Portable power solutions thread.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Portable power solutions thread.

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:25 pm

With the dependence on wireless devices increasing and growing numbers of electronic gear items which are powered via USB it's time to starting a thread which will encompass this topic. Portable power gear items like power packs, usb devices, batteries and solar chargers etc etc etc will be covered here. Show us your solutions. Reviews and questions are more than welcome.

Just for goofing around powering a 350 lumen USB powered light and cell phone at the same time with indirect winter sunlight though a window. Heck some parts of the high efficiency 14 watt panel are shaded.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Portable power solutions thread.

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:30 pm

I have two power packs that I love both made by Anker, one is a 10,000mwh the other is 15,000mwh. The 15k one has a little LED flashlight as kind of a cool feature.

I also picked up a Chinese special 14w Solar panel that I haven't had a good day to test it on. I don't remember the brand , but when I did test it, and try to power my phone directly it said that it wasn't compatible. But hooked up battery and charged it, which changed my phone worked well enough.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:44 pm

Halfapint wrote:I have two power packs that I love both made by Anker, one is a 10,000mwh the other is 15,000mwh. The 15k one has a little LED flashlight as kind of a cool feature.

I also picked up a Chinese special 14w Solar panel that I haven't had a good day to test it on. I don't remember the brand , but when I did test it, and try to power my phone directly it said that it wasn't compatible. But hooked up battery and charged it, which changed my phone worked well enough.
Yup a battery will almost always take a charge but with some phones if there is an inconstancy in the voltage etc they won't charge directly from a solar panel. My cheapo phone isn't picky in that regard. I think Goal zero recommends charging a battery pack first then use that to charge a phone or tablet. Granted there will be loss in the exchange but still it seems to work better for most. Anker battery packs get good review for a reason IMO. They also solar recharge well.

My new Anker 3200 mAh.

Anker 13000 mAh.

Anker claims to have smart USB ports which can optimize the rate of charge for a device. I have a Solio Bolt solar charger which needs to be selected for either standard or Apple to get the fastest rate, it's not automatic like Anker.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:46 pm

Duracell Powerhouse (Powerhouse is 2000 mAh) easy to charge, will recharge my cell phone to 100%

Also
Attached to the power cell, my Goal Zero Luna (now not available) 10 LED light bar provide hours of bright white light. The power cell has an on/off switch. Handy and light weight.

I can recharge the power cell from Das Auto with a cig lighter plug adapter.....

Small, lightweight, simple, no cords needed (a + and a -).
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:38 am

I've got the old-style GoalZero Guide 10 setup, which I use in 2 "tiers".

The "semi-static" tier is my Nomad 7 panel, and while I've not used them strapped to my pack I suspect that would prove problematic unless you're moving north. So I use it at basecamp to top things off. It has USB, 12V (car cigarette lighter), and a proprietary port. The 12V and USB allow for charging a pretty good array of items, battery packs or devices directly (I've charged my Galaxy Nexus and Nook Simple Touch Glow directly off of it, in 2-3 hours with good light); I've never charged anything with the 12V output. It's small enough that it's easy to pack.

The mobile tier (e.g. EDC and daypack carry) is the Guide 10 Plus battery pack: bulky for the power storage, but nice that you can power things from it or use it as a charger for AA(A) batteries. It outputs straight USB, so you could theoretically charge anything with a USB input with it. It's also got a single-LED light that's about equivalent in output to the small button-battery keychain lights; yay?

I used to carry a Duracell battery, an older version of TacAir's, and found it compact and with a decent energy capacity. I'm thinking of setting the GZ pack aside as a charger and backup, and replace with a higher-density unit for carry.

I have a couple USB chargers that have ended up in my truck's console, one of which gets regular use with my phone.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:35 pm

12 watt ALLPOWERS foldup solar charger using three 4 watt panels. At 37 dollars shipped on Amazon it's a deal IMHO. Can charge my cell phone and Guide 10 4XAA battery pack at the same time though for that stronger sunlight is best. Charges my phone at the rate of around 1% a minute.

16 watt ALLPOWERS folding solar charger using four 4 watt panels. Thinking about using this on the side of my tipi then running USB power cords for lights and charging batteries. That combined with the wood stove make the tipi like a little house.

I will do a review of both at a later date.

wyominglostandfound
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:50 pm

for long term power.... 2 lantern batteries run in series with alligator clips to a cig. adapter
I hunt therfore I am

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 am

wyominglostandfound wrote:for long term power.... 2 lantern batteries run in series with alligator clips to a cig. adapter
Lantern batteries aren't rechargeable are they? If what I'm thinking they are, those big ass Duracell monsters that weight like 5 lbs....

It's a great idea if you can recharge them, hook up your solar to them during the day, and at night connect them in series and run all the juice you need.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:50 am

Currently I use an Instapark Mercury 10 solar panel and a Tenergy 8000mah back-up battery which I'm waiting for the death of. I've now had 3 and had to make threats to get it covered under warranty, so never buy Tenergy!!

I'm wanting to find a smaller, more durable solar power option. The Instapark is excellent, but it doesn't pack well and I fear that it's going to be crushed every time I go out with my pack on. Also I'm looking into the rechargeable AA area, maybe at the Eneloop batteries and charger.

Thanks for starting this thread Woods Walker, now I can get some more ideas.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:27 am

Dragon80 wrote:Currently I use an Instapark Mercury 10 solar panel and a Tenergy 8000mah back-up battery which I'm waiting for the death of. I've now had 3 and had to make threats to get it covered under warranty, so never buy Tenergy!!

I'm wanting to find a smaller, more durable solar power option. The Instapark is excellent, but it doesn't pack well and I fear that it's going to be crushed every time I go out with my pack on. Also I'm looking into the rechargeable AA area, maybe at the Eneloop batteries and charger.

Thanks for starting this thread Woods Walker, now I can get some more ideas.
Eneloops for sure. The new ones are rated for 2100 cycles and hold a charge for years. I have a few USB type chargers which can be solar recharged but some are picky in that they will trigger an error if the sun goes behind a cloud etc. This one will charge cameras like the Sony or guessing Gopro, AA/AAA and other things as well. I tested it on the ALLPOWERS solar charger and seemed to work just fine.

There is always the Goal Zero 4XAA battery pack/charger. It can charge AA/AAA (though must do 4 at a time....WTF....LOL!) It can give a full charge to my phone, add some life to a tablet and run USB lights etc. Plus I can always use the batteries in another AA/AAA device like my GPS, radio, headlampl flashlight etc etc.

Blended in too well with the ground so added an orange sleeve and paracord. Here it is powering the firefly. Ordered 6-10 foot lengths of USB cord to make it into a hanging lantern.

The X-dragon is much like the Levin Sol-Wing 13W which is more flexible. Near as I can tell it's the same panel but cheaper.

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:42 am

So what would be a good charger to use for the Eneloops to be paired with solar power? I'm looking at the Solio chargers right now but I'm worried that their smaller ones wouldn't charge well enough to suit my needs.

Also, been reading reviews on the Poweradd Apollo 2 which looks to be a much better option and far less expensive.

50 Mission Cap

Post by 50 Mission Cap » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:20 am

Woods - speaking of the tent stove, have you ever thought of trying a thermoelectric generator module? Think Biolite stove scaled up. Looks like 19 watts for about $60 and works in the dark.

My concerns would be burning it up when the stove really gets going and what heat sink you might have to carry to put on the "cold" side. Think I'll buy one to fool with as I have a wood stove in the living room. 25 watts (or scale up to whatever I want to spend for the home stove) is a lot of power for LED lights or whatever during a power outage.

Eric

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:50 am

50 Mission Cap wrote:Woods - speaking of the tent stove, have you ever thought of trying a thermoelectric generator module? Think Biolite stove scaled up. Looks like 19 watts for about $60 and works in the dark.

My concerns would be burning it up when the stove really gets going and what heat sink you might have to carry to put on the "cold" side. Think I'll buy one to fool with as I have a wood stove in the living room. 25 watts (or scale up to whatever I want to spend for the home stove) is a lot of power for LED lights or whatever during a power outage.

Eric
I believe you're right about the principle. The (old) technology is based on heat differential. The colder the water or air contrasting the hot thermoelectric generator. I know of a few pots which have these generators in the bottom but haven't tried them.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:16 pm

I just got this guy last month. It's a 15000mAH capacity battery by Intocircuit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OSY ... UTF8&psc=1

Supposed to hold at least 2 full charges for an iphone. I got it to supplement/emergency back up for travel. I haven't drained it totally yet and to be honest a 70% charge to my phone only takes about 8% off the battery so far.

Can be charged in tandem with the phone (can plug in both to a wall to charge both at the same time), has 2 different usb outputs at 1.0 and 2.0A. It's about the same size as an iphone but twice as thick and 3 times as heavy at least, so it's not tiny or really pocket friendly. It is great to have in my bag though for just in case. Holds a charge for 6 months at least says the documentation.

And it was only $40. There is a new generation of this model out with less features for more money. Go figure. So far it gets a thumbs up.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:46 pm

Just throwing this out there. In full disclosure, I own solar cells and have yet to find the right thermoelectric option for myself.

Not all portable power generation needs to be solar in nature. There are some interesting thermoelectric offerings that have been coming on to the market.

The pros to something like this include the solar panels you carry serve one use. They're a solar panel and generate electricity. The thermoelectric offerings all have at least one other usage. In some cases the unit is also your stove, in most other cases the unit is also your container for boiling water.

Other benefits include that a solar panel can only generate electricity when the sun cooperates. At night they're just dead weight. When it's heavily overcast they basically don't function. This can mean that for multiple 24 hour periods in a row you may be entirely unable to generate new electricity.

Many solar cell companies advertise that a solar cell can be attached to a backpack for mobile usage. Well, solar cells are less effective if they're not at the proper 90 degree angle and directly facing the sun. So, if your solar cell is not directly facing the sun and being moved as the sun moves your power generation will not match the manufacturer's claimed power generation. This also means that if it's attached to your bag it has almost zero chance of meeting that requirement. Tying into this is the fact that if you've got the cells attached to your bag and you're walking/hiking under trees you will be unable to generate power while the sun's rays are blocked.

How thermoelectricity works:

Right now the big name in portable thermoelectricity is biolite. They have 3 offerings. One is a portable stove, one is a camp stove, and one is a kettle.
Biolite stove review from engineer775

Biolite kettle

Biolite basecamp

For a heavy power user, you do have the ability to place a pot/kettle style power generate on a stove style power generator. This allows your one fire to power two devices.

Some more options. The Power Pot and the Cup Charger

If you want to nerd out on this stuff, the youtube channel for EpicenterBryan is pretty much awesome.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:24 pm

I carry an Anker 3200 mAh battery daily.

I have a couple of other options.

I have the Guide 10 Plus battery pack from Goal Zero. 9,200 mAh with four 2,300 mAh AA energizer batteries) The Goal Zero rechargeable batteries are terrible (1/4 the power capacity from something like energizer), but the device works with other NiMH batteries so the Goal Zero batteries can be recycled. I will bring this car camping, but I wouldn't dream of carrying this if I was going somewhere on foot. I find this unit to be too heavy, and I've NEVER needed to have a dozen AA and AAA batteries and been thankful that I could draw power from them to power things with a USB cord. It sounded like a neat idea when I bought the thing, but if I had it to do over, I would not purchase this again.

I have an Enercell power pack. 2,400 mAh. I purchased this years ago when a 2,400 mAh device was awesome! I was happy with the purchase at the time, this is not something I would buy again today with where technology has advanced. I do like that the device is compact, light, and includes a male USB connector to recharge it rather than requiring a separate USB cable.

I have a Mycharge power pack I purchased recently. It stores 6,000 mAh. I purchased it because it has an output that will power an iPad and for a flight I was taking recently I wanted portable power for the iPad. This device is terrible! It has a button on it that will display it's current power in quarters (4 dots). I has another button that will turn on a single LED light, great right? No, awful! The light button depresses easily and if this is in a bag the light button is constantly being pressed and the battery drains over time. This device is a piece of garbage.

I have had other options in the past but I've gotten rid of them.

If I were to decide to buy another unit larger than the 3,200 I carry daily I would go with another Anker product.

In addition to carrying the Anker 3,200 mAh battery I carry the following cables:
USB to lightning for my iPhone 6
USB to mini USB
USB to micro USB

I have found that with these 3 cables I can charge anything I come across (no one I know uses the 30 pin apple devices anymore).

I have found that the most important thing for these cables is that the cable be as short as possible. Years ago I had a 30 pin apple cable for apple (iPhone 4 or older, or comparable iPods or iTouch), the awesome thing about it is that the cable was about 4 inches long. It was perfect for this usage where the charging device is literally next to the device being charged.

I currently use a system with retractable cables, but I would prefer to have shorter cables to reduce this (minor) weight.

A unit I'm currently curious about is the ZeroLemon SolarJuice. It's a 20,000 mAh battery (2A and 1A outputs) with a solar cell and it's advertised as being rain resistant and shockproof.
The biggest issue I have with this right now is that the solar cell produces roughly 700 mAh in 8 hours of ideal sunlight (the company website says it charges an iPhone (no specific model) to 50% in 8 hours). This means that in order for this solar cell to fully power it's own battery it requires 229 hours of ideal sunlight, which sounds TOTALLY LAME. Basically, this is a power source with a solar cell thrown in as a last resort.

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:58 pm

I've found the old Energizer Universal USB chargers to be pretty bomb-proof...they came in 2500mah and 5000mah sizes, and the 5K version had both a 5W and a 10W port for charging (2500 version only has a 5W port)...you can charge from both ports at the same time, either two different devices or the same one hooked to both ports for the full 15W charging...only drawback is that they're a little heavy, but that's offset by holding a charge for over a year, as I found out during a power outage over the summer...charged both my phone and my kindle fire HD at the same time without any problems, and still had charge leftover. They were a pain to find for a while, but checking around on Ebay and Amazon it looks like they're becoming easier to locate.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Univers ... B0092MD8OW

I also like the Black Diamond Revolt headlamp, which can recharge AAA batteries through a USB connection. Only downside is that you have to remove a small part of the battery cover on the negative port end so that it can make contact with the charging port in the headlamp (something they did to stop people from trying to recharge alkaline batteries apparently). Still, it's a nice option to be able to charge my batteries from the USB banks without having to carry another item...dual-purpose stuff is great in cases like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Rev ... B00AFDEKCG
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

williaty

Post by williaty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:40 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Just for goofing around powering a 350 lumen USB powered light and cell phone at the same time with indirect winter sunlight though a window. Heck some parts of the high efficiency 14 watt panel are shaded.

What's the 2-panel setup being used here?

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:56 am

Just ordered the Goal Zero charger and some Eneloop batteries, so I should be pretty good to go here combined with my Instapark.

Silent Kube
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of Romero's work, Shaun Of The Dead, Pretty much anything that keeps the reason for the outbreak somewhat vague.

Post by Silent Kube » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:29 am

Thanks for this thread WW. Mother nature has been teasing us with spring up here so I've been prepping my gear and have been considering some way to charge my devices so I can access my survival library while I'm in the bush. The ol' memory isn't what it used to be. I've been looking at the allpowers along with a battery of some sort plus maybe some rechargable aa/aaa batteries for lights and a small gmrs for emergencies.

I'm thinking of getting this battery because I ride my motorcycle to get to the trailhead and it could come in handy when I get back to the bike.
http://www.amazon.com/PowerAll-PBJS1200 ... uctDetails

I also ran across this the other day. It might be a good inexpensive option if you don't mind the extra weight. It should be good for several charges.
http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Pow ... s-Battery/
If you're going through hell; keep going... ~Winston Churchill

Forgive your enemies. But remember their names.

Non semper erit aestas
Jeriah wrote:I think we're all pretty much just bullshitting here, which is what the Internet is for. Besides porn.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:04 pm

Silent Kube wrote:I'm thinking of getting this battery because I ride my motorcycle to get to the trailhead and it could come in handy when I get back to the bike.
http://www.amazon.com/PowerAll-PBJS1200 ... uctDetails
If the bike dies, push it and pop the clutch. It's a lot cheaper than carrying around a battery. I've ridden a bike for about 10 years or so. I've come out to my bike with a dead battery exactly three times (each time it was my fault for leaving something on). On each occasion I've push started the bike (to be fair, I ride sport bikes, not a 900lb touring bike).

That battery from powerall is 12,000 mAh and it's $90 on amazon. I don't see a weight associated with it on the manufacturer's site and amazon's listed shipping weights are garbage.

This unit cannot be used to jumpstart your motorcycle (but, you just push the bike and pop the clutch, it's no big deal) but, the unit is better in most ways (33% cheaper, 43% more power, and takes up about 20% fewer cubic inches - without considering the jumper cables and such).
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Capaci ... er+battery
http://www.ianker.com/product/A1209011
It weighs 15.8oz. It costs $60 on amazon (right now). It stores 20,800 mAh power.

If the E6 model doesn't fit your needs exactly you could consider the E5 which is smaller, lighter and stores 16,000 mAh, or the E7 which stores 25,600 mAh and is the same size and weight as the E6.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:50 am

Awesome post!

My main solar rig (other than the two 50-watt panels on my man-cave) is a Goal Zero Nomad (I had two, but gave one to my dad, so I do need to re-up/expand my portable solar set-up.

I prefer the modular/tiered approach, so, with that, I have a larger power get-up that is for Vehicle Bug-Out/Camping, etc., with my smaller man-portable set-up included. I take the larger kit into the woods, or where ever, and take what I need out of the larger kit and put into my bag.

While I may get a dedicated power-pack that are all over the place now with smart phone explosion, I have learned that the power-packs that take common batteries are more user friendly in the long run, and under extenuating circumstances. Example, when the cell in your dedicated power pack starts to putter out, most of them are not user replaceable. Where as the battery power kits, once they go bad, I just replace them with new RC's. Also, the battery powered packs allow me to use multiple cell types.

E.G., I can keep a small stash of RC AA's topped off, and once those go out, and I can't recharge the pack due to overcast conditions, I can swap the RC cells out with other pre-charged RC's, or Alkaline AA's or lithium AA's. You can;t do that with dedicated power packs.

Here's my Goal Zero Nomad with a USB "splicer" so I can charge two things at once. These radio's are my fave as they have micro USB ports so I can charge them multiple ways.

Several of the adapters I keep in my larger power kit, again, allowing me more flexability:

Some Lithiums, Re-Branded Eneloops, and various Adapters/Misc coin cells, etc.

A cheap version of the Goal Zero Guide-10 Battery Pack is the new Rayovac Power Boost Recharge, which, is essentially the same thing as the Guide. Swap out the included alkalines with your RC of choice, and you have a cheap guide 10. I bought two...at $16, they are a good back up. Shown here also with my GMRS/FRS charging up two items at a time with a USB splicer

Close up of my two Rayovac Recharges, along with a smaller Rayovac Boost that takes CR123's, again, allowing for flexability. Shown on the CR123 Boost is a Micro USB/Lightning adapter for my I-Phone, which works with both adapters

And the lights indicating the power left in the pack:

And here's my vehicle power pack, with my man cave solar control rig seen in the back-ground. Again, options, options, options.

And, my power kit neatly packed up in my pelican:

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:09 am

angelofwar wrote:Close up of my two Rayovac Recharges, along with a smaller Rayovac Boost that takes CR123's, again, allowing for flexability. Shown on the CR123 Boost is a Micro USB/Lightning adapter for my I-Phone, which works with both adapters
Those Rayovac packs are pretty cool!!

They're similar to the Energizer 3x AA Pack I have:
Energizer Instant Charger for Micro USB Mobile Phones
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093GIME8/
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:15 am

williaty wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:Just for goofing around powering a 350 lumen USB powered light and cell phone at the same time with indirect winter sunlight though a window. Heck some parts of the high efficiency 14 watt panel are shaded.

What's the 2-panel setup being used here?
ALLPOWERS X-Dragon 14 watt.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”