NO body armour for me

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

kinghunter

NO body armour for me

Post by kinghunter » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Some people think they need to were body Armour and all the most tactical crap around, if thats what gets ya off then go for it. I choose not to have it because it is a lot of weight to carry around. If im bugging out then I have a good possibility to have to be moving 15+ miles a day I don't want an extra 30 pounds. Secondly, I don't know about you but were I live ill be heading for the woods were I might never encounter a single person. Its most likely not going to be huge gun battle after another with massive body counts. Its just not something that would suit my needs. Opinions?

Paladin1

Re: NO body armour for me

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Thanks for sharing.
WWSD?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:08 pm

The only armor I need is Under Armour because I'm an athlete and made of steel....
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Woods Walker
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Welcome to ZS.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Body armor is not part of my plans either.

Now please take a moment and tell us something about yourself.
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Besides, if someone's drawing a bead on you, they'll probably pop you in the head. Life isn't Hollywood. Bad Guys(tm) don't shoot you in the vest and then get all surprised when you don't die.

Though if there is a zombie uprising, I'm wearing chain mail and leather.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:12 am

I sold my armor kit. I may eventually buy a pistol-rated vest again but that's more a reflection of where I live than any SHTF plans.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:30 am

I wore the IBA vest in the Guard, crap's heavy and hot, you couldn't force me to wear it again. However, one of those smaller PCs only weighs like 15 pounds with plates, I'd like to try that but cost is a big issue for me. I don't currently plan on bugging out to the woods, so armor could be useful if it comes down to a Katrina like situation with neighborhood security.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:38 am

Yeah, my old armor rig started out as a SPEAR IIIA vest with ceramic plates in it, it was patently ridiculous. I eventually traded it for a slick-side carrier that was a couple pounds lighter, but even then it was still 20 pounds and hot as fuck. Ugh, no thanks. I'm thinking of a IIA vest for social occasions, but I dont have any desire to make rifle plates part of my preps.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:49 am

Most likely when the SHTF you are going to get in your automobile, drive long distance to a relative's house, sleep on the couch, and wake up the next morning to call your insurance company to put in a claim while eating a bowl of cheerios.

Body armor and heavy tactical vs. going lightweight, traveling 15 miles a day on foot so you can hide in the woods...both plans are borderline fantasy talk....however both have there merit for completely different reasons.

Heavy tactical gear and armor may be good if your are bugging in and need to defend your home/neighborhood from outright violent chaos outside.

Traveling lightweight so you can walk 15 miles a day is great....not to go hide in the woods....but to travel to that relatives house or other safe location when driving is not an option.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:15 pm

1) Getting shot will likely suck. Armor is really not a bad idea. Medical care for a crazy SHTF situation may not be great, and an ounce of prevention will be worth a pound of cure. Meaning a 20 lb PC will be worth 320 lbs of medical supplies and rehabilitation for your chest hole. I'd say that sounds close enough.

2) Depends on what is going on, whether armor will be "necessary" or "a good idea." The way I figure it, armor will ALWAYS be "a good idea," but not always within reach of folks due to weight or price.

3) For now I am ignoring it because I am not in good enough shape to rock it and because I have other bills at the moment. I"m sure I"ll pick some up later and get in shape and train with it.

4) I don't think most people, even people doing ambushes, will purposely aim for the head. I can see some possibility of purposeful headshots inside 50 y/m, or with accurate weapons and skilled users who have plenty of time to make a shot. The only headshots I know of with hunting happen with extremely skilled shooters with proper equipment (and under 200 yards) and plenty of time.

5) Frankly, a tornado hitting town or snow coming in so fast and so deep that you lose power and can't leave home.... are unlikely to require armor. Last I checked, anyway. I like to focus on the most likely things. On the other hand, certain things in the US make me think armor is a pretty good idea.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:43 pm

kinghunter wrote:Some people think they need to were body Armour and all the most tactical crap around, if thats what gets ya off then go for it. I choose not to have it because it is a lot of weight to carry around. If im bugging out then I have a good possibility to have to be moving 15+ miles a day I don't want an extra 30 pounds. Secondly, I don't know about you but were I live ill be heading for the woods were I might never encounter a single person. Its most likely not going to be huge gun battle after another with massive body counts. Its just not something that would suit my needs. Opinions?
I would suggest you reevaluate your thinking of the woods being a place you will not encounter a single person. Besides Costco and Wallmart see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13017, the woods is the #1 place where people will try and flee to. I am not just talking about preppers and so called preppers either. The average citizen will instinctively think to head to the hills in a massive crisis. The woods you think you will be alone in will likely be flooded with refugees. If they can get there and gain access.

Something a lot of folks don't think of, those woods and hills have people who already live out there. They think of that territory as theirs. Those rural folks wont take kindly to a bunch of city folks invading their woods scaring the game away and stripping the forests of resources. I know for a fact many rural communities have preppers in them that have planned to make access next to impossible for their neck of the woods. So access to the woods you plan to bug out to might be blocked and guarded by the time you get there.

Now I am not saying to get and wear body armor. I personally don't have any myself (though I have many times considered getting some, better to have and not need than not to have at all). But I would suggest reevaluating your plan to take into account the woods wont be as empty as you might think or that access might be cut off.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:49 pm

My two cents is this, any armor worth wearing is heavy and cumbersome. Long ago I adopted a simple policy, shoot them in the crotch or face just in case if the option is available. Also, only actual hard plates stand a chance against a rifle round.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:34 pm

ineffableone wrote:
kinghunter wrote:Some people think they need to were body Armour and all the most tactical crap around, if thats what gets ya off then go for it. I choose not to have it because it is a lot of weight to carry around. If im bugging out then I have a good possibility to have to be moving 15+ miles a day I don't want an extra 30 pounds. Secondly, I don't know about you but were I live ill be heading for the woods were I might never encounter a single person. Its most likely not going to be huge gun battle after another with massive body counts. Its just not something that would suit my needs. Opinions?
I would suggest you reevaluate your thinking of the woods being a place you will not encounter a single person. Besides Costco and Wallmart see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13017, the woods is the #1 place where people will try and flee to. I am not just talking about preppers and so called preppers either. The average citizen will instinctively think to head to the hills in a massive crisis. The woods you think you will be alone in will likely be flooded with refugees. If they can get there and gain access.

Something a lot of folks don't think of, those woods and hills have people who already live out there. They think of that territory as theirs. Those rural folks wont take kindly to a bunch of city folks invading their woods scaring the game away and stripping the forests of resources. I know for a fact many rural communities have preppers in them that have planned to make access next to impossible for their neck of the woods. So access to the woods you plan to bug out to might be blocked and guarded by the time you get there.

Now I am not saying to get and wear body armor. I personally don't have any myself (though I have many times considered getting some, better to have and not need than not to have at all). But I would suggest reevaluating your plan to take into account the woods wont be as empty as you might think or that access might be cut off.
^ I second this ^

Seems a common theme, SHTF and I'll go to the woods. You and thousands of other people, who may be armed, scared, jumpy, etc.
WWSD?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:51 pm

I would trade my SPC and plates for a decent concealable vest, especially if it had slots for plates. I do a lot less running and gunning than I used to, and frankly being able to slip a soft vest under a jacket would be far more useful.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Thorne
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Thorne » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:10 pm

And then there is this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQM6zLiSn1E

Vice presents: The Bullet Proof Tailor
Education on the value of freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights should be a prerequisite for being a citizen of any nation. If we can't think for ourselves, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. If citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us.

Carl Edward Sagan (9 Nov '34 – 20 Dec '96)

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Into the woods with body armor?? No way...

...I'm gonna live out the apocalypse like I live my life: in my mom's basement. Girls and friends don't want to come down here in real life, why would they want to come down in fantasy life?? It's the ultimate in OpSec
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Ive got a PC with level III plates, its obviously not a necessity but gives me a bit of peace of mind. I'll probably grab a concealable pistol vest to throw on if actually bugging out, which I highly doubt will ever happen. The plates are there because, in order of use/importance:

1. Mall ninja-ing
2. Range use
3. Home defense
4. Potential for future restrictions
5. Apocalypse

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:35 pm

AS556 wrote: 2. Range use

I have noticed it might be safer to wear armor around some people.....

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Maeklos wrote:Besides, if someone's drawing a bead on you, they'll probably pop you in the head. Life isn't Hollywood. Bad Guys(tm) don't shoot you in the vest and then get all surprised when you don't die.

Though if there is a zombie uprising, I'm wearing chain mail and leather.

Hitting the head of a moving target is easier said than done. Life isn't hollywood...every Tom, Dick, and Harry isn't even capable of hitting center of mass on a moving target... which brings up a different topic: Shitty luck, an uncaring universe can be an evil bitch sometimes... I think a 10x12 piece of ceramic covering your vitals is better than hoping you make an agility save if the time comes.

(If you get drilled in the dome by a rifle cartridge, most ballistic helmets won't even save you[without the uncaring universe momentarily smiling on you].. but a level III=/+ plate WILL stop a chest shot.)

edited to remove confusion.
Last edited by Boom40mm on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Boom40mm wrote:
(If you get drilled in the dome by a rifle cartridge, most ballistic helmets won't even save you[without the uncaring universe momentarily smiling on you].. but a 3a+ plate WILL stop a chest shot.)
Helmets do occasionally stop rifle rounds (or at least deflect glancing hits). And I'd look to a Lvl III or IIII rifle plate to stop rifle bullets. I"m not sure many IIIa vests or plates will do it. IIIa is just pistols. You probably already know all this, but I thought the "3a+" part might confuse others.

kinghunter

Post by kinghunter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Uh Im in wi enjoy the out doors and hunt fish and just love being out side. Love to camp and hike. Not a huge over the walls prepper and just a basic one but , I feel im getting out to a good start.

kinghunter

Post by kinghunter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Paladin1 wrote:
ineffableone wrote:

^ I second this ^

Seems a common theme, SHTF and I'll go to the woods. You and thousands of other people, who may be armed, scared, jumpy, etc.
I live out in the country as a lot of people would say and I dont think there would be that many people out there because most people now a days would not have a clue about the wilderness, But i would agree there will probley be a higher percent of peolpe out there than on your regular day.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:03 pm

I have SAPI plates over level II panels out of a concealable vest all in a TAG havoc. total weight? 12.3 lbs. total cost? about $250. If you can afford a decent defensive carbine you can more then likely afford armor. If you see a need for the former maybe you should consider the latter.

Range use is an excellent reason, accidents happen. If you hear something in the night, why not throw it on? you're not covering 15 miles a day peeking into your living room. If the sociopolitical climate changes in your area and you decide maybe you DO want some armor after all, guess what is going to be really hard to find? If it gets really bad guess what will be a valuable trade good? through a series of crazy random happenstances I ended up with like 100lbs of kevlar. I nabbed it for sewing projects but it's a great asset to have around, even in the best of times. Gold coins are so cliche.

Id love to buy some UHMDPE rifle plates and drop another several pounds off my armor set up but I will be the first to admit that those are cost prohibitive. I had an Interceptor at one point and yeah, surplus armor is heavy and sucky.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”