Building a battle belt

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Re: Building a battle belt

Post by corrsk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:29 pm

Any thoughts on a streamlight sidewinder compact for the shoulder strap or maybe one on each strap?

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:14 am

corrsk wrote:Those hsgi pouches are on the very expensive side. I may eventually switch to those but I want to spend some time with the belt before I invest a ton of cash into it. Going with the hsgi belt and punches will cost well over $200.

As far as running a bladder I considered it and moved on. Those bladders are high maintenance. I've had them burst on me on 2 occasions . The other issue I have is your putting all your water in one container. If I have 2 canteens it serves as a redundancy and I can add drink mixes. I do need to add a dump pouch though.
This will fix all bladder woes. I've taken a spill, going about 30 off a 4 wheeler and onto my back, with this bladder and it didn't blink.
http://www.amazon.com/Source-Storm-Valv ... +hydration

Plus you can get these, which are the bees knees.
http://www.amazon.com/Source-Outdoors-M ... QJ897PYJS0

Keep in mind that these are generally considered a first-line system, and kept pretty light. A couple mags, basic FAK, pistol, knife, light, compass, and not much else. I've had moderate success building a ultra-lightweight 1-2 day hiking pack out of it, using suspenders and hydration pack covered in molle, but ditched the idea. Better off using the belt as an essentials only and wearing a pack. It's easy to start adding a bunch of gear onto it, but it will quickly become cumbersome and start flopping/folding over when too much stuff is on it or worn for extended periods. Especially when you start sweating. A stiffener, like an HDPE insert, will help. That's the experience I've had with mine anyway.

As somebody else posted, go check out this thread. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74377
There's tons of info. You'll see the evolution of some really good ones, by some really knowledgeable people. It'll save you money.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:22 am

corrsk wrote: Some sort of hydration. This is only a possibility as I don't want to offset the weight balance too much or add a lot of girth. Looking for ideas for a smaller hydration container
Check Out Canteen Shop, they have both traditional GI Canteen and Nalgene setups and most are MOLLE compatible.

http://www.canteenshop.com/kits.html

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:22 pm

After reading this thread, and taking three days off work to read the other battle belt thread, I was inspired to show where I'm at with my current set up. My old stuff was pretty old-school, my Beretta rig was pretty much a standard '90s ALICE pistol belt set up, with a few more mag pouches, and my 1911 rig was even older-school, basically all the high-speed low-dragness available in 1912. This is mainly for gun games at the range now, but will certainly be put into service if ever the sky is darkened with aliens or North Korean parachutes or something.

I've been working on this belt for about two seasons worth of weekend matches,

It's a MOLLE belt surplused from the Marines, I got it new from Old Grouch I think for around $30 shipped, it came with suspenders that I put on if I have more junk to mount.

My State Legislature has seen fit to restrict me to 10rd magazines, so I have to carry more mags than some of you do. The three cell mag pouch is from Tactical Tailor, it has some plastic retainer clips that give good retention on the mags, and also serve to let me use 1911 mags in the same pocket with the same level of retention. Maxpedition folding dump pouch, and a Maglight product that has rapid strobe, low power, and melting eye balls settings.

My GSW kit is figured around dealing with a wound resulting from an ND at the range. Will be updating the ACSs soon, just haven't decided on which, GI field dressing, 4" Izzy, and old-school tourniquet. I'd like to get a tear away pouch for this soon. Beretta and Serpa on a DOS adapter, very comfy, smooth draw for me,

If shit gets real, fo reelz, then this can either go in place of, or addition to, the pistol mags on the belt. I've shot several two gun matches with it, and it's acceptable for my purposes.

Three rifle and three pistol mags, rifle mags are set up with bullet button tools, I have a bottle of lube, extra mag release tool, and a spare bolt, firing pin, and retainer pin in the little pocket,
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

Robbie in ME

Post by Robbie in ME » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:12 pm

that TQ isn't worth shit

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:18 pm

I think what Robbie is trying to say in the nicest possible way is that a strap tourniquet does not hold as well as the various CATs out there with torsion bars. Personally I think it would be better than nothing but I would hate to rely on it.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Yeah, that will also get upgraded. When I'm through researching a replacement occlusive dressing, I'll move on to the TQ, but I think I'll be getting a CAT.

To be honest with you, the only thing I ever used a tourniquet for was lashing gear to the gurney back when I was an EMT-B. Tourniquets were out of fashion then, but I did hear of guys cranking the shit out of a bp cuff to help get the bleeding stopped, as it was within an EMTs scope of practice to apply a bp cuff.
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:13 pm

Looks like a pretty good set up. I've screwed around with mine a bunch of times and still am. I've added and removed a lot of stuff as I use it. I'm thinking about replacing the pistol mag pouches with all Hsgi they work so very well with a multitude of mags and other stuff. The ones I have on right now swap out with a allen wrench from the 45s to 40/9mm/357sig depending on what I want to shoot so does the holster. The dump pouch and knife have stayed I just keep changing out fak kits admin kits for stuff like binocs and small tools. I've added a canteen at times too. Mostly I keep rifle mags and the Fak kit on my chest rig though.

Here are a couple of pics of the current setup.

Then there is my state of the art 1965 set up that is the one I actually have the most time using lol.

ZS#4545

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:53 am

I dig that Israeli holster, do they make them for Berettas and 1911s?

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:02 am

Yep they make them for both beretta's and 1911's as well as a buttload of other guns. They have been tough holsters for me, I haven't been gentle with them. I like that you can change the back to molle or a paddle, drop leg and a couple other attachments as well. The nice thing is that its just one allen screw to change it out I just swap out holsters on the belt without having to do much of anything else.
ZS#4545

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:29 am

Stercutus wrote:Surprisingly durable and will hold all the mags and gerber for $20:

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Triple-Kan ... B0048Z9YPA

Comes in lots of colors too. Keep in mind though that when you stack like that you can run into problems with transition fire reloads. When you hang your rifle in front it may block the access to the mag pouches depending upon your set up. I find pistol pouches are better off a little bit to the side.
If you can spend more, and want more quality, consider HSGI's double-decker Tacos. They aren't cheap but are by all accounts the cat's goddamned vagina when it comes to quality and being able to grab shit in a hurry.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:04 pm

I do eventually plan to go with tacos

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:11 pm

Y'all should consider putting some distance between your pistol's grip and anything behind it. Sheath knives, vertically-oriented magazine pouches and collapsible batons are especially notorious for inhibiting access to one's sidearm when mounted directly behind a holstered pistol on a belt.

The problem above has cost police officers lives in the past. It warrants consideration.

Would anyone be interested in me posting images of my duty belt?
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Sure post it up. Just to be clear on my belt it looks like the sheath knife is close to the butt of my pistol, it is laying flat. Totally different on though its just past the point where it ends up on the back of my hip lol.
ZS#4545

Robbie in ME

Post by Robbie in ME » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:47 pm

hotlead wrote:Yeah, that will also get upgraded. When I'm through researching a replacement occlusive dressing, I'll move on to the TQ, but I think I'll be getting a CAT.

To be honest with you, the only thing I ever used a tourniquet for was lashing gear to the gurney back when I was an EMT-B. Tourniquets were out of fashion then, but I did hear of guys cranking the shit out of a bp cuff to help get the bleeding stopped, as it was within an EMTs scope of practice to apply a bp cuff.
that TQ you have is what was used when I retired in 95 we have come along way. They do work good as gear straps. If you get a chance to take a Dark Angel course its an eye opener.My thoughts get a CAT or SOFT wide, a couple of gauze packs, a dressing(Izzy, OLALES etc) and a HALO seal. If you got the money replace one of the gauzes with Combat QC LE or similar .

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21 pm

LJ126 wrote:Y'all should consider putting some distance between your pistol's grip and anything behind It. Sheath knives, vertically-oriented magazine pouches and collapsible batons are especially notorious for inhibiting access to one's sidearm when mounted directly behind a holstered pistol on a belt.

The problem above has cost police officers lives in the past. It warrants consideration.

Would anyone be interested in me posting images of my duty belt?
Sometimes when something round gets laid flat it seems out of sorts, plenty of room behind my pistol when I'm wearing it :wink:

I would also like to see your duty belt, probably something to learn from someone who wears one every day.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:04 pm

No Taser (yet) and I carry a few sets of flexcuffs in the odd chance that my one pair of S&W aren't enough. I did add an artificial amount of space between the items on the left side of the belt for the picture's sake, they're normally a bit closer. I use eight belt keepers of two different varieties; the fatter ones tend to lock the belt down to my inner belt better, the thinner keepers are wider and keep things from sliding around too close to each other.

The Glock 17 is bone stock, barring the night sights. I've installed a pair of Meprolight TruDots, green front/orange rear. The holster is a Safariland 200 "Top Gun," and is starting to show its age. Admittedly, seat belts and steering wheels take their toll on holsters, though all of my equipment has scuffs, scratches, and wear from use.

In the very near future, I'll be shedding the basketweave leather look and going to a completely nylon arrangement. I'll be needing the flexibility for after the police cyclist course.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:59 am

You keep your spare mags strong side? Although I suppose being horizontal would mitigate that issue.

LJ126

Post by LJ126 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:34 am

corrsk wrote:You keep your spare mags strong side? Although I suppose being horizontal would mitigate that issue.
Yeah. The pouch mounted horizontally is much more comfortable while sitting in a patrol vehicle, and is faster (for me, anyway.) If the magazine pouch is mounted vertically, it doesn't matter whether it's left or right of center. If I carried another magazine pouch, it would me vertically oriented, placed where the OC gel is located.

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:35 am

Robbie in ME wrote:
hotlead wrote:Yeah, that will also get upgraded. When I'm through researching a replacement occlusive dressing, I'll move on to the TQ, but I think I'll be getting a CAT.

that TQ you have is what was used when I retired in 95 we have come along way. They do work good as gear straps. If you get a chance to take a Dark Angel course its an eye opener.My thoughts get a CAT or SOFT wide, a couple of gauze packs, a dressing(Izzy, OLALES etc) and a HALO seal. If you got the money replace one of the gauzes with Combat QC LE or similar .
I left EMS as a profession in 1998, so my last level of experience is kinda showing in my GSW kit, I figured that by the time we got far enough into assessment and treatment of injuries to start thinking about TQs, EMS would've arrived or be very nearly so.

The old-school battle dressing will be replaced with the celox gauze, I have several packets of celox kitty litter spread around, I like that the exothermic reaction is diminished and that it works on folks that take blood thinners.

I've pretty much decided on a CAT, and when I get through rotating those in I'll use my old-school ones to secure my gas cans.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Hotlead you asked whether IMI made holster for the 1911 and beretta I just got around to take a couple pics with my 1911.

here the belt has a Glock21 holster on it

One allen screw to remove and you can see the paddle or molle attachment

Now with the 1911 attached

I don't have a beretta so no pics for that they make them in Od, Tan and black.
ZS#4545

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:10 pm

Sweet!

Thanks bro!

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Anytime they are pretty hard to beat for 25 bucks shipped.
ZS#4545

imweasel

Post by imweasel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:04 am

Does any of you have links for the belts that you showed here? I am still interested in getting a battle belt. Probably going with an H style harness.

Thanks!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”