I wear IIIA soft body armor, it's not that bad. It's not nearly as heavy as you'd think (about five pounds) and if properly fitted, doesn't restrict movement a whole lot. Beats the hell out of being perforated with 9mm bullets.

It is expensive, and the idea of wearing used seems.... Gross. (Trust me, nobody wants to wear mine after a hot summer afternoon. Moist.) Maybe if you wrapped it in Saran wrap under a freshly-cleaned carrier. Don't do that, btw, bad advice.
Ironically a number of light fast 9mm loads blow right through IIIA. The all copper super fast .357 and 9mm and .40 loads just wreck soft body armor.
Can you cite your source for this please?


IDK about all, but some, certainly.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Hollis
* * *
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,
Location: Pacific Northwet/Ecotopia

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by Hollis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:33 pm

My thoughts, The more you carry of something means the less you carry of another item.

Is body armor worth the extra weight as compared to other items that could be carried instead?

My first thoughts is no. It depends on the likely hood of need VS the other things I could be carrying.
Zombies don't ski.

Das Sheep
* * * *
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by Das Sheep » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Hollis wrote:My thoughts, The more you carry of something means the less you carry of another item.

Is body armor worth the extra weight as compared to other items that could be carried instead?

My first thoughts is no. It depends on the likely hood of need VS the other things I could be carrying.
Why do you carry a defensive firearm on a bug out?

Because there is a chance you might need to defend yourself right?

Armor is heavy, but there are options out there that can be had at 5-7 pounds total weight for carrier and pistol plates / armor or slightly more for light weight rifle plates. Maybe 10 pounds for some of those crazy light rifle plates.

I am not saying everyone needs / should have armor. Its expensive. I just have some IIIA armor (several sets) and some AR500 plates because I am not willing to drop $800 on some light level III stuff. But its silly to say that, if you have the resources, its not a wise buy.

Also you should make a plan. Where are you bugging out too? Have stuff there and you will need to carry less and you can wear armor.

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1749
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Hollis wrote:My thoughts, The more you carry of something means the less you carry of another item.

Is body armor worth the extra weight as compared to other items that could be carried instead?

My first thoughts is no. It depends on the likely hood of need VS the other things I could be carrying.

On foot, I tend to agree. But for most people slogging around on foot is kind of a last resort (I hope), out of a car, bike (Ok, I've never ridden a bike with armor on), Bug Out Cart or pack animals a light set of armor starts to look like less of a penalty.

Of course the likelihood of needing armor in any given "normal" emergency are probably even lower then those of needing a gun, when these conversations start up I just assume we are all talking some kind of Red Dawn hypothetical, not seasonal floods or tornadoes.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
LJ126
* *
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:16 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by LJ126 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:04 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
AS556 wrote:
Das Sheep wrote:
LJ126 wrote:I wear IIIA soft body armor, it's not that bad. It's not nearly as heavy as you'd think (about five pounds) and if properly fitted, doesn't restrict movement a whole lot. Beats the hell out of being perforated with 9mm bullets.

It is expensive, and the idea of wearing used seems.... Gross. (Trust me, nobody wants to wear mine after a hot summer afternoon. Moist.) Maybe if you wrapped it in Saran wrap under a freshly-cleaned carrier. Don't do that, btw, bad advice.
Ironically a number of light fast 9mm loads blow right through IIIA. The all copper super fast .357 and 9mm and .40 loads just wreck soft body armor.
Can you cite your source for this please?


IDK about all, but some, certainly.
There are handfuls of rounds that will penetrate soft body armor, even the good stuff. That's not disputed.

I don't know about y'all, but I'd rather stop *most* handgun cartridges - especially the ones most commonly used by criminals - and put some layers between me and those that will punch through, than there be nothing but skin and bones protecting my vital organs. It's worth the extra weight to me. Just because a few specialty and exotic cartridges penetrate doesn't detract from it's overall usefulness.

It's kind of like those folks worried about spalling bullets after striking a hard plate; I'll take that any day over being hit in the chest with a centerfire rifle cartridge. And guess what? There are rounds that completely penetrate that armor too.

Other arguments to body armor are that it's heavy. Not really, not for what it does. Maybe if you're bugging out on foot, or bicycle, sure --- but frankly, doesn't hiking away from your stronghold, and the area around it with which you're probably most familiar, seem like a last-ditch sort of thing anyway? If you have body armor, you can choose to use it or to ditch it in that event. If you don't have it, you don't have a choice: you're going without.

Frankly, I see it as a no-brainer. If you keep a gun for self-defense for the defense of your home in the event of violent civil unrest and rioting, you lose nothing by owning and wearing armor too.
Last edited by LJ126 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:11 am

Another good thing about soft armor is it fits better with my pajamas so I don't feel it when I sleep in it every night. Always ready, always vigilant. Semper P!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
AS556
* * * * *
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by AS556 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Interesting, thanks for the link. I usually follow MACs channel, not sure how I missed that one.

I agree with LJ126, however, body armor, whether level II or IV, is worth the bulk and expense despite some rounds being able to penetrate. A very, very high percentage of people potentially shooting at you (LE, .mil, civilians) will be using generic ball or traditional hollowpoints that the vest/plate will be able to defeat, especially once you get out past across the room distances. That's the way I look at it, at least.

AR500 just released a Level III+ that is supposed to stop 193 at super close range and 7.62N AP. My understanding after some research is that from 7m 193 from a 20" will indeed go through AR500. I'm going to look into that as a replacement for my front plate, then throw the current plate in a cheap PC or possibly shoot and test it against 193 from my 14.5" bbl. Ill post a thread if I end up doing it.

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”